PDA

View Full Version : Experience in modeling?

manu
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone on the board has any experience as a model or knows someone who is a model? The reason I'm asking this is because I was recently "scouted" by a model scout in New York but didn't have the opportunity to stay there and do some kind of modeling work... I'd never expected to be asked to do modelling work because I really don't consider myself as very handsome at all or anything like that... and maybe a lot of people get 'scouted' in New York who aren't necessarily that pretty or eligible to become a real model because it's such a big Fashion Capital in constant need of new faces... but back home I started thinking that I might send some pics of myself to an agency... why not give it a try maybe? But on the other hand I don't know if I really want to do it, or if I'd be accepted, so I kind of have a lot of questions right now and would love to hear from other people more familiar with the world of modeling and fashion! The main things I'm interested in are: how do you get started and what are important things to pay attention to? What's the modeling world like? Is there a big difference between the men's and women's modeling world? Are you only able to make a decent living when you're a top model or is there a king of "in-between-range"? Can you combine modeling with your studies? But any stories/experiences/... are very welcome! So thanks in advance :)

Berlin_Calling
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Modeling is VERY competitive so you should never turn an offer down, no matter what it is. There are many pretty faces but the biggest thing that sets successful models apart from nonsuccessful ones is their drive and persistence. You really have to be passionate and motivated to impress the modeling agency. Starting off as a model, you will make a pretty mediocre salary but if you have the drive (and some luck) you can succeed and start bringing in bigger checks. Modeling is a pretty brutal and tiresome career but it has its upside (such as traveling to different places, meeting new places, etc). I think that if you take up full time modeling, it could be hard to keep up with your studies because you are traveling and working all the time but hey, if tennis players can go to school with their schedules, i guess anything is possible.

manu
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for your advice! :)

azdaja
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
some of my friends did some modelling and they did not enjoy it for long.

hingis-seles
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
I can't help you out much, since the only time I did ramp modelling (the one on a runway) was when I was selected as one of the models for the TIGI hairproducts when they had a fashion show to launch their products here. It was a fun experience, but ofcourse, before the main show, there were lots of practices since everyone had to be told what order they'd be coming out on the ramp in, and what the stage would be like, etc.

If you want to try out as a model, the first thing you have to do is get a portfolio made by a professional photographer, which you should send to the agency. A portfolio is essential for a model.