PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting Lindsay news

Lindsayfan32
Jul 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Here is an article that might interest alot of you. Rumour has it that Lindsay didn't pull out of Wimbledon because of the back inury she's had since March. Here is the bit of the article concerning Lindsay. If you would like to read the full article you will find the link at the end of this post.

As for the American women, long the game’s dominant bloc, the top-ranked player is Lindsay Davenport (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/lindsay_davenport/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who started the year at No. 1 and has dropped to No. 10.
Davenport, who turned 30 last month, has not played on tour since March, citing a back injury. But she withdrew from Wimbledon, where she reached the final in 2005, because of a different health problem. After resuming training in her native California before Wimbledon, she fell at home and sustained a concussion along with other as-yet-unconfirmed injuries.

In an e-mail message forwarded by her agent, Tony Godsick, Davenport confirmed that she had injured herself in the fall but did not give details. She has resumed practicing in preparation for the United States Open but is not ready to give a date for a comeback.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/sports/tennis/12tennis.html

PatrickRyan
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:15 AM
wow that's really sad, i hope she gets better soon!!!

mike/topgun
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
After resuming training in her native California before Wimbledon, she fell at home and sustained a concussion along with other as-yet-unconfirmed injuries.
:(

lindsayno1
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
stupid qn but as im not american i wouldn know, but is the nytimes reputable? If so, poor Lindsay!!!!

Lindsayfan32
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
stupid qn but as im not american i wouldn know, but is the nytimes reputable? If so, poor Lindsay!!!!

Its a fair question but I think they are and if Lindsay injured herself let's hope it wasn't the back again and she alright to play during hte hardcourt season.

mike/topgun
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
NYTimes is reputable, and I'm afrad the next news we'll hear could be about either retirement, or another injury.
My hopes of seeing Lindsay again on court are:tape: LOW.

vw.
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Lindsay.. :( Get better soon!

Andrew..
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yes, along with the LA Times, they are the most trustworthy papers in the US.

The NY Post on the other hand... :tape:

Andrew..
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM
NYTimes is reputable, and I'm afrad the next news we'll hear could be about either retirement, or another injury.
My hopes of seeing Lindsay again on court are:tape: LOW.
That's stupid. Really, really stupid. If anything, this news is good. It shows that her back is better, and that what kept her from Wimbledon was a temporary things which she can, will and has recovered from.

At this point, I fully expect to see her at the California hardcourt events.

MH0861
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
That's stupid. Really, really stupid. If anything, this news is good. It shows that her back is better, and that what kept her from Wimbledon was a temporary things which she can, will and has recovered from.

I agree. That sounded scary, though.. I'm glad it wasn't as serious as it could have been.

tennisboi
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Poor Lindsay:sad:If it's true it's very unfortunate that she withdrew from Wimbledon because she fell and got a concussion.Good to hear she's back training though

The Daviator
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
So if she didn't fall she might have been at Wimbledon :(

Surely she's due a break sometime soon!

Andrew..
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
OMG I hope she shows up at Stanford with a black eye.

DRAMA.

mike/topgun
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Well, do we know anything more about whether she did hurt her back or sustained something else apart from the concussion? NO. There's a possibility that she sustained other injuries.
So, maybe I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I hope you're right. Believe me that I really do hope Lindsay's coming back soon, but every news we get is neither a statement from Lindsay herself, nor a clear view of her actual injury. And it's been almost 4 months since she played her last match, and it's been alomst a month since she fell, but we know this only now.
She has resumed practicing in preparation for the United States Open but is not ready to give a date for a comeback.
What may mean she's not ready to play Stanford, SD, cos it's only in 2 weeks time now, or it means nothing, but it certainly doesn't meran she's 100% fit, ready to go.

tennisboi
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
So if she didn't fall she might have been at Wimbledon :(

Surely she's due a break sometime soon!

Has any other player in the history of the game ever had such bad luck?:rolleyes:

mike/topgun
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Has any other player in the history of the game ever had such bad luck?
Name Monica Seles.

