PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova world's highest paid tennis star

23TwentyThree23
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:57 PM
Just saw that Maria is 4th on the list of high-earning international sports stars...ahead even of federer and the only woman in the top 20. Guess her marketability really does pay dividends! well done, masha!

Kenny
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry, I don't know how she gets paid more than Federer.. if she does that's just incredibly unjust and very SAD. She hasn't had anywhere near the results he's had.

miranda_lou
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
She hasn't had anywhere near the results he's had.

Results don't matter.:rolleyes: Maria is a commercial success and Roger is not, mainly because he appears to most fans to be boring. Maria is blond and, to some, beautiful. (I think she is quite unattractive but then, I'm a woman with good taste.):lol:

Maria is not the "highest paid" tennis star. Andre Agassi is the highest paid tennis star with Maria the highest paid international star (meaning, non-American).:rolleyes:

meyerpl
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:43 PM
I saw an article in SI about a year ago that put Maria in the $23 million per range and Agassi in the $45 million per year range. Not too shabby for either of them.

Gerri
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:53 PM
Sorry, I don't know how she gets paid more than Federer.. if she does that's just incredibly unjust and very SAD. She hasn't had anywhere near the results he's had.

What have her results got to do with anything? She's got a look/personality that sells and good luck to her. Nothing sad about that, not for her anyway :lol:

ezekiel
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:55 PM
proof that marketers are blind and just wishy washy

furrykitten
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:58 PM
I don't understand why people get upset that Maria is the highest paid?, does it really matter to any of us?. All the top tennis stars are mega rich, Maria just uses the gifts she was born with to maximum effect :)

ezekiel
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:59 PM
What have her results got to do with anything? She's got a look/personality that sells and good luck to her. Nothing sad about that, not for her anyway :lol:

She is severely lacking in looks , personality and smarts but yet marketers were simply looking for a Kournikova clone who can play and voila , you have a sharapova

Kenny
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:31 PM

I know the results don't matter, but they should. I'm not going to argue about this.

Paul.
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I don't understand why people get upset that Maria is the highest paid?, does it really matter to any of us?. All the top tennis stars are mega rich, Maria just uses the gifts she was born with to maximum effect :)

i agree. we live in a world where looks mean a lot in the media industry so its to be expected

vwfan
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
I don't understand why people get upset that Maria is the highest paid?, does it really matter to any of us?. All the top tennis stars are mega rich, Maria just uses the gifts she was born with to maximum effect :)well, some just hold on to the illusion that there remains a bit of meritocracy in the world.

really, it has never existed. all kinds of people are unjustifiably privileged and it has nothing to do with smarts or hard work. the examples are too numerous to name.

everytime there is a real obvious example staring us in the face that merit and hard work does not=success, people are reminded that the world just isn't fair! and it isn't. ask all the starving children who were born into poverty.

The_Pov
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:53 PM
OMG people need to get over themselves who cares if Maria is getting more than Federer because of her looks.

Who in their right mind can say that they would turn down such money if it was just because of her looks.

And talent and results must have something to do with it, because then other "attractive" players (Ana? Daniela? Nicole?) would be earning the same as Maria!

And I know it's not fair but boohoo. Britney Spears has made herself over $100,000,000 with no talent at all. Life's nto fair!

mashamaniac
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:02 PM
i'm sure she really deserves to be paid more than all! her pure commercial talent adds up more success to the tennis and if u've notised since she won wimbly at 2004 the women's tennis has changed totally and maybe more than 30% of increasing fans has proved it.
if she did not deserve it certainly companies such as canon,motorola,land rover ,nike and so many others would never have come up to her,believe me! :)

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Agassi gets paid more :ras:

bellascarlett
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
:lol: at this thread...same story everytime...

Maria has been really blessed. More power to her. :)

Andy.
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Gosh some of you are just chewing on sour grapes, get over it.

