PDA

View Full Version : i just bought my first tennis raquet

northern lad
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:01 PM
i'm now training to beat roger federer... and i'm my own coach.

Viktymise
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:03 PM
Good Luck :yeah: what racquet is it

northern lad
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Good Luck :yeah: what racquet is it
uhh... it's a Prince turbo beast. there were no sales people around to advise me as to what to get, so i got the pretty green one on sale :dance:

K-Dog
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
that means the racquet isn't for players above like the 2.0 level. ouch.

Marcus Jordan
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM
i'm now training to beat roger federer... and i'm my own coach.

How big is it?

Outlander
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Well he did 'just start playing'

northern lad
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:19 PM
How big is it?
oversize?

i was completely clueless in picking one out.

i've literally played maybe 6 or 7 times ever. hence the 'in training'

i made a drop shot the last time i played. most likely completely by accident. :p

Dasha_
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:26 PM
Congratulations!! Good Luck!!!

miffedmax
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM
Turbo Beast was probably a good choice. I've always leaned toward Princes. Of course, I also have a 4-28 record over the last year!

northern lad
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Turbo Beast was probably a good choice. I've always leaned toward Princes. Of course, I also have a 4-28 record over the last year!
thanks for that bit of encouragement :lol:

Just Do It
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:36 PM
hehe i have a prince too.... good luck :)

franny
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Good luck with your training! My best advice to anyone who is just starting to play is PATIENCE. You can't expect to get good overnight. Tennis really is a very demanding sport to learn and to expert. Even most pros have a lot of flaws in their games. Just take it a shot at a time and gradually you'll see improvement.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have the Prince O3 White. :)

Just remember to have fun and work hard! :yeah:

Nicjac
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Well, don't you buy the gear your fav plays with? They spend millions on commercials and you just buy it because it is ... green?

Oh well, I started with Prince (good deal) and changed to Wilson for some obvious fan-related issues - but the orange just sucked me in, so I got another one than the one I set out for ;)

Outlander
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM
My best advice is get a set of personalized lessons from a USPTA coach (assuming you are in the States; your Flag says so)

I'd say twice a week for 6 to 8 weeks. Your game will take quantam leaps in development.

germex
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:44 PM
Good luck! I think that everytime you play, you will find it is more fun. My advise would be to enjoy, and buy s few mags, to learn a few things about the game and about the gear, so next time you buy the best "green" racket available. ;)

controlfreak
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:57 PM
I think it's great that you bought the green racquet. What with global warming and all, it's about time we started boycotting those awful carbon-producing ozone-destroying nanotube silicone chip fat racquets. Don't they say that every time Amelie Mauresmo hits a forehand, another child in Africa dies due to the pollutination of toxic fumes? We should all switch to hybrid racquets and stop eating so many bananas before the ranforest is destroyed!

j_dementieva27
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:04 PM
just find someone that is better than you that is willing to take the time and has the patience to hit to you

i pretty much taught a friend of mine how to play tennis... he had only played a few times, but he really wanted to learn how to play... he has good hand-eye coordination and he's an excellent ping pong player

now, i've been playing since i was 10, so i've got a pretty good idea how to play tennis... i'm no great player, but i can play, i can hit with different spins and with pace

he went from only being able to hit a forehand to me, to being able to rally with me after about 3 months of playing at least once-three times a week

he even took a set from me, 7-6, but he couldn't hang in the long run, and i waxed him 6-1, 6-0 in the second and third

just proves if you're determined and you've got the resources, you can make yourself into a pretty good player in a matter of months

northern lad
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM
I think it's great that you bought the green racquet. What with global warming and all, it's about time we started boycotting those awful carbon-producing ozone-destroying nanotube silicone chip fat racquets. Don't they say that every time Amelie Mauresmo hits a forehand, another child in Africa dies due to the pollutination of toxic fumes? We should all switch to hybrid racquets and stop eating so many bananas before the ranforest is destroyed!
no, they say that everytime Amelie Mauresmo hits a forehand, another child in Africa is adopted by a celebrity

lk89
Aug 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM
best advice for learning is just constantly play. Play people who are first below so you learn how to win. My friend was horrible and he just got progressively better by playing a lot. I have the Yonex RQS 11, it works quite well.