PDA

View Full Version : what are the most overrated shots in women's tennis?

hingisGOAT
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:09 PM
pretty straightfoward question. :cool:

#3. venus williams backhand -- just as erratic as her forehand. as i was watching the match in my sig, it was spectacular how dominant hingis was on backhand-to-backhand exchanges. but ive never admired the erroneous venus williams ground game; its her athleticism, serve, and swing volleys that are remarkable.

#2. davenport forehand -- it appears to be just another modern women's tennis forehand, which is to say it is extremely powerful and even more unreliable. her backhand is so much better.

#1. dementieva backhand -- if one more person mentions dementieva as having the best ground strokes on tour :tape: it's a statement that is spectacularly untrue, because her backhand is the worst in the top 10 this side of batty patty. she has absolutely no accuracy with that wing, and hits it very late. most of her shots end up going down the middle, and if her opponent is in the forehand corner, she has a laughably difficult time trying to hit a backhand into the opening.

but i may be wrong, as the fans of these players will no doubt remind me :lol: so what do you think are the most overrated shots in the game?

Il Primo!
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:18 PM
#3. venus williams backhand -- just as erratic as her forehand. as i was watching the match in my sig, it was spectacular how dominant hingis was on backhand-to-backhand exchanges. but ive never admired the erroneous venus williams ground game; its her athleticism, serve, and swing volleys that are remarkable.

So,you say Venus'backhand sucks coz of one single match?Andy Roddick's serve has ever been off oneday..But he's still an excellent server, isn't he?

Gosh...I'm gonna pray for you :angel:

:retard:

40-0
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM
yeah i also think venus backhand is her best shot and back in 00 01 was fenomenal, when venus came back in may, her confidence on her strokes didnt show up, even tho, her forehand was way better than her backhand , they just change plays

K-Dog
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:28 PM
that was a period when venus was having trouble off the backhand when she returned. it is SO much better now and is the weapon it once was. that match was really the breaking point for Venus when she realized that she needed to work on her backhand. it got better, just that the forehand is back to being its normal, horrible self.

hingisGOAT
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:30 PM
So,you say Venus'backhand sucks coz of one single match?

before you use the 'retard' smiley, i suggest you re-read what i wrote -- maybe that way, your reading comprehension won't seem so, well, retarded!

mirzalover
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM
i dont like dementieve but her backhand is solid and she can hit winners off of it so i dont see how it's over rated

K-Dog
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM
before you use the 'retard' smiley, i suggest you re-read what i wrote -- maybe that way, your reading comprehension won't seem so, well, retarded!

sorry, but what you wrote was incorrect because I saw her matches after Rome and her backhand was fine during the French Open and Wimbledon. It was her forehand and lack of confidence that killed her.

50Sense
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:36 PM
The JHH backhand. I mean it's nice to look at and all, but I just don't get it. Lol I'd much rather hit with a two-handed backhand.

Plus, her forehand is much better than her backhand anyway.

hingisGOAT
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:38 PM
sorry, but what you wrote was incorrect

nope :smoke: venus' backhand is overrated, in my opinion :cool:

where are the whining, rabid davenport and dementieva fans? :confused:

Il Primo!
Jul 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Ok, I'm forced to do some efforts to prove you wrong

Actually, I did read your post (nothing surprising) and when you talk about Vee's BH ONLY, you're refering to this match against Hingis at Rome. And then you talk about Vee's erroneous overhall game. You don't mention her BH anymore...

And, please, I wonder how many good matches from Venus did you see? Sorry but her BH rarely ket her down(until this year IMO ) Her barometer was and is still her FH. I don't agree. And when Venus do errors it's mostly due to her FH. You can deny it.

That's why I keep on thinking you are a retard on this point

On the other hand I do think Elena's groundstrokes are EXTREMLY OVER RATED

perseus2006
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:08 AM
I think the most overrated "shots" in tennis come from the commentators booth. The shots from Carillo, the McEnroe bros and Brad Gilbert at players' game, character and court behavior are consistently exagerated, distorted, fabricated and sensationalized.

UDACHi
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:11 AM
elena makes some errors with her backhand, but she can wack some extraordinary winners with that thing.

plus, nobody even talks about her backhand.

treufreund
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:13 AM
Venus's backhand is way more erratic these days. Ever since her loss to Myskina at the French Open in 2004 it has been very unreliable in 90% of her matches. It may have to do with her wrist injuries or just a breakdown in technique and footwork or both.

treufreund
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM
The JHH backhand. I mean it's nice to look at and all, but I just don't get it. Lol I'd much rather hit with a two-handed backhand.

Plus, her forehand is much better than her backhand anyway.

I prefer the one hander. I suck at producing two handers but can hit some incredible one handers. It also has much more reach. I enjoyed seeing haas beat tursunov today (much of which was due to his backhand). Really I think Federer, Gasquet, Haas, Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo are all showing just how useful a 1-hander can be. of course, the best player would master both the 2-hander and 1-hander. :o

faboozadoo15
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:18 AM
justine's backhand is overrated. it's great, it's beautiful, but when people are talking about how she wins her tennis matches, they don't speak enough about her forehand, which lands far more winners and many fewer errors.

Havok
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:18 AM
Mauresmo's backhand. It's a great shot, but think it's a tad overrated on this board and by tennis announcers in general. It just isn't a huge shot like Justine's, Venus' or even Hingis' backhands are.

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:22 AM
Justine's volleys. Can be good but easy volleys drop into the net because she's a bit stiff with her netplay.

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:24 AM

B*tch, you need to watch their 2000 Wimbledon QF encounter :angel: And you need to watch the 2001 US Open SF, where Venus sent your home girl home! :devil: You will see how overrated that shot truly is, you retarded attention seeking as*hole! :wavey: :D

iPatty
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:26 AM
groenefeld's serve. venus's backhand. mirza's forehand. etc.

alg's serve is way too inconsistent. same with venus's backhand. mirza has a nice forehand when she hits the ball in the court, but when this happens 3 out of 10 times, it's not a good thing.

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:27 AM
Justine's Backhand! Sorry! To me, if you're going to beat her, that's the shot you would want to attack! she shanks a lot of balls :shrug:

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:29 AM
groenefeld's serve. venus's backhand. mirza's forehand. etc.

alg's serve is way too inconsistent. same with venus's backhand. mirza has a nice forehand when she hits the ball in the court, but when this happens 3 out of 10 times, it's not a good thing.
:help:

I really dont know how someone oculd call Venus' back-hand overrated and inconsistent :help: That's the shot that has gotten her out of tough situations time in and time out :shrug: It won her 2005's Wimbledon title, and has saved her numerous match points :shrug:

Ask Patty :tape:

iPatty
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:34 AM
:help:

I really dont know how someone oculd call Venus' back-hand overrated and inconsistent :help: That's the shot that has gotten her out of tough situations time in and time out :shrug: It won her 2005's Wimbledon title, and has saved her numerous match points :shrug:

Ask Patty :tape:

it's nice how you attack other people's faves to make your own look good. that's okay, though. two can play that game. the fugly big nosed chick in your avatar just got killed by patty. talk about overrated.

on subject, venus's backhand is breaking down a lot lately. she needs to become a net rusher, because there are many, many girls who can break her down from the baseline nowadays.

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:36 AM
it's nice how you attack other people's faves to make your own look good. that's okay, though. two can play that game. the fugly big nosed chick in your avatar just got killed by patty. talk about overrated.

on subject, venus's backhand is breaking down a lot lately. she needs to become a net rusher, because there are many, many girls who can break her down from the baseline nowadays.
:sad:

Anyway, I just disagree with your opinion. Let's leave it there :hug:

UDACHi
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:39 AM
petrova's backhand.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:43 AM
Heylookimgay, you know better to talk bad about Venus Williams on this board...Venus is the WTAworld sweetheart...we will get you!

égalité
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:55 AM
Mirza's forehand, definitely. It could be one of the best in the game if it didn't produce 300 errors per match :tape:

K-Dog
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:55 AM
greggy, what has got into you lately? you were never this abrasive. and please dude, don't be dissing any of the players you just have when the players in your siggy have won a total of 1 major and when they have a pretty poor h2h to most of the players you are hatin on.

iPatty
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:58 AM
greggy, what has got into you lately? you were never this abrasive. and please dude, don't be dissing any of the players you just have when the players in your siggy have won a total of 1 major and when they have a pretty poor h2h to most of the players you are hatin on.

what does this have to do with anything?

K-Dog
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:05 AM
what does this have to do with anything?
it does. because your favs are nothing to brag about really, so why hate on more accomplished players? it kind of makes you look silly.

Andy.
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:47 AM
B*tch, you need to watch their 2000 Wimbledon QF encounter :angel: And you need to watch the 2001 US Open SF, where Venus sent your home girl home! :devil: You will see how overrated that shot truly is, you retarded attention seeking as*hole! :wavey: :D
Yeah well its not 2000 or 2001 anymore and that shots isnt what it used to be, there is no need to be as rude as you are. Allthough it was good at Wimbledon 05 its not quite back there yet.

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:58 AM
dementieva doesn't have the best backhand in terms of precision, but she makes up for it because it's so powerful

Dominic
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:43 AM
i actually think dementieva's forehand is overrated since its so inconsistent. Sometimes its great but so many times she cant put one in the court.

Marcus Jordan
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:11 AM
scotch and whiskey both overrated

Leo_DFP
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:17 AM
I don't agree. Venus' backhand, Lindsay's forehand, and Elena's backhand are all incredible shots.

I would say Justine's backhand is slightly overrated.

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Mauresmo's backhand. It's a great shot, but think it's a tad overrated on this board and by tennis announcers in general. It just isn't a huge shot like Justine's, Venus' or even Hingis' backhands are.

Yeah, you said it all :yeah:

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
I think Elena has her moments of brilliance but is overated overall.

Maria has her moments too, got lucky with Wimbledon. Her mental toughness is bigger than any of her shots, really.

Venus has great forhands, loads of atrocious ones as well.

I think Justines backhand is overated as is Amelies, yes, they are "pretty" but they arent nessesarily there best shot.

Golovin i find overated, she needs to add some power to her game, i saw her live and she wasnt hiting very well.

Viktymise
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Vee's BH was much better than her FH at Wimbledon, her FH was the reason she lost against Jankovic so many wild errors off that side, her BH was very erratic on the clay but its bacause she wasnt able to train with it for several months, and Lena's BH is anything but overrated, iv never heard anyone say "oh wow look at her BH its lethal, one of the best in the game" no they say that about her FH, her BH has improved so much the last couple of yrs and is much better than say Petrova's or Schnyder's BH

Viktymise
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:22 AM
dementieva doesn't have the best backhand in terms of precision, but she makes up for it because it's so powerful
Agreed, the match against Likhovsteva at Wimbledon was a match i saw where she was using her power to really muscle alot of BH winners DTL and BH passes too

PatrickRyan
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM
justine's backhand and srry to say mauresmo's backhand

iPatty
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
it does. because your favs are nothing to brag about really, so why hate on more accomplished players? it kind of makes you look silly.

okay, but we're not talking about the people in my sig. we're talking about venus. i guess you feel better when you attack my faves when you hear something bad about venus.

oakkao
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah well its not 2000 or 2001 anymore and that shots isnt what it used to be, there is no need to be as rude as you are. Allthough it was good at Wimbledon 05 its not quite back there yet.
Sharapova got a taste of that 1st hand! Venus is the best backhand in the game! No questions asked! :rocker2: Heylookimgay is one of the most disrespectful trolls on this board, he needed tp be told :shrug: :angel:

Beny
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:46 PM

#2. davenport forehand -- it appears to be just another modern women's tennis forehand, which is to say it is extremely powerful and even more unreliable. her backhand is so much better.

#1. dementieva backhand -- if one more person mentions dementieva as having the best ground strokes on tour :tape: it's a statement that is spectacularly untrue, because her backhand is the worst in the top 10 this side of batty patty. she has absolutely no accuracy with that wing, and hits it very late. most of her shots end up going down the middle, and if her opponent is in the forehand corner, she has a laughably difficult time trying to hit a backhand into the opening.

but i may be wrong, as the fans of these players will no doubt remind me :lol: so what do you think are the most overrated shots in the game?
Well, i quite have to agree with you..
I agree with the Venus point. Davenport and her forehand and backhand are the same as Justine`s forehand and backhand. I think their backhands are so reliable.But they prefer to play forehand..they attack more from the forehand side..

Lena`s backhand is after her serve probably the weakest part of her game. The backhand is not very reliable and it often
is inaccurate... I`m always a bit worried when she has to play lots of backhands in a rally..
But it has improved recently

dany.p
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Amelie's backhand is beautiful to watch, but not as great as people make it out to be. I don't think justines backhand is overated, as people are now realising that her forehand is the shot that usually wins her matches.

lukehingis
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Elena's BH is not overrated at all.. infact it's one of the most underrated shots!!

Mirza's FH and overall power game is overrated... i mean there's just as many players who hit it as hard.. and those who hit less hard make up for it with consistency

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Jhh's bh and volleys.

IceHock
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sharapova got a taste of that 1st hand! Venus is the best backhand in the game! No questions asked! :rocker2: Heylookimgay is one of the most disrespectful trolls on this board, he needed tp be told :shrug: :angel:

I actually think Lindsay does Roshane,she hit's less errors with it and it's always powerful,but i'll give Vee a close second.

Direwolf
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM
I think Daniela's outfit is WAY overratted
Momos backhand

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM
JHH's backhand and volleys.

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:12 PM
Jhh's bh and volleys.
autopersuasionlovah :spit:

dizoo
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM
Vaidisova backhand

ALG serve

Beny
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:47 PM
JHH's backhand and volleys.
I know we`re both fans of Lena....but you must admit that JHH`s backhand is more than good(I would say great). OK,volleys-I don`t know, I didn`t notice anything special about JHH`s volleys but I`ve seen many backhand shots by JHH .I don`t think it is overrated..but that`s your opinion.. :wavey:

Beny
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:50 PM
btw.I agree with Nicole`s backhand.It`s overrated. Did you notice that Nicole wants to act like..or wants to have similar clothes- and game style to Venus. She copies that backhand I am sure. And the clothing company.The first time I saw Nicole play I was sure
her idol(or something like that....maybe favourite player)is Venus..

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:17 PM
I know we`re both fans of Lena....but you must admit that JHH`s backhand is more than good(I would say great). OK,volleys-I don`t know, I didn`t notice anything special about JHH`s volleys but I`ve seen many backhand shots by JHH .I don`t think it is overrated..but that`s your opinion.. :wavey:

i'm not saying jhh's backhand isn't good, i'm just saying that people say it's the best shot in women's tennis, jhh has the most beautiful backhand, etc. i've seen her backhand break down far too much for those praises to be accurate, thus, to me, her BH is overrated.

her volleys are above average. nothing more.

Stamp Paid
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Justine's backhand and volleys
Mauresmo's backhand
Venus' volleys
Mirza's forehand
Sharapova's serve (1st and 2nd)

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
her volleys are above average. nothing more.

When you compare her to the rest of the TOUR, you must admit she's got one of the best volleys at least...even the best(to me). Who have better volleys than her? I'm not a fan, I'm just being honest

Stamp Paid
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:21 PM
When you compare her to the rest of the TOUR, you must admit she's got one of the best volleys at least...even the best(to me). Who have better volleys than her? I'm not a fan, I'm just being honest

Amelie Mauresmo.

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM
Amelie Mauresmo.

I admitt it's extremly close but to me she's a lil bit better coz her swing volleys(I'm not sure it's the right term to use)are better than Mauresmo's. But I admit saying Mauresmo have the best volleys is acceptable ;)

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
I admitt it's extremly close but to me she's a lil bit better coz her swing volleys(I'm not sure it's the right term to use)are better than Mauresmo's. But I admit saying Mauresmo have the best volleys is acceptable ;)
:speakles:

Momo doesn't take enough chances on her bh (like she used imo) :p
(when I watch some of her earlier matches, it was something else a few years ago :eek: ) in that respect it is overrated :tape:

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM

(when I watch some of her earlier matches, it was something else a few years ago :eek: ) in that respect it is overrated :tape:

I'm relieved you don't deny it :p

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM
I'm relieved you don't deny it :p
But if she plays her bh like she can (as in letting it rip :drool: ), it's better than JHH imo :p

Beny
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Mauresmo's backhand
Venus' volleys

That`s right too.I didn`t write it in my posts but I just realize a lot of things when I see them posted by others.. :)

NoNameFace:Okay, I, personally,don`t say her backhand is the best in women`s tennis(some people do).Sometimes it seems so, in some matches, when Justine plays her best or so.. But it`s (IMO) the best one-handed backhand in women`s tennis.Can we agree on that? :) I don`t like Amelie`s backhand that much...

When Justine won some big tournaments a lot of people said it`s the best shot in WT. But I remember the same happened after Hantuchova won Indian Wells.She played some good backhands throughout the tournament and people immediately said she has the best backhand(or one of the best)..DTL.

Last year, Eurosport commentators said Lena has the most powerful forehand in women`s tennis. They had said st like that about Kuznetsova before.

All these quotes have been said because the people were(I would say) too emotional by watching some matches. When they see a player hitting beautiful stroke/s in one match, they automatically say her serve/BH/FH..is the best on tour.. :D

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
But if she plays her bh like she can (as in letting it rip :drool: ), it's better than JHH imo :p

...It won't happen :devil:

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:47 PM
...It won't happen :devil:
oui et toutes tes prédictions concernant Momo ont eu lieu cette année (spécialement à Wimbledon ) :spit: :devil:

hingisGOAT
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:25 PM
i agree with those who are naming one-handed backhands. sure, they may be pretty, but a strong two hander will rip it to shreds :armed:

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:36 PM
i agree with those who are naming one-handed backhands. sure, they may be pretty, but a strong two hander will rip it to shreds :armed:

:wavey:

just a question. if elena's backhand is overrated, then how is she top 10? and it's not like she was #10 for a week, she's been up to 4 in the world and has been in the top 10 for the past two years...consecutively.

if we look at it objectively...she can't serve, she's not great at the net --- if her backhand truly sucks like you say, then what...she's top 10 because of her forehand and speed? that's it? she's fast and she has a good forehand, but i don't think that's enough for a solid top 10 player (and two time GS finalist) :confused:

i'm seriously asking. i want input from a non-fan. i just don't see how her ground game isn't the best (or one of the best) in women's tennis. she has to back up that serve with JUST her groundstrokes. it says a lot about her ground game that she's top 10 and beats the top players (including victories over the current top 3 within the past year...she's also taken out both belgians this year.)

frenchie
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:42 PM
I agree to some extent about Elena's BH.

It's far less powerful, precise and accurate than her FH!
Nastya used to beat her by playing everything on her BH and it worked

But Elena's BH still improved a lot over the years. I watched her olympics final in 2000 a few weeks ago and was impressed with the weekness of this shot at that time!

hingisGOAT
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:56 PM

just a question. if elena's backhand is overrated, then how is she top 10? and it's not like she was #10 for a week, she's been up to 4 in the world and has been in the top 10 for the past two years...consecutively.

if we look at it objectively...she can't serve, she's not great at the net --- if her backhand truly sucks like you say, then what...she's top 10 because of her forehand and speed? that's it? she's fast and she has a good forehand, but i don't think that's enough for a solid top 10 player (and two time GS finalist) :confused:

i'm seriously asking. i want input from a non-fan. i just don't see how her ground game isn't the best (or one of the best) in women's tennis. she has to back up that serve with JUST her groundstrokes. it says a lot about her ground game that she's top 10 and beats the top players (including victories over the current top 3 within the past year...she's also taken out both belgians this year.)

i'm not saying her backhand is weak or bad, just that she doesn't have the same precision with her two-hander that the other top players have.

her forehand is excellent, as is her movement and fitness. her backhand is solid enough to help her win matches. i call it overrated, however, because people often say she has the best groundstrokes in women's tennis, without pointing out the enormous difference between her forehand and backhand. her forehand really is the cream of the crop -- and i wouldn't even say her backhand is top 5.

spencercarlos
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:24 PM

Mauresmo has a great topspin backhand indeed but i like Henin´s much better because on the offensive, Henin is just simply amazing, and can cope with power hitters on that side, while Mauresmo tends to defend while being attacked on that side.
I like Henin´s topspin backhand but i prefer Mauresmo´s slice backhand. :kiss:
These two players in some ways reminds me of Sabatini :p especially Amelie

No Name Face
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:37 PM
i'm not saying her backhand is weak or bad, just that she doesn't have the same precision with her two-hander that the other top players have.

her forehand is excellent, as is her movement and fitness. her backhand is solid enough to help her win matches. i call it overrated, however, because people often say she has the best groundstrokes in women's tennis, without pointing out the enormous difference between her forehand and backhand. her forehand really is the cream of the crop -- and i wouldn't even say her backhand is top 5.

ah, thanks for clarifying.
i agree.

Steffica Greles
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:42 PM
The Kuznetsova forehand.

I've heard it's a potent weapon, but whenever I've seen it I've been unimpressed. She climbs round her backhands to hit what looks to be a very ordinary shot.

And, believe it or not, I feel the Henin backhand is overrated. It's a great shot, but I've seen double-handed players with far more thrust from that side.

Beny
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:03 PM
The Kuznetsova forehand.

I've heard it's a potent weapon, but whenever I've seen it I've been unimpressed. She climbs round her backhands to hit what looks to be a very ordinary shot.

And, believe it or not, I feel the Henin backhand is overrated. It's a great shot, but I've seen double-handed players with far more thrust from that side.
Could you tell me some liabilities of that shot. I don`t like Sveta, but her forehand is one of the best(if not the best).I must admit it`s better(or more powerful) than Lena`s. Not much better but still better.....:shrug:

faste5683
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:24 PM
Amelie's backhand is beautiful to watch, but not as great as people make it out to be. I don't think justines backhand is overated, as people are now realising that her forehand is the shot that usually wins her matches.

I agree. The thing is, Justine and Amelie's topspin backhands are quite different. Amelie's swing tends to come across the ball more, (with a windshield wiper motion). Justine's back hand is more low to high old school (except for her grip, which is a bit extreme). This allows her to drive the ball with a tad more power and depth than Amelie.

Paul.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:27 PM
I agree. The thing is, Justine and Amelie's topspin backhands are quite different. Amelie's swing tends to come across the ball more, (with a windshield wiper motion). Justine's back hand is more low to high old school (except for her grip, which is a bit extreme). This allows her to drive the ball with a tad more power and depth than Amelie.

i think many people make the mistake of thinking that just because they are one handed backhands they must be the same. thats like saying all forehands are the same :shrug:

hablo
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
I don't recall people saying that Momo and Jhh have the same bh ? :scratch:

Paul.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
well obviously not devoted tennis fans like most of the people on this board.

faste5683
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:36 PM

And your point is?

!<blocparty>!
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
Martina Hingis' backhand since, like, 2001. It used to be SUCH a weapon, now, blah.
Justine and Amelie's single handers - Justines particulary, possibly the most overrated shot in the history of womens tennis for me.

!<blocparty>!
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'd say Dementieva's backhand was overrated if I knew anyone who rated it.

Steffica Greles
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:25 PM
Martina Hingis' backhand since, like, 2001. It used to be SUCH a weapon, now, blah.
Justine and Amelie's single handers - Justines particulary, possibly the most overrated shot in the history of womens tennis for me.

Yeah I agree about Hingis' backhand. I've not seen her dictating rallies with it since she's been back.

Kuznetsova's forehand and Hingis' backhand.

wally1
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:36 PM
i agree with those who are naming one-handed backhands. sure, they may be pretty, but a strong two hander will rip it to shreds :armed:Wow, I wonder how Mauresmo and Henin managed to make it to the Wimbledon final (not to mention also win RG and the Aus Open between them?) That's without even mentioning various ATP players who seem to get on OK without this seeming huge weakness - Federer, Gasquet, Haas, Ljubicic etc etc

LUIS9
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
Venus's backhand is way more erratic these days. Ever since her loss to Myskina at the French Open in 2004 it has been very unreliable in 90% of her matches. It may have to do with her wrist injuries or just a breakdown in technique and footwork or both.

Yes this is what the original poster may have suggested? From mid '98-mid '02
the Venus backhand was the most lethal and potent double handed backhand on tour. Not only was it lethal but extremely reliable. The last 2 or three years I think it has not been as sharp instead it's been quite erratic even during most of last year, even against Serena in the 05 miami quarters, her forehand actually won her that match. It's just so weird seeing Venus' backhand miss by so much.

Hingis' backhand too has not been the same overall since her comeback, it's had glimpses of her vintage potency but not enough.

LUIS9
Aug 1st, 2006, 12:51 AM
Yeah I agree about Hingis' backhand. I've not seen her dictating rallies with it since she's been back.

Kuznetsova's forehand and Hingis' backhand.

Ditto, look at post above.

Henin's backhand I've got to agree, her forehand is her money shot, while her backhand is just as effective on clay.