Morrissey
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:15 PM
I think people like Sharapova and Michelle Wie demonstrate that we still live in a misogynst and anti woman society. A woman can't just be an athlete that trains hard and tries her best to maximize her potential in sport. A female athlete unfortunately has to conform to compulsory heterosexuality and try to APPEAL TO SEXIST MEN. You see men run the sports world and the sports media. Since Men are MISOGYNST men dicitate what gets broadcast on TV, what is written in the newspapers. There is nothing special about Sharapova she has a bad attitude, she's not that great a player, and yet she makes more money than all the other female athletes in the world.
I mean people like Maria Muttola of Mozambique and Cathy Freeman of Australia are a great example of women athletes that have made a DIFFERENCE in SPORT. However, those two aren't white women they are women of colour so they don't get all the money that say a white woman athlete would like Sharapova. Sharapova is supposed to be considered the all "white" it girl with her long blonde hair and legs. However, the tennis results don't justify the money. Tennis is always like this whenever a new white girl comes along that is considered "attractive" the media hype her up. First it was Chris Evert, then Tracy Austin, next came Sabatini, Kournkova and now Sharapova. Sharapova needs to realize there will be someone younger and better looking come along and the media will forget her.

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:17 PM
So, she is bashed by some of you for being the highest paid tennis star? :o

The_Pov
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:24 PM
I think people like Sharapova and Michelle Wie demonstrate that we still live in a misogynst and anti woman society. A woman can't just be an athlete that trains hard and tries her best to maximize her potential in sport. A female athlete unfortunately has to conform to compulsory heterosexuality and try to APPEAL TO SEXIST MEN. You see men run the sports world and the sports media. Since Men are MISOGYNST men dicitate what gets broadcast on TV, what is written in the newspapers. There is nothing special about Sharapova she has a bad attitude, she's not that great a player, and yet she makes more money than all the other female athletes in the world.
I mean people like Maria Muttola of Mozambique and Cathy Freeman of Australia are a great example of women athletes that have made a DIFFERENCE in SPORT. However, those two aren't white women they are women of colour so they don't get all the money that say a white woman athlete would like Sharapova. Sharapova is supposed to be considered the all "white" it girl with her long blonde hair and legs. However, the tennis results don't justify the money. Tennis is always like this whenever a new white girl comes along that is considered "attractive" the media hype her up. First it was Chris Evert, then Tracy Austin, next came Sabatini, Kournkova and now Sharapova. Sharapova needs to realize there will be someone younger and better looking come along and the media will forget her.

That'll probably be little Daria Sharapova when she grows up, and I doubt Maria will mind that much if her little cousin gets a bit more media attention

dreamgoddess099
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry, I don't know how she gets paid more than Federer She's based in America, and has an image that certain American marketers value. There is a lot of money and oppurtunity in America, that's why so many people from around the world come here, Maria included. If you have a look that they can use their smoke and mirrors on to sale to the "masses who matter", you are basically money in the bank. Roger's problem is that he's not American and dominates the wrong sport. I mean there are American male athletes who have never done anything remotely on the scale of Roger in their sports, but they make considerably more money than him.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:35 PM
i DOUBT she gets paid more than federer...

Dasha_
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:57 PM
Results don't matter.:rolleyes: Maria is a commercial success and Roger is not, mainly because he appears to most fans to be boring. Maria is blond and, to some, beautiful. (I think she is quite unattractive but then, I'm a woman with good taste.):lol:

Maria is not the "highest paid" tennis star. Andre Agassi is the highest paid tennis star with Maria the highest paid international star (meaning, non-American).:rolleyes:

Yes. Rolex agrees with you. :rolleyes:

Sidneygod
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:58 PM
Agassi used to get paid more but not anymore.

According to the list

Sharapova gets 25.4 million per year
Agassi gets 24 million per year
Federer gets 22 million per year

Agassi's will fall, but Sharapova's and Federer's will rise in the next few years

Il Primo!
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Agassi used to get paid more but not anymore.

