PDA

View Full Version : Maria Filling Seats At Acura

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.acuraclassic.com/

"Second-seeded Maria Sharapova thrilled a capacity crowd of 6,500 at the Acura Classic on Tuesday night as she defeated fellow Russian Vasilisa Bardina, 6-4, 6-1,..."

mila_mail
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
how come???`

jacobruiz
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1168/71544755cc041acuraclassic0802021024x768vr1.jpg

olivia100
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Funny how this so call filling seats was not mentioned in the ESPN piece...lol. They are trying to hard to shove her down people's throats but it just ain't working.

Brooklyn90
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
and......

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Funny how this so call filling seats was not mentioned in the ESPN piece...lol. They are trying to hard to shove her down people's throats but it just ain't working.

be careful, hon, don't choke on your own poisonous saliva... you realize you are spitting it all over the place. :p

jacobruiz
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
and......

Nothing, really - just that Maria does put paying fans in the seats, not just attracting "the media" as some were asserting in another thread.

harloo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
:confused:

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
That's website propaganda, for a tournament that will disappear very soon

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
That's website propaganda

and the pic? KGB photoshop?

rjd1111
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1168/71544755cc041acuraclassic0802021024x768vr1.jpg

I see a lot of empty seats.

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
It's from http://www.acuraclassic.com/ (http://www.acuraclassic.com/), who are trying to sell tickets

Martyś
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
I see a lot of empty seats.

I wouldn't say "a lot".

rjd1111
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM

Yes, and there are a lot of empty seats in that pic. Also, where are
the TV cameras? Thats where the big bucks are.

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
It's from http://www.acuraclassic.com/ (http://www.acuraclassic.com/), who are trying to sell tickets

and? the fact is the fact...

Rocketta
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
really, who cares one way or the other. :shrug:

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'm sure you would have been singing a different tune if it was SWilliams instead of Maria in the name of the thread.

Martyś
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
No one cares but everyone is discussing :lol:

Rocketta
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'm sure you would have singing a different tune if it was SWilliams instead of Maria in the name of the thread.

actually I wouldn't but if you would take the chip off your shoulder, I was talking about both ways, who cares if she is or isn't filling seats it's a stupid reason to be bickering. :rolleyes:

oh and fyi, it's old news about S.Williams filling seats no need for a thread because we all know this to be the case in America.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
I'm sure you would have been singing a different tune if it was SWilliams instead of Maria in the name of the thread.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
actually I wouldn't but if you would take the chip off your shoulder, I was talking about both ways, who cares if she is or isn't filling seats it's a stupid reason to be bickering. :rolleyes:

oh and fyi, it's old news about S.Williams filling seats no need for a thread because we all know this to be the case in America.

Well, it seems that the Acura people were complaining about the sisters being "unreliable" and about how it might affect attendance. I think Maria's filling the stands is proof that they were using a "red herring" to criticize the sisters. But that's my take on it. I think it also proof that it doesn't take an American to fill seats at a tennis stadium in the US.

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM

talking about a chip... if you don't like bickering and don't care about her filling the seats, why show up and poop in this thread? :rolleyes:

and as for SWilliams filling up the seats, she does it for 2 matches in 6 months and then last minute withdraw from every tournament in the other 6 months, leaving you, her fans, hanging and feeling like suckers...

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
go maria:)

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM
go maria:)

:yeah: :worship:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
really, who cares one way or the other. :shrug:

Bitter, much?

harloo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
ROTF!! Acura has always been a well attended tournament. The problem is why would someone need to proove that Maria generates interest in the sport when she is the most googled woman and the most popular female athlete in the world according to the commentators? I think her fans are a bit insecure.:lol:

Sidneygod
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
ROTF!! Acura has always been a well attended tournament. The problem is why would someone need to proove that Maria generates interest in the sport when she is the most googled woman and the most popular female athlete in the world according to the commentators? I think her fans are a bit insecure.:lol:

according to the endorsements she gets

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM

There does seem to be an urban myth with two particular fan bases that only Americans can pack tennis stadiums in the US, and that tennis is in decline during their absence. I think the insecurities lie within those fan bases, especially after irrefutable proof is presented that European WTA players pack the same tennis stadiums the Americans once did. ;)

Perhaps the reality that the sport of tennis will continue to flourish without Americans is much more than their urban myth can stand up to. The real insecurities surface when US tennis fans continue to pack stadiums in the absence of American players. :wavey: Especially those that purposefully attempt to diminish the aura of Sharapova, Inc. and the European players impact on the sport of tennis. :tape:

harloo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
There does seem to be an urban myth with two particular fan bases that only Americans can pack tennis stadiums in the US, and that tennis is in decline during their absence. I think the insecurities lie within those fan bases, especially after irrefutable proof is presented that European WTA players pack the same tennis stadiums the Americans once did. ;)

Perhaps the reality that the sport of tennis will continue to flourish without Americans is much more than their urban myth can stand up to.

Sharapova is more "Americanized" than anything. From her inception she has been heavily promoted as the "saviour of American tennis". You know the new Anna, Russian but based in America.

Like I said before, #1 googled tennis player, and has the hype machine behind her. So why are her fans so insecure? :confused: At this point Maria shouldn't even be considered "foreign".:o

msharafan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
well the pic of the match looks like the match was played in a great atmosphere theres something about playing under the lights! i would have payed anything to go to that match!

nizelegz
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.acuraclassic.com/

"Second-seeded Maria Sharapova thrilled a capacity crowd of 6,500 at the Acura Classic on Tuesday night as she defeated fellow Russian Vasilisa Bardina, 6-4, 6-1,..."

Serena was originally slated for Tuesday night!! When I called to purchase my tickets and I asked for the line up last week, they mentioned it.

harloo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Serena was originally slated for Tuesday night!! When I called to purchase my tickets and I asked for the line up last week, they mentioned it.

Awe, I hope fans didn't purchase tickets for that night hoping that they would see Serena. That would be such a shame.:tape: :devil:

Serena, get it together!!:mad:

Rocketta
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
talking about a chip... if you don't like bickering and don't care about her filling the seats, why show up and poop in this thread? :rolleyes:

and as for SWilliams filling up the seats, she does it for 2 matches in 6 months and then last minute withdraw from every tournament in the other 6 months, leaving you, her fans, hanging and feeling like suckers...

ah, what else are you suppose to do in a toilet bowl of a thread but shit in it and unfortunately you seem to have diarrhea? :shrug:

and was that part about Serena suppose to be something that annoys me? :scratch: :confused: :shrug:

Rocketta
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Bitter, much?

no not much, how about you?

dreamgoddess099
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
There does seem to be an urban myth with two particular fan bases that only Americans can pack tennis stadiums in the US, and that tennis is in decline during their absence. I think the insecurities lie within those fan bases, especially after irrefutable proof is presented that European WTA players pack the same tennis stadiums the Americans once did. ;) Steffi, Aranxta, Martina Navi, Kournikova, ect. have all packed several American stadiums, so it was proven years ago that certain players pack stadiums. So what's your point?

Perhaps the reality that the sport of tennis will continue to flourish without Americans is much more than their urban myth can stand up to. The real insecurities surface when US tennis fans continue to pack stadiums in the absence of American players. :wavey: Especially those that purposefully attempt to diminish the aura of Sharapova, Inc. and the European players impact on the sport of tennis. :tape:
Getting hardcore tennis fans to buy tickets has never been an issue for the sport, but getting consistantly high televison ratings has always been tennis's man problem in America. The attendence records seem to up about every year, but the television ratings are still unpredictable, except when certain American players faces flash across the screen, then the ratings needle consistantly jumps up. Considering that tons of the money in the sport comes from American advertising, it's key for the sport to get high TV ratings, instead of just high ticket sells. They've been getting the latter for years already. If American players weren't key to the success of American tennis, there wouldn't be such an outcry(within the sport itself, not just American fans) about the lack of American up and comers.

TakeThat
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ewww. You sound bitter.

olivia100
Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Bitter about what. We all know people who brought those tickets brought them to see Serena who was suppose to play Tuesday night. That article truly fool you guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sidneygod
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Bitter about what. We all know people who brought those tickets brought them to see Serena who was suppose to play Tuesday night. That article truly fool you guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bitter that your favourites are nowhere near as marketable as Maria. :)

Rocketta
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM

:spit:

isn't every Williams fan scared of that? :haha:

:rolleyes:

Sidneygod
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
:spit:

isn't every Williams fan scared of that? :haha:

:rolleyes:

err...no

That was not aimed at all williams fans, that was aimed at that one bitter individual

Lefty.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM

How silly, seriously. I mean, when I go see the Acura Classic this Saturday, I don't bring my tickets to see Kim or Maria. I bring them to see whoever is playing that day. :rolleyes:

dreamgoddess099
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, no need to get silly. Venus and Serena have both money and multiple grandslams, Maria's trying to get to where they are. They've both already held the title of highest payed female athlete. When it comes to accomplishments within the sport, "Highest paid" is really just a consolation prize when you compare it to the importance and prestige of winning mulitple slams.

meyerpl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Like her or not, Maria Sharapova is very popular and marketable. If you're a tennis fan, you should be glad she is. She's given a boost to television ratings, tournament attendence and general interest in tennis. Everyone with an interest in the game benefits from that, either directly or indirectly.

meyerpl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
So far, Maria is still a fart in the wind compared to what the Williams sisters have brought to tennis over their careers. What I don't get is, why so many fans of these particular players refuse to acknowledge the merrits of the other. All three have had a tremendous impact on the game's popularity. Jesus Christ, why would anyone refuse to acknowledge it?

furrykitten
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
People just want to see Maria, its only natural :p

dizoo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
i would never spend a dollar to see the no style game of Sharapova.
:devil: :devil: :devil:

olivia100
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM
So far, Maria is still a fart in the wind compared to what the Williams sisters have brought to tennis over their careers. What I don't get is, why so many fans of these particular players refuse to acknowledge the merrits of the other. All three have had a tremendous impact on the game's popularity. Jesus Christ, why would anyone refuse to acknowledge it?

Please tell me what impact has maria had. She sure as hell cannot and does not raise TV ratings like V&S you can take that to the bank.

faboozadoo15
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
are you saying serena's fans are THAT dumb?

henmanhill
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
They must be easily thrilled if watching the World number trounce an unknown in straight sets excites them.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Please tell me what impact has maria had. She sure as hell cannot and does not raise TV ratings like V&S you can take that to the bank.
Well, maybe as not quite as much in America at this time, but with the effort and money they are putting behind her she will soon. Marketing is a very powerful thing. If you put the right money and effort behind selling anything, it will turn a profit. Oprah Winfrey isn't a billionaire for her looks.

perseus2006
Maybe they just like tennis. What a thought!

adam_ads_n
hmm...what the hell?

Marta Domachowska, Elena Dementieva, Radwanska sisters and some others were on the seats in Warsaw for ex. :confused:

The_Pov
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Like her or not, Maria Sharapova is very popular and marketable. If you're a tennis fan, you should be glad she is. She's given a boost to television ratings, tournament attendence and general interest in tennis. Everyone with an interest in the game benefits from that, either directly or indirectly.

The problem is, is that all the haters want their girl to the be the "it" girl, the one getting $25 million a year and all the endorsments. But there can only be one and that's Maria!

dreamgoddess099
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
The problem is, is that all the haters want their girl to the be the "it" girl, the one getting $25 million a year and all the endorsments. But there can only be one and that's Maria!
Maybe that's what you want, but I want my faves to be winning slams and going down in history as legends. Your fav is free to have all the money in the world, it can't buy everything.

BTW, Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate people like you who buy into marketing created phrases like "it"? You make marketers so much money and my dad's in marketing. Thanks for the car he bought me when I was sixteen. ;)

faboozadoo15
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
i feel like we should just be happy that these tournaments are succeeding and that the fans are enjoying the tennis, be it cinci, stanford, or san diego. so far, so good. the crowds have been pretty impressive from what i've seen.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
The seats were very close to being sold out for the night matches about a month ago. I don't think it has anything to do with with players. The linep advertised sold the tickets.

SF

The_Pov
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe that's what you want, but I want my faves to be winning slams and going down in history as legends. Your fav is free to have all the money in the world, it can't buy everything.

BTW, Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate people like you who buy into marketing created phrases like "it"? You make marketers so much money and my dad's in marketing. Thanks for the car he bought me when I was sixteen. ;)

Shows how much you know about me, I want Maria to be winning as many slams as possible, and not to go down in history as "3rd rate 'actress' in TV shows, who once played tennis"

I also do not buy into phrases like "it" girl hence the quote marks :rolleyes: and if you ever catch me buying anything because it was endorsed by a celeb (even Maria) you have permission to slap me.

faboozadoo15
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
The seats were very close to being sold out for the night matches about a month ago. I don't think it has anything to do with with players. The linep advertised sold the tickets.

SF
There's QUITE a difference between a sellout and a capacity crowd when it comes to sporting events in the US. I'll personally never understand people who have a ticket in hand and don't go, but it happens A LOT.

StarDuvallGrant
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM

Definitely :lol:

meyerpl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
lmao @ this thread.
as soon as i saw the title, i KNEW it would turn out this way.
so predictable.

but good for Maria either way. :shrug:
i recall someone making a thread about Serena drawing tons of fans at the Cincinnati Open and not that many people (her fans) complained about it.
but people who were not her biggest fans did complain.
same thing happening here.

that's always the way it goes...if it's not your fave getting the "attention," something negative will be said.

General Messages :retard: :help:
Pretty much all that needs to be said about this thread.