PDA

View Full Version : 80's style bands making a comeback

Jakeev
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Just saw some new videos by old 80's bands Bananarama and Pet Shop Boys and was just wondering if alot of bands like this are trying to comeback in the 2000's?

Madonna and U2 are still around of course and now Jody Whatley is still trying to make a go at it.

I actually liked the new Bananarama video I saw and the Pet Shop Boys one I saw was as quirky as ever.

Any other acts from the 80's trying to comeback?

fifiricci
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:02 PM
It's funny that this thread should pop up, as I was thinking only a few days ago that a considerable number of new songs out at the moment have something of an 80s "ring" to them (instrumentally and vocally), at least to my ear (unfortunately I am one of that ancient breed that is old enough to have lived through the 80s as an adult (a very young one of course ;) ). I certainly have a hunch that we are about to experience a revival of that musical style. I just hope it comes without the accompanying fashions :scared:

Kaiwhakahare
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:11 PM
Pet Shop Boys are great, remember when they did the compliation with Dusty Springfield!! who was in the 60's!!

Speaking of the 60's, Barbra Streisand is doing a tour again, ticket prices are phenomenal!

myxomatosis
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:16 PM
The 80s were fun in an "it's fun to look back on, but I'm glad they're over" type of way.
I don't think revivals are going to be very succesful. Who knows though, the music industry is weird.

MLF
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:50 PM
The acts people assume are on a comeback because they're not in MTV or any Top 40 chart usually aren't on a comeback trail at all - they've usually been releasing albums without too much success other than selling to their immediate fanbase. Just check out an artist's discography and you might be surprised on how much material they've put out.

Pet Shop Boys had a top 5 album here in the UK last month, Jody Watley's new album is her 9th. Artists like Cyndi Lauper, Bananarama, Samantha Fox, Tiffany, Erasure, Debbie Gibson.... have all put out several albums since their chart topping days.

Martian KC
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Duran Duran never really stopped, but they did come out with an amazing album last year with Astronaut and so did Depeche Mode with Playing The Angel.

I loves my New Wave bands.

Pheobo
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Tiffany still tours.

Jakeev
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:38 PM
The acts people assume are on a comeback because they're not in MTV or any Top 40 chart usually aren't on a comeback trail at all - they've usually been releasing albums without too much success other than selling to their immediate fanbase. Just check out an artist's discography and you might be surprised on how much material they've put out.

Pet Shop Boys had a top 5 album here in the UK last month, Jody Watley's new album is her 9th. Artists like Cyndi Lauper, Bananarama, Samantha Fox, Tiffany, Erasure, Debbie Gibson.... have all put out several albums since their chart topping days.

Well it's great to know they are still plugging away. But I honestly didn't know Banarama was still around.

I know Siobhan Fahey is doing her own thing because I was a fan of Shakespear's Sisters, but I didn't know her former bandmates were still at it.

bionic71
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:09 AM
Well it's great to know they are still plugging away. But I honestly didn't know Banarama was still around.

I know Siobhan Fahey is doing her own thing because I was a fan of Shakespear's Sisters, but I didn't know her former bandmates were still at it.

Hi Jakeev,

Despite not setting the charts on fire over the past decade, Bananarama never really went away. After Siobhan left in 1988 she was replaced by Jacqui O'Sullivan and the group continued as a threesome...releasing the album POP LIFE in 1991 (singles included Preacher Man and Only Your Love).

Jacqui subsequently left the group in 1993 and Keren and Sarah have continued on as a twosome ever since...releasing PLEASE YOURSELF (1993), ULTRA VIOLET (1995), EXOTICA (2000) and recently DRAMA (2005).

A Pet Shop Boys comeback??? Did they ever go away??? They have been releasing quality albums steadily over the past 20 years...in fact they released more product in the 90s than in the 80s and have already released 2 full studio albums plus a soundtrack (BattleShip Potmkin) and a greatest hits collection in the 00's. I don't think there is a pop group that could rival their output over the past 20 years.

It is quite sad that once an artist or group vanishes from the MTV spotlight it is assumed that their careers and product have vanished also...it is often not the case.

Much of Cyndi Laupers best work has been on albums made well after her 80s heyday...her late 90s albums HATFUL OF STARS and SISTERS OF AVALON are sensational. She continues to tour relentlessy and is an essential live act not to be missed if you get the opportunity.

As already mentioned by the lovely MLF, both Jody Watley and Samantha Fox have continued to release albums beyond the 80s and continue to have hits in many territories. Fox is still popular in Scandanavia, Belgium and Germany and has continued to have chart success in those regions.

Reckoner
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:38 AM
It's all because of GTA: Vice City. i know after playing that game I loved 80's music, whil before I thought it was terrible. :lol:

But seriously music, like most things work in cycles. For example the rap thing that is passing now was like disco in the late 70's and the emo music that is replacing it, is like the hair metal of the 80's, a watered down version of a genre that been underground for years and finally catching on.

Jakeev
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Jakeev,

Despite not setting the charts on fire over the past decade, Bananarama never really went away. After Siobhan left in 1988 she was replaced by Jacqui O'Sullivan and the group continued as a threesome...releasing the album POP LIFE in 1991 (singles included Preacher Man and Only Your Love).

Jacqui subsequently left the group in 1993 and Keren and Sarah have continued on as a twosome ever since...releasing PLEASE YOURSELF (1993), ULTRA VIOLET (1995), EXOTICA (2000) and recently DRAMA (2005).

A Pet Shop Boys comeback??? Did they ever go away??? They have been releasing quality albums steadily over the past 20 years...in fact they released more product in the 90s than in the 80s and have already released 2 full studio albums plus a soundtrack (BattleShip Potmkin) and a greatest hits collection in the 00's. I don't think there is a pop group that could rival their output over the past 20 years.