According to the list

Sharapova gets 25.4 million per year
Agassi gets 24 million per year
Federer gets 22 million per year

Agassi's will fall, but Sharapova's and Federer's will rise in the next few years

How could Roger rise in the next fex years? He definitely can't go higher than he is.

franny
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=vwfan]well, some just hold on to the illusion that there remains a bit of meritocracy in the world.

really, it has never existed. all kinds of people are unjustifiably privileged and it has nothing to do with smarts or hard work. the examples are too numerous to name.

everytime there is a real obvious example staring us in the face that merit and hard work does not=success, people are reminded that the world just isn't fair! and it isn't. ask all the starving children who were born into poverty.[/QUOTE

Oh no doubt this world is unfair. But that's life. You work hard for yourself and those around you and you try to make the best out of things. However, I would not call what Sharapova has unfair. She has worked hard her whole life for this. It's not like she's a Paris Hilton where she was born into riches. Her family suffered plenty to get to where they are right now. She's trained her entire life and has given up her entire childhood and teen years to be a star. It's not as if her success was given to her. Sure, there are better tennis players, but that does not mean that Sharapova does not deserve what she makes. Better tennis players will make more money playing tennis. That is why Federer or Henin-Hardenne or Mauresmo have made greater prize money than she has. But she outgrosses them in commercials and endorsements, because these are the things she does better.

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:02 AM
How could Roger rise in the next fex years? He definitely can't go higher than he is.

It rose alot from last year, he doubled his annual earnings so i expect it too either stay the same or rise a little bit in the next few years. Just a general sequence.

btw, Maria gets $23.5 million per year on endorsements alone :worship:

Il Primo!
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:04 AM
It rose alot from last year, he doubled his annual earnings so i expect it too either stay the same or rise a little bit in the next few years. Just a general sequence.

btw, Maria gets $23.5 million per year on endorsements alone :worship:

OK, wait and see :)

slydevil6142
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:07 AM
I wont hate the player ..... but do I THINK ITS FAIR???..... maybe not ..... but what can you do. Im sure Maria is focusing on her results b/c Im sure shes tired of losing in the semis to the eventual winner.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Well, Maria is the biggest tennis star now, accept it or not, fair or unjust!!!

For me, i dont care coz I will pay to watch lindsay first if you ask me.

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Do I think its fair? Yes its fair.

If a company is willing to pay Maria big bucks for her to help them advertise, and she accepts it then she deserves it.

Federe gets endorsements as well, he ets 22 million a year. About 7 million is prize money so where does the other 15m come from? Its just Maria gets more, she may not be a better player than Federer but she probably is a better at marketing

dreamgoddess099
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
I think people like Sharapova and Michelle Wie demonstrate that we still live in a misogynst and anti woman society. A woman can't just be an athlete that trains hard and tries her best to maximize her potential in sport. A female athlete unfortunately has to conform to compulsory heterosexuality and try to APPEAL TO SEXIST MEN.While I understand where you are coming from, women in sports aren't forced to conform to or appeal to men. They chose to. The male athletes give the illusions that they are priceless, while the female athletes walk around with pricetags on there foreheads wondering why nobody ups the bid.

Sharapova needs to realize there will be someone younger and better looking come along and the media will forget her.Oh I'd be willing to bet your house that she above all knows that. That's why she's taken on so many endorsements. But she's smart to get as much money as she can while it lasts.

Dawn Marie
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Tennis is about money. Maria will make the most money. Sex sells and tennis is a masogynist sport. The men who endorse her and put out the BIG BUCKS want to see a blonde white skinned chic with some/Little bit of none tits and ass. She is like that show from MTV. "MADE". MAKE ME INTO A SEX SELLING TENNIS ENDORSEE.

Like the Spice Girls. Average voices and stupid sillydance moves. Nothing original. Make a few women shake some ass and call them different adjectives. like SPORTY,SCARY,SEXY,BABY and VOILA. EASY MONEY off of ass.

At least Masha won first which I'm sure she learned from Anna K. Also Masha has more taste and maturity. Anna came out all hoochie when she was 13. Not cool. Maria doesn't come off as a child star sleaze like Anna did.

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:19 AM
She is severely lacking in looks , personality and smarts but yet marketers were simply looking for a Kournikova clone who can play and voila , you have a sharapova
Once again your opininion isnt necessarily held by the other 5 billion people on the Earth

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:20 AM
Tennis is about money. Maria will make the most money. Sex sells and tennis is a masogynist sport. The men who endorse her and put out the BIG BUCKS want to see a blonde white skinned chic with some/Little bit of none tits and ass. She is like that show from MTV. "MADE". MAKE ME INTO A SEX SELLING TENNIS ENDORSEE.

