PDA

View Full Version : Who Said It? (Answer key included!)

Albireo
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Identify the players from the press-conference excerpts. (No, it isn't very easy, but many of them give clues away.) Some may surprise you!

Hints: all of the players have been in the Top Thirty (most have been Top Ten), and all of the quotes are from the last six years. Only one quote per player.

1) You actually saw a tattoo on my body?

2) No, any other, Sharapova, Justine, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, those are the girls that make you want to work harder, make you want to get stronger, make you want to get healthier and fitter again. That's what it's all about. You sort of pull yourself up when you see other players do well. That's what motivates you to train better, too. I think it's just -- yeah, even when I was injured last year, when I started playing again this year, you get motivated.

3) It's really difficult, yeah. I was so happy. I mean, last night he took the red eye to come here just for Labor Day weekend to see me. You know, he's got to go back to work on Tuesday. That's the way our lives go. But it's extremely difficult, but we couldn't have it any other way. I don't think we'd be together if he just quit his job and carried my bags around the tour. That's our relationship. We're both very motivated, strong-willed people. It takes a huge effort and sacrifice on both our parts to make everything work, and it's always a work in progress and a discussion and everything that goes with that.

4) Like I said two minutes ago, I felt good out there....That's for sure my biggest victory, to be healthy, being on the court. I just enjoy that so much. After that I think the result is not that much important. But I have a lot of success since I arrived here in Australia. Played a lot of matches. That's what I'm here for, get my confidence back. I think I can make conclusions at the end of a whole season. That's what I wish for in 2006, to play a whole season, then we'll see at that point where I will be and how I feel.

5) I play her so many times. I remember my first time playing in New York in Madison Square Garden, first round. When I saw the draw, I was almost like trying. I said, "Ma, I want to go home." I could beat her that time. But every time you play against her, you feel like, you know, it's quite difficult to find this kind of heavy shots because I don't have a hitting partner who can hit as good as she does.

6) I never said that. I said when the Williams sisters are in the tournament, you think, well, it's not as easy. I never said there's no chance to play against them. I actually read that. I was a little bit upset because that's not what I said. You know, I did beat Venus. You know, I'm definitely not going to be the one to say that, you know, they're impossible to beat. And I did say how long it lasts, their power, their dominance, that's a question also. I never said that. I still think even though they're 1 and 2 right now, I think a lot of players still can beat them.

7) Well, I always kind of practiced in Florida. I moved down here after Wimbledon last year. I've been in Bollettieri's for seven years, I spent like a year and a half at Evert's. Florida is kind of like my second home.

8) I try to be an artist on the court, but that sounds really cocky. I used to make those shirts. I used to have the shirts with two flags, the American Flag and the Russian Flag. It said, Save the Planet. I like to do things with my hands. I just like to sew, but I'm not very good at it, but one day I will learn.

9) You know what, my mom asked me the same question today. "How did you feel? When was the last time you actually played your first semifinals? Were you nervous? How did you feel?" I'm like, I was a youngster. It was the US Open when I played semifinals. But I played Steffi Graf there. It was a little different playing Steffi Graf than Emmanuelle Gagliardi. But it was a great event. I was like 15 or 16 at that time. After that, I really had a great career so far. No, other than that, I think first time Hamburg when I made the finals there.

10) Well, I think, you know, I've been asked that question a few times and I've always said that New York is a very busy city, it's very stressful, I guess, for me, you know. There's just a lot going on. There's a lot of cars, a lot of noise. It's just the air doesn't seem as clean as what I'm used to. Smells and pollution. Just all kinds of stuff always going on. I'm really used to just calm, you know, relax, being in, like, country or where it's, you know, not a lot going on. That's kind of things that I like, you know. And so I think in the past it was just kind of difficult for me to just play my best in this environment. And I feel that the difference this year for me is, uhm, you know, obviously with the experience and myself probably of course maturing and learning to deal with things in a different way and knowing myself better. And so just trying to find out how I can be in this city but still have that peace and the quiet and calmness that I need.

11) She calls the trainer. I mean, it's not a secret. I mean, player could be hurt. I'm not saying Mary wasn't hurt. Maybe she was hurt, you know. But you really have to stay focused in this moment and not to think if she's trying to break your rhythm or if she's really painful. You just have to play the same game as you played before.