It is quite sad that once an artist or group vanishes from the MTV spotlight it is assumed that their careers and product have vanished also...it is often not the case.

Much of Cyndi Laupers best work has been on albums made well after her 80s heyday...her late 90s albums HATFUL OF STARS and SISTERS OF AVALON are sensational. She continues to tour relentlessy and is an essential live act not to be missed if you get the opportunity.

As already mentioned by the lovely MLF, both Jody Watley and Samantha Fox have continued to release albums beyond the 80s and continue to have hits in many territories. Fox is still popular in Scandanavia, Belgium and Germany and has continued to have chart success in those regions.

Funny thing is I don't really watch MTV anymore but I don't hear much of any 80's hold-over groups unless it's usually Madonna, U2 or Janet Jackson.

I just happened to be watching the LOGO channel when I saw the Bananarama and Pet Shop Boys videos where my eyes popped open and I thought damnnnnnn they are back?

Just glad to know many are still producing even if they are not part of the MTV crowd anymore.

Beat
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM
Duran Duran never really stopped, but they did come out with an amazing album last year with Astronaut
well, it was a comeback of sorts because andy and roger taylor re-joined the group.

i'm sorry, bionic, but i don't think i have seen samantha fox in the german charts for, oh, about 20 years. ;)

scritti politti have a new album out, and it's supposed to be good.

who else?

bionic71
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:03 PM
well, it was a comeback of sorts because andy and roger taylor re-joined the group.

i'm sorry, bionic, but i don't think i have seen samantha fox in the german charts for, oh, about 20 years. ;)

scritti politti have a new album out, and it's supposed to be good.

who else?

Hi Beat...
As recenty as 1997 she had a chart single with "Let Me Be Free" from her 21st CENTURY FOX album. Her European distribution company (until 2001) UKK Trontager, was located in Cologne. Germany was one of the few countries that the song charted (along with Austria, The Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and Norway). The tracks "Go For The Heart" (1995) and "Santa Maria" (1998) also registered chart activity in the same regions...."Santa Maria" reaching No.1 in Norway. In 2003 a remix of her classic "Touch Me", performed with comedian Gunter, was a huge hit in Sweden (spending 3 weeks at No.1 on the singles chart).

Kart
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
Pet Shop Boys :worship: :worship: :worship:.

This reminds me I ought to go out and get the new album.

samn
Aug 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM
Any other acts from the 80's trying to comeback?

Has Whitney put the crack pipe down yet?

Sorry, I forgot that she's too rich to do crack. Oh, and crack is whack.

MLF
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Before I got online a few years ago I just assumed that a lot of my favourite artists had just fizzled away. When I saw the amount of material that had been released without me knowing I was like a kid in a sweet shop and I spent way too much money courtesy of Visa catching up on what I'd missed.

The Crow
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Tiffany's still touring? How does she look these days? :angel:

Another band that keeps touring (I have no idea if they still produce new records) is The Human League.

The Crow
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
And Simple Minds as well. And The Levellers (although that's probably more early 90's, isn't it?)

MLF
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Tiffany's still touring? How does she look these days? :angel:

Another band that keeps touring (I have no idea if they still produce new records) is The Human League.

Human League released an album a couple of years ago Joris, and are working on a new one now. Here's a pic of Tiffany these days just for you ;-) It's her latest album cover :

http://www.tiffany.org/music/albums/doad/doad-m.jpg

Hagar
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Before I got online a few years ago I just assumed that a lot of my favourite artists had just fizzled away. When I saw the amount of material that had been released without me knowing I was like a kid in a sweet shop and I spent way too much money courtesy of Visa catching up on what I'd missed.

Well, that's the good thing about being in 2006. We now all have a Visa card and can finally buy the music which we could not afford as poor students in the 80'ies. I regularly do one of these nostalgic buys.

*JR*
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
The Pretenders owned the 80's! (Chrissie's too busy getting busted in PETA demonstrations now to tour much anymore). :tape:

bionic71
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
Well, that's the good thing about being in 2006. We now all have a Visa card and can finally buy the music which we could not afford as poor students in the 80'ies. I regularly do one of these nostalgic buys.

Oh yes...almost every week I managed to locate some old nostalgia fix on the internet and exercise Mr Visa. :)

Jakeev
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Has Whitney put the crack pipe down yet?

Sorry, I forgot that she's too rich to do crack. Oh, and crack is whack.

She is one of the sadder stories of the 80s. She might not be broke like some artists, but she no less any better.

Beat
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.tiffany.org/music/albums/doad/doad-m.jpg
the design of the cover looks distinctly 80ies ;)

Hagar
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Anyone remember Prefab Sprout and Aztek Camera? Two bands which made great, sophisticated music. Oh... as I am writing this, I remember Scritti Politi.

bionic71
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Anyone remember Prefab Sprout and Aztek Camera? Two bands which made great, sophisticated music. Oh... as I am writing this, I remember Scritti Politi.

Ah yes...Prefab Sprout have been working on a 21st anniversary release of their popular 80s album STEVE MCQUEEN, I think it will have a bonus acoustic disc attached. Thomas Dolby (of "He Blinded Me With Science" fame) will be producing it...just as he did 21 years ago...

Aztec Camera...mmm....yes...they looked New Wave but were mostly an acoustic group. They were still releasing albums beyond the 80s... well into the later part of the 90s. Their success was pretty much confined to the UK if I remember correctly.

MLF
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM

A new Scritti Politti album was released in May, it's called 'White Bread Black Beer'. Green from Scritti Politti also sang on the last Kylie Minogue album on a track called 'Someday'.

I rememeber Aztec Camera too. Lead singer Roddy Frame has released many solo albums. His latest one came out 2 months ago here in the UK.