Like the Spice Girls. Average voices and stupid sillydance moves. Nothing original. Make a few women shake some ass and call them different adjectives. like SPORTY,SCARY,SEXY,BABY and VOILA. EASY MONEY off of ass.

At least Masha won first which I'm sure she learned from Anna K. Also Masha has more taste and maturity. Anna came out all hoochie when she was 13. Not cool. Maria doesn't come off as a child star sleaze like Anna did.
:yawn:
you should write a book

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:25 AM
Oh god. :o
This is being looked into far too much. Im sure Maria doesnt really care who are when someone else comes along and makes the media forget her...after the attention she has had to get used to then it will probably be far from a problem for her.

LUIS9
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:35 AM
I guess she's making everyone of her shots a power shot with the big marketers. :lol:

Good for her plus it somehow keeps tennis in the know.

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=vwfan]well, some just hold on to the illusion that there remains a bit of meritocracy in the world.

everytime there is a real obvious example staring us in the face that merit and hard work does not=success, people are reminded that the world just isn't fair! and it isn't. ask all the starving children who were born into poverty.[/QUOTE

Oh no doubt this world is unfair. But that's life. You work hard for yourself and those around you and you try to make the best out of things. However, I would not call what Sharapova has unfair. She has worked hard her whole life for this. It's not like she's a Paris Hilton where she was born into riches. Her family suffered plenty to get to where they are right now. She's trained her entire life and has given up her entire childhood and teen years to be a star. It's not as if her success was given to her. Sure, there are better tennis players, but that does not mean that Sharapova does not deserve what she makes. Better tennis players will make more money playing tennis. That is why Federer or Henin-Hardenne or Mauresmo have made greater prize money than she has. But she outgrosses them in commercials and endorsements, because these are the things she does better.what exactly are these things that she does better: pose for the camera?

every elite tennis player worked hard most of their lives. maria is no exception. they all gave up ordinary lives to work hours on the tennis courts perfecting their game.

serena, venus, martina, davenport, justine, mauresmo, pierce are all multiple slam winners. they worked hard and achieved more!

and kim though not a multiple slam holder has by far a more impressive record.

maria is not to be blamed; she didn't create the circumstances that make her paid unfairly when compared to the rest of her peers. and she did much better than anna, who outside of her doubles titles never won a title while on tour.

there is now research attempting to quantify "white skin" advantage in economic terms. maria epitomizes that privilege.

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:47 PM
what exactly are these things that she does better: pose for the camera?

She's young and has won a Grand Slam. People obviously see a lot of potential in her. Compared to players her own age she is light years ahead and far more talented.

What does she currently do better than the current top players? She is a better business woman. I mean this thread is about money and she gets over 90% of her money through sponsors so she is obviously incredibly good at marketing herself.

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
She's young and has won a Grand Slam. People obviously see a lot of potential in her. Compared to players her own age she is light years ahead and far more talented.

What does she currently do better than the current top players? She is a better business woman. I mean this thread is about money and she gets over 90% of her money through sponsors so she is obviously incredibly good at marketing herself.well, the poster admitted that she doesn't do anything on the tennis court better than roger, so the first part of your response is not very persuasive.

the second, which says that she is a better businesswoman or knows how to market herself better is also dubious. most tennis players hire agents. she hired IMG, who also markets for other tennis players. she's not hitting the pavements going door to door selling her "wares."

c'mon, you can say that she is benefiting from sexist, racist, marketing machines that promote her image to sell any and everything she'll agree to. it's ok. the world won't end.

let's just not pretend here in the real world that the fruits of her marketing success have anything to do with business acumen.

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
"she is benefiting from sexist, racist, marketing machines"

Thats a lot bullshit. She gets the big bucks cos companies are willing to pay her in order for her to help the company. Its a business. Reason companies want her is cos she has a LOT of POTENTIAL and has already shown some of the potential by winning wimbledon and showing consistency to get to number 1. She is also very pretty and young which companies like and hence she gets the money. She deserves it as well. period.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Just saw that Maria is 4th on the list of high-earning international sports stars...ahead even of federer and the only woman in the top 20. Guess her marketability really does pay dividends! well done, masha!