12) How many times we can talk about this? I have no idea. I mean, come on. I don't care who's gonna be on the team because I might not be there just because the captain decide that I'm not good enough to be on the team.

13) You go first, you won (laughter). Bitch (laughter).

14) We all do a lot of charity. It's just, yeah, your own decision how much you want to help, where you want to help, if you want the public to know everything, or if you just want to donate as a silent donator. I think it's a great thing if like a sportsman or like from the music business, if they get involved and help, yeah, the needed ones.

15) And so, I don't know, maybe they were like -- I guess New Yorkers are trying to be fair. In all fairness she was only 16, so when I was 16, I think I lost in the first round to Ann Miller 6-1, 6-1. I'll never forget that....I think she had a very solid performance. She had a very solid performance. She's really young so she can definitely take this match and build from it.

Brooklyn90
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:11 PM
1. mauresmo
2. hingis

Albireo
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM
1. mauresmo
2. hingis

Nope and nope. :)

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
1. Anna K.

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:16 PM
2. Kim

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:17 PM
3. Linzi

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:18 PM
4. Martina H

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
7. Golovin :scratch:

Kart
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
9. Hingis.

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:22 PM
11. Elena D.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:25 PM
6. capriati or mauresmo?

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
11 has to be elena demetieva from last year's US Open, I remember that one clearly:)

Albireo
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
5/7 so far, tenn_ace!

I'll check back later today with answers for some that have been guessed correctly.

No cheating, guys!

Dexter
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM
14. JuJu? :shrug:

Sara81
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:28 PM
2 has to be Kim :)

komorli
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think no. 4 is Justine. :p "Like I said two minues ago...." that sounds like her.

vejh
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
1. Anna K
3.Lindz
4. JHH
5.Elena D
6. k. Clijsters
8. Sharapova
11. Elena D
12. capriati
15. Venus

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
im gonna have a random pick at them all:

1. Kournikova
2. Clijsters
3. Davenport
4. Hingis
5. Dementieva
6. Hingis
7. Golovin
8. Sharapova :lol:
9. Hingis
10. Pierce
11. Dementieva
12. Sharapova
13. Venus Williams
14. Schnyder
15. Serena Williams

Filippo-Nastya
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM
12. Anastasia Myskina

miffedmax
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:34 PM
I think it's #5, not #11 that's a Lena D-ism. I believe she was talking about playing Davenport. The giveaway is the "Ma I want to go home." Who else would complain to their mother about a draw?

Dexter
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think it's #5, not #11 that's a Lena D-ism. I believe she was talking about playing Davenport. The giveaway is the "Ma I want to go home." Who else would complain to their mother about a draw?Exactly. 5 and 11 have to Lena quotes.

saki
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM
4 is Justine and 5 is Dementieva. Not sure about the others.

wimbly
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
5 dementieva, 8 serena, 9 hingis.

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
4 is Justine

Mightymirza
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:44 PM
12 is definately sharpy!! I can hear her saying come on and kinda giggling!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:44 PM
1. Mauresmo :confused:
2. Kim for sure :D
11. Dementieva for 100% - semifinal with Pierce

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:45 PM
13. serena

dreamgoddess099
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:50 PM
15. Is Serena. I remember her mentioning that Annie Miller loss.

vejh
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:18 PM
I think 8 is actually venus instead of Shara.

Thauron
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Certain:

11. Dementieva
12. Myskina

Maybe:

2. Clijsters
4. Hingis
8. Kournikova
9. Mauresmo?
13. Capriati

lilimi
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM
4 myskina?
5 i know I read it!!!!!
9 hingis?
10 mauresmo?
11 lena d?
15 serena?

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM
5 and 11 are elena

8 is serena

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:04 PM
1) You actually saw a tattoo on my body?
Anna Kournikova

2) No, any other, Sharapova, Justine, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, those are the girls that make you want to work harder, make you want to get stronger, make you want to get healthier and fitter again. That's what it's all about. You sort of pull yourself up when you see other players do well. That's what motivates you to train better, too. I think it's just -- yeah, even when I was injured last year, when I started playing again this year, you get motivated.
kim clijsters

3) It's really difficult, yeah. I was so happy. I mean, last night he took the red eye to come here just for Labor Day weekend to see me. You know, he's got to go back to work on Tuesday. That's the way our lives go. But it's extremely difficult, but we couldn't have it any other way. I don't think we'd be together if he just quit his job and carried my bags around the tour. That's our relationship. We're both very motivated, strong-willed people. It takes a huge effort and sacrifice on both our parts to make everything work, and it's always a work in progress and a discussion and everything that goes with that.
???

