PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open Series

seahawker
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Elena gets going in Carlsbad, Calif., this week as the No. 4 seed in the Acura Classic (they say it's in San Diego, but that's not quite true ... you have to travel north up the California coast a bit from San Diego to reach the tournament site at La Costa Spa and Resort, which is in Carlsbad, but I digress).....

Elena has the first-round bye and then gets the winner of Jill Craybas and Ashley Harkleroad. This is the same quarter as No. 5 seed Patty Schnyder who just finished second to Kim Clijsters at the Bank of the West Classic. Meghann Shaughnessy is also lurking, maybe third-round rematch like at Wimbledon. This is the bottom half of the draw where No. 2 is Maria Sharapova.

Cheers............ :wavey:

TiK-Tee
Jul 30th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Go Lena ;)

-Makiri-
Jul 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Good luck in singles and doubles(With Flavia) :D

miffedmax
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yes, here's to a great series culminating in a doubles title for Pennetieva!

Prizeidiot
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM
.... and a U.S Open win in SINGLES!

UDACHi
Aug 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
http://www.acuraclassic.com/Players/2006Gallery/7_31/pic10.jpg

Elena in SD. :)

seahawker
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:32 AM
Better luck in singles as Elena and Flavia are one and done:
Jankovic/Mattek (SCG/USA) d. (5) Dementieva/Pennetta (RUS/ITA) 63 63

seahawker
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Elena starts the play on Wednesday with a 10 a.m. PDT encounter with Ashley Harkleroad.

phoebec3p
Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
good luck elena!!

Dementinator
Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
get the job done!!!

UDACHi
Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/photogallery/sandiego/f_27.jpg

In San Diego again.

seahawker
Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM
Elena gets the victory over Harkleroad 6-2, 6-2 :bounce: :bounce:

Next up is the winner of Srebotnik vs. Mirza, who have yet to take the court as of this posting.

seahawker
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
It's three-set Thursday on the courts in Carlsbad where three of four opening matches of the third round at the Acura Classic went the distance (following a delay due to wet courts).

Elena got past Sanza Mirza 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 despite 10 double faults.

Next will be the quarterfinals against the winner of Schnyder vs. Suárez, which followed Elena's match on the Grandstand Court.

seahawker
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Elena's run in the Acura Classic came to a halt Friday with a 6-4, 6-3 loss :bigcry: :bigcry: to Patty Schnyder, who is on a bit of a roll herself.

This coming week is the JPMorgan Chase Open in Carson, Calif. Stay turned for updates. :wavey:

seahawker
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Elena is up to a 3 seed this week :woohoo: for the JPMorgan Chase Open at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

She's in the same half of the draw at No. 1 Maria Sharapova. :ras:

After her customary first-round bye, Elena will play the winner of Julia Schruff or a qualifier TBD. Doubles partner Flavia Pennetta is a possible quarterfinal opponent.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=/global/Pdfs/events/2006/losangeles_draws.pdf

seahawker
Aug 9th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Elena won her second-round match against Julia Schruff 6-2, 7-5 on Tuesday at the JPMorgan Chase Open in Carson, Calif.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Her third-round opponent on Thursday will be the winner of Paola Suarez and No. 14 seed Sharhar Peer.

Elena and Flavia Pennetta drew Amy Frazier and Jill Craybas (wild-card entry) in the first round of doubles.

Cheers........ :D

seahawker
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:45 PM
It took 1 hours, 43 minutes for Elena to get past Sharhar Peer 7-5, 6-3 in the third round at Carson, Calif.

Next in the quarterfinals will be Bethanie Mattek, a wild card entry who also took out Flavia Pennetta in the second round. Oooooooooo

Dementinator
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM
keep it going Lena!

seahawker
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Another three-set win, this time over Bethanie Mattek 4-6, 6-1, 6-1.
Semifinals await ....... Elena vs. Sharapova, 1 p.m. PDT Saturday. Be there.

-Makiri-
Aug 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah!!! :)

Breakaway
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Davai Lena :rocker2:

parn2257
Aug 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM
great job lena 7-5 6-2
hope you will do well vs Williams in final

Nadie
Aug 13th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Lena :inlove:
Now take the title!

mc8114
Aug 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Just stoping by to congratulate Lena for a great and deserved win!!!

I hope she can improve her 2004 and 2005 performances in the USO.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

seahawker
Aug 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Hooray for Elena!!! :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Elena will meet 16th-seeded Jelena Jankovic of Serbia and Montenegro, a 6-4, 6-3 upset winner over Serena Williams in today's final of the JPMorgan Chase Open in Carson, Calif. (2 p.m. PDT on ESPN2).

"I was playing with lots of patience," Dementieva said. "I wasn't trying to attack her from the first ball."

Of note from the Associated Press story: When Sharapova finally sent a backhand past the baseline as Dementieva squealed with delight and smiled at her boyfriend :fiery: , Buffalo Sabres forward Maxim Afinogenov. :smooch:

seahawker
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Quotes from our champion ... 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 over Jankovic for the JPMorgan Chase Open TROPHY!!! :bigclap: :clap2: :bigclap: :clap2: :bigclap:

"It's a very great feeling. It's great to be champion for one week. So many great players are playing this week, and Im the best one. I mean, wow! This is an amazing feeling. That's why Im working so hard, to feel this moment and hope to keep this moment. I hope this momentum will go forever." -- Los Angeles Times :lol:

Also from the LA Times:
Dementieva was so pleased that the smile hardly left her face during the
post-match news conference, even when answering the same old questions
about her serve six double faults to Jankovics five and the Grand Slam
drought.
"I feel like its just starting for me," said Dementieva, who won her
second title of 2006 and sixth in her career. "I feel I'm just getting to my best game, two finals. I just need one more step. I feel young enough and I
can make it in the future." :D

From the Orange County Register:
"I hope I'm becoming more consistent player," said Dementieva, who took
home a $95,500 check. :yippee: "My game is getting more solid. I've always had great results here -- two semis here and now finally the final and a big win today."

Said Dementieva: "She almost came back. It was very difficult, she came
so close to tying it 5-5. Then I started playing well. She was hitting hard
like she didnt care, hitting hard and everything was in. So it was very difficult to close this match."

Elena is projected to move from sixth to fifth when the WTA Tour
rankings are released Monday, her first time back in the top five since
July 2005. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Natalicious
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM
good job elena!!!

i saw the match and the third set was amazing!!! from 5:0 to 5:4!!!

but

CONGRATS ELENA to your 2nd title this year