PDA

View Full Version : How many times have your fave retired/withdrawn?

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
I think my fave Martina never retired in a match,but correct me if I'm wrong.
She could've retired in AO 2002 final in 3rd set,hardly moving around due to cramps and exhaustion,but she didn't.
IMO she's that kind of player,who doesn't want to make excuses and always plays till the end,even if it was 0-6 in the third.

What about your faves??

franny
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I think that Martina has only retired once, and that was against Davenport at the Porsche Grand Prix in like 01 or something. It was in the 3rd game at 2-1 Davenport and Martina was like running down a ball and rolled over her ankle or something. She had to be carried off the court. She was out for the rest of the season. Martina is not the retiring type. The only way she'll retire is if she literally cannot walk. Even being crippled is not enough for Martina to retire. People may say she is brash, but she never takes away the opponent's credit. If she's losing, no matter how badly, she sucks it up and fights till the end.

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah,right,I forgot about that Filderstaedt accident :( which I think eventually forced Martina to retire...fortunately 'just' for 3 years,not forever :)

Viktymise
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
The only time i remember Vee retiring was against Clijsters YEC 02 with a leg injury and she was in teaes afterwards, but the best example of a player actually putting the fans and the game above her health was Vee at Wimbledon 03, she knew she should never have played the final but didnt want to dissapoint the fans and in doing so put herself out of the game for months and ruining her game, the only time i remember lena retiring was against Kostanic at Amelia Island 04, she was exhausted and injured after her long run at miami and never should have played but gave it a go

Derek.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Daniela doesn't do it very often, she's no Marion Bartoli. :tape:

oakkao
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think this is a fair question :o :tape:

Venus never retires or withdraws :bolt:

UDACHi
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
don't expect many williams or bartoli fans to post.

henmanhill
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
My fave it Martina Navratilova and, despite being 49, has never, to my knowledge, retired or withdrawn, unless in a doubles match where her partner did so she was forced to. I think this happened last year when she was playing with Groenefeld in a doubles match and she remarked it was the first time it had happened.

Not the top players who are in singles and doubles in the slams routinely withdraw from doubles if they are doing well in the singles withdraw from the doubles. Martina never did.

LindsayRulz
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
The only time i remember Vee retiring was against Clijsters YEC 02 with a leg injury and she was in teaes

Against Lindsay during the semi-final of Los Angeles 2004

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Kim at this year AO semifinal against Mauresmo retired, as I remember it was her only retirement of this year so far.

Paul.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
I dont know about withdrawals but here are MARY PIERCE's retirements/walkovers

89 - None

90 - None

91 - US Open 3rd Round vs Maleeve Fragiere 6-4 1-6 1-5 ret.

92 - Miami 3rd Round vs Brenda Schultz-McCarthy 6-7 6-1 0-4 ret.

93 - None

94 - None

95 - Hamburg Round of 16 vs Petra Begerow 6-3 5-7 0-3 ret.

96 - None

97 - Rosmalen QF vs Asa Carlsson W/O

98 - Luxembourg 1st Round vs Silvia Farina Elia - 0-6 0-2 ret.

99 - Miami Round of 16 vs Amanda Coetzer - 1-6 2-4 ret.

00 - Ericsson Open 1st Round vs Elena Dementieva - 3-6 1-2 ret.
US Open Round of 16 vs Anke Huber - 4-6 ret.

01 - None

02 - Australian Open 1st Round vs Jill Craybas - 0-4 ret.

03 - Berlin Open 1st Round vs Virginia Ruano Pascual - 6-7 ret.
Zurich 1st Round vs Katarina Srebotnik - 0-6 0-2 ret.

04 - None

05 - None

06 - None

not the best of records it has to be said...

Derek.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM

Oh hell no! :spit:

griffin
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
The only time i remember Vee retiring was against Clijsters YEC 02 with a leg injury and she was in teaes afterwards, but the best example of a player actually putting the fans and the game above her health was Vee at Wimbledon 03, she knew she should never have played the final but didnt want to dissapoint the fans and in doing so put herself out of the game for months and ruining her game, the only time i remember lena retiring was against Kostanic at Amelia Island 04, she was exhausted and injured after her long run at miami and never should have played but gave it a go

She retired against Amelie in a Warsaw final, and withdrew before the final of either Warsaw or Berlin - also against Mauresmo.

Amelie's had a couple of retirements/withdrawls, the most dramatic imo being the Quarters of the 2004 Australian Open. She'd pulled a muscle in her rib cage. She was in tears in the press conference :sad:

j_dementieva27
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
yeah i don't really remember elena ever retiring a match a lot... kostanic comes to mind, otherwise... elena doesn't really get injured that much, besides minor things

Viktymise
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
She retired against Amelie in a Warsaw final, and withdrew before the final of either Warsaw or Berlin - also against Mauresmo.

Amelie's had a couple of retirements/withdrawls, the most dramatic imo being the Quarters of the 2004 Australian Open. She'd pulled a muscle in her rib cage. She was in tears in the press conference :sad:
those 2 times she retired, the warsaw match she did what she should have done at Wimbledon as she had an abdominal strain, she got it after the 1st set and kept trying till she couldnt play anymore, right thing to do intead of comprimisung your yr over a tier 2 final, the berlin match she clearly bably sprained her ankle in the semi's aswell against Sprem

Mudbone
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
If i were a Hingis fan and i am not!!! I could boast that my fav withdrew from the tour for 3 years because she wasn't mature enough to take all the beatdowns...Finally after the Williams became filthy rich and disinterested she found the courage to return....Whatever happened to that "career ending foot injury" by the way???

tennisbuddy12
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
i can only remember ashley vs. craybas at miami last year and zuluaga at the uso last year...

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Nothing about JHH withdrawals/walkovers...

V-MAC
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM
Heck, Chanda Rubin is the queen of withdrawals :o I am still annoyed over her pulling out of San Diego. I thought all was ok with her again when she played Cincinatti last week :(

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
If i were a Hingis fan and i am not!!! I could boast that my fav withdrew from the tour for 3 years because she wasn't mature enough to take all the beatdowns...Finally after the Williams became filthy rich and disinterested she found the courage to return....Whatever happened to that "career ending foot injury" by the way???

'career ending foot injury' was stated by media and WTA I gues,not by Martina herself.
What beatdowns,0-6,0-6?? was there any.Everybody's winning and losing,having ups and downs.

Think twice before you write that bullshit. You're mean and pathetic.

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Martina's anti-fans will always write something to dim her star. Always faultfinding and lessening her.

saki
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Nothing about JHH withdrawals/walkovers...

On a quick scan of her results (i.e. don't blame me if I missed something!):

2006 - AO Final
2005 - None
2004 - None
2003 - Rosmalen Final Vs Kim
2002 - None
2001 - Berlin SF Vs Jen and Hawaii final Vs Testud
2000 - Filterstadt Vs Hingis 2nd R
1999 - None

So, 5 in total. Which is pretty similar to most players her age.

griffin
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
those 2 times she retired, the warsaw match she did what she should have done at Wimbledon as she had an abdominal strain, she got it after the 1st set and kept trying till she couldnt play anymore, right thing to do intead of comprimisung your yr over a tier 2 final, the berlin match she clearly bably sprained her ankle in the semi's aswell against Sprem

I did not suggest otherwise :)

Viktymise
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
I did not suggest otherwise :)
i know sorry i got a bit carried away :lol:

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
I can remember 2 withdrawals of Nastya:

2003 QF in Sopot against Mandula
and 2004 SF against Koukalova in..........Sopot!!! :eek:

Hopefully the tournament is cancelled now :lol:

Stamp Paid
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
In which year? *dead*

Sweep
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Daniela doesn't do it very often, she's no Marion Bartoli. :tape:

FYI, Last time Daniela pulled up was at Toronto last year, against Alina Jidkova. Edit: Actually it was Vaidisova in Sydney this year.

Krasnoroutskaya retired against Dementieva in 2001 in Indian Wells. More famously, she retired against Martinez in that heartbreaking AO match in 2002. Later that year she retired against Kuznetsova in Bali and then against Matezevic in Bratislava.

Sharapova lost by walkover to Mauresmo at Philly 2004 and against Hantuchova in Los Angeles last year. She's only ever retired once, to my knowledge - against Kirilenko in China last year.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
humm... Lindsay's match retirements...
2005- Charleston vs. Henin-Hardenne; Standford vs. Groenefeld
2003-Miami vs. Bartoli; Roland Garros vs. Martinez; New Haven vs. Capriati
2001- Miami vs. Dementieva
2000- Canadian Open vs. Maleeva
She didn't give a retirement in a match in 06, 04, 02, and 91-99. She has a lot of walkovers and of coarse she knows how to pullout of a tournament.
Interestingly, she has had a lot of her retirements and walkovers in Miami, because for her, it's cursed.

CanIGetAWhat
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
I think that Martina has only retired once, and that was against Davenport at the Porsche Grand Prix in like 01 or something. It was in the 3rd game at 2-1 Davenport and Martina was like running down a ball and rolled over her ankle or something. She had to be carried off the court. She was out for the rest of the season. Martina is not the retiring type. The only way she'll retire is if she literally cannot walk. Even being crippled is not enough for Martina to retire. People may say she is brash, but she never takes away the opponent's credit. If she's losing, no matter how badly, she sucks it up and fights till the end.Martina also retired against Patty Schnyder at the Grand Slam Cup in 1998, they were dead even at 5 all in the third.

Piotr'ek
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
Did Maria ever retire in a match?

Piotr'ek
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Ok I found her retirement against MaKiri in Bejing :sad:

dreamgoddess099
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Considering most people can't remember the exact amount of times their favs have retired or withdrawn, you shouldn't be expecting anybody to post. Especially when you consider that you yourself didn't even answer the question.

Ballbasher
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM
Venus actually retired/withdraw (lost by w/o) 9 times and not once or twice like some posters stated :confused:

Ballbasher
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Maret retied thrice

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM

bs. serena last year, just too many times:rolleyes:

Justine Fan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Martina's anti-fans will always write something to dim her star. Always faultfinding and lessening her.

As you state in your post ..... "Think twice before you post that bullshit ... you're mean and pathetic".

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8494907&postcount=11

And that's just one of them ... there are plenty more. :tape:

How come it's OK for you to do it about other players, but when it's done back to you ... it's not OK? How come? :shrug:

markhingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
The best way to defend is to attack-it's a well-known truth. So why not use it?
Why weren't you the first to write sth about your fave JHH withdrawals?

Stop fighting! It's not a proper place to do that.

Justine Fan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
The best way to defend is to attack-it's a well-known truth. So why not use it?
Why weren't you the first to write sth about your fave JHH withdrawals?

Stop fighting! It's not a proper place to do that.

So why make your first statement above if that's how you feel? And why reply to others' posts? :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

saki got there before me!

chuCKnorris
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I stopped counting Kim's retirements/withdrawals long time ago :tape: :help:

Kim at this year AO semifinal against Mauresmo retired, as I remember it was her only retirement of this year so far.

plus, she withdrew from Sydney :sad:

miffedmax
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Lena's withdrawal in Sydney due to the heat is the only time I can remember, but there may have been others.

I know she's dropped out of some doubles matches, too. But usually she's a trouper. And Mommy Vera wants the checks.