4) Like I said two minutes ago, I felt good out there....That's for sure my biggest victory, to be healthy, being on the court. I just enjoy that so much. After that I think the result is not that much important. But I have a lot of success since I arrived here in Australia. Played a lot of matches. That's what I'm here for, get my confidence back. I think I can make conclusions at the end of a whole season. That's what I wish for in 2006, to play a whole season, then we'll see at that point where I will be and how I feel.
jhh

5) I play her so many times. I remember my first time playing in New York in Madison Square Garden, first round. When I saw the draw, I was almost like trying. I said, "Ma, I want to go home." I could beat her that time. But every time you play against her, you feel like, you know, it's quite difficult to find this kind of heavy shots because I don't have a hitting partner who can hit as good as she does.
????

6) I never said that. I said when the Williams sisters are in the tournament, you think, well, it's not as easy. I never said there's no chance to play against them. I actually read that. I was a little bit upset because that's not what I said. You know, I did beat Venus. You know, I'm definitely not going to be the one to say that, you know, they're impossible to beat. And I did say how long it lasts, their power, their dominance, that's a question also. I never said that. I still think even though they're 1 and 2 right now, I think a lot of players still can beat them.
dementieva ?

7) Well, I always kind of practiced in Florida. I moved down here after Wimbledon last year. I've been in Bollettieri's for seven years, I spent like a year and a half at Evert's. Florida is kind of like my second home.
golovin ?

8) I try to be an artist on the court, but that sounds really cocky. I used to make those shirts. I used to have the shirts with two flags, the American Flag and the Russian Flag. It said, Save the Planet. I like to do things with my hands. I just like to sew, but I'm not very good at it, but one day I will learn.
:tape: ???

9) You know what, my mom asked me the same question today. "How did you feel? When was the last time you actually played your first semifinals? Were you nervous? How did you feel?" I'm like, I was a youngster. It was the US Open when I played semifinals. But I played Steffi Graf there. It was a little different playing Steffi Graf than Emmanuelle Gagliardi. But it was a great event. I was like 15 or 16 at that time. After that, I really had a great career so far. No, other than that, I think first time Hamburg when I made the finals there.
???

10) Well, I think, you know, I've been asked that question a few times and I've always said that New York is a very busy city, it's very stressful, I guess, for me, you know. There's just a lot going on. There's a lot of cars, a lot of noise. It's just the air doesn't seem as clean as what I'm used to. Smells and pollution. Just all kinds of stuff always going on. I'm really used to just calm, you know, relax, being in, like, country or where it's, you know, not a lot going on. That's kind of things that I like, you know. And so I think in the past it was just kind of difficult for me to just play my best in this environment. And I feel that the difference this year for me is, uhm, you know, obviously with the experience and myself probably of course maturing and learning to deal with things in a different way and knowing myself better. And so just trying to find out how I can be in this city but still have that peace and the quiet and calmness that I need.
Mauresmo, I think :lol:

11) She calls the trainer. I mean, it's not a secret. I mean, player could be hurt. I'm not saying Mary wasn't hurt. Maybe she was hurt, you know. But you really have to stay focused in this moment and not to think if she's trying to break your rhythm or if she's really painful. You just have to play the same game as you played before.
dementieva

12) How many times we can talk about this? I have no idea. I mean, come on. I don't care who's gonna be on the team because I might not be there just because the captain decide that I'm not good enough to be on the team.
nastya

navratilova ? :lol: (no clue)

14) We all do a lot of charity. It's just, yeah, your own decision how much you want to help, where you want to help, if you want the public to know everything, or if you just want to donate as a silent donator. I think it's a great thing if like a sportsman or like from the music business, if they get involved and help, yeah, the needed ones.
???

15) And so, I don't know, maybe they were like -- I guess New Yorkers are trying to be fair. In all fairness she was only 16, so when I was 16, I think I lost in the first round to Ann Miller 6-1, 6-1. I'll never forget that....I think she had a very solid performance. She had a very solid performance. She's really young so she can definitely take this match and build from it.
???

