PDA

View Full Version : Chinese government kills 50,000 dogs

Sam L
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:17 AM
China Massacres 50,000 Dogs in Anti-Rabies Campaign

Dogs Being Walked Seized From Their Owners and Beaten to Death on the Spot

By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN, AP

SHANGHAI, China (Aug. 2) - China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered crackdown after three people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.

Health experts said the brutal policy pointed to deep weaknesses in the health care infrastructure in China, where only 3 percent of dogs are vaccinated against rabies and more than 2,000 people die of the disease each year.

The five-day slaughter in Mouding county in Yunnan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, state media reported.

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported. Led by the county police chief, killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then beat the animals to death, the reports said.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their own dogs before the teams were sent in, they said.

The killings were widely discussed on the Internet, with both legal scholars and animal rights activists criticizing them as crude and cold-blooded. The World Health Organization said more emphasis needed to be placed on rabies prevention.

The official newspaper Legal Daily blasted the killings as an "extraordinarily crude, cold-blooded and lazy way for the government to deal with epidemic disease."

"Wiping out the dogs shows these government officials didn't do their jobs right in protecting people from rabies in the first place," the newspaper, published by the central government's Politics and Law Committee, said in an editorial in its online edition.

In an editorial, the official Xinhua News Agency said the killings wouldn't have been necessary if the local government had been more attentive, but called the slaughter "the only way out of a bad situation."

"If they'd discovered this earlier, they could have vaccinated the dogs and ... controlled the outbreak," the editorial said.

The killings prompted calls for a boycott of Chinese products from the activist group People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"We are urging everyone to actively boycott - not a word we use lightly - anything from China given the bludgeoning killing of thousands of dogs," PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said.

She said the group had canceled all orders of merchandise it sells that are made in China. Will Wright, at PETA's European office in London, said the orders were worth about $300,000.

"We believe other groups will join us in expressing outrage over the blatant cruelty to animals the world is witnessing," Wright said.

Mouding County officials defended the slaughter in a region where about 360 of the 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this year, with three people reportedly dying of rabies, including a 4-year-old girl.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.

Calls to county government offices went unanswered Tuesday. Located in mountains about 1,240 miles southwest of Shanghai, Mouding is famed for its Buddhist shrines.

Unlike in the West, where dogs have long been cherished as companions or helpmates, dogs have rarely had an easy time in China. Dog meat is eaten throughout the country, revered as a tonic in winter and a restorer of virility in men.

Following the communist seizure of power in 1949, dog ownership was condemned as a bourgeois affectation and canines were hunted as pests. Attitudes have softened in recent years, although urban Chinese are still subject to strict rules on the size of their pets and must pay steep registration fees.

About 70 percent of rural households now keep dogs, according to the Chinese Center of Disease Control and Prevention, and increased rates of dog ownership have been tied to a surge in the number of rabies cases in recent years. It said there were 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available.

Access to rabies treatment is also highly limited, especially in the countryside, said Dr. Francette Dusan, a World Health Organization expert.

Effective rabies control requires coordinated efforts between human health, animal health and municipal agencies and authorities, Dusan said.

"This has not been pursued adequately to date in China, with most control efforts consisting of purely reactive dog culls," she said.

What idiots the Chinese are. This is why I hope China never becomes a world power. I hope they are disgraced at the Olympics.

Cage
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
:sad: Thats so sad

Brooklyn90
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
that's sad!!!

so.krist!na
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
That's so sad.I feel very sad of these dogs. :sad: :hug:It's harsh :(
And..
please don't say Chinese are idiots.!!You can say the government is IDIOT..Have you ever been China?Do you know how many dogs are there in a big city?The environment has been damaged by dogs!!and the virus is spreading,so what should Chinese do??Tell me please.Don't kill the dogs,let the virus spread,then..?I guess you'll say Chinese government dont know how to handle things..

