PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC reporter sees Hezbollah fighters in Qana, where he saw none before

Volcana
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM
This particular article has some real interesting stuff in it. WHat it implies is very interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14121961/

Hezbollah fighters emerge from the shadows
REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK
By Richard Engel
Beirut bureau chief
NBC News
07-31-06
Updated: 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

QANA, Lebanon ó Since the beginning of this conflict with Israel, Hezbollah fighters have been almost like ghosts.
Weíve gone into towns and there appears to be nobody in them. You certainly donít see Hezbollah gunmen roaming around. They are very, very low-profile.
But on Monday in Qana, there were many of them on the streets. Hezbollah fighters, as well as the few civilians left in the area, were taking advantage of the 48-hour suspension of Israeli airstrikes to assess the situation and to move about.

Hezbollah out and about
In one area downtown there appeared to be 10 to 15 young men in their 30s or 40s who were Hezbollah members or sympathizers.

We could identify them as part of Hezbollah by the way they behave, their age group and their body language.

And by the fact that they are basically the only young men in this city.

All weíve been seeing driving around from town to town is women and children. So when we suddenly pulled up and saw a group of about ten young guys sitting around with radios, and they didnít want their picture taken, it was pretty obvious who they are.

The men were dressed in civilian clothes, but some of them had Hezbollah tattoos, and one young man was wearing a Hezbollah tee-shirt with a picture of one of the Hezbollah leaders on it.

And then there were the ones in cars. You could see more young men with slight beards, short haircuts, tee-shirts and jeans driving around with radios and late model Mercedes and BMWs. They were on the move ó moving around, communicating, and trying to stay on top of the situation.

Where were all the men?
They were generally willing to talk. I was trying to figure out why there were so few male victims in the Israeli bombing in Qana on Sunday that killed at least 56 Lebanese civilians, mostly women and children seeking shelter.

I was perplexed. I wanted to find out, why were there no men? Were these the wives and families of Hezbollah fighters who were left behind? Or were they poor people who couldnít leave? Who were the civilians killed in this building?

This is in many ways a Hezbollah town. The neighbors of the building that was destroyed are all Hezbollah supporters ó you could see posters of Sheik Hassan Nasrallah in some of the homes that we poked our heads into.

It seems that the people who were taking shelter in this building were women, children and some old handicapped men who were all very poor and who didnít have enough money to leave. Hezbollah has a social network and they were bringing them food and taking care of them.
There were some Hezbollah members living in a house next door, but I didnít see any evidence that they had been using this area specifically to launch rockets. It is very possible, but I didnít see any evidence.

The Hezbollah members we spoke to said most of their families have already been moved out of the area and that they were taking care of these people who were just very poor.

Precise information
They seemed well informed. They were getting news updates from radio, TV and over their walkie-talkies. They had very precise information about where there had been airstrikes and where there hadnít.

Overall, the impression I got on Monday was that this was a break to get the last of the trapped civilians out before the fighting can intensify. Then there will be an assumption on both sides that once the civilians are out, the gloves can come off.

I didnít see them making any bombs or any preparations like that, but I wouldnít be surprised if that was going on behind closed doors. It was clear, though, that there was more Hezbollah movement and visibility than I had seen on any previous day down here.

The lull also has been an opportunity for emergency workers and supplies to access some of these towns that have been cut off.
The roads were crowded with traffic in both directions. There were people packing up and leaving, as well as people who had left their villages before who were going back to pick things up they had left behind. There was a real sense that this was an opportunity to move around because the roads have been so dangerous.

Staying put
After Monday, I would be surprised if there will be any people still living in Qana other than a few young men. But, the young men kept saying, ďWe have to stay here. We are not going to make the same mistake as the Palestinians made,Ē referring to the Palestinians in 1948 who largely left their land when Israel come into being.

Thatís the way they view this conflict. That if they donít stay in their homes they will be forced to become refugees. Itís seen in real apocalyptic terms like that.

Some interesting insights. It explains a couple of reasons why people are still in the area after Israeli warnings of bombs.

a) Some of them are fighters

b) Some of them are the sick, the poor, and the crippled or ill

c) Some of them refuse to leave because they don't want to lose their land the way Palestinian now-refugees did.

kiwifan
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:04 PM
c) Some of them refuse to leave because they don't want to lose their land the way Palestinian now-refugees did.