That is incorrect. Andre Agassi is the highest paid tennis athlete on the planet. SI released their list last week. $23 million in endorsements alone.

rjd1111
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM
i'm sure she really deserves to be paid more than all! her pure commercial talent adds up more success to the tennis and if u've notised since she won wimbly at 2004 the women's tennis has changed totally and maybe more than 30% of increasing fans has proved it.
if she did not deserve it certainly companies such as canon,motorola,land rover ,nike and so many others would never have come up to her,believe me! :)

She is not talented. She just had a Good day Back in 04'

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM
That is incorrect. Andre Agassi is the highest paid tennis athlete on the planet. SI released their list last week. $23 million in endorsements alone.

No if you look at the list, Maria earn't 25.4 million a year and Agassi earn't 24.6 million a year

Maria earn't 23.5 million on endorsements alone.

Agassi WAS the highest paid in previous years but not anymore

Agassi : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/index.2.html

Maria: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/index.20.html

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM
She is not talented. She just had a Good day Back in 04'
:o
pretty good days work to keep her in the top 5 ever since

TonyP
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
Right now, I sincerely doubt that Andre Agassi is making more money than Maria Sharapova. At any rate, none of this has anything to do with tennis accomplishments. People are not buying cameras or wristwatches or perfume based on the number of grand slam singles titles the celebrity spokesperson has won. Commercial endorsement deals are based on a combination of factors, including reputation, but also looks, charisma and overall image. Sharapova is doing fine in all those categories.

But for those with memories going back more than just a couple of years, Agassi was once in far worse shape than Sharapova. He had fallen far, far down in the rankings, but his Canon camera commercials were flooding the TV airwaves, giving people uninformed about tennis the idea that he was still on top. Sharapova at least remains in the top ten and is having a respectable year, having won at least one big tournament so far.

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:16 PM
"she is benefiting from sexist, racist, marketing machines"

Thats a lot bullshit. She gets the big bucks cos companies are willing to pay her in order for her to help the company. Its a business. Reason companies want her is cos she has a LOT of POTENTIAL and has already shown some of the potential by winning wimbledon and showing consistency to get to number 1. She is also very pretty and young which companies like and hence she gets the money. She deserves it as well. period.ok. ok.

we just disagree: they don't pay her because she has "a lot of potential" they pay her because she has "the look" that they believe will sell their products.

but here's where where we do agree: that it is business. . .

because there is nothing maria has done or has (besides her looks) that justifies her getting paid more than other tennis players who are many times more accomplished than she is.

my point is that that "business" is racist and sexist in that it rewards looks for women over accomplishments and long-legged blonde girls over everyone else. ;)

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Business is not sexiest or racist, thats just your opinion.

Business is about money and whoever generates more money gets more money.

rjd1111
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM
:o
pretty good days work to keep her in the top 5 ever since

With no slams and Plenty of Cupcake draws

Gerri
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
my point is that that "business" is racist and sexist in that it rewards looks for women over accomplishments and long-legged blonde girls over everyone else. ;)

That's probably true to some extent, but I should think Federer would also earn a lot more if he looked like David Beckham. "Business" is 'lookist' as much as anything else.

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
That's probably true to some extent, but I should think Federer would also earn a lot more if he looked like David Beckham. "Business" is 'lookist' as much as anything else.Well Rafa has the "looks" and more slams than Maria and more important titles, so. . .why isn't he paid as much or more than Maria?

all rafa needs to do is find out how to get some blonde hair and long legs rather than worrying about his grass court game

and he'll be running to be the bank too. :lol:

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Business is not sexiest or racist, thats just your opinion.

Business is about money and whoever generates more money gets more money. :lol: Not!

The Williams sisters create more opportunities for advertising than any other tennis players. Their appearance in grand slam finals always top the ratings chart, surpassing the men's. Their appearance in the doubles finals got better tv ratings than did the men's final on the same day one year.

We live in a racist, sexist world, why would business decisions not reflect that. :confused:

Sidneygod
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:48 PM
:lol: Not!

The Williams sisters create more opportunities for advertising than any other tennis players. Their appearance in grand slam finals always top the ratings chart, surpassing the men's. Their appearance in the doubles finals got better tv ratings than did the men's final on the same day one year.

