PDA

View Full Version : YOUR predictions on Monica and Jennifer:Will they ever come back and will they win??

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:30 AM
First of all, we all know the current situation. Monica is on permanent hiatus from the tour, because of recurrent foot issues. Jennifer has had 4 major surgeries and cant serve or hit forhands.

Lets forget all of that. What IF a miracle occured and they were completely recovered and managed to both get physically fit again? Jennifer I believe has and continues to have one of the best ground strokes arsenal in female tennis, period. Her fundamental strokes, not to mention her desire and speed are all virtualy top 5 material. Monica much the same. Strong shots of both wings and mental toughness surpassed by very few.

I believe Capriati still has a shot at winning tournaments and making a good comeback, if she does come back. Why? Simply because she has a pure game, she hits hard, she's rock strong and she wants to win, shes a worrior princess. Will she win her US Open? Maybe not... but she may win a tier 1 title or 2. If she DOES come back, watch out Serena!

Monica? A little harder to predict. Shes a few years older than Capriati, her shots are more affective when shes fit and strong, and her fitness has always been an issue. But, like Capriati, she hits big and hard, and even if she hasnt played in years, the game hasnt evolved past her being able to play the kind of tennis she needs to win big titles.

Both girls made tennis a great sport to watch, and both girls have the games to be top 10, even top 5 players again, given the oppertunity and a little luck as far as health goes. What are your thoughts? Can Jennifer and Monica make it to the top again>? Even if it may never happen? And if so, what impact and what slams could they win?

My predictions:
Monica: I see Monica playing for 1 or 2 more seasons, if she can make it through foot issues, probably making finals at the french and looming in the top 10- 15 range. Retiring with a steller career in 2009.

Capriati: Making a stab at all the majors in 2007 or 2008 (whenever her rehab is completed) , getting into phenomenal shape and hiring Chris Evert as her new Coach. I predict her making a dream run at the U.S Open if so and defeating an in form Serena in yet another Classic encounter. Retiring shortly after.

Poova
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM
I really do see Capriati coming back. Just a feeling. I think she'll return in 2007 with a hugely successful comeback and getting back into the top five in the world, getting to the semis of a slam.

Monica Seles, I really don't see coming back sadly. :sad:

vutt
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM
Don't thik Seles will come back. Her ego is to big to eat early round GS losses.

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Monicas ego? Sure, i think monica has a certain amount of healthy pride. Any top ranked player should and must posses a certain arrogance. Its almost compolsury. However i think Monica, if she even had a whiff of a chance would more than likely try a comeback. Who knows what could happen?

Even at her best, Monica cant predict if she could win another major, look at Davenport. Perfect example. She is playing brilliant power tennis, winning titles on a regular basis, yet, has been unable to win any more majors...its all luck, many factors play into it, and i refuse to believe pride or "ego" is one of those, and if so, its the smallest reason a player would attempt a comeback.

Look at serena, she often has little match play, and is often injured, yet time and time again comes back only to win out of the blue titles seemingly out of her hat! Do you think she lacks ego>? She has the biggest ego out there, hun. Monica needs a little "serena attitude" and she could do it too. Heck, capriati too...just do it, who cares if your not 100%, if its your only shot, then do it, or else you'll regret it.

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Lets get this thread going. ANY thoughts whatsoever, it deserves a good discussion! These girls are worth a good thread! :drool:

thrust
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:21 PM
No, and No. Both are too old, especially Monica, to have a successful comeback.

vogus
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:31 PM
Lets get this thread going. ANY thoughts whatsoever, it deserves a good discussion! These girls are worth a good thread! :drool:

these issues were discussed on this board like a year or two ago and they don't need to be discussed again. In a nutshell: Seles has been finished for a long time now. Capriati might still come back. When she does we'll talk about it.

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
these issues were discussed on this board like a year or two ago and they don't need to be discussed again. In a nutshell: Seles has been finished for a long time now. Capriati might still come back. When she does we'll talk about it.

a year ago?

well, how nice, but this isnt last year, this is now...and time has passed, situations change.

Seles is finished? I think youre right, personally. But, in my opinion shes putting too much emphasis on this supposed injury.

I know for a fact that Seles still plays tennis-regularly. Yes, playing tennis for fun and doing it for money and pride is completely different, but, you cannot tell me that if she can hit a tennis gball without falling over, she cant still compete!

As for jennifer, same thing, yeah, people get injured, but lets go there, you get better, and you try it. Id like to see these players have the mental fortitude to come back, its all mental. In my opinion anyways. If they can walk and hit a ball, everything else is achievable. (if your prepared to make the effort)

alana

vogus
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
a year ago?

well, how nice, but this isnt last year, this is now...and time has passed, situations change.

no, that's the point, nothing has changed since a year ago, and there is nothing new to discuss. It's really a dead in the water topic.

sfselesfan
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:05 PM
I don't agree with any of the choices. I do not think tennis has passed them by. They have the types of games that can still compete. However, I do not think they are coming back. I also doubt they will coach.

SF

mr_burns
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:11 PM
Capriati might return next year , but i am unsure about her chances

momo and justine had a good h2h before her injury and i don't think that will change

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
One option that was left off was "both will retire due to their injuries without making a comeback." It seems like the likely scenario at this point.

IceHock
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'm praying Jennifer comes back,she was basicly my favorite player alongside Daniela.If she comes back,I do think she willbe a threat,if her forehand is still there and her speed,but I guess only time will tell if she comes back.

magassi
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think it will be hard for both to comeback, quite frankly. I think physically, Capraiti has a better shot -- but her shoulder seems beyond repair (she can't even throw a ball to her dogs without pain?? That aint promising). If she does get better and returns, she has to hire herself a real/amazing coach and get in 2001-2002 shape... then she may have a chance.

teo_honey
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:17 PM
a year ago?

Seles is finished? I think youre right, personally. But, in my opinion shes putting too much emphasis on this supposed injury.

I know for a fact that Seles still plays tennis-regularly. Yes, playing tennis for fun and doing it for money and pride is completely different, but, you cannot tell me that if she can hit a tennis gball without falling over, she cant still compete!

As for jennifer, same thing, yeah, people get injured, but lets go there, you get better, and you try it. Id like to see these players have the mental fortitude to come back, its all mental. In my opinion anyways. If they can walk and hit a ball, everything else is achievable. (if your prepared to make the effort)

alana

That's just the problem with Jennifer. She can't even throw a ball yet. Or this is what she said a few weeks ago. We can only hope!

samsung101
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:03 PM
No.
And No.

Monica is too old, and although she looks in great
shape (she was on tv for something to do w/a Yonex
thing w/kids)...the game has passed her by. It's
been too long.

Why bother anyway?

She's an all time great, popular, and fans loved her
then and now.

She should play some Team Tennis or exhibitions
though, that would be nice.

Jennifer, ditto.

If she lost about 20 pounds, I'd say sure.

But, she won't.

Their injuries take this long to get over because
they are older.

Can Capriati beat Amelie or an in shape Venus
right now? No.

Monica, definitely not.

dani-fan
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think they will come back, it's too late for them.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:10 PM
capriati has the better chance. seles won't return, i highly doubt that. jennifer wants to but unfortunately her therapy is taking forever and taking a toll, so if she can't come back, that's why, it's not because of choice:) i hope she can do it though...

TeamUSA#1
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Monica-- highly doubtful. She has a chronic foot injury which she refuses to have surgery on. She said early this year that if she couldn't get back on the court during 2006, she is retiring. Given that the USO is just weeks away and she isnt doing anything tennis wise, I would say it is safe to say she is done. Which is really too bad, as she was a great player. If her foot had healed, she would have returned to the top 15 for sure... I dont think Monica will do too much with tennis in her retirement.

Jennifer-- too early and too hard to say. Shoulder injuries and surgeries take FOREVER to recover from. If the tennis Gods are kind, she will get that shoulder in order and be able to return. If she cant get the shoulder together by the 2007 French Open, I think she will accept her fate and move on. But, if her rehab picks up, I could easily see her returning in 2007 and playing for antother 3-4 years, and with good results. She def. still has the game to be top10/top5. If anthing, the tour is easier now than it was in 2001-2003, when Jen was at her best. If she has to retire, I think eventually Jen will be involved in the sport somehow - coaching, commentary, something...

jrm
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:55 PM
Don't know why is Monica waiting ... she should have announced her career end!

She was my all time favourite but there is no way she will be ever coming back!

RJWCapriati
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:55 PM
I think Jennifer will be back in early 2007 , unfortunately I don't see Monica back. Hopefully we will see Monica in world team tennis.

Steffica Greles
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:13 PM
My predictions:
Monica: I see Monica playing for 1 or 2 more seasons, if she can make it through foot issues, probably making finals at the french and looming in the top 10- 15 range. Retiring with a steller career in 2009.

Capriati: Making a stab at all the majors in 2007 or 2008 (whenever her rehab is completed) , getting into phenomenal shape and hiring Chris Evert as her new Coach. I predict her making a dream run at the U.S Open if so and defeating an in form Serena in yet another Classic encounter. Retiring shortly after.

I'd say that's very optimistic about Seles, to say the very least. I would love to believe it, but really now, come on, that's the nearest thing to impossible that I can think of.

Personally, at almost thirty-three, three and a half years since she last played, I think it's almost impossible that Seles will ever come back. She's been saying for the last two years that she practices several times a week and can, for a short time, play at a reasonably high level. So why hasn't she come back? If she was going to return, surely she would have done it two years ago? Secondly, if her foot still hasn't healed after more than three years, then by what reasoning will it be improved in another year, at thirty-five?

You might ask why Seles has not yet retired if she sees no chance of getting back to where she was? First of all, you must remember that Monica is singularly stubborn. She's said many times that she won't make decisions just for other people. It's quite possible that she's also clear that she won't come back but needs a little while to come to terms with it in her own mind. That's how it sounded in her revealing interview a few months ago. Or perhaps she has reached a degree of acceptance, but sees no reason to make announcements. Maybe when she's asked she will let us know.

If Seles is physically capable of returning at least for a few tournaments, then perhaps she may do so. She always said that she didn't want to go out the way she did (a 0&1 thumping at the hands of Petrova, at Roland Garros of all places). Brenda Schultz has done so just for the novelty. Monica may take inspiration from her. Older players often feed off one another's achievements. A number of people were inspired by Mary Pierce's late run last year. But if she does, I can't see it being any more than a novelty, 'farewell' tour. She'll play a few matches, maybe win one or two if she's up to it, and then bid farewell. Having said that, Monica Seles said she'd never do that. And when Monica says something, she rarely ever changes her mind. Like when they told her to play single-handed.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're in a dreamworld.

As for Capriati, I would say there's a fifty percent chance that she'll return. She's a little younger, more athletic than Monica, and she sounds like she still wants to. But reading her interview last month, the prognosis does not sound good.

If Capriati does return, I can't see her reaching the top ten again, and if it becomes clear to her that she's past her best, I think she'll call it a day and be glad that she tried. So no, I can't see her getting back to the top or thereabouts.

Sorry to be so pessimisstic.

Kart
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:49 PM
What would either of them want to come back for ? :shrug:

patricio
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:56 PM
I think Monica and Jennifer wont come back...

samsung101
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:00 PM
I don't rule out Monica coming back to play
doubles or mixed doubles, but, not much
more than that.

Capriati, I think about the same. She worked
so hard to be in shape when she did have that
first big comeback. But, do you really think she
has the heart and mind to do that again closer
to 30 than 20?

Is there an Agassi 2nd act in these two women -
which for both would really be their 3rd comeback
in tennis.

selyoink
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:12 PM
Neither will ever play again. Capriati has a better shot of making a return but not much of one.

Lulu.
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM
Capriati has a better shot

franny
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:41 PM
I don't see it happening. They can both make comebacks, but I doubt they'll be successful. They both will make it to quarters and semis of slams maybe, but neither will win another slam. Still, it won't hurt to see them back. The game can never have too many personalities.

The Daviator
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM
I think it's realistic that Jen will come back, I give Monica a 5% chance at coming back...

AlanaStarr
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM
i cant believe people dont have nay faith in these girls ! Especially jen!

wow!

DannerCal
Aug 1st, 2006, 03:39 AM
Seles - No, (but love her).
Jennifer - Will probably attempt. Could see her back in top 20 - but don't think she will win a grand slam unless she comes back with more confidence. She get's so close and had so many gr8 opportunites before she went out on injury. She has the game - she just needs the belief.