PDA

View Full Version : What male player's style most matches your favs?

vwfan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
Well, for my fav, I need a male player who has a big serve, serious groundstrokes, a champion's fight, incredible movement, but struggles with consistency.

For Vee, I'd say Safin though Vee is so super cool on the court that Safin doesn't fit in terms of on court demeanor.

Who would you say for your fav?

supergrunt
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:47 AM
I'd say Serena is like Safin. They both have tempers, they both move well, and they both hit the felt of the ball!!!!!!!! :D

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:01 AM
Daniela's like Federer. :inlove:

Mixes power with variety. ;)

Lefty.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
I'd say Serena is like Safin. They both have tempers, they both move well, and they both hit the felt of the ball!!!!!!!! :D

I think thats a great comparison for both Serena and Venus. When they're at their best and confident, they can beat just about anybody. But when they're not playing good at all, they can crash and burn to somebody they should be clobbering.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:08 AM
Lindsay is like Agassi.
They're both great strikers of the ball. Their supreme fitness came later in their career.
Their best slam is the Australian.

LoveFifteen
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:25 AM

In Daniela's case, I guess you mean she's got a wide variety of unforced errors.

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
justine-Federer!
dementieva-Nalbandian :o

hingisGOAT
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:29 AM
hingis is... very one of a kind :angel:

switz
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM

i would have agreed a bit in 2002. Not any longer though

switz
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Patty is a mentally strong version of Xavier Malisse IMO - and that's really saying smething about Xavier mental strength :o they really do have very similar shot production in every respect IMO

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:41 AM

lol thatīs ridiculous.

Davenselesport
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:46 AM
Hingis... Santoro?

Perfection
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM

:rolls:

Perfection
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
Hingis... Santoro?

Kournikova = Santoro
Hingis = Federer

égalité
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hingis-Federer

Schnyder-Santoro

Nicole-James Blake

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:52 AM
Schnyder-Rios (i donīt think you canīt explain that much, just watch them play, so similar IMO)
Rafter-Sabatini (Both great artist on court, Rafter could serve better whereareas Sabatini was better from the back of the court, but both great at net and that one handed backhand)
Seles-Nadal (Mental Strenght)
Graf-Lendl (Both with that flat forehand and serve to command the points, great athletes, its just the only player i can recall having a similar style to Steffi).

hurricanejeanne
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:55 AM
Lindsay is like Agassi.
They're both great strikers of the ball. Their supreme fitness came later in their career.

Agreed, lol, you beat me to it.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:56 AM
Hingis... Santoro?
They way the use the court and all of the spins, but the comparisson ends soon as Hingis is just great to watch, her strokes so fluid, while watching Santoroīs stlyle :help: please i hate watching him.
I would like to compare Santoro with Tauziat, both unortodox games using every inch of the court.
Hingis would be more like to an Agassi of his late carreer, using consistency at top notch to win. Pierce of last year was so smart as well, she reminded me of Agassi too, so inteligent, knowing when to hit hard, when to back off.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:58 AM
Canīt believe no one seems the similarities between Tood Martin and Lindsay Davenport. Great serves, great groundies, both could hit any shot in the book, not that good on clay, both had problems closing out big matches, and both incredible great persons off the court, always very polite...
Indeed Davenport-Martin

hurricanejeanne
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:59 AM
Lindsay is like Agassi.

I agree with the Lindsay/Andre comparisson

Also, I do think there is a similarity to Serena and Marat. When they are on, they are difficult to beat but when they are off... :tape:

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:04 AM
Lindsay is like Agassi.
Agassi was a better athlete on the mens side in comparisson to Lindsay for the women, Agassi was very quick on the court while Lindsay was not.
And Agassi was mentally stronger.
Agassi relies on his return of serve, quick reflexes and great anticipation as main weapons.
Lindsay relies more on her serve i think, and quick is not among Lindsayīs best qualities.
Both are great champions, but watching Agassi does not make me remmember Lindsay the least, the same when watching Lindsay, i donīt see Agassi like tennis there.

Milito22
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:05 AM
ESBETA IS LIKE NALBANDIAN FOR 3 REASONS:

1_TWO-HANDED BACKHAND
2_BLONDES
3_BIG NOSE
http://images.supersport.co.za/KuznetsovaSvetlana060329victoriusGbg.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41038000/jpg/_41038404_nalbandian4_afp220.jpg

matthieu_tennis
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
gaudio and henin for the backhand lOl :bounce:

PatrickRyan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:08 AM

not even close :)

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:08 AM
:ras: @ all the people who laughed at my Daniela/Roger comparison. :sad:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
In Daniela's case, I guess you mean she's got a wide variety of unforced errors.