We live in a racist, sexist world, why would business decisions not reflect that. :confused:

In America only, not worldwide. Maria generates interest and money worldwide. Maria generates more money hence she gets paid more. Its simple business.

I take it when you mean racist is cos the world has something against black people? Ok, then why is Tiger woods the highest paid in the world and Michael Jordan such an icon?

Gerri
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Well Rafa has the "looks" and more slams than Maria and more important titles, so. . .why isn't he paid as much or more than Maria?

all rafa needs to do is find out how to get some blonde hair and long legs rather than worrying about his grass court game

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just think Federer's appeal to sponsors would also be even greater if he was goodlooking. Anyway Nadal's got long legs already he just needs to bleach his long tresses :lol:

Dan23
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
With no slams and Plenty of Cupcake draws
:lol: :baby:
Maria really should let out the secret on how she gets these 'cupcakes' seeing as shes the only one getting them.

mila_mail
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM
how about williams?`

goldenlox
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Anna recently said that all the numbers about her were overstated.
These numbers are meaningless.
SI doesn't have a clue what the real numbers are

crazillo
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM
'Well I am not surprised about that quite honestly... ;)

Chrysanthemum
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah..after kournikova retired, people starting to look for her substitute and masha was on the spotlight when she won that lucky wimbledon title in 2004. So i think its pretty fair that masha earn her money becoz, she came in the rite time and the rite moment.

For me, she has an average look, her body is great (shes an athlete, helloooww), overall, shes just a typicall european girl. What make her special is that she's annaK clone and she screamed.

The_Pov
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Well Rafa has the "looks" and more slams than Maria and more important titles, so. . .why isn't he paid as much or more than Maria?

Puh-lease what red blooded male will buy a product endorsed by chimp boy with an odd sized arms.

With Beckham, he's hot and is what a lot of men (mainly British men) want to be, he's footballer (I assure you not many men would put tennis down as their dream sport) , he's rich and he's got a popstar wife. When people buy his products they think they will be more like him when they use them. Rafa doesn't have that potential.

And of course results matter with Maria, she's was origionally marketed as the new improved version of Anna who can actually play tennis! And as I said before if results didn't count, Ana, Dani and Nicole would all be earning the same as Maria.

morningglory
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:03 PM
no surprises here :)
Congratz Maria!
And also the highest paid woman athlete too :yeah:

TonyP
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
The anger SOME Williams fans express towards Sharapova is just remarkable. Is the fact that she is making (according to some sources) more money off the court than Venus and Serena proof it is a racist world?

Once again, commercial endorsements have nothing to do with success on court, if it did, then Graf and Navratilova would dwarf anything the Williams sisters have earned put together. And Margaret Court would beat all of them.

Anyway, if it is such a racist world, why is Tiger Woods still the highest earner in sports, ahead of everyone, even Michael Schumacher, who is even more successful in a sport which worldwide draws bigger TV audiences than probably tennis and golf put together. Schumacher is the most successful racing driver in history, having won seven world championships, five of them in a row.

Yet his approximately $60 million a year is less than what Tiger earns and he has been spotty for the last two years.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM

When Serena was the best player in the world, she was highest paid woman athlete in the sport. Where is the racism there? Even during periods when she wasn't the best, she was the highest paid, which should cause some eyebrows to be raised.

Why should Serena and Venus be the highest paid athlete in women's sports when their ranking doesn't reflect being one of the best??? Consider their frequent absence from the sport since 2003, and you might figure out why they haven't been able to maximize their endorsement potential.

Since Maria's first grand slam win, she's stayed close to the top of the sport and has had great grand slam showings. No dramatic drop in rankings. She deserves every accolade she gets.

.ivy.
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM
...And this is supposed to be surprising?

If we lived in a fantasy world where everyone got what they were worth, I can tell you that tennis players wouldn't be making millions over doctors. :shrug:

meyerpl
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM

Business, via advertising, serves-up what people want. Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods & Michael Jordan, in addition to being athletes, are beautiful people. If people wanted turds on a plate, that's what advertisers would give them.

People like to look at beautiful people, and long legged blonds are especially popular. If that's racist and/or sexist, it's more of a reflection of society than business. Business is mercenary; they'd feature Hitler in an advertisement if they knew it would sell the product.

sunset
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
:lol: at this thread...same story everytime...

Maria has been really blessed. More power to her. :)

You hit the nail right on the head, she is the best and most beautiful. :bounce:

meyerpl
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
You hit the nail right on the head, she is the best and most beautiful. :bounce:
I don't know about that, but I don't fault her for one penny she's earned. If somebody want's to pay her $6 million dollars for one or two days of her time, why the hell not?

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Well I hope not by American companies... becuase she is number 8 on the most popular female atheletes in America. hehehe :p :devil:

miranda_lou
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
These are all ESTIMATES, you know, by people who really have no idea how much these athletes earn per year.:rolleyes: The estimates are based on: (1) salary; and (2) estimates of endorsements.

Salary earned is easy because, when a baseball, basketball or football player signs a contract, it's public record or when a tennis player wins a tournament, we all know what he/she gets. The endorsement money is altogether different. If a player signs a "million dollar endorsement deal" that doesn't always mean they actually get a million dollars. The amount of money is, most of the time, based on performance. Serena signed a "multi-million dollar" deal with Nike but it's a sure bet she has not received that amount of money from Nike because she is now out of the top 100.:o Same for Maria . . . many of her endorsements are likely based on her winning Slams, which she has not done in quite a while.

Still, Maria earns a lot of money and will earn a lot more in her career. Agassi's career will be over soon.:sad: However, he has "lifetime" contracts with adidas, Head and Penn, plus he and Steffi (and Steffi by herself) are cleaning up in Europe.:) I doubt those monies are being counted by SI.

Besides all that, who would trust a sport magazine to tell anybody about money? I'll wait for the Forbes list to come out. Then we'll get the REAL scoop.:lol:

By the way, hating on Maria won't make her stop getting money for just being blond. As Martina Nav. said about Anna K., "What's she suppose to do, turn them down.":lol: You all know you wouldn't turn down money if it were offered to you and you didn't have to do anything illegal.:kiss:

Carmen Mairena
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
It's very sad. Wasted money... :retard: And millions of people dying because of lack of resources... :retard:

Maria :retard:

System :retard:

T-GIRL87
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM
I know that pova is not at fault in terms of her racking up a bundle load of endorsement deals and commercials. She is perceived by the the establishment as being the perfect formula to generate attention and greater viewership for the WTA. But what bothers me is the fact that they aren't allowing her to prove herself yet. They've betowed all this praise and expectation onto her for winning wimbledon, which is quite understandable, but inevitably people are bound to grow tired and sick of the constant hype machine and praise by her not living up to what they make her out to be. Of course she is capable Of claiming more GS. But Why are they trying to create this "great" champion out of her, rather than letting us wait and see what happens for ourselves. Also, whos going to root for someone making 25mi a year, when they can always root for the underdog. The problem is, in winning wimby she was the underdog at the time, now with all hype thrown her way, people will be prone to root for the person shes playing against.

Carmen Mairena
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
We already had Kournikova, the only player NOT to win a tournament but earning too much money... :retard:

Now we have to stand Shutupova... She is indeed a better player than P... oops Kournikova, but still overhyped and IMO another useless blonde-power-player-without-brains... :rolleyes:

jacobruiz
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
I know that pova is not at fault in terms of her racking up a bundle load of endorsement deals and commercials. She is perceived by the the establishment as being the perfect formula to generate attention and greater viewership for the WTA. But what bothers me is the fact that they aren't allowing her to prove herself yet. They've betowed all this praise and expectation onto her for winning wimbledon, which is quite understandable, but inevitably people are bound to grow tired and sick of the constant hype machine and praise by her not living up to what they make her out to be. Of course she is capable Of claiming more GS. But Why are they trying to create this "great" champion out of her, rather than letting us wait and see what happens for ourselves. Also, whos going to root for someone making 25mi a year, when they can always root for the underdog. The problem is, in winning wimby she was the underdog at the time, now with all hype thrown her way, people will be prone to root for the person shes playing against.

Maria has been number 1 in the world, consistently top 4, won a tier I in March, grand slam, YEC, etc. At 19, I'd say she's doing pretty well.

As to who would root for her, her (MANY) fans, no doubt!:lol: