PDA

View Full Version : has any over-30 player made a successful comeback...

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:02 AM
...after falling out of the Top 100? Suarez, Capriati, and Rubin have all turned 30 this year.

Tripp
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM
I don't think Paola will be coming back to the top 100 anytime soon, as she's retiring by the end of the year, unless she's changed her mind and I'm not aware of it.

Jennifer? Forget about it, she's not coming back. It'd be cool to have her on the Tour again, but the fact is that she's not healthy enough to play pro tennis anymore.

Chanda could be back in the Top 100, but that's only if she stays healthy enough to play.

spiceboy
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM
Kveta Peschke was 1 year and a half gone from the Tour in 2003/2004 and made her comeback with no ranking :sad:

After just 14 months (right after her 4th round in Wimbledon 2005) she came back to the top 50 the very same week she turned 30 :worship:

SelesFan70
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:13 AM
If you count doubles, Navratilova would be the benchmark for this. :)

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
If you count doubles, Navratilova would be the benchmark for this. :)

sorry, i meant in singles - obviously a lot tougher than doing it in dubbs.

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
Kveta Peschke was 1 year and a half gone from the Tour in 2003/2004 and made her comeback with no ranking :sad:

After just 14 months (right after her 4th round in Wimbledon 2005) she came back to the top 50 the very same week she turned 30 :worship:

i would have said Kveta made her comeback at age 29 but maybe she is the closest example we have got.

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM
i guess it depends on what you classify as a successful comeback.

AlanaStarr
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM
Jennifer? Forget about it, she's not coming back. It'd be cool to have her on the Tour again, but the fact is that she's not healthy enough to play pro tennis anymore.

thats rather presumptuous of you dont you think? Last time i checked Capriati stil posseses a killer game and tennis ability, and sorry sweety, but that just dont go up in smoke, sore shoulder or no sore shoulder. Yes, she may end up retiring, but dont assume shes gone, because its people like you shes loves to prove wrong.

IF capriati comes back, hunney shes gunning for the top 10, and she will make it there, no worries about that. You honestly think that if Patty Schnyder and her minions can be in the top 10, then Jen cant? Hon, jen is 10 times better than Patty on Patty's best day. And thats when jen is having a "bad day".

Alana.

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:24 AM

thats rather presumptuous of you dont you think? Last time i checked Capriati stil posseses a killer game and tennis ability, and sorry sweety, but that just dont go up in smoke, sore shoulder or no sore shoulder. Yes, she may end up retiring, but dont assume shes gone, because its people like you shes loves to prove wrong.

IF capriati comes back, hunney shes gunning for the top 10, and she will make it there, no worries about that. You honestly think that if Patty Schnyder and her minions can be in the top 10, then Jen cant? Hon, jen is 10 times better than Patty on Patty's best day. And thats when jen is having a "bad day".

Alana.

hey Trish is back :lol:

funny logic considering that Patty has beaten Capriati in straight sets in the semis of tier I when Jen was ranked number 1. So on her worst day she is still 10 times better than Patty despite the fact that she lost in straight sets :lol:

nice to be able to shut you down again :)

AlanaStarr
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:36 AM

funny logic considering that Patty has beaten Capriati in straight sets in the semis of tier I when Jen was ranked number 1. So on her worst day she is still 10 times better than Patty despite the fact that she lost in straight sets :lol:

nice to be able to shut you down again :)

lets not get defensive. Patty is a great player, but im being realistic, Jennifer is the better player, not at all bashing patty.

and monica is my favorite player, jen is my second fave, get your facts straight, "trish"

????
alana

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:15 AM
defensive? i simply countered your flawed assertion that Jen is 10 times better at her worst than Patty at her best :)

I would never try to argue that Patty is better than Capriati - their records speak for themselves

Just because Patty is top 10 and Jen was better than her is not proof that she could easily come back to the top because the simple fact is that Capriati needs to be fit to compete at that level and she has not been now for a number of years and shows no real signs of ever being again. Patty is one of the fittest players on tour and that's why she's where she is.

You are Trish ;)

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:25 AM

:rolls:

we think alike switzy because that was my exact thought even before i scrolled down and read your post!

Welcome back sweety, you've been gone for years... :kiss:

vogus
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
i guess it depends on what you classify as a successful comeback.

it's not that hard to differentiate between a successful comeback and one that is a flop.

Let's say comes back to Top 30, just for argument sake.

AlanaStarr
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
Yes, sure, patty is fit and strong, and, for a number of players, she confuses them with her endless spins and angled slices. She doesnt towever posses any weapon than strikes me as being phenomenal. Certainly none of her shots can be considered a "dictating shot" and so thats why i was saying that Capriati is superior. Capriti has several strong shots at her disposal. You know that im sure.

I just dissagree with your assesment, i feel capriati can make it back to the top. Your point of her not being fit doesnt ring true. Capriati was arguably not very fit when she was making the semi finals of grand slam tournaments and taking serena out in 3 of there 4 encounters. Capriati has never really been in great shape, not in comparison to either William sister, however if she were, we wouldnt be having this discussion, she would still be playing.

As for trish, thanks for the compliment, im in rare company im sure, as ive been told, the "great trish" was quite the firecraker in her day. And her departure left many sad, because she was actutally interesting.

I assure you Im ALOT nicer than her. (unless you mess with me, of course! :angel: )

Alana :kiss:

DutchieGirl
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:15 AM
Maybe Brenda can do it! :angel: We'll see. ;)

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:24 AM
I just dissagree with your assesment, i feel capriati can make it back to the top. Your point of her not being fit doesnt ring true. Capriati was arguably not very fit when she was making the semi finals of grand slam tournaments and taking serena out in 3 of there 4 encounters. Capriati has never really been in great shape, not in comparison to either William sister, however if she were, we wouldnt be having this discussion, she would still be playing.

not fit as in fat, fit as in can get on the court and stay there for a long time. i have no doubt an injury free Capriati could rise to the top 10 again but IMO an injury free Capriati is something we are not likely to see again. hope so though :)

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:25 AM
:rolls:

we think alike switzy because that was my exact thought even before i scrolled down and read your post!

Welcome back sweety, you've been gone for years... :kiss:

they must at least be relating. the poster style is way too similar

AlanaStarr
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM
okay, well thats fine, I agree.

Alana

jmd
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Paola is entering for sure!!

Jakeev
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
I want to say Billie Jean King in the early 80's when she found late career success in her late 30's from I think 81-83.

Her career had steadily been in decline but she suddenly began beating players twice her age and going far again in Grand Slams.

tennisvideos
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Margaret Court retired late in 1971 to have a baby then made a comeback in late 1972 at the age of 30 and proceeded to win 3 of the 4 Slams in 1973 and dominated a stellar season that included Evert, Goolagong, King, Wade, Durr, Richey etc.

She then retired again in 1974 to have her second child, came back again in 1975 (age 33) and made the Wimbledon Semis, won the USO Doubles and Wimbledon Mixed.

Billie-Jean King herself made a great comeback in 1982 & 1983 when at the age of 39 & 40 she made the Wimbledon Semis, only to be stopped by Evert and Jaeger consecutively. A marvellous feat also.

They are just two that spring to mind.

Tripp
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:53 AM

Alana.

Yeah, right. You're so blinded by your fanatism that you just can't see the fact that her body just can't hold up. She's been playing tennis full time for more than 25 years and her body just can't handle it any more
, as simple as that.

And I don't think I ever questioned her talent, I only said she's not coming back -and she won't, just wait and see-.