PDA

View Full Version : Why Daniela Hantuchova Is Not A Top Player

JackWalker
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:04 AM
I love Daniela, but I just realized why she is not a top player. Why she is not winning tournaments, slams, and beating top players. The reason is that she has not improved any aspect of her game since 2002. If anything I think she has gone down in form. I think Daniela of 2002 beats Daniela of 2006. Daniela of 2006 is unbeliably incosistant and constantly looses to players ranked below her. Amazing that she has not improved whatsoever in four years. :sad:

Randy H
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
Daniela's personal problems really pushed her back for a lot of 2003, and 2004. In 2005 she finally seemed to be showing more signs of life, and this year she's still been inconsistent, but she's also been able to get into the 4th round of all 3 slams this year which is definitely a good step forward.

I don't think Daniela's improved a whole lot in her game since 2002, she's a hard worker, but really the concentration is a problem for her, and I still want to see her implementing more in terms of using some of her all-court skills. She has the ability to do that, she showed she was quite capable of it even early in her career. I think a lot of it is just confidence building, believing again that she can use those things successfully, and still learning when to use the right shots at the right times.

That said, while I do think she is capable of getting her ranking into the top 10 again, you have to consider that in 2002 she was unknown to many people, and when people don't know your game, and you have nothing to lose, it seems to come a lot easier. No pressure, and people aren't after you. Now people know what to expect from Daniela, they know her weaknesses, and that's why it's all the more important that she adds to her game and really tightens up her concentration on the court.

Hopefully she can do it :)

Wiggly
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Daniela has a serious problem in her head. That's why. :sad:

Albireo
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:05 AM

And her movement is still a liability; she goes off-balance far too easily. Her forward movement is OK, but her lateral movement still needs a lot of work.

UncleZeke
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:23 AM
She was #5 WTA ranking in 2003. Doubt She'll ever see top 10 again. Comparing her with other top 10 candidates, her lack of overall quickness and endurance is her downfall. If I were her coach, two things I would suggest would be more weight training for strength and muscle endurance and to get her to stop the incessant bouncing she does at every conceivable opportunity in every match. She wastes hundreds of calories of energy in every match. Calories her slender body needs. Plant your feet more, do a wiggle.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:31 AM
She was #5 WTA ranking in 2003. Doubt She'll ever see top 10 again. Comparing her with other top 10 candidates, her lack of overall quickness and endurance is her downfall. If I were her coach, two things I would suggest would be more weight training for strength and muscle endurance and to get her to stop the incessant bouncing she does at every conceivable opportunity in every match. She wastes hundreds of calories of energy in every match. Calories her slender body needs. Plant your feet more, do a wiggle.

WTF? :confused:

She bounces so her feet are ready for the next point.

What are you talking about? :scratch:

UncleZeke
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:35 AM
Every one has to bounce some. She does it to excess. Even when she's not being served to.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Every one has to bounce some. She does it to excess. Even when she's not being served to.

She's trying to keep herself pumped and ready.

I never knew it was a crime. :shrug:

UncleZeke
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:44 AM
No, it's certainly not a crime. I think in her case it may be nervous energy. Being a big fan of her, I sure get disappointed with some of her results. What do you think she could do to get back to the top 10 ?

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:47 AM
No, it's certainly not a crime. I think in her case it may be nervous energy. Being a big fan of her, I sure get disappointed with some of her results. What do you think she could do to get back to the top 10 ?

She needs to work on her footwork and her movement. Shee needs to use the variety in her game more. She needs to be more consisent from the baseline and keep down the errors. She also must stay calm mentally and focus.

Andy.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM
She has a good all round game but she doesnt have that killer instinct that focus and her game is just not quite as good as the very best, they move a little better, hit a little harder and some have a more complete game.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 07:55 AM
She has a good all round game but she doesnt have that killer instinct that focus and her game is just not quite as good as the very best, they move a little better, hit a little harder and some have a more complete game.

She actually does have a killer instinct. She just hasn't unleashed it yet. ;)

Volcana
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Forget the previous top ten ranking, and the one tournament win. Look at her game. it's one dimensional to a fault. Hit cross-court, hit cross-court, hit down the line if the opponent falls over in a siezure. She can't volley well enough to come in off a deep approach shot. If she comes in at all, it's off a short ball. Her serve has pace, but it easy to read. She has no spins worth mentioning.

In short, she owes her ranking to her power. I don't see her game suddenly blossoming. It's too late in the day.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:07 AM
She can't volley well enough to come in off a deep approach shot.

She's one of the best volleyers on tour. :retard: Hence the reason she matched her career-high ranking of No.5 in the world in doubles this year again. :rolleyes:

Hit cross-court, hit cross-court, hit down the line if the opponent falls over in a siezure.

Don't forget that she can throw in drop shots and drop volleys here and there! :wavey:

Her serve has pace, but it easy to read.

Her serve is very good actually. When she's playing well like at the beginning of the year she was hitting quite a handful of aces in her matches. And they weren't because of sheer power, they were more about placement. ;)

I don't see her game suddenly blossoming. It's too late in the day.

It doesn't have to blossom. It's already there. Just a few kinks that need to be sorted out. You act as if she's ranked #105 in the world. :rolleyes:

Tis
Jul 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
What sort of problems she have?I know the divorce between her parents...but there is more than that?

AlanaStarr
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM
i really dont buy the whole "player personal problems" ...its just another excuse or cop out.

These players all come from relatively normal, stable homes, for the most part, secure financial situations...and i find it very very hard to believe that any of them could blame the way they play on there family life. Everyone has problems. Most tennis players have priveledged backgrounds and live in great bubbles.

Hantuchova has a great game, but her game falls apart, she stops fighting and she gives up...it confuses me really. Shes a pushover player who gives up. She should be in the top ten with the weapons shes got. But she isnt.

She is the only reason shes not in the top ten, she needs to fight more and focus on her game and less on her clothes. Shes not blessed with Serenas athleticism so she cant get away with half as much as serena.

vogus
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:08 PM

that's not why. Hantuchova is slower than a turtle on crutches. You can't be a top player when your movement is like that.

dany.p
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM
Forget the previous top ten ranking, and the one tournament win. Look at her game. it's one dimensional to a fault. Hit cross-court, hit cross-court, hit down the line if the opponent falls over in a siezure. She can't volley well enough to come in off a deep approach shot. If she comes in at all, it's off a short ball. Her serve has pace, but it easy to read. She has no spins worth mentioning.

In short, she owes her ranking to her power. I don't see her game suddenly blossoming. It's too late in the day.

I disagree with your first point. IMO Daniela has one of the best backhands down the line. This shot wins her a lot of points and she doesn't only hit it when her opponent falls "over in a seizure". Even if her opponent picks the shot, its still very hard to get back. Other then that, i pretty much agree with your post, especially in regards to her serve. Its no point having a fast serve, if it can be easily read (recently, something roddick could attest to).

Movement and mental strength are the 2 biggest flaws in her game, and saddly i don't see these improving at this stage in her career (although i hope i'm wrong).

Uranus
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:08 PM
I think it's all in her head too:
- Her motivation is sometimes questionable
- Her concentration
- Her weight problems
- The lack of "killer instinct"

That said, for seeing her play several times this year, I don't think she still has the game to be in the top 10 (even if I've seen bad matches like Antwerp vs. Savchuk, RG vs. Dechy & Wimbly vs. Henin-Hardenne). She has the talent to be ranked high, and that's why she is now.

But I'm still a fan, whatever happnens. She's still young and I think she still has a lot of things to show us on the court. :D

furrykitten
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Daniela has the power as others say its her mind

IceHock
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:20 PM
I agree with alot of what everyone is saying.She has the game to do well,but for her it's more about confidence and the unforced errors.The two biggest things I think in her game hurt her.She has a wicked dropshot and groundstrokes,it's just about getting them to come together for 1 match,which is hard to do for her,she needs to stop going for the lines so much and just drive the ball deep because that willget her opponents on their backfoot,then she can attack a short ball.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
i really dont buy the whole "player personal problems" ...its just another excuse or cop out.

It's not an excuse, it's reality. Because of the divorce she had trouble focusing on court. She already felt the pressure of backing up her 2002 season , but when the two most important people in your life and your career break the nest in half, it can cause serious damage, and it only adds to the stress.

Daniela was only 19 when her parents divorced, and that's hard on any 19 year old, but especially for her because she relied on them to help her career. The weight issue was a 19 year old's standard reaction to something like that happening in your life. She became a bit depressed. She started to overtrain which burned even more calories. Then she was always attacked by the media about her weight, So by then she has all of these things in the back of her mind when she's a so playing tennis and she can't concentrate anymore.

She started to lose matches, so she lost her confidence, and her ranking fell. It just was a bad time for her. She took the blows about anorexia from the media so that she'd protect her parent's from the media. But in 2004 she finally told the world what was going on in her personal life. If the divorce didn't happen she most likely would have kept progressing from No.5 in the world.

But since she had that "little bump" in the road, she had to rebuild and only last year did she start to show signs of life. She cracked the top 15 in the world again for the first time since 2003 this year. She is slowly getting back on her feet. If you read her interviews and stuff, then you know that she thinks she belongs in the top 10 and she believes that she will get back there. You have to believe before you can achieve.

It's not easy to do the things you once did after what happened to her career in 2003-2004. It takes time to regain your confidence and to be able to trust yourself and your game when it really matters.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think she is on a good track and i am very happy that she isnt mrs. collapse and cry anymore like she was in 2003-4 -- therefore, mentally she has restabilized herself, but still isn't that mentally tough when compared to the top players.

I remember her playing Clijsters last year in the semis or finals (i forgot) of a US OPen series event last year -- she lost the first set 6-4, but I really felt and so did the commentators, that she should have won that set because of her spectacular play and controlling the points -- but unfortunately, she could not convert on the important points.

So basically, since 2003-4, I feel she has improved dramatically, but unfortunately, it seems as if she has hit a plateau. I know she is working hard, however, she just needs to take her training and game strategies to the next level so that she can be in the top 10 again.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:48 PM
I remember her playing Clijsters last year in the semis or finals (i forgot) of a US OPen series event last year -- she lost the first set 6-4, but I really felt and so did the commentators, that she should have won that set because of her spectacular play and controlling the points -- but unfortunately, she could not convert on the important points.

That was in the finals of Los Angeles. :)

Yep, Daniela played some good tennis in the first set. But then when it really mattered she tried to finish points to quickly like with that drop shot towards the end of the first set. :o

jrm
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Others are better - simple as that