Andrew..
Jul 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Well, do we know anything more about whether she did hurt her back or sustained something else apart from the concussion? NO. There's a possibility that she sustained other injuries.
So, maybe I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I hope you're right. Believe me that I really do hope Lindsay's coming back soon, but every news we get is neither a statement from Lindsay herself, nor a clear view of her actual injury. And it's been almost 4 months since she played her last match, and it's been alomst a month since she fell, but we know this only now.

What may mean she's not ready to play Stanford, SD, cos it's only in 2 weeks time now, or it means nothing, but it certainly doesn't meran she's 100% fit, ready to go.
If she sustained any other serious injury, she wouldn't be training right now.

lindsayno1
Jul 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I hope she plays. Wasnt expecting THIS! She was probably watching the Safina v Sharapova match when it happened ;)

The Daviator
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I hope she plays. Wasnt expecting THIS! She was probably watching the Safina v Sharapova match when it happened ;)

:haha:

LUXXXAS
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:40 PM
urgh Lindsay :(

chadman569
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
YIKES!!! That is very scary! Hopefully she will recover in time for the US Open. She needs a little bit of good fortune at SOME point in her life. Maybe the magic will return at the Open. :bowdown: Lindsay!!!

Chad

MH0861
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Name Monica Seles.

LOL I'm absolutely shocked you didn't use a whole paragraph to say this. ;)

Andrew..
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Lindsay is 30. Lindsay is not playing Stanford. Or San Diego. Or New Haven. Or the US Open. Lindsay probably broke her arms, legs, and pelvic bone. She is also pregnant with twins. Lindsay's name is Lindsay. Lindsay is married. Lindsay is a successful businesswoman. At 30.

lindsayno1
Jul 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
what?!

Kelly
Jul 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM
lol....this place cracks me up. full of queens and divas j/k

as for Lindsay...hope she is ok..sounds worrying as she wont confirm her injurys to even her agent my first thoughts were that she was preggers and the fall caused....well u can figure it out. Hope she is ok though. love ya linds! xx

lindsayno1
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
i bet this story has now got SO far from the truth!

mike/topgun
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
indeed
and the only thing we know is that she resumed practising:bounce:

Andrew..
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
What are you talking about. I believe the newspaper. She fell. She's hitting. End.

tennisboi
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Name Monica Seles.

Good point

The Daviator
Jul 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Where did she fall from? The roof? :confused:

If it's just slip in the bath or down the stairs, then surely she's ok, she's an athlete, not an 80-year old, anyway, I'm trying to be positive :lol: She'll be in Stanford! Even if it's only to participate in the wheelchair event :rolleyes:

mike/topgun
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
She'll be in Stanford! Even if it's only to participate in the wheelchair event
With her great hands she'd actually win it with ease.
Where did she fall from? The roof?
I guess her agent is not as far concerned as that.

lindsayno1
Jul 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM
What are you talking about. I believe the newspaper. She fell. She's hitting. End.

im talking about kelly!

jacs
Jul 14th, 2006, 05:14 AM
lol....this place cracks me up. full of queens and divas j/k

:lol:

Kelly
Jul 15th, 2006, 12:17 AM
well it does seem a little suss she wont confirm her injurys....hell...at this rate the wta might impose a fine on her for not declairing them to them. or should we be allowed to know that she fell...i actually thought today 'i wish lindsay would retire then tennis can fuck off'....the wta just get more ridiculous each day

mike/topgun
Jul 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Kelly
the wta just get more ridiculous each day
No, it doesn't. Some people actually like it as it is now, than it was f.e. in 1998-2001 period.:tape:
It seems, we're just not used to watch Mauresmo winning 2 slams in a year, Nadia swipping 3 titles in a row, with Lindsay, Mary, Monica, Jen, Serena virtualy retired.
It's just not as exciting as it used to be.:tape: NO surprises.

