PDA

View Full Version : Joel Drucker muses on ramifications of Lindsay's retirement

partbrit
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
Drucker, in this thoughtfully written article, talks about his wish that Lindsay had done more to promote tennis. It is a criticism written by someone who obviously admires her.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/9581152/rss

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:13 AM
It is a nice article. The picture of Lindsay is cute as well.

SelesFan70
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
What I'll miss even more is her first-rate ball-striking skills. No one in the 10 years has been as good as Davenport at making repetitive, concussive contact with the ball. She is tennis' version of a baseball player who rarely swings at a bad pitch

The sound from Lindsay racket will be sorely missed when she does retire. :worship:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:41 AM
The thing that depresses me is the fact that he tends to speak of Lindsay as if she has already left. She hasn't...yet.
It's a well written article and is probably one of the few critizisms people have on her. She's is no nonsense. She plays tennis, she isn't a celebrity. But as he says, he doubts Lindsay is thinking about a post tennis career in the sport. And it's her choice to what she does post tennis.
But I think the main theme of the article is how missed she will be when she does leave. And I think a lot of people hope she has one more season of health and success in her.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:03 AM
Drucker is a rare species - a good tennis writer.

Lindsayfan32
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I think in one case Joel Ducker has got it wrong. He says Lindsay doesn't do enough to promote the game. Well she turned pro in 1994 and played part time for two years before that so by maths thay's 15 years and she doesn't like the spotlight so isn't about time someone else did it. Lindsay did serve on the player association board from quite a number of years and won the Diamond aces award three time sthat I can remeber and that's an award voted for by tournment directors for the player that best promotes the game off the court. I could go on but I will stop now.

Jakeev
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM
I think in one case Joel Ducker has got it wrong. He says Lindsay doesn't do enough to promote the game. Well she turned pro in 1994 and played part time for two years before that so by maths thay's 15 years and she doesn't like the spotlight so isn't about time someone else did it. Lindsay did serve on the player association board from quite a number of years and won the Diamond aces award three time sthat I can remeber and that's an award voted for by tournment directors for the player that best promotes the game off the court. I could go on but I will stop now.

That's why although the writer had good intentions, he really needed to do his homework about Lindsay.

She has done well on tour and just because she never promoted cameras, iced tea, fancy cars and did commercials about restaurants in bikinis doesn't mean she has not promoted the game.