SelesFan70
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM
Why is PETA trying to impose their culture on China? Imperialist (and hypocrites!) :tape:

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
:sobbing:

idc if they were ruining the city, beating them so mericilessly is plain EVIL! At least put them down or something :shrug: :sad:

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:54 AM
wrong on so many levels, bad people care, bad animal care, bad management and bad (i.e. lacking) medicine.

UDACHi
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:58 AM
chinese government is evil. :sad:

shava
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:04 AM
First,I'd say it's really sad to see so many dogs killed. :sad:

Second, I believe most of the Chinese ppl especially those well educated youths feel the same as I do. some of them has already criticized the Massacre in their blogs and in some forums. here's one link http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/49985123010005e2

Thirdly, I've never heared of this Mouding county before. The economy and education in such places are relatively poor. I can imagine ppl there are not well informed about the precausions of rabies. I agree that it's the local government's fault. You can say the head of the county is a fuckin idiot!

However, I don't think it's right to generalize. Most Chinese ppl are against the massacre, and it's not the national government who gave the bloody order.

For all the dogs killed,R.I.P.

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:09 AM
First,I'd say it's really sad to see so many dogs killed. :sad:

Second, I believe most of the Chinese ppl especially those well educated youths feel the same as I do. some of them has already criticized the Massacre in their blogs and in some forums. here's one link http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/49985123010005e2

Thirdly, I've never heared of this Mouding county before. The economy and education in such places are relatively poor. I can imagine ppl there are not well informed about the precausions of rabies. I agree that it's the local government's fault. You can say the head of the county is a fuckin idiot!

However, I don't think it's right to generalize. Most Chinese ppl are against the massacre, and it's not the national government who gave the bloody order.

For all the dogs killed,R.I.P.

here is a translation of the blog entry from google

Morning to see a news, a county because dogs bite, the county decided to slaughter all the home dogs, a total of over 54,000 only news of the dog carcasses everywhere, a deputy magistrate spoke : We do not know which dog is sick, we can all massacres all dogs. I think this county can be remembered in history, because history is an unprecedented large-scale slaughter of dogs or, perhaps unrepeatable, more than 54,000 people had been burned, cruel massacre, dogs are not human friends? These people may have a variety of reasons, because there is a lot of the epidemic, but the approach is too broad a Ah, we think they are the county's dog killed, those nearby counties? Was not to be killed? But not a vaccine? Fully documented to be at least keeping the miss! Killing indeed very Shuanga, killing finished gone after this is a how a simple logic, in other words, despite the time it was a battle of a local, but also one of the killed? Of course not, because I agree, but the dog can? If the animal protection organizations know that the things that I think would indicate the sky, and not because some human presence on all dogs go all out capital offence! Is it because some of the murderers presence to the eradication of all mankind?! Even the avian flu, mostly using vaccination Ah, but this is by default Oh, and dogs carrying the virus analogy is that individuals have a total knowledge, do not do preventive work, once the problems of responsibility to put on a dog pushing, and then to a grand and spectacular slaughter of dogs, how sad! Dogs are wrong? They born with the virus on you, why not do the management work. Vaccination, according to their logic, not the dog, can not raise poultry, pigs can not support, since they may have now, how a gangster logic! Let us sad now, I only for the 54,000 dogs were burned massacre sorrow for the managers of these hasty just sad, and perhaps also in memory of those dogs think she voted the wrong place!

drake3781
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
The animal and human suffering is well beyond my power to comprehend. Shocking, horrific, cruel.

shava
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
wow, the power of google,lol,thanks for that, Jigglypuff.

spudrsca
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Come on. If the dogs are not vaccined and have virus. I don't see the problem in killing them.
If they would have done nothing, you would have also criticise them.

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
Come on. If the dogs are not vaccined and have virus. I don't see the problem in killing them.
If they would have done nothing, you would have also criticise them.
ugh.... did you not read the article???