Great Point. :worship:

First time I've heard that "angle" mentioned anywhere. :cool:

I guess if you (Volcana :devil: ) post and post and post and post and post...

...eventually you come up with a thought provoking perspective. :lol:

SelesFan70
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:52 PM

...eventually you come up with a thought provoking perspective. :lol:

:o :tape:

wta_zuperfann
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:10 PM
Reporter Engel at first says that he does not have actual proof that these are Hezbollah troops. But then he says they are so because they drive BMW's and Mercedes Benz cars and are young. Hmmm ... "terrorists" usually travel in military convoys, wear uniforms, and carry weaponry rather than high tech radios for their entertainment. Why they would choose to dress conspicuously and go around unarmed with armed Israeli troops around is beyond all reason. Moreover, Hezbollah are Orthodox Shiia Muslims and disdain Western attire whereas Engel describes them as wearing jeans. They also disdain ostentatious Western materialism such as pricey cars as view them as examples of decadence.

Sounds like another planted reich wing story with no credibility. But, I suppose, the reich wingers will believe anything.

wta_zuperfann
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmm, no further reply. Well, I suppose this means that nobody here is dumb enough to believe that unarmed youths in ostentatious Western attire or autos would subscribe to Orthodox Shiia Islam or be aligned with a group such as Hezbollah.

Oh well. The pro-war types will plant another phony story soon enough.

My thanks to Volcana for showing how those phonies never let up in their propaganda campaign of endless lies.

Volcana
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
Reporter Engel at first says that he does not have actual proof that these are Hezbollah troops. But then he says they are so because they drive BMW's and Mercedes Benz cars and are young.No he did NOT say that. YOU said that, which mostly proves that reading isn't amongst your skills.

What the AUTHOR wrote was

a) the way they behave,
b) their age group
c) their body language.
d) they are basically the only young men in this city.

Sure they mentioned cars later, and even that is interesting.

[quote]
more young men with slight beards, short haircuts, tee-shirts and jeans driving around with radios and late model Mercedes and BMWs.
e) radios
f) 'late model Mercedes and BMWs'

Those cost money. Where do they get it?

Hmmm ... "terrorists" usually travel in military convoys, wear uniforms, and carry weaponry rather than high tech radios for their entertainment.How interesting. And exactly why are you an expert on what terrorists 'usually' do? SMART terrorists would AVOID travelling in military convoysm or wearing uniforms. Of course, its YOU who says they were wearing 'uniforms', not the author.
Why they would choose to dress conspicuously

'slight beards, short haircuts, tee-shirts and jeans'

and go around unarmed with armed Israeli troops around is beyond all reason.This is during the 48 hour hiatus inthe bombing. There ARE no Israel troops around.

Moreover, Hezbollah are Orthodox Shiia Muslims and disdain Western attire whereas Engel describes them as wearing jeans. They also disdain ostentatious Western materialism such as pricey cars as view them as examples of decadence.
Forgive me, but nothing you've written so far makes you seem like anyone who in a position to know the people who become Hezbollah fighters.

They have fertile ground to get fighters from based solely on the relatives of those the Israelis have killed. Religious orientation need have nothing to do with it.

I suppose it would make some people feel better to hope it all a fabrication. After all, it's gotta be a lot better, han having to accept Hezbollah actual knows what their doing. And provides services to the poor.

wta_zuperfann
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Religious orientation need have nothing to do with it.
I suppose it would make some people feel better to hope it all a fabrication. After all, it's gotta be a lot better, han having to accept Hezbollah actual knows what their doing. And provides services to the poor.

Actually, that was my point. It does provide services to the poor in a manner consistent with Shiia doctrine --- the pics I've seen from BBC show them in trucks or other large vehicles but not in BMW's which are not very practical for the purposes of carrying food stuffs or medical supplies.

Volcana
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Great Point. :worship:

First time I've heard that "angle" mentioned anywhere. :cool:

...eventually you come up with a thought provoking perspective. :lol:If everyone feels that way, then it's an effective approach. :)

The 'human shield' issue is the only thing that protects Israel from war crimes charges, so naturally, it will be strongly defended. However, at this point they're bombing bridges and highways in Christians areas, which certainly can't be argued to be defensive actions.