PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2007-Need your help

J_Migoe
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:34 PM
I will be going to the Australian Open in 2007. Can someone help me providing information on cheap backpacker hostels are I can stay in during the two weeks. It will be my first visit to Melbourne so I would really appreciate any kind of help.

My email address is jjunior@frca.org.fj

Regards
J_Migoe

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:28 AM
http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php?PHPSESSID=hdbtc21bssc5e7884f6eub713g9 1qwd3

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:33 AM
i've never stayed in hostel in Melbourne so i can't recommend one. Where are you coming from? You get some pretty decent hotels or serviced apartments in Melbourne pretty cheaply - especially if your on the pound

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:37 AM
I'll keep posting though :lol:

St Kilda is a "beach" (not like Sydney though ;) ) which would be good to be near in summer although it's not really within walking distance to the Melbourne Park (20 minutes by tram probably).

Melobourne Park is a 10 /15 minute walk from the CBD so it would be convenient to stay there. Also it would be pretty easily to get a train to areas like Hawthorn etc.

Considering it will be summer i would certainly want to be near the water - especially after being at the tennis all day. It's worth the travel IMO.

switz
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:39 AM
this is where i would stay though. might be a litle pricey after 2 weeks though :lol:

http://www.westin.com.au/m_index.html

Martian Stacey
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:26 AM
I'll keep posting though :lol:

St Kilda is a "beach" (not like Sydney though ;) ) which would be good to be near in summer although it's not really within walking distance to the Melbourne Park (20 minutes by tram probably).

Melobourne Park is a 10 /15 minute walk from the CBD so it would be convenient to stay there. Also it would be pretty easily to get a train to areas like Hawthorn etc.

Considering it will be summer i would certainly want to be near the water - especially after being at the tennis all day. It's worth the travel IMO.
:haha: @ "beach" ;)

I would recommend staying in the city. When i went to Melbourne, i stayed in South Yarra, which is a little bit out of the city, and it was kind of a pain buying the tram ticket everyday to go to the city :lol:

Staying in the city is closer to the tennis centre, and if you want to head out of the CBD (to go to the "beach" for example :lol: ) its easier just to get the tram out on the days you want, rather than staying outside the city and having to travel back there most days.

Also, the cab fare to your accommodation from the airport would probably be a little cheaper ;) And the taxi driver might actually know where they are supposed to go :o