1-they were BEATEN to death
2-they killed dogs (by method of savage beating) without knowing whether or not they had rabies.

Martian Stacey
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:45 AM
That is so horrible :sad: Why did they beat them? I don't understand how anyone could do that to a defenseless animal :(

hdfb
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Declare your hate for the government as you will, but don't dare to even start to include Chinese citizens in this.

I strongly dislike the Chinese government, but please remember, it is NOT the citizen's fault, only the government.

galadriel
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

!Gio!
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:05 AM
That is so brutal, how barberic, poor dogs, anyone who can treat a living thing like this is a killler, a barbarian, amazing how they allow this to happen, I understand putting them to sleep atleast, but this is just saddistic.

>>krew<<
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
fucking slack. no offense but i'd like to fucking beat the shit out of that chinese goverment, see how it feels...:sad: thats fucked.

vw.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM
Declare your hate for the government as you will, but don't dare to even start to include Chinese citizens in this.

I strongly dislike the Chinese government, but please remember, it is NOT the citizen's fault, only the government.
Agreed.

The way they treat the dogs is utterly inappropriate, evil and uncalled for, I definitely agree, but you cannot generalize and insult all Chinese people based on the some of the unfortunate brutal decisions the government makes.

Diam's
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
anyway,i dont like France....:haha::ras:The audience are stupid..they really love hiss..Poor Serena :hug:
:sad: :bigcry: :sobbing: :tears:

:secret: Sam L is not French :p

furrykitten
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Thats sick :sad:

morningglory
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
awww... :sad: I love dogs; I got five of them at home ;)
Why can't the government just do a simple thing like pass a law to vaccinate them like other places?
and btw 63 cents for the owners to kill their dogs is disgraceful... that must indeed be a poverty-ridden region of China

Kenny
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Just unreal.

so.krist!na
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
:sad: :bigcry: :sobbing: :tears:

:secret: Sam L is not French :p
well..:rolleyes: :lol:
but i really dislike the audience...not all the French..:hug:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:54 AM
fucking assholes!

what i hate most is that i'm powerless to stop this!

:mad: :mad: :sobbing:

Pheobo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM
That could have been handled in such a better way. :sad:

Vut
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
:sad:

Williams Rulez
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM
disappointing... :(

controlfreak
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:09 AM
In other news, 257 new Korean restaurants have sprung up in China over the past 3 days..... :scared:

Ryan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
That's awful. I can't believe the government would do that, instead of, oh, I don't know, keeping dogs healthy and rabies free?

Martian KC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Did they not want to at least use their precious bullets?:rolleyes:

My gawd, this is just heartbreaking. Wrong on so many levels.

CooCooCachoo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
To the thread poster,

China is already a world power. It ruins the environment and is the placenta of the current economy.

Oneofakind0490
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
This is so sad:sad:

I cant believe they killed 50,000 dogs because 3 people died of the billion people in China:eek:.

Ems__
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Killing them in such a way is unforgivable.

But before everyone starts stereotyping the Chinese, I think its important to acknowledge the facts, from what I gathered this is a poor province, the standard of living is probably well below the poverty line coupled with little education, I can't imagine dogs being valued too highly.
When everyday is a battle to survive and the possibility of rabies is high...you want to do everything to eliminate that threat...however the killing of the dogs is beyond my (skewed and very western) comprehension.

By the way, how come no one complained when thousands of chicken were being slaughtered because of the possibility of bird flu? Wild guess here..it was a threat to your existance. Its funny how we as humans operate..

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:21 PM
The poster of this thread is clearly racist considering all his previous anti-Chinese posts.

no need to generalise mate, the gov and the ppl do not equate on views and beliefs.

Dexter
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
That's beyond everything.