Hey bitch, she can keep it in the court. She actually has finished a match with more winners than UE's several times this year. :angel:

iPatty
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
i'd say patty and marcelo rios. she actually said that she based her game around his, because she loves the way he played. :) i would compare her to jarkko nieminen, too. all have similar tactics.

No Name Face
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM
Dementieva/Nalbandian, except Nalby's backhand is his biggest asset and Dementieva's biggest asset is her forehand. However, I get the comparison more because of career parallels than actual game. Both can beat anyone if they're on, can lose to anyone when off. Both have been in the top 5, both can trouble the top players, both don't win as much as they should (although Nalbandian won YEC --- I'm waiting for Dementieva to win something really big...a Tier 1 was a good first step). But yeah...they both have powerful ground games and are pretty decent all-surface players (Elena's not as bad on grass as people think she is).

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Dementieva/Nalbandian, except Nalby's backhand is his biggest asset and Dementieva's biggest asset is her forehand. However, I get the comparison more because of career parallels than actual game. Both can beat anyone if they're on, can lose to anyone when off. Both have been in the top 5, both can trouble the top players, both don't win as much as they should (although Nalbandian won YEC --- I'm waiting for Dementieva to win something really big...a Tier 1 was a good first step). But yeah...they both have powerful ground games and are pretty decent all-surface players (Elena's not as bad on grass as people think she is).

Nalbandian seems to be more of a counter-puncher to me. Elena is definitely not a counter-puncher. :o

SzavayFi
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:36 AM
Derek Ill agree with you :hug:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
Serena game style reminds me of Nalbandian a little.

:spit:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:40 AM
Derek Ill agree with you :hug:

Thanks Ernie! :hug:

No Name Face
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
Nalbandian seems to be more of a counter-puncher to me. Elena is definitely not a counter-puncher. :o

he's not a counter-puncher. he takes way more initiative than say hewitt, who's probably the best counter-puncher of our generation...coria's the best on clay. or was the best. :unsure:

and elena is not always aggressive. she should be, but she's defensive a lot of times in her matches.

Stamp Paid
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM
Serena game style reminds me of Marat Safin.

50Sense
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:45 AM
I think Serena plays a lot like Safin, especially because they are both strong movers. And they both have hot streaks and not so hot streaks.

No Name Face
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:45 AM
Amelie/Federer

Amelie's not as good, because of the forehand and her mental state. Other than that, there are definite parallels. At any rate, I think Amelie's game is more remiscent of Federer then say, Henin.

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Serena game style reminds me of Marat Safin.

Changing your mind from Nalbandian, eh? :p

Dan23
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Kirilenko and Hewitt to some degree

Stamp Paid
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:54 AM
Changing your mind from Nalbandian, eh? :p

I got them confused.

Tennisation
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM

Mixes power with variety. ;) :lol: April fools was so 4 months ago

josemanuel
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:26 AM
Iīd say Hingis and Nalbandian

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:30 AM
:lol: April fools was so 4 months ago

You need to stop drinking that haterade! :ras:

Tennisation
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:32 AM
You need to stop drinking that haterade! :ras:only if u'd share the weed u were smokin' when u were makin' that statement :cool:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
only if u'd share the weed u were smokin' when u were makin' that statement :cool:

:rolleyes:

The statement is not that far off. When Daniela is playing well she mixes her powerful groundstrokes with net play, variety, touch, etc. like Federer does.

I don't mean she's like him by results. :retard: I don't mean her shots are at his level, I just mean she uses her game similar to how he does.

I also don't mean she's like when she sucks either. :o

LUIS9
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:44 AM
Canīt believe no one seems the similarities between Tood Martin and Lindsay Davenport. Great serves, great groundies, both could hit any shot in the book, not that good on clay, both had problems closing out big matches, and both incredible great persons off the court, always very polite...
Indeed Davenport-Martin

True and both very tall. They even have similar forehands, even on the take back.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:52 AM
:rolleyes:

The statement is not that far off. When Daniela is playing well she mixes her powerful groundstrokes with net play, variety, touch, etc. like Federer does.

I don't mean she's like him by results. :retard: I don't mean her shots are at his level, I just mean she uses her game similar to how he does.

I also don't mean she's like when she sucks either. :o
At first it was funny because i thought you were just making a joke but actually defending that statement is simply nuts.
There is nothing alike between Federerīs game and Hantuchova, donīt be delusional and ridiculous.
Federer has a poweful forehand with some topspin on it, while Hantuchova has a much more flat stroke. Backhand should we even mention it?. Serve?
Volleys? First Hantuchova is not a threat at net like Federer is to his oponnents, lets not even mention about their capability to defend and win from the net. :lol: @Hantuchova :rolleyes:
Federer is a natural player who seems effortless around the court, he can attack and defend, he can play anywhere on the court while Hantuchova is more of a mecanical player, with tons of errors and with lots of troubles when having to move and defend.
Only a hilarious and crazy person would think that watching Hantuchovaīs game would make you remmember of Federerīs :lol:

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:56 AM
Hingis with Federer, not because of the power, but because of the great touch they both have, and the way the game comes so natural for both of them.
Although i find similarities between Henin and Federer too.

Junex
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
Justine - Federer :angel: :angel: :p
Maria - Roddick :devil: :devil:
Sesil - Coria :help: :tape: :lol:
Elena D. - Nalbandian :cool:
Anna Chakvetadze - Agustin Calleri (because he is super HOT!!!!)
Nicole V. - Mario Ancic :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
:spit:

*death*

and you compared Federer to Danka! :spit:
the nerve!

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:18 AM
At first it was funny because i thought you were just making a joke but actually defending that statement is simply nuts.
There is nothing alike between Federerīs game and Hantuchova, donīt be delusional and ridiculous.
Federer has a poweful forehand with some topspin on it, while Hantuchova has a much more flat stroke. Backhand should we even mention it?. Serve?
Volleys? First Hantuchova is not a threat at net like Federer is to his oponnents, lets not even mention about their capability to defend and win from the net. :lol: @Hantuchova :rolleyes:
Federer is a natural player who seems effortless around the court, he can attack and defend, he can play anywhere on the court while Hantuchova is more of a mecanical player, with tons of errors and with lots of troubles when having to move and defend.
Only a hilarious and crazy person would think that watching Hantuchovaīs game would make you remmember of Federerīs :lol:

It was a joke, but I do see some similarities. Sorry If you don't agree with me, but I really don't care what you think. And Daniela isn't a bad volleyer. She's not a top 10 double player for no reason. :wavey: Maybe you should watch her when she attacks and comes to net. And I wasn't talking about her whole game. I pointed out like 3 things. Geez, get a life. :rolleyes: Saying Daniela can't volley and isn't a threat at net is total :bs:. I was talking about three things that are alike in their games. They both like to come in after good approach shots, they have variety, and they use touch. You on the otherhand made it sound like I was comparing their whole entire game. I'm not that stuck up Daniela's ass. :rolleyes:

Mana
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Leanne Baker - Federer

Not skill wise! (Anneker sux compared to Rodge)
But both have great single handed back hands, can hit with extreme power or mix it up. Altho I think Annekers serve is better.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
It was a joke, but I do see some similarities. Sorry If you don't agree with me, but I really don't care what you think. And Daniela isn't a bad volleyer. She's not a top 10 double player for no reason. :wavey: Maybe you should watch her when she attacks and comes to net. And I wasn't talking about her whole game. I pointed out like 3 things. Geez, get a life. :rolleyes: Saying Daniela can't volley and isn't a threat at net is total :bs:.
No you get a life and facts straight.
Federer is not even a top 100 in doubles and that does not make him a bad volleyer.
Im not saying Daniela CANīT volley at all, but you donīt see her chiping and charging and get to the net, she comes in to close out the points off easy putaways is not like she goes to the net and win the point from there for godīs sake.
I challenge you to tell me which stroke between the two you find a similatiry between Federer and Hantuchova, then comeback with a reasonable reason different than "powerful groundstrokes with net play, variety, touch" with no reasons.
Please, how ridiculous Hantuchovaīs strenghts are not even net play, variety or touch :lol:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM
No you get a life and facts straight.
Federer is not even a top 100 in doubles and that does not make him a bad volleyer.

I challenge you to tell me which stroke between the two you find a similatiry between Federer and Hantuchova, then comeback with a reasonable reason different than "powerful groundstrokes with net play, variety, touch" with no reasons.
Please, how ridiculous Hantuchovaīs strenghts are not even net play, variety or touch :lol:

She's has some of the best volleys on tour. Not the best, but she's up there. And she does have great touch. You should see her drop volleys. And she does have variety. She has great drop shot, slice, drop volley, angles, etc. If you don't know this then you have no job in commenting on what I said. :retard: I'm not saying she does this all of them time, but when she's playing good tennis she does most of this.

Federer isn't a good doubles player, because he hardly ever plays doubles. Daniela plays doubles almost every tournament she plays.

Last time I checked, you have to have good volleys to be a top 10 doubles player, and have 4 career mixed grand slam titles! :wavey:

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM
She's has some of the best volleys on tour. Not the best, but she's up there. And she does have great touch. You should see her drop volleys. And she does have variety. She has great drop shot, slice, drop volley, angles, etc. If you don't know this then you have no job in commenting on what I said. :retard: I'm not saying she does this all of them time, but when she's playing good tennis she does most of this.

Federer isn't a good doubles player, because he hardly ever plays doubles. Daniela plays doubles almost every tournament she plays.

Last time I checked, you have to have good volleys to be a top 10 doubles player, and have 4 career mixed grand slam titles! :wavey:
She can have 100 GS in mixed doubles but her style at the net is NOT to construct the point from there, she does there to finish off points.
You canīt compare the way Daniela goes to the net, after a great groundstroke producing a short ball and move in to close out the play, to the way a player like Federer goes there, he even serves and volley some, chip and charges.

Serena Williams has 2 mixed grand slam titles and many GS doubles titles and she is hardly among the best volleyers. The same thing with Hantuchova.

Think a little before saying something that wild. Agassi and Nadal can finish off points at the net, capable to close out the play there, but that does not make them great volleyers like Rafter, Edberg or Sampras were.

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM
She can have 100 GS in mixed doubles but her style at the net is NOT to construct the point from there, she does there to finish off points.
You canīt compare the way Daniela goes to the net, after a great groundstroke producing a short ball and move in to close out the play, to the way a player like Federer goes there, he even serves and volley some, chip and charges.

Serena Williams has 2 mixed grand slam titles and many GS doubles titles and she is hardly among the best volleyers. The same thing with Hantuchova.

Think a little before saying something that wild. Agassi and Nadal can finish off points at the net, capable to close out the play there, but that does not make him a great volleyer like Rafter, Edberg or Sampras were.

I'm not saying her volleys are like Federer, I was comparing the fact that she can come to net off approach shots like he does. I'm not the first one to say this. And Daniela has at least top 20 volleys of the current active players. Daniela is great at creating shots at net. In doubles with Sugiyama she often ends points by volleys. A lot of them are drop volleys too, which you need to have great hands and touch to do so.

What made me mad was you saying she can't volley because that's total :bs:.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:47 AM
I'm not saying her volleys are like Federer, I was comparing the fact that she can come to net off approach shots like he does. I'm not the first one to say this. And Daniela has at least top 20 volleys of the current active players. Daniela is great at creating shots at net. In doubles with Sugiyama she often ends points by volleys. A lot of them are drop volleys too, which you need to have great hands and touch to do so.

What made me mad was you saying she can't volley because that's total :bs:.
The question here is about similar games, not about if Daniela or is not a complete player, she is a complete player because she can hit any shot in the book, i will give that one to you, but go to the extent to compare her game to Federerīs is among the most ridiculous things i have ever read on this board. Period.
Now its time to leave :wavey:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM
The question here is about similar games, not about if Daniela or is not a complete player, she is a complete player because she can hit any shot in the book, i will give that one to you, but go to the extent to compare her game to Federerīs is among the most ridiculous things i have ever read on this board. Period.
Now its time to leave :wavey:

You just said she can hit any shot in the book, and so can he. That's what I meant when I was comparing them. I compared them on 3 things, not everything like for some reason you think I did. :wavey:

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
You just said she can hit any shot in the book, and so can he. That's what I meant when I was comparing them. I compared them on 3 things, not everything like for some reason you think I did. :wavey:
I think you did not read the question of the thread..
Svetalana, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, Petrova just to name a few are complete players too not because of this their stlye of play are similar to Federerīs. :rolleyes:
Then a bunch of complete players play similar style to Federer just because they are complete players? :lol:

vwfan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Agreed, lol, you beat me to it.I absolutely agree. That is a great comparison.

vwfan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
:ras: @ all the people who laughed at my Daniela/Roger comparison. :sad:exactly! you can see your fav any way you like, but i knew some would decide to critique others comparisons. welcome to wtaworld!

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
Henin-Federer: Both have the variety but are essentially baseliners, and both have pretty one-handed backhands that can break down. :o
true..But with Juju her FH breaks down more often!!Of course thank god thers no nadal on the tour!!Well Ms schnyder is the closest we have to nadal on tour and we saw the exact same way she beat Ju the same way nadal beats roger!!!

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
My fav male player is prob Clement.

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:37 PM
exactly! you can see your fav any way you like, but i knew some would decide to critique others comparisons. welcome to wtaworld!
One thing is to analize things from a subjective perspective, which is fine and anyone is entitled to his own opinion, but another one is to trying to defend an argument without any real basement.

I wonīt come here for example and say that Venus plays like Nadal because i "think" that way, i would come here and compare stroke for stroke, the way both play and win points, their strenghts and weakneses and then talk about it.

Do you actually VWFAN think Daniela style is similar to Federerīs?
Because instead of talking about it, which is what im arguing with Derek, you seem to "critique" my debate with Derek. :lol:

thrust
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Justine-Roger!