Damn I suck at this :p

Albireo
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'll post the answers to this in about twelve hours; perhaps a new set of quotes to follow in a few days. (This post is otherwise a shameless bump. :) )

illianna
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM
1. can be Pennetta because her tattoo is more hidden - come on you can see Amelie's tattoo from a plane

illianna
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM
10 is DEFINITLY Mauresmo

willrock
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:54 PM
2 -> kim clijsters
6 -> jhh
7 -> tatiana for sure :)
9 -> hingis
10 -> amélie
11 -> dementieva
12 -> myskina
13 -> i'm eager to know :devil:

sweet.baby
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:04 PM
10 is DEFINITLY Mauresmo
I think so. too much "you know" :lol:

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2006, 07:59 PM
Well .. I guess no. 6, 11, and 13 Im not sure..

1) Kournikova
2) Kim
3) Lindsay
4) JHH
5) Dementieva
6) ???? Amelie
7) Tatiana
8) Maria
9) Martina
10) Mary
11) ???? Venus
12) Myskina
13) ???? Yep, maybe Navratilova
14) Patty
15) Serena

hurricanejeanne
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:38 PM
Well #3 is definately Lindsay, it's from last years USO, because I remember her saying that in the interview, and I remember the commentator saying that Jon made the flight over on the red eye during her 3rd round match.

#5 is Lena D, she's talking about playing Lindsay.
#11 is also Lena D, last year's USO.
Those are the ones I know.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
so where's the answer???

Scots Kim Fan
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'd notice that break off in the middle of a sentence anywhere!

2. is definitely KIM

Albireo
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
so where's the answer???

Later tonight-- I'm in the middle of moving.

Scots Kim Fan
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:00 PM
All those "you knows" in an extract mean 10. has got to be Kim as well

samn
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM

Martina Hingis, no?

Martina Navratilova to Tracy Austin when they both sat down together to talk about their 1981 US Open final as part of the "Greatest matches in women's tennis" series.

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:42 PM
Mmm... so Who are no. 6 and 11?

I put them in logic sense so..

I was missing Amelie and Venus.. and.. if my logic is right...

Amelie have to be 6 cause Venus is the related subject of the statement..

and who rest.. Venus that means she can be the most close to no.11 words..

Albireo
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
OK, here are the answers. The big one that threw everyone was #11-- I wasn't going to be so obvious! (#14 was tough, too-- someone got it, but I'd love to know how! ;) )

I'll do another quote quiz in a few days, as soon as everything's settled here.

1) You actually saw a tattoo on my body?--Anna Kournikova
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003australian/011303AK.html

2) No, any other, Sharapova, Justine, Venus, Serena, Lindsay, those are the girls that make you want to work harder, make you want to get stronger, make you want to get healthier and fitter again. That's what it's all about. You sort of pull yourself up when you see other players do well. That's what motivates you to train better, too. I think it's just -- yeah, even when I was injured last year, when I started playing again this year, you get motivated.--Kim Clijsters
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005usopen/083105KC.html

3) It's really difficult, yeah. I was so happy. I mean, last night he took the red eye to come here just for Labor Day weekend to see me. You know, he's got to go back to work on Tuesday. That's the way our lives go. But it's extremely difficult, but we couldn't have it any other way. I don't think we'd be together if he just quit his job and carried my bags around the tour. That's our relationship. We're both very motivated, strong-willed people. It takes a huge effort and sacrifice on both our parts to make everything work, and it's always a work in progress and a discussion and everything that goes with that.--Lindsay Davenport
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005usopen/090305LD.html

4) Like I said two minutes ago, I felt good out there....That's for sure my biggest victory, to be healthy, being on the court. I just enjoy that so much. After that I think the result is not that much important. But I have a lot of success since I arrived here in Australia. Played a lot of matches. That's what I'm here for, get my confidence back. I think I can make conclusions at the end of a whole season. That's what I wish for in 2006, to play a whole season, then we'll see at that point where I will be and how I feel.--Justine Henin-Hardenne
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2006aussie/012206JH.html

5) I play her so many times. I remember my first time playing in New York in Madison Square Garden, first round. When I saw the draw, I was almost like trying. I said, "Ma, I want to go home." I could beat her that time. But every time you play against her, you feel like, you know, it's quite difficult to find this kind of heavy shots because I don't have a hitting partner who can hit as good as she does.--Elena Dementieva
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005usopen/090505ED.html

6) I never said that. I said when the Williams sisters are in the tournament, you think, well, it's not as easy. I never said there's no chance to play against them. I actually read that. I was a little bit upset because that's not what I said. You know, I did beat Venus. You know, I'm definitely not going to be the one to say that, you know, they're impossible to beat. And I did say how long it lasts, their power, their dominance, that's a question also. I never said that. I still think even though they're 1 and 2 right now, I think a lot of players still can beat them.--Jelena Dokic
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002usopen/082602JD.html

7) Well, I always kind of practiced in Florida. I moved down here after Wimbledon last year. I've been in Bollettieri's for seven years, I spent like a year and a half at Evert's. Florida is kind of like my second home.--Tatiana Golovin
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2006nasdaq/032906TG.html

8) I try to be an artist on the court, but that sounds really cocky. I used to make those shirts. I used to have the shirts with two flags, the American Flag and the Russian Flag. It said, Save the Planet. I like to do things with my hands. I just like to sew, but I'm not very good at it, but one day I will learn.--Magdalena Maleeva
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002hdepot/110702MM.html

9) You know what, my mom asked me the same question today. "How did you feel? When was the last time you actually played your first semifinals? Were you nervous? How did you feel?" I'm like, I was a youngster. It was the US Open when I played semifinals. But I played Steffi Graf there. It was a little different playing Steffi Graf than Emmanuelle Gagliardi. But it was a great event. I was like 15 or 16 at that time. After that, I really had a great career so far. No, other than that, I think first time Hamburg when I made the finals there.--Martina Hingis
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002paclife/031402MH.html

10) Well, I think, you know, I've been asked that question a few times and I've always said that New York is a very busy city, it's very stressful, I guess, for me, you know. There's just a lot going on. There's a lot of cars, a lot of noise. It's just the air doesn't seem as clean as what I'm used to. Smells and pollution. Just all kinds of stuff always going on. I'm really used to just calm, you know, relax, being in, like, country or where it's, you know, not a lot going on. That's kind of things that I like, you know. And so I think in the past it was just kind of difficult for me to just play my best in this environment. And I feel that the difference this year for me is, uhm, you know, obviously with the experience and myself probably of course maturing and learning to deal with things in a different way and knowing myself better. And so just trying to find out how I can be in this city but still have that peace and the quiet and calmness that I need.--Mary Pierce
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005usopen/090905MP.html

11) She calls the trainer. I mean, it's not a secret. I mean, player could be hurt. I'm not saying Mary wasn't hurt. Maybe she was hurt, you know. But you really have to stay focused in this moment and not to think if she's trying to break your rhythm or if she's really painful. You just have to play the same game as you played before.--Svetlana Kuznetsova
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2004usopen/090604SK.html

12) How many times we can talk about this? I have no idea. I mean, come on. I don't care who's gonna be on the team because I might not be there just because the captain decide that I'm not good enough to be on the team. --Anastasia Myskina
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005aussie/012405A2.html

13) You go first, you won (laughter). Bitch (laughter).--Martina Navratilova
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2003usopen/090503TA.html

14) We all do a lot of charity. It's just, yeah, your own decision how much you want to help, where you want to help, if you want the public to know everything, or if you just want to donate as a silent donator. I think it's a great thing if like a sportsman or like from the music business, if they get involved and help, yeah, the needed ones.--Patty Schnyder
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005italia/051505PS.html

15) And so, I don't know, maybe they were like -- I guess New Yorkers are trying to be fair. In all fairness she was only 16, so when I was 16, I think I lost in the first round to Ann Miller 6-1, 6-1. I'll never forget that....I think she had a very solid performance. She had a very solid performance. She's really young so she can definitely take this match and build from it.[/QUOTE]--Serena Williams
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2005usopen/082905SW.html

vejh
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Wow. good job Albireo!!

UDACHi
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:31 AM
#5 was the only one that just jumped out and i knew it was immediately elena. :p

miffedmax
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
Yeah, any time a quote has "Mom" in it, it's probably Elena. Which is both endearing and kind of creepy.