PDA

View Full Version : Americans: who will be our next president?

Pheobo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
I hope Hillary runs, and I think her chances of winning are pretty good, unless McCain runs against her...I can't think of any other strong Republican condidates, and that's a good thing.

Black Mamba.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:29 PM
I think McCain or Hillary. McCain is a guy that I think would be a really good president because he seems like an honest and independent guy.

Lord Nelson
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
What about the Massachussets governor. I thought he was a favourite among the Republicans?

griffin
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
McCain will NEVER get out of the Republican primaries alive.

Ever.

Romney's going to face a similar problem - getting the nomination. Polls in key areas have shown fairly high numbers of likely GOP votes who can't deal with the fact that he's a Mormon (quite sad in this day and age), and the fact that he is from MA makes some of the hard-core conservative types distrust him automatically, despite his attempts to pander to them these past few years. Hard to blame them - when he ran for governor, he told supporters he would not oppose emergency contraception, or stem cell research, and that while he personally opposed gay marriage he wouldn't try to hinder it if the SJC ruled in favor of it, and of course once in office with his eyes on the White House, he did the exact opposite. I wouldn't trust his word on anything either (oddly enough, it's not the left-of-center that's most pissed at him for this - we never trusted him in the first place - but more moderate GOP activists in the state who feel like her personally lied to them. Because he did :) )

samsung101
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Hillary has a great chance to win.

However, that is good for the GOP. Since,
even an annoyed base would rally to defeat
Hillary and Billary. The tag team. They
would rally the opposition.

But, don't count out other Democrats:
Obama, the former Gov. of VA Warner,
Bayh, Kerry, Gore, Richardson, etc.
Not to mention the Mayor of LA. The
Democrats have a lot of very attractive
Mayors and Governors to choose from,
black,brown, female, etc.

Not Nagin.

However -

If Cindy Sheehan and her gaggle of anti-war,
anti-Bush, anti-American groups hate Clinton
for her position on Iraq (and Afghanistan by
the way), which they have publicly stated,
she is in for some troubles. Only because
the far left controls the DNC convention and
grassroots more often than not. The Not In Our
Name crowd will demand a lot of anti-war, anti-Israel,
anti-American style concessions from Hillary, and
she can't be seen caving publicly on that type of
thing. She'd lose her so called 'moderate' stance
on some key foreign policy issues.

However, she's the clear favorite.

For the GOP, we've got McCain. He knows he's
annoyed just about everyone in the GOP for years
(after that Keating Scandal he got grumpier). Speaking
to Falwell, Schuller, etc., is for a reason: he's
groveling for votes. He's pro-life, and in the end,
that is what will get him more (though not as much
as Bush) votes among Christians who line up with
the GOP. Fact is Bush would campaign for him, since
McCain campaigned for him in 2000 and 2004. He
is loyal if nothing else.

However, his immigration policy will kill him w/the
traditional GOP voter. He better hope that bill w/his
name on it, dies fast. He's wrong on this issue, and
many will vote for a 3rd party person than him on
this one issue alone. Which only helps the Democrats.
But, the GOP does that, see Ross Perot, helped
Bill Clinton win twice.

Other than McCain, there is Allen in Virginia (if he
wins his re-election that is), Romney in MA (no real
chance, but, he's making noise), Martinez in Florida,
and there is always the former Cabinet people like
Tom Ridge (veteran, homeland security,governor)
and Rice (she always says no, but, you know that
can change), etc. There is Chuck Hagel (ha ha),
Mr. I am all that Bush is not. Sort of a mini-me
for McCain. I would never count out Powell or
even former General Franks either, both regulars
on the speaking circuit and radio talk shows.

Did anyone think Bush would win the nomination
over the seasoned McCain when he did two in 1998?
Not many. It's early. Clear frontrunners don't always
win. Clinton came out of nowhere to take the nomination
from Al Gore.

Both parties need someone who is a good candidate,
good leader, good fundraiser, and can win the key
states. Some states are locks, i.e., California for
the Democrats, Texas for the Republicans, etc. But,
they need to win Colorado and Florida and Missouri
and Ohio too.

McCain has a temper, and can be very rude. Short
fuse. Clinton can be cold, aloof, and monotone.

Rollo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
I hope Hillary runs, and I think her chances of winning are pretty good, unless McCain runs against her...I can't think of any other strong Republican condidates, and that's a good thing.

Hillary would get stomped by John McCain. Her negatives (those who would never vote for her) are already close to 50%.

The only way Hillary gets elected is if Bill Clinton dies before the election. That would make her task MUCH easier.

If Democrats are serious about electing a president they need to look for a southerner like Warner.

No Democrat has been elected President since Kennedy (1960) unless he's been a moderate from the South (Johnson,Carter and Clinton).

vogus
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
when push comes to shove, can McCain and Hillary win their parties' nominations?

