PDA

View Full Version : Allentown PA $25K

auntie janie
Jun 1st, 2002, 01:06 PM
This event starts on June 11th (main draw). I am DEFINITELY going, at least one day, though I'd like to go more. Jackie Trail is playing. :D :D :D :D

martinafan
Jun 1st, 2002, 02:39 PM
OK, now I am confused....

someone in the birmingham thread is saying that Mirjana will be playing Birmingham this year, which is from the 10th June - the same time as allentown....

so, where is mirjana playing? i think playing here at allentown would be good for her...she needs to get some more matches and WINS under her belt.

kournikovafan13
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
She'll be playing Allentown, as she's used up all her 2002 maindraw wild cards.

paul_masterton
Jun 1st, 2002, 06:03 PM
she could get into birmingham qualifying.

Paul

auntie janie
Jun 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
I saw that thread, after I posted this. I bet Mirjana will play in the Birmingham qualies, instead of here, sad to say. I was planning to look for her sister and Mom and have a chat! :)

Oh well, I can always talk to Ashley Harkleroad's Dad. :o

SM
Jun 1st, 2002, 08:24 PM
birmingham quallies, followed by a win or two in main draw will do her confidence better than beating challenger circuit girls..she showed at the french she could do it on a tough surface

martinafan
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:48 AM
That's only if she can win the matches in birmingham quallies steve ;) ;)

ptkten
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
Good luck Jackie :)

Good luck Ashley too, I'm pretty sure she'll prob. play here since she's defending some points!

I wish I could go up one of these days, it would be a very interesting tourney to watch

gzimman
Jun 6th, 2002, 12:43 AM
One to watch for in Allentown is Katia Afinogenova. She is very nice, and pretty, and plays a very interesting game (sometimes).

Play well, Kat! And HAVE FUN!

auntie janie
Jun 6th, 2002, 10:32 AM
DARN IT, Mirjana's name has disappeared from the entry list. :sad: Ashley Harkleroad too. :(

Since these are the only two players most people have ever heard of, it might be harder now for me to find someone to go to Allentown with me! :mad:

Katia is still on the Qualy list, though. :)

neorules
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Where is the entry list Janie?

Alek
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:49 AM
neorules:

you can find the list here :) http://dps.altdc3.va.twimm.net/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_782.pdf

Top 8 seeds:
1- Nana Miyagi JPN
2- Jessica Fernandez MEX :D
3- Jacqueline Trail USA
4- Diana Ospina USA
5- Lindsay Lee-Waters USA
6- Jessica Steck RSA
7- Ma. Fernanda Alves BRA
8- Holly Parkinson USA

Scotso
Jun 7th, 2002, 08:15 AM
I don't have PDF on this computer... will Melissa Torres play? :D

VAMOS JESSICA! :D

auntie janie
Jun 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Yes, Melissa is indeed in the Main Draw list. If I see her, I will definitely root for her for you! (Already planning to root for Jessica). :) :)

I would love to paste the lists here for you, but I don't know how to copy from that format! :confused: :o
Also, it looks like my best hope for going may be part of one day of the qualies, and then, I hope, the semis. So I will miss most of the players altogether. :sad:

Scotso
Jun 7th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Thanks Janie!

For the info and for cheering for Meli :D

TULYAGAN
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:02 AM
GOOD LUCK TO FERNANDA ALVES!!!!!!
HOPE THAT SHE FINISH HER LOSING STREAK!!!!

GO NANDA AND MEXICAN GIRLS!!!!!!!!

TULYAGAN
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:04 AM
MELISSA TORRES FAN- WHERE IS MARIA JOSE LOPEZ????????????????????????
ZERENE REYES????
LOURDES LOPEZ??????

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Today I went to Allentown, becuase I thought today was June 9th, the first day of qualies. It is NOT the 9th, of course! :eek:

But I did meet Eva Wang and her Mom, & talked to her Mom for a while. They are really nice. Eva was there with USTA coach Tracy Green. Eva said she has not been playing many tournaments any more because she is going to Harvard in the fall. (Maybe she is playing this one becuase she lives in the general area, not far from where I live.) Eva turned down a full tennis scholarship at Stanford, because her Mom thought it would be too much pressure to play tennis whether she wanted to continue with it or not. Also her sister, former player Ivy Wang, is in a Masters degree program at Harvard, too, so the Mom thought that would be nice for Eva.

i saw other girls practicing but have no idea who they were. Eva's Mom did say that Eva got to hit with Mary Pierce at Bolletieri's over the winter. She said Jim Pierce was really nice. She likes Ashley Harkleroad's Dad, too.

So that was my day in Allentown. The moral of the story is. LEARN TO READ A CALENDAR before heading to a tournament! :rolleyes:

rated_next
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Poor Janie ;)

Alek
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TULYAGAN
MELISSA TORRES FAN- WHERE IS MARIA JOSE LOPEZ????????????????????????
ZERENE REYES????
LOURDES LOPEZ??????

Maria Jose is playing jrs, she has done "ok" losing only to strong players but still she can do much better. She is commited to play Frankfurt in jrs, and then 2 10k's in France.

Zerene Reyes :kiss: she's been playing in NCAA finished with a singles record of about 27-1. She wont play any ITF at least not untill September. She is studying in University and when she finishes she will see what she wants.

Lourdes Lopez :sad: got surgery in her shoulder last year and hasnt been able to play since then :( she should be back in the 10k's Mexican events in August but is only a "maybe"

Alek
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Janie :kiss:

Scotso
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Zerene :D

Rising Sun
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Janie, thanks for the news regarding Eva. :)

Yeah, I heard she was going to Harvard after reading an article. Does this mean she won't play tennis at Harvard? :confused:

amy2468
Jun 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Most athletes that go to Harvard for a sport play the sport there. My guess is her mom figured the tennis practices at Harvard would be shorter and less intense and there would be less pressure because their team is not as good. Also, at Harvard the athletes tend to focus on academics more.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 9th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Poor Janie :kiss: so you gonna go again ;)

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Eggy, I am going to try.:)

As for Eva, yes she will be on the tennis team at Harvard, but Harvard, like all the Ivy League schools, does not give anyone athletic scholarships. So if she feels like quitting the team, she can; she is not contracted to keep playing.
I am definitely going to follow that Harvard team now.

The USTA Entry Sheet has not been updated yet to show the information we got from Jo ...

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 9th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Have fun today Janie! :)

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2002, 06:09 PM
VSFan1,
I can't go today, but am hopeful for the semis on Saturday, and possibly Wednesday or Thursday as well. :)

Monica_Rules
Jun 9th, 2002, 06:40 PM
any news on draws?

auntie janie
Jun 9th, 2002, 06:55 PM
No, darn it! I called them on Aceman's behalf, & spoke to onsite USTA person. She said that Aceman is on their e-mail list, and if not, they will add him; they are familiar with his site. So I hope they will send something to him later today.

Becool
Jun 9th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Good luck Jessica Fernandez and Maria Fernanda Alves :)

Melissa Torres is playing here too???? :D Go Meli too :)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Bummer Janie!