Andrew..
Jul 15th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The WTA blows right now. It's at its lowest state since 1997.

mike/topgun
Jul 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew..
The WTA blows right now. It's at its lowest state since 1997.
True, but it seems, that's not everyone thinks. I guess, some people just don't like competition. While SPORT is all about competition.
Then in '97 it was interesting to see the new champ with a new style of play, while the old champs were in slump, again some new babes like Anna emerged, the ones like Spirlea, Zvereva bitching around, etc. It was the year of transition, but the level wasn't low at all. The tour was changing. Now it's in a slump, with most quality players absent.

PS.Don't know if I'll be following WTA as much, when Lindsay actually retires, cos though I've got some other active favourites, the tour's been such a snooze fest lately. Chocking is a part of the game, but it's funny when chokers win. Give credit to them.
NO surprises, though.

Andrew..
Jul 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't say it's not surprises as much as it is a low-quality choke-fest in most major matches involving top players. Most non-top 20 players crap their pants at the thought of even taking a set off of the top players. See: Camerin vs. Sharapova. Also, the best players aren't winning slams. Slams are all about the last player standing now.

mike/topgun
Jul 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew..
Also, the best players aren't winning slams. Slams are all about the last player standing now.
Then who the hell wins slams? The strongest athlete at time?
So, now we're gonna wait for some injuries to come, cos playing and winning too many events often ends with an injury. Those are the rules.

Kelly
Jul 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM
well seeing as i like momo i have no problem wih her winning 2 slams....and just cos she doesnt bash the hell out of a ball and plays a different game to most of the top 20 its good. Tennis needs divesity...the big basher against the thinkers etc...ie lindsay v martina et al....i used to enjoy reading the post match interviews but now its all so...high school. yes i know most of these girls are young but....so god damn boring. 2006, the year tennis died.

dav abu
Jul 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I hope you won't be proven right Kelly but I'm starting to think the same way about 06 :sad:

Lindsayfan32
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:01 PM
well seeing as i like momo i have no problem wih her winning 2 slams....and just cos she doesnt bash the hell out of a ball and plays a different game to most of the top 20 its good. Tennis needs divesity...the big basher against the thinkers etc...ie lindsay v martina et al....i used to enjoy reading the post match interviews but now its all so...high school. yes i know most of these girls are young but....so god damn boring. 2006, the year tennis died.

Kelly you are right. Lindsay can't retire this year as we can't have Lindsay and Andre going in the same year can you imagine what press conferences would be like and I read tennis sites first thing in the morning the intelect of tennis would go down to nothing. Also I agree with you we do need diversity. It's the reason I've followed tennis for so long that and I used to play it.

lindsayno1
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Then who the hell wins slams? The strongest athlete at time?

hence why lindsay hasnt won one since 2000

Andrew..
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Lindsay's problems at slams aren't because of her health. It's all mental.

lindsayno1
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:51 PM
id class 'strong' as being mental and physical, hence why she hasnt won one

The Daviator
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:55 PM
What I can't get my head around is why she is entering into events, if she has no intention of playing? That doesn't seem right, so there must be some form of hope left in her, otherwise she'd take the summer off and make an announcement in September or something :shrug:

Andrew..
Jul 15th, 2006, 11:58 PM
What I can't get my head around is why she is entering into events, if she has no intention of playing? That doesn't seem right, so there must be some form of hope left in her, otherwise she'd take the summer off and make an announcement in September or something :shrug:
She entered alot of these events back in the spring.

lindsayno1
Jul 16th, 2006, 12:00 AM
and the WTA have a lot to answer for. They keep the big names in until the last minute to help ticket sales

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2006, 01:00 AM
She entered alot of these events back in the spring.

I see, well, I guess no news is good news at this point, if she's pregnant surely she wouldn't hesitate to make an announcement, and if she's chronic with something then I'd expect the same...

It sucks either way :(

Justeenium
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Lindsay :sad: