PDA

View Full Version : Hingis Blasts WTA for Drug Testing Her On Sunday in San Diego

pierce0415
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:07 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060801/capt.sge.aqw49.010806070558.photo00.photo.default-324x512.jpg

It's not the knock on the door that worries Martina Hingis, pictured at Wimbledon , - it's the timing. The Swiss former world number one, making her WTA summer hardcourt start in San Diego this week, complained that a Sunday drug test during a pre-tournament training day threw off her carefully prepared routine for no good reason.

ToeTag
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Link, please. :)

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
never one to hold back. :lol:

Wiggly
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
The picture is more interesting :tape: :angel:

Billabong
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Translation of a belgian article

Hingis was angry about an unexpected control
Hingis also specified the controllers had not either respected Maria Sharapova who had placed the sign "not to disturb" on the door of her hotel room. What did not prevent the Russian from having to undergo a control.
The Swiss woman Martina Hingis was furious Monday to have had to undergo an unexpected control antidoping the day before, whereas she was training for the tournament of San Diego, her first tournament since Wimbledon. "I was tested again suddenly Sunday" declared old number 1 world. "I try to be professional. They should look at the program of the players. They arrive and upset all the day. They could come at the end of the day or the morning, but not to the middle of the day when you have a programmed training . There is not a great difference between the morning, the evening or the following day. It is not as if something were going to disappear." Hingis however admitted that controls were useful after the revelation of two new great scandals last week. But she estimates indignant certain methods like that which she underwent ten years ago while being awaked at it at 6 hours of the morning for a control. "If I want to sleep. I want to sleep. They should respect the athletes. I do not have any problem to undergo controls, but they could at least respect my private hours."

Hoytie
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
She's such a jerk. Maybe she's mad because she was in the midst of taking a performance enhancing supplement when the knock on the door happened.

drake3781
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
Interesting. What does the process involve? Pee in a cup? Can she do it in her hotel room (or whereever she is), or does she have to go to somewhere to do it? How much time from beginning to end is required of the player?

rikvanlooy
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Translation of a belgian article

Hingis was angry about an unexpected control
Hingis also specified the controllers had not either respected Maria Sharapova who had placed the sign "not to disturb" on the door of her hotel room. What did not prevent the Russian from having to undergo a control.
The Swiss woman Martina Hingis was furious Monday to have had to undergo an unexpected control antidoping the day before, whereas she was training for the tournament of San Diego, her first tournament since Wimbledon. "I was tested again suddenly Sunday" declared old number 1 world. "I try to be professional. They should look at the program of the players. They arrive and upset all the day. They could come at the end of the day or the morning, but not to the middle of the day when you have a programmed training . There is not a great difference between the morning, the evening or the following day. It is not as if something were going to disappear." Hingis however admitted that controls were useful after the revelation of two new great scandals last week. But she estimates indignant certain methods like that which she underwent ten years ago while being awaked at it at 6 hours of the morning for a control. "If I want to sleep. I want to sleep. They should respect the athletes. I do not have any problem to undergo controls, but they could at least respect my private hours."

Hm, her remarks are ridiculous. The reason they do this at impossible hours is because they want to find out if she is taking doping.

Cyclists have to undergo a lot more than Swiss Miss.

Hingis wants probably that they come when she wants them to come. Useful when she is taking something. Not that useful for the people who want to find out.

Athletes have no privacy when it concerns this, according to me. Everything should be done to stamp this out. It's already clear that tennis has quite a severe doping problem. Just have a look at the big number of tennis players who have been caught the last few years (I can name at least 7 Argentine players).

drake3781
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Hm, her remarks are ridiculous. The reason they do this at impossible hours is because they want to find out if she is taking doping.

Cyclists have to undergo a lot more than Swiss Miss.

Hingis wants probably that they come when she wants them to come. Useful when she is taking something. Not that useful for the people who want to find out.

Athletes have no privacy when it concerns this, according to me. Everything should be done to stamp this out. It's already clear that tennis has quite a severe doping problem. Just have a look at the big number of tennis players who have been caught the last few years (I can name at least 7 Argentine players).

I agree with you about everything, except don't understand specifically:

- why they have to come at impossible hours? Wouldn't 9AM do as well as 6AM or are these substances that can vanish that quickly from the body?

- how much time does it require from the athlete?

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM
She shouldn't be so upset. They have to make those controls unexpected for the player :o

germex
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
1. If drug traces do not vanish from the body quickly (And i do not think they do), they could announce they would do random testing of players usually at certain hour, so they can put it on their schedule.

2. If it does vanish quickly, I wonder why someone would dope for training, to me it would make a lot more sense, to perform random testing just after the end of matches.

Ryan
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM
:rolleyes: @ the retarded posters above (only some of them). Hingis states that these drug tests are good, but doesn't like that they disrupt athletes' schedules. That's not so unreasonable, is it? Drug traces do NOT dissapear from the body quickly, so it isn't imperative to do it RIGHT AWAY. I understand they are surprises (which I agree with, otherwise the athlete could regulate their drug intake schedule), but is it too much to ask for them to do it at reasonable times?

CooCooCachoo
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I actually agree with her. There is no difference, test-wise, in having the test done at a more convenient time.

Martian KC
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:57 PM
What does a couple hours make a difference in testing? Why couldn't they just wait til shhe finished her training session?:rolleyes: :confused:

crazillo
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM
Se is right, but others have the same problem, so she does not have a disadvantage because of that IMO...

delicatecutter
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
I'm 100% with Martina on this one.

Besides, she's the last one I would suspect of doping. :)

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM
She should not have taken her concerns to the press. If she wanted to bitch about it, she should have complained to tour officials only...not the media. It doesn't look good. Fans want the testing performed...and not necessarily at the convenience of the players. That would sort of defeat the purpose of testing.

SF

IceHock
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM
She has reason to be mad,she was training for the acura when they come in and interrupt her training which sets her schedule back.I mean do them random but it's easy to figure out when a player is done practicing to hit them up then.

PLP
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Are the poster's that disagree with Martina Anti-Hingis or just extremely Pro-drug tests....I can't believe this is how the athletes are treated, both Martina and Maria, and I REALLY can't believe they have the right to wake the athletes at 6 am from a sound sleep to test them...f-ing hell! Talk about complete lack of respect and personal infringement! Wow... :rolleyes:

PLP
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
She should not have taken her concerns to the press. If she wanted to bitch about it, she should have complained to tour officials only...not the media. It doesn't look good. Fans want the testing performed...and not necessarily at the convenience of the players. That would sort of defeat the purpose of testing.

SF
I don't want them performed at the inconvenience of the athletes though....and I don't think there is any substance that will suddenly be out of your body in an hour or two. Plus, I don't see why Martina should have kept quiet, why should any player keep quiet about anything? especially something like this which is happening to all the players?

adam_ads_n
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Well...was she accused of doping before or something? She is not Sesil or someone who came out of nowhere. For me that is strange that they took her for unplanned drug tests on person who achieved a lot before, and achieve it now, taking into consideration that she never had any doping offence.

On the oher hand I wonder how the whole day can be ruined by anti-doping control.

saki
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Well...was she accused of doping before or something? She is not Sesil or someone who came out of nowhere. For me that is strange that they took her for unplanned drug tests on person who achieved a lot before, and achieve it now, taking into consideration that she never had any doping offence.

They do it to every player regularly. No exceptions. Which I think is fair enough.

partbrit
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:27 PM
I worked around drug testing for years. Hingis is right--there is absolutely no reason for them to test people at ridiculous hours. I suspect that those in charge of drug testing, especially in today's climate, develop a certain amount of wannabe police mentality.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM
oh boo hoo, welcome to the world of sports martina, i know it's hard to believe, but people, yes, even you, get tested!!!

adam_ads_n
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM
They do it to every player regularly. No exceptions. Which I think is fair enough.
I can't say it is not, but I agree with Martina that they should not do it during her training session, when everything is planned. I was in Warsaw with a press pass and I know how it works: one player trains from 12 to 1, another one 1.10-2.10 etc. And I really don't believe Martina can take anything.

alwayshingis
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
So this is why Martina was out on court again practicing later on. She did end up having a really strange practice shedule on Sunday. I thought something was up.

markhingis
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Martina is the last person I would suspect of doping.
Maybe if she won French Open or other slam it'd be a reason to think about,but I find that control ridiculous.

They should've tested Sharapova ('Do not disturb' on the door) or any other,who are playing extremely well this season.

Why do they always tease her?!

Williams-forever
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
Well, maybe the dope-testers has their reasons for doing it unexpected...So the players cannot form a schedule in which they can take their drugs etc...i don't know, but it sounds like there's some kind of idea in it...

Direwolf
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
I think that it would be more fair had the tournament tested all the players that day...

chuCKnorris
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM
The picture is more interesting :tape: :angel:

the picture rocks! :drool:

TonyP
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
She is not complaining about surprise testing, only about the time they decided to make the surprise test, right in the middle of her practice sessions. They had apparently had some rain at La Costa and according to one poster, it was difficult on Sunday to find a dry court to practice on. So what Martina seems to have said is, the drug testers should have checked with the office to find out the players practice schedules before just walking out and interrupting things. Maybe this is a little snitty, but the drug testers should probably schedule tests around an athlete's free time.

I would not be surprised if the time of the test had more to do with the testers convenience than anything else.

©@®eLess
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
I'm 100% with Martina on this one.

Besides, she's the last one I would suspect of doping. :)

wouldn't agree with you- those moustache don't just come out of nowhere
(waiting for loads of bed rep)

i'm sure women tennis is like other sports-we all tought Sesil was just a kid...didn't we?

Martian Willow
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
Martina complianed about having to take a dope test at 6am, therefore SHE IS OBVIOUSLY ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

goldenlox
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM
That is some picture

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20060801/capt.sge.aqw49.010806070558.photo00.photo.default-324x512.jpg

©@®eLess
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think that it would be more fair had the tournament tested all the players that day...

i agree-they should all sit on a bench at same time and wait for their turn, especially after all is going on in pro sports lately...

they should check once before tourn and once they got-knocked out of it, or after the tourn is ended.

champion88
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM
what two great scandals does the article refer to?? :confused:

*JR*
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
This story is a real pisser! :lol:

adam_ads_n
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM
what two great scandals does the article refer to?? :confused:
Probably Landis in Tour de France and Gatlin in Athetics 100 m sprint.

rikvanlooy
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM

- why they have to come at impossible hours? Wouldn't 9AM do as well as 6AM or are these substances that can vanish that quickly from the body?

There are products which are only to be found during a few hours, eg. the testosteron Floyd Landis took.

One only catches the athlete when he makes a mistake or when the athlete is caught in the act (or short after it - eg. 02 am).

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
this is encouraging news because it means the testers are catching the players off guard with the timing of the controls. Now if we only knew whether the tests themselves are working well enough to detect anything...

CC
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:48 PM
I say get over it. Maybe they wanted that surprise element and doing tests during sleep or practice hours makes sense.

rikvanlooy
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:49 PM
There are products which are only to be found during a few hours, eg. the testosteron Floyd Landis took.

One only catches the athlete when he makes a mistake or when the athlete is caught in the act (or short after it - eg. 02 am).

BTW : Don't you find it funny how people who tested positive come up with the most funny explanations ? In tennis we have some funny ones as well. Most people here know that Sesil told the press that she was pregnant at the time. A shame that she didn't know that this can be checked by means of the blood.

For the Belgians : Frank Vdb with his dog and Mario Declercq with his book on doping, ...

I don't think there a lot of Belgians who still believe that topsport without doping is possible.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM
Probably Landis in Tour de France and Gatlin in Athetics 100 m sprint.

Yeah, definitely

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
I can't say it is not, but I agree with Martina that they should not do it during her training session, when everything is planned. I was in Warsaw with a press pass and I know how it works: one player trains from 12 to 1, another one 1.10-2.10 etc. And I really don't believe Martina can take anything.

thats not how it works :wavey:

the whole point of them turning up unannounced is to catch the one taking drugs

what do you want them to do, ring the player up and make an appointment :rolleyes:
in that case the players would drug themselves up and they would be clean by the time their "appointment" was due.

WTA should hand over to WADA and then there would be some fireworks :devil:

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM

what do you want them to do, ring the player up and make an appointment :rolleyes:
in that case the players would drug themselves up and they would be clean by the time their "appointment" was due.

agree. It's bad enough that the WTA is running its own secret testing program. Maybe they even put Hingis up to complaining to make it look like they are doing something.

Dementinator
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
what makes her so special? all the others have to undergo testing too ,despite what she thinks ,the world does not revolve around her.

hablo
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
wouldn't agree with you- those moustache don't just come out of nowhere
(waiting for loads of bed rep)

So lame, there are some (I'm tempted to say lots of) women who have unwanted hairs and it doesn't mean they're doping :rolleyes:

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Yep.. she never said NOT TO TEST.. she said.. they can do it any proper time.. that means.. can wait the sun.. and that doesnt mean not to be a surprise.. you know.. thats all.. not at 6 am.. just in hospitals happen that situations... is not like say : "We gonna test you in three hrs".. PLEEEEEASE!!! She is asking just to be careful with schedule cause court conditions to practice.. yes, is a sport and testing happen anytime but not at 6 am..I think is good she mentioned it.. cause that kind of interruption happen to all players.. is fair to test everybody but is fair respect Martina's sleep as equal to all players too.. whoever they are...

Jaja.. hello!!.. she is not the center of universe.. but is enough famous and enoguh BIG TENNIS STAR than some "other" players to complain and ask respect and consideration.. for her and other player too.. even media prefer mention each word came from her than " :tape: ".. well.. same happen with the big shots.. WS, Sharapova, Roger, Belgian girls, Rafa..

adam_ads_n
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:22 PM

I meant that they should not do it during training session, when Martina's time is planned. I bet she was to train, and then to have some press conference etc. etc. Unplanned drug tests are normal, but as Martina said - they should look more carefully to the plans of the players, and call them for tests after they finish their practice, press conference, maybe autograph sessions. I think she wouldn't make any fuss about it, while being asked to have their drug-test after all these things.

barmaid
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
oh boo hoo, welcome to the world of sports martina, i know it's hard to believe, but people, yes, even you, get tested!!!

I can remember a couple of years ago when your dahling "Sisters" were tested when the crew went to their home and knocked on the door and they were extremely "pissed" off at the time.:devil: The bigger the stars ..the harder they "moan" its an ego thing!:rolleyes: :p

barmaid:wavey:

franny
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:30 PM
She is right. Why are people jumping on her for this? It makes no sense to randomly drug test a player IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY WHILE THEY ARE TRAINING. Because of this, she loses valuable training time the day before a tournament begins. They can drug test her after her practice sessions or before, but they should not do it during. Or at least wait until she's done practicing or something. If she's taken drugs, the supplements would still be in her body. Steroids and other supplements take more than just hours to rid itself in your body. It can take days if not more.

And she is not just speaking for herself. She is speaking for all players. Players schedule their training regimes very specifically and carefully. It is disrespectful for all players for them to do it at a time when they would be training so that they can compete at a higher level for the fans and for the tour.

The only thing I disagree with her on is the don't wake me up when I'm sleeping thing. If you are going to complain about being tested during your training sessions, don't complain about being tested too early, because you're not leaving much room for the tests to be taken.

griffin
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:38 PM
I can remember a couple of years ago when your dahling "Sisters" were tested when the crew went to their home and knocked on the door and they were extremely "pissed" off at the time.:devil: The bigger the stars ..the harder they "moan" its an ego thing!:rolleyes: :p

barmaid:wavey:

Are you perhaps remembering something that didn't happen?

Venus once did express reservations about out-of-competition testing, saying she wouldn't WANT people randomly knocking at her door...but I don't think anyone actually did.

I also don't believe the WTA tests outside of tournaments. Hmmm....

If I were Chucky, I'd be far more upset about being woken up at some godawful hour of the morning (well, assuming they managed to get me out of bed that early :lol:) than having my daytime schedule disrupted...but I don't see why the WhiteCoats can't just wait until the players leave the court.

Sanneriet
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think she is being too picky. Most people use the restroom before working out (well, maybe not-it just seems logical). Once the testers show up, you MUST submit a urine sample, even if you have to drink a couple of liters of water to do it. So, it may not have been a matter of pop of to the ladies room, but it could have taken some time. There was a funny article about some Olympic athletes being surprised in the morning once, and one of them was like "Dang, they show up five minutes after I use the bathroom" It took him almost two hours to produce a large enough sample.

sukova1978
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM
If it no big deal when test is taken then why she complain? Something to find perhaps, interesting

Sanneriet
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM
If it no big deal when test is taken then why she complain? Something to find perhaps, interesting

When the test was taken was the deal, not the fact that they wanted a test.

jj74
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well i remember a similar remark of Venus Williams some years ago, and she is right, they must to do the test but try to upset the players as less as is possible.
Cyclism isn't a good example because it's true that doping is more a problem in that sport, but noone on wta or atp (specially top players) tolerate the disrespect of some doping control in cyclism (like making the control at 3 a.m. with 200 km to have the next day)

TonyP
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM
"the whole point of them turning up unannounced is to catch the one taking drugs"

No, surprise testing is not to catch someone taking drugs. What would be the chances of that happening, anyway --the drug testers just happening to knock on the door at the right moment?

The probable reason for surprise testing is to make sure the subject cannot get a friend to subsitute their urin for the player's urin. Or to ensure the player doesn't have a chance to get the drugs out of her system.

But drug testers are not the police. They don't have a search warrant. They can't "toss the place," looking for drugs.

Well, of course, this is America and Bush may have decided that's ok these days.

Incidentally, how disruptive might it be? Well, if Hingis was on the practice court at the time, then she would have had to stop practice, leave the court along with the testing people, find a ladies room, give the sample, and then do whatever else is involved, signing papers or something like that. Only then could she return to the court and resume practice. And courts are usually booked for a limited amount of time.

I am in favor of testing, but how about showing some courtesy for the players.

jamatthews
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
They should have drug testing during the matches since some players will be having toilet breaks anyway. ;)

perseus2006
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM
There are a few problems:

1. It's unfortunate that the translation into English was done by a non-English speaking person. The translation's grammar, wordselection and word order obfuscate what is being said. There is no clarity to the article!

2. Hingis said she was disturbed during a training session or was it at 6AM while she was sleeping, as most of the posters seem to think? I doubt Hingis is in the middle of a training session at 6AM! Or was it Pova that was awakened at 6AM regardless of the "do not disturb" sign on the door? Or was Pova not tested because of the "do not disturb" sign?

3. To get clarity on the issue, we will have to wait to see if Pova complains. She will speak more clearly. I believe Pova was cited in an article on testing late last year saying she was tested over 20 times in 2005. Once, as a total surprise, while she was vacationing at an island resort! Maybe it was Lindsay, though.

4. The drug testing is a good thing. The program is designed to be intrusive on the players and unpredictable. I personally support programs to eliminate the drugs in sports at all levels of competition. It's just another "thing" pro athletes have to live with, "it comes with the territory".

5. Hingis must have been interupted during a tounge sharpening session to react so harshly. She has had a nasty mouth since arriving on the scene and has earned many anti-fans because of it.

6. Hingis is a dope but I doubt she is doping. So, my advice to Hingis: "Piss in the cup and STFU!!! God knows it shouldn't be difficult for you the way you continuously piss on all your opponents."

mykarma
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:34 PM
They should have drug testing during the matches since some players will be having toilet breaks anyway. ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

Jem
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
As The Boiled Egg noted, there is a surprise element to the testing. It's actually possible to use masking agents or either someone else's urine for the sample. We have random drug testing at my company. Once you're notified, you have 15 minutes to report for the testing -- regardless of what you're doing at the time. This time limit applies to everyone -- from the CEO to the rank and file. The sample is taken in a very controlled environment to prevent tampering with the process or the sample. Sure it's inconvenient, but I'm more than OK putting up with the tiniest bit of inconvenience to make sure I'm not working alongside someone who's taking drugs.

ezekiel
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM
there is nothing wrong with testing if it's done around matches but when it goes beyond that it becomes intrusive and it's not justified to do that unless the player is already known as a past offender, drug abuser and cheater

irinska
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
The drug testing in tennis is doing nothing as in other sports as well. OK. Landis was tested at least 5 times during the tour and he got only one positive test, what about the other riders are they clean riding with the same speed as him. Give me a break !
Martina has nothing to hide but there are other tennisplayers who're using drugs.
This is the good in tennis you can still achieve alot without taking drugs. In 99% of the other sports it's just imposible.

There ihttp://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060801/ts_alt_afp/tenniswtausa_060801053618s the original article:

PLP
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes: I'm a little disappointed that posters are using this as a chance to bash Martina instead of looking at it from a clear perspective, but not at all surprised.

All of the players should have rights, including the right to practice and sleep, two important things for players in order to win matches, and no, they shouldn't have to 'announce' the testing, but they shouldn't act as the county sherriff either.

IMO there is definitely a power trip going on here, not just in tennis ...The system is corrupt and it's not working anyway, it needs a major overhaul, but that is a totally different subject.

©@®eLess
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
So lame, there are some (I'm tempted to say lots of) women who have unwanted hairs and it doesn't mean they're doping :rolleyes:

yeah but some of these women have millions of dollars and could pay attention on their hair. And BTW i never saw moustaches like THAT on any other women her age!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus it seems she uses raisers to shave them off! I mean hello............

Carmen Mairena
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
She shouldn't complain... Anti-doping measures are very important!!! :yeah:

Just look at that retarded American who cheated to win Le Tour de France! :haha:

griffin
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Actually, I think the "retarded ones" are the guys who cheated but lost anyway ;)

Helen Lawson
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
Come on, if women on the tour are doped, it isn't her.

vutt
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
I wonder why she only complains? Why others can cope, but she can not.

Martian Jeza
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
A moustache or not, she still is a very cute woman but yeah many have only their eyes for players like Vaidisova, Sharapova and girls/young women like those at physical side... You don't need to be a nearly perfect topmodel to be an attractive girl/woman...

Aphrodite
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Whatever Martina has a right to an opinion, no one should be judging her for it, or making claims that she is using drugs, she has never been in any scandals like that, as far as I am concerned she is clean. Her opinions are her opinions, now to start insulting her that is just lame and immature.

Lindsayfan32
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Interesting that Martina uses the words no good reason I would've thought drug testing was a good reason has she got something to hide? But it also interesting that Maria doesn't get touched at all. Onething I know there is no place of drugs in sport and testing is just a part of life.

griffin
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Whatever Martina has a right to an opinion, no one should be judging her for it, or making claims that she is using drugs, she has never been in any scandals like that, as far as I am concerned she is clean. Her opinions are her opinions, now to start insulting her that is just lame and immature.

So...we can't judge Martina for her opinions, but YOU can judge people for their opinions?

You get that you're contradicting yourself, right?

(although I agree with you that some people are going overboard)

Martian Jeza
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
I would like to see some of the Martina bashers of here at 5 in the morning while you are sleeping deeply and well : someone knocks very hard on your door with some people with him/her and say " Police, we have to inspect your house " without a valuable reason : you would also complain and have a very bad mood...

Martian Jeza
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Interesting that Martina uses the words no good reason I would've thought drug testing was a good reason has she got something to hide?

What kind of drug do you imagine she would use ? :tape:

Helen Lawson
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:33 PM
I would like to see some of the Martina bashers of here at 5 in the morning while you are sleeping deeply and well : someone knocks very hard on your door with some people with him/her and say " Police, we have to inspect your house " without a valuable reason : you would also complain and have a very bad mood...

I think testing Martina is silly, the girl is not on dope. However, if I was making $$$$ like her every year on the tour, they could come by and bang on my door any time, day or night, and get a urine sample.

I think in the world of pro athletes, they can tell among themselves who is using and who is not. She's probably mad because there are chicks who are likely using but it's she who gets the random test.

Aphrodite
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:40 PM
So...we can't judge Martina for her opinions, but YOU can judge people for their opinions?

You get that you're contradicting yourself, right?

(although I agree with you that some people are going overboard)

Well actually I am defending her, not judging anyone really, and its one thing for Martina to express an opinion that in no way is insulting anybody or doing any harm. We all have opinions, I know and thats fine, its not the point I was trying to make, I just think its immature to start insulting her appearance or her character, its lame, and if you cant see that well thats your problem, quite frankly your opinion, we all have one, I was simply stating mine.:rolleyes:

Aphrodite
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well actually I am defending her, not judging anyone really, and its one thing for Martina to express an opinion that in no way is insulting anybody or doing any harm. We all have opinions, I know and thats fine, its not the point I was trying to make, I just think its immature to start insulting her appearance or her character, its lame, and if you cant see that well thats your problem, quite frankly your opinion, we all have one, I was simply stating mine.:rolleyes:

also it is one thing to be saying an opinion about someone in their face, to them, esp when your communicating directly with them and its another to be trash talking someone based on their character without knowing them, behind their back.:p

Dawn Marie
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:48 PM
A random drug test is just that. Random and I'm sure the timing won't be to the person who is being tested liking. I know from a tennis player standpoint she is ticked but from a logical standpoint the drug testers will not bend to her demands.

davidmario
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:55 PM
I actually agree with her. There is no difference, test-wise, in having the test done at a more convenient time.
You never know. I think it is great when they come REALLY unexpected.
Especially these days, where doping became more popular (Landis, Karatantcheva etc...)

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
i agree w/ martina wooo BLAST AWAY!!! the wta has been needing change for a while, but not like this!!! they are doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much all of a sudden and inappropriately -- they might drive a lot of players and fans from the sport.

Buitenzorg
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM
:eek:

LoveFifteen
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Martina is an evil ho who is clearly doping. She's just mad they knocked on her door at that time because she had to hide all of her drugs. When you see her killer serve and amazingly powerful shots, you just know that bitch is on the juice. :o

alfonsojose
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM
I think testing Martina is silly, the girl is not on dope. However, if I was making $$$$ like her every year on the tour, they could come by and bang on my door any time, day or night, and get a urine sample.

I think in the world of pro athletes, they can tell among themselves who is using and who is not. She's probably mad because there are chicks who are likely using but it's she who gets the random test.
Maybe they tought "anyone who dates Radek is on drugs" :tape:

delicatecutter
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:27 PM

:spit: so true!

shannonannafan
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm just curious how many drug tests Martina has had since her return. She was retired when they really started pushing the drug testing. The fact that she is still coming back, she might still be getting use to the whole thing. Even though it's highly doubtful that Martina would ever do anything wrong, I'm sure it can a very nervous experience if you are still getting use to the new testing procedures. The fact that the whole Tour de France investigations are going on probably doesn't help her nerves. Poor Martina :sad:

ezekiel
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
Martina is an evil ho who is clearly doping. She's just mad they knocked on her door at that time because she had to hide all of her drugs. When you see her killer serve and amazingly powerful shots, you just know that bitch is on the juice. :o

:haha: :bowdown: :lol:

perseus2006
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:05 AM
I'm just curious how many drug tests Martina has had since her return. She was retired when they really started pushing the drug testing. The fact that she is still coming back, she might still be getting use to the whole thing. Even though it's highly doubtful that Martina would ever do anything wrong, I'm sure it can a very nervous experience if you are still getting use to the new testing procedures. The fact that the whole Tour de France investigations are going on probably doesn't help her nerves. Poor Martina :sad:

I thought I read in the Rules on WTA.com that players are tested at least once at every tournament played and at least twice during the year outside of the sanctioned tournaments. I just don't have the time right now to go look it up! Can someone do that?

I know how strange it is to suggest on this forum that facts be sought in discussion but sometimes they are interesting.

As for Hingis, she's always had a big mouth and a martyr complex! I am sure her name is derived from that.

dinhd82
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:08 AM

Did you not read her statement? It's not about getting tested, that's not her point, it's the timing during the day. And it's not about unfairness to herself, it's about in general, for everybody and she has the guts to bring the media in because it will create awareness! DUH! :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
Knowing Hingis like we all do, perhaps she was entertaining a male friend. :lol:

Cp6uja
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:49 AM
Did you not read her statement? It's not about getting tested, that's not her point, it's the timing during the day. And it's not about unfairness to herself, it's about in general, for everybody and she has the guts to bring the media in because it will create awareness! DUH! :rolleyes:

and here is one quote from ANA IVANOVIC DIARY: (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=diary&yearmonth=2006-07&detailpage=90)

Inside the tennis world
Posted at: July 13, 2006

There is not much to tell you about myself at the moment, I am just training, so I will tell you more about the tennis world. Some months ago I talked about the media, now I will tell you a little bit about another important procedure that takes place after matches: doping tests.

This is a very important part of tennis and all sport, to make sure that no one is cheating. Doping tests are done randomly and they tell you after the match if you have to go to give samples.

They wait for you after the match and follow you as soon as you walk off court. If you want to stretch or eat something they are all the time with you! Even if you want to take a shower you must leave the curtain open. Of course, this is not a nice feeling but I think all professionals accept that this is a necessary procedure.

Then when you go to give the sample they are still watching you. It is like having your own shadow! It’s a little bit strange because they do not talk to you, they just follow you and watch what you are doing. It doesn’t feel good when someone is watching you like this, but of course this is an important part of sport and I fully support it.

I will write to you again soon.

Regards
Ana

This is not good way...IMO

So... MARTINA ROCKS :bounce: and WTA police forces :fiery: sucks !!!

PatrickRyan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
it happens to everyone...so what's the big deal???

dinhd82
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:23 AM
it happens to everyone...so what's the big deal???

the big deal is the way they go about testing, NOT the testing itself. Get that thru your brains!!! :wavey:

go hingis
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:05 AM
So does this mean they are standing naked in the shower with these guys watching and are they standing in there with them while they're pissing or outside the door??? Ana's side makes it sound very worrying especially if they are using men to watch these young ladies.

alfonsojose
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:27 AM
So does this mean they are standing naked in the shower with these guys watching and are they standing in there with them while they're pissing or outside the door??? Ana's side makes it sound very worrying especially if they are using men to watch these young ladies.
Mom Stevenson surely prefer these guys over women. No more predators in the locker room :tape:

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:58 AM
I think it's fair enough what Hingis says - if she had training planeed, they could at least wait till after she finished, and not disrupt her day.

But they seem to like to test at stupid hours. I know in Rosmalen. Misa krajicek got tested after her QF doubles match, which finished at like 9pm (and of course then you have to do media stuff and that as well) and she didn't get to her hotel till 1am the next morning, and had to play the next day... :rolleyes: Like they couldn't have tested her that morning, or the morning after? :lol: Would like to have seen her have time to take something before the doubles ,as she'd played her singles match, then had like 45 mins to get ready for her doubles...

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
:lol: Well from what Ana says, I would just go straight after my match and drink as much as possible, so I can just pee then and get rid of them before I do anything else! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:03 AM

I see you read all of what she said before making that bullshit remark then... :rolleyes: (and no, i'm not even a Hingis fan).

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM
Well, maybe the dope-testers has their reasons for doing it unexpected...So the players cannot form a schedule in which they can take their drugs etc...i don't know, but it sounds like there's some kind of idea in it...

yeah, but as everyone is saying, they could have waited till Hingis had finished her training. The stuff (if she was taking) wouldn't leave her body in 30 mins!

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:09 AM
The only thing I disagree with her on is the don't wake me up when I'm sleeping thing. If you are going to complain about being tested during your training sessions, don't complain about being tested too early, because you're not leaving much room for the tests to be taken.

Yes, that bit I agree with you on! But during training - that sucks.

PatrickRyan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:10 AM
the big deal is the way they go about testing, NOT the testing itself. Get that thru your brains!!! :wavey:
how long does it take to piss in a cup??? :)

darrinbaker00
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:13 AM

That's why it's called "random" testing. ;)

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:16 AM

It depends if you need to pee or not... you can't just pee like 5 drops! :p You have to have enough for an a and a b sample! :p

PatrickRyan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM
It depends if you need to pee or not... you can't just pee like 5 drops! :p You have to have enough for an a and a b sample! :p
:lol: ok thanks

dinhd82
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:22 AM

Long enough for many players to get annoyed, again not the fact that they are getting tested but the procedure, messes up their routine, and for a professional athlete, they take it very seriously.

DutchieGirl
Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:23 AM
:lol: ok thanks

No worries... Patty once wrote a blog for WTA (last year I think) at one tourney, and she got tested, and she said she had to drink litres of water before she needed to pee so... ;)

louisa2k2
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:50 AM
Thats Martina not afraid to say what she thinks! Thats what i love about her, if you dont speak then nothing will change :)

Martian Stacey
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:05 AM
and here is one quote from ANA IVANOVIC DIARY: (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=diary&yearmonth=2006-07&detailpage=90)

This is not good way...IMO

So... MARTINA ROCKS :bounce: and WTA police forces :fiery: sucks !!!
thats pretty intrusive :o i think if it were me i would just keep drinking water until i had to go... i wouldn't go and have a shower with them watching :tape:

i don't see the point of interupting training for the test. To me it would make more sense to do it after a match :shrug: Who would take drugs just for a training session? :lol:

arn
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:56 AM

But what is a convenient time? For Hingis it's in the morning or evening, other players like to sleep til 10am or do not want to be disturbed while dining/training in the evening.

If every sportsman has to be asked first if the timing is right or not, all doped athletes will say no and try to inject other stuff to disguise what they are using.

I think the only right way is 24/24, 7/7.

nicky
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM

I'm sure that it was a (or more :shrug: )woman who was following her into the locker room. Drug testers can be female you know ;) :p

And I think that procedure is normal: as of the moment you know you will be drug tested you could try to mask your abuse, like other people said. That's why you're not left alone anymore.

griffin
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'm sure that it was a (or more :shrug: )woman who was following her into the locker room. Drug testers can be female you know ;) :p

And I think that procedure is normal: as of the moment you know you will be drug tested you could try to mask your abuse, like other people said. That's why you're not left alone anymore.

Exactly, and I think you will find this is the case for any legitimate testing regimen. I don't imagine any of this is fun, but it's just a fact of life in the sports world today. Waiting for her courtside rather than interrupting a training session probably wouldn't dent the integrity of the process, but the test do need to be random: random times, random players (as in, "not based on whether or not someone else thinks they could be cheating")

Whether or not you think Hingis has the potential to be doping should not factor in. Generally speaking, people's reasons for assuming a player is/isn't doping are even dumber than people's reasons for assuming a player is/isn't gay - and that's saying something! Nothing about John McEnroe's game or his physique would make anyone think he would try steroids. He is and was a scrawny bastard, and his game was built on finesse. But he admitted to trying steroids during a comeback attempt years ago.

Do I think Martina's doping? No, but that's because I don't think doping is a common phenomenon on the Tour, not because she's too small/weak/"smart"/pure/whatever to try it.

Justine Fan
Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM

:haha: :haha:

Brilliant!