PDA

View Full Version : Best Year for women's tennis

supermann
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM
The best year ever to me is 1992. If that year were a drink, it would be the finest Italian wine.

Viktymise
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM
its hard to say, there have been chunks of many yrs which have been great than for other parts they have been poor, i really cant decide

Ksenia.
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Hard to choose.. Hmmm, maybe 2004 for me, russians won 3 GS including my fave Masha won Wim ;)

vwfan
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:07 PM
2005: the year of the veterans

and
Kim wins her first slam in impressive fashion;

Venus and Davenport compete in the longest Wimbledon final in the history of the tournament;

Mary Pierce retools her game and contests two slam finals; Davenport comes painfully close to getting another slam final before retiring.

Serena beats the "it girl" coming match point down to take the first slam of the year.

Cajcin
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:10 PM
The year those sisters retire. Yeah, that'll be my favorite year.

Cajcin
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Wtf!? Why all the bad reps? I meant those Clijsters sisters.

Perfection
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
2001 :worship:

speed!
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
2005 for me, the Venus Wimbledon comeback(and she didn't do too badly at the US either. I liked how the Belgians and the Williams asserted themselves again- was brilliant). I'd like to see them playing eachother a bit more though.

hingisGOAT
Jul 30th, 2006, 10:42 PM
lol @ 2005. :rolleyes: the players who won the slams barely played or won anything else :yawn: 'cept for clijsters' on ONE surface. boring as all hell -- whatever happened to rivalry?

the answer to this question is 1999. hingis/mauresmo, graf/hingis, lindsay/graf, serena/hingis -- 4 great slam finals with 4 great champions, all with different playing styles. also the level of tennis was fabulous. after '99, lindsay, hingis, graf etc. would slowly fade away, and before '99, the williams sisters weren't really into their own groove yet. some fantastic matches:

hingis/graf RG
venus/graf wimby
venus/kournikova wimby
serena/seles, hingis, lindsay USO
venus/hingis uso :bowdown:

among many, many others... compare that to say, this year, there have been very few 'classic' or even good matches.