Both the nomination races are WIDE open. Look out for a wildcard candidate on the Republican side, maybe Tommy Franks. The conservatives will be looking for ANYBODY but McCain. He will have pretend to be very conservative to win the GOP slate. I don't think Condy Rice is really that well liked by the GOP grassroots many of whom are chauvinists and/or racists.

Hillary has the advantage out of the gate on the Dem side, but there may be some as yet little known candidates who will resonate more with the public. If Hillary doesn't come off as conservative Dem, she has no chance to win the general election. Ross Perot isn't running in '08 to bail the Dems out like he did twice for Bill.

miffedmax
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
In 1980, I actually voted for John Anderson. Since then, my only option has been to vote against some dumbass sumbitch by choosing the lesser of two evils.

I'd like to actually vote for somebody again, but it doesn't look likely.

spartanfan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
John McCain will be the next president of the United States. As much as the conservative wing of the Republican may dislike or distrust him, its not enough to make them stay away from the polls or cross over and vote for a Democrat.

griffin
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
John McCain will be the next president of the United States. As much as the conservative wing of the Republican may dislike or distrust him, its not enough to make them stay away from the polls or cross over and vote for a Democrat.

Of course not, but it is enough for them to get someone else nominated.

I would actually consider voting for McCain, which is not something you could say about most Republicans, but the same things that make me consider him a viable option guarantee that he'll never win the nomination.

(fyi, Bush II was never considered a longshot in the primaries for the 2000 election - in fact a number of prominent Republicans took one look at the money he had to work with early on and decided to sit out the election)

NyCPsU
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM
McCain :worship:

anyone but hilary!! :devil:

tennislover
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Condoleeza for President!!!!

:hearts: :worship: :worship: :worship: :hearts:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Condoleezza_Rice.jpg/200px-Condoleezza_Rice.jpg

vogus
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM

never, ever, ever, ever.

tennislover
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM

i'm afraid that if Hillary runs, she will win.......

tennislover
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
never, ever, ever, ever.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Coondoleeza would be too good to be real......

samsung101
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Both parties will look for a hispanic canidate
for vice president. Biggest minority group
by far now.

Romney doesn't have a chance. Handsome,
moderate conservative politically, Olympic
games, GOP gov. of liberal Mass., all that.
But, he's not known enough nationally. Lots
of baggage being Mormon, unknown territory
for the party and him.

McCain is working the areas he has to exactly
because he knows he's in trouble w/the primaries.
Don't count on him to stay GOP if he looks like
he's losing, he'll go Independent to be President.
He wants it badly. Fact is as much as he is a big
pain in the neck (Campaign Finance Reform nonsense,
Illegal Alien Amnesty nonsense, tax cut 60 vote
nonsense), he has been very pro-life, pro-2nd amendment,
and very supportive of Bush in two election campaigns
and on Iraq and Afghanistan.

He would align himself with a few key conservatives,
and make sure his VP candidate is more traditionally
conservative than himself.

He'd also be smart to run as the 'Anyone But Hillary'
candidate.

His worry has to be if a Tancredo or Gilchrist runs
for the office as an independent or the GOP. That would
take enough away in some states to hurt him badly.

But, again, Allan is strong too. Frist, he's too wishy washy.
Personally, I like Jon Kyl, but, he won't run.

Biden and others think they foolishly have a shot at
the top spot for their party. Hillary will stomp on them.

Pheobo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:33 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Condoleezza_Rice.jpg/200px-Condoleezza_Rice.jpg

:haha: :haha:

A lot of people in this country can't even cope with the idea of having a woman as a president...but a black woman? Dream on. That's completely disregarding the fact that she's the fucking antichrist as well.

Is she even elligable? I thought that she wasn't able to run in 08 since she's an executive branch member or something like that.

tennislover
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM

A lot of people in this country can't even cope with the idea of having a woman as a president...but a black woman? Dream on. That's completely disregarding the fact that she's the fucking antichrist as well.

Is she even elligable? I thought that she wasn't able to run in 08 since she's an executive branch member or something like that.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
hands off a great woman!

No Name Face
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
hopefully not hilary or condolleezza :scared:

BARACK OBAMA :worship: :worship: :worship:

vogus
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM

don't disregard Condy being the antichrist because that is the main thing to remember about her.

samsung101
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Condi can run. I think she'd be more of a VP candidate myself.
I think she would reluctantly accept a VP spot if the party
and candidate needed her. Again, McCain is a real hard pill
for most Republicans to swallow, he's been so very anti-Bush
and anti-GOP on so many things - often for self serving
reasons. But, he's very pro-life, and pro-2nd amendment,
(even with his gun control bills), and very supportive of
Bush on Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, and North Korea. He would
need a far more conservative and appealing figure to balance
him w/the ticket and party. Nothing bars her from running
for either office. She's never held elected office.

But, McCain has a lot of work to do. He assumes he'll get
'independent' and moderate Democratic votes. He won't get
many. In the end, Democrats will support Hillary, and most
independent voters ususally aren't that independent either,
they're usually close to a party.

Who can take Florida, Ohio, Missouri, New England, Southwest?
That's who will get the nomination. McCain is popular in the
Southwest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some little known, Congressman
pop up, from some key state for the VP spot.

samsung101
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Funny, that's what a lot of people think of
Hillary.

Maybe it's the pantsuits.

spokenword73
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:43 AM
Hate to say it, but hell will freeze over before Condi will be elected U.S. Prez.
I am an independent, and I like Barak, Chuck Hagel and Mark Warner.

thank God Arnold can't run :clap2:

SelesFan70
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:18 AM

:bowdown:

SelesFan70
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:23 AM
All the polls I"ve seen (see the link in my signature) have McCain and Guilianni beating La Hillary, but La Hillary is the clear choice among Democrats...at least sane ones...not the ones the post on the blogs, or use Cindy Sheehan's dead son. :tape: That crowd will push Algore to the forefront, you can bet on that. Oh, he's running you can bet on it. :lol:

Guilianni is FAR too "liberal" for most Republicans on social issues, though. Mildly pro-choice and pro-gay... :help: won't get you very far with social conservatives.

*JR*
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:24 AM
The Democrats have only 2 contenders who've both run a state, AND served in Congress:

Senator Evan Bayh (former 2-term Governor of Indiana, a "red state" of the type the Democrats need to do better in). Son of a former Senator, has put up impressive numbers in his various races, re-elected easily to both of these offices. A distinct centrist facing a liberal base that chooses nominees, though.

Governor Bill Richardson (former New Mexico Congressman; also former Ambassador to the UN and Secretary of Energy; latter marred by unproven espionage charges against a scientist of Chinese heritage @ a US nuclear lab). Half-Hispanic, as his mother was a Mexican immigrant. Dealt a lot with North Korea, so could say that he can "handle" their Little Kim's claimed "License to Il".

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
Hell no it better not be a damn Hispanic vice president, before there is an African American in executive power. We built the foundations of the massive American economy for over 300 years, hell to the NO!

Brooklyn90
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
i hope Hillary wins

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:57 AM
The Democrats have only 2 contenders who've both run a state, AND served in Congress:

Senator Evan Bayh (former 2-term Governor of Indiana, a "red state" of the type the Democrats need to do better in). Son of a former Senator, has put up impressive numbers in his various races, re-elected easily to both of these offices. A distinct centrist facing a liberal base that chooses nominees, though.

Governor Bill Richardson (former New Mexico Congressman; also former Ambassador to the UN and Secretary of Energy; latter marred by unproven espionage charges against a scientist of Chinese heritage @ a US nuclear lab). Half-Hispanic, as his mother was a Mexican immigrant. Dealt a lot with North Korea, so could say that he can "handle" their Little Kim's claimed "License to Il".

While credible candidates, neither of those guys have the star power to go toe to toe with Hillary.

lk89
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:56 AM
I've been a lifelong Liberal Democrat. I personally feel Hilary CLinton has her own agenda, I want a true representative of the Democratic Party. I want Al Gore, although about as charismatic as cardboard he would be a good leader.
That or Al Franken lol.

darrinbaker00
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM
How about a Barack Obama-J.C. Watts ticket? ;)

Xanadu11
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
I used to love Hillary Clinton, as seems to be the fad with all young girls.
But I have since found her to bei expediant, shallow, opportunistic, and practically ammoral. I have never heard her speak convincingly only any issue without considering at the same time, how it will get her ahead in life. Well maybe here and here, but nevertheless I have become a disillusioned Hillary-ite.

I would however prefer her Condoleezza.

Pheobo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
People in this country won't even bother to consider someone named "Barack Obama" It's too ethnic.

I think he'd be great, but let's not be naive, people.

And to Lord Nelson- I'm not a racist. I'm realistic.

Pheobo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
hands off a great woman!

Being a fucking liar to cover up for Georgy does not qualify someone for the title of "a great woman".

SelesFan70
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
How about a Barack Obama-J.C. Watts ticket? ;)

JC Watts is a Republican...Obama wouldn't be allowed by the kook fringe base of the democratic party to have him as a running mate. :tape:

Kirt12255
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Oprah has a more diverse view of the world as per Mr Bush (and his father and the realm of Mormom pages)

When the world relies on America...Oprah as a "Queen of Liberty" instead of a President. Makes sense to me.;)

*JR*
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Hell no it better not be a damn Hispanic vice president, before there is an African American in executive power. We built the foundations of the massive American economy for over 300 years, hell to the NO!
So to disqualify Richardson in advance because he's half-Hispanic is "JUSTICE4ALL"? (And a black who, using his or her own free will, preferred him to Condi would be a "race traitor", I suppose).
:confused:

meyerpl
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
JC Watts is a Republican...Obama wouldn't be allowed by the kook fringe base of the democratic party to have him as a running mate. :tape:
First, kook fringe base is an oxymoron. Second, if you look up kook or fringe in he American Heritage Dictionary, they have a picture of J.C. Watts.