PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

drake3781
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
I have a laptop problem and it seems to be getting worse. I'm living in fear of complete failure..... :scared: which will require a lot of time and money to fix.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-S460P laptop. It has Windows XP Professional OS.

Whenever I leave it on and unused for a while, then return, the mouse if frozen. (At least using the laptop mouse... I'm not sure what would happen with an external mouse but I think the same.)

Sometimes it is completely frozen, and sometimes I can move it around a little, but it does not track to the right movements and it changes its shape to various things.

I have to shut down any apps using the keyboard, then shut down the computer. It is OK when I restart........... but just tonight for the first time it was not OK when I restarted.... so it seems to be getting even worse. (I shut down again and waited a while and it's OK now.) Also I think it is starting to happen after smaller amounts of time leaving it alone.

I did call Sony once about it but they were no help... I can try again but I think my warranty is up now.

Anybody know what might be happening?!?!?

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
I have a laptop problem and it seems to be getting worse. I'm living in fear of complete failure..... :scared: which will require a lot of time and money to fix.

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-S460P laptop. It has Windows XP Professional OS.

Whenever I leave it on and unused for a while, then return, the mouse if frozen. (At least using the laptop mouse... I'm not sure what would happen with an external mouse but I think the same.)

Sometimes it is completely frozen, and sometimes I can move it around a little, but it does not track to the right movements and it changes its shape to various things.

I have to shut down any apps using the keyboard, then shut down the computer. It is OK when I restart........... but just tonight for the first time it was not OK when I restarted.... so it seems to be getting even worse. (I shut down again and waited a while and it's OK now.) Also I think it is starting to happen after smaller amounts of time leaving it alone.

I did call Sony once about it but they were no help... I can try again but I think my warranty is up now.

i would try with an external mouse. it may be a problem with the track pad.

drake3781
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
i would try with an external mouse. it may be a problem with the track pad.

I'll definitely try that next time it happens. :p

But to be clear, it tracks just fine normally. The problem only happens when it is not used for some time.

bw2082
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:04 AM
do you have any power management options on like sleepmode/suspend mode etc? There may be a problem with one of them. Try turning it off.

shava
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM

could be a virus ;)
use the external mouse and check the prob. If it still remains the case, then restore your lap top :p

drake3781
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:55 AM
do you have any power management options on like sleepmode/suspend mode etc? There may be a problem with one of them. Try turning it off.

OK, I'll look at that. It does go to sleep or whatever after it's not used for a while, but the mouse problem kicks in before the sleep thing does. I'll still check that.