CC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
So much to be outraged about, so little energy. I'm gonna save my emotional outrage on this in light of other happenings in the world right now.

http://www.moiz.ca/coffin.htm

Gerri
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:47 PM
So much to be outraged about, so little energy. I'm gonna save my emotional outrage on this in light of other happenings in the world right now.

http://www.moiz.ca/coffin.htm

Some of us have enough compassion to be outraged by more than one thing at a time. Treating animals like that is barbaric and indefensible.

Ellery
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
The poster of this thread is clearly racist considering all his previous anti-Chinese posts.

no need to generalise mate, the gov and the ppl do not equate on views and beliefs.
Indeed.

CC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Some of us have enough compassion to be outraged by more than one thing at a time. Treating animals like that is barbaric and indefensible.

While it is sad, I don't see it as something to be "outraged" over. Yes, it is a lazy, barbaric solution to the problem but in their viewpoint it is defensible. They killed dogs to prevent the death of human beings.

Also bear in mind that there is a cultural difference here. This is an animal that they eat; I imagine it is as easy for them to kill dogs as we kill chickens.

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
While it is sad, I don't see it as something to be "outraged" over. Yes, it is a lazy, barbaric solution to the problem but in their viewpoint it is defensible. They killed dogs to prevent the death of human beings.

Also bear in mind that there is a cultural difference here. This is an animal that they eat; I imagine it is as easy for them to kill dogs as we kill chickens.
i have seen many a chicken in my day for food (i spent my early years in a farm), but NEVER were they beaten to death. indeed the act of beating something to death makes it unfit for consumption. not to mention, that most chinese do not eat dog meat.

i think you are doing a disservice to any point you are trying to make, by your own ignorance and indifference.

Gerri
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

I see barbaric behaviour and animal cruelty as something to be outraged over - a probably do most of the dog owners. Even if they 'had' to kill the dogs the method they used is indefensible.

CC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
i have seen many a chicken in my day for food (i spent my early years in a farm), but NEVER were they beaten to death. indeed the act of beating something to death makes it unfit for consumption. not to mention, that most chinese do not eat dog meat.

i think you are doing a disservice to any point you are trying to make, by your own ignorance and indifference.

Unlike in the West, where dogs have long been cherished as companions or helpmates, dogs have rarely had an easy time in China. Dog meat is eaten throughout the country, revered as a tonic in winter and a restorer of virility in men.

Following the communist seizure of power in 1949, dog ownership was condemned as a bourgeois affectation and canines were hunted as pests. Attitudes have softened in recent years, although urban Chinese are still subject to strict rules on the size of their pets and must pay steep registration fees.

About 70 percent of rural households now keep dogs, according to the Chinese Center of Disease Control and Prevention, and increased rates of dog ownership have been tied to a surge in the number of rabies cases in recent years. It said there were 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available.

The bolded sections highlight the traditional cultural sentiment towards dogs, and therefore I think the point I am trying to make is still firmly intact. Plus, the government sees that increased dog ownership means increased cases of rabies. If they do not have the resources necessary to go into deep rural areas to dispense rabies vaccine, then I suppose trying to wipe them out is the next best solution. The means by which they chose to do it is barbaric, but how else would one suggest they do it in a cost effective, efficient way?

Gas them :help:
Strangle them :help:
Burn them :help:
Lethal injection???

I'm not too versed on mass killings so I have no idea what method would have been more acceptable.

And I am not indifferent, just rational and not some fake-compassionate like you Jiggly and many of the posters I see who are all up in arms when they hear of cases such as these, but can't emote the same kind of tenderness for fellow human beings.

CC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
I see barbaric behaviour and animal cruelty as something to be outraged over - a probably do most of the dog owners. Even if they 'had' to kill the dogs the method they used is indefensible.

See post #45.

samsung101
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Not to mention thousands of little baby girls, since
boys are more wanted in the 1-child society.

Or the people who are killed for just not being
good Communists.

Or the people who are killed for speaking up
in public or trying to be a Christian or a Mormon
or anything else not desired by the leaders.

But, oh no, 50,000 dogs.