PDA

View Full Version : Mary at Acura Classic!!!

MPStylee
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Serena, Davenport, Petrova, Pierce set for Acura

By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
July 11, 2006
A nice little tennis tournament, Wimbledon. Of course, its women's field this year did not measure up to what they're going to have at the Acura Classic.
Because of injuries, Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Nadia Petrova and Mary Pierce were nonparticipants during the recent fortnight in London. Players can change their minds, but those four are down to compete at the La Costa Resort and Spa in the WTA Tour event scheduled July 29-Aug. 6.

One blight on the Acura: The Wimbledon champion won't be participating. Amelie Mauresmo makes it her practice to vacation in the south of France during the first week of August. She twice has shown up at La Costa and twice has lost in the first round, which might have something to do with why she has not entered this time.
The Acura's defending champion is Pierce, who has been idled since February by an inflammation in her right foot. But Raquel Giscafre of Promotion Sports Inc., which operates the Acura, said she has been advised that Pierce intends to make the $1.34 million tournament at La Costa the occasion of her return to the tour. “I think we will have a better field than Wimbledon,” Giscafre said.

Davenport withdrew from Wimbledon because of a back problem, but Giscafre said the Southern California woman is entered in the Stanford tournament preceding the Acura. Davenport is a two-time winner at La Costa (1998, 2004) and can be expected to return unless her back is troubling her excessively.

Having triumphed at Doha, Amelia Island, Charleston and Berlin, Petrova would have been among the favorites at Wimbledon had she been able to play. A muscle injury suffered while yielding to Akiko Morigami in the opening round of the French Open eliminated her in London, where she likely would have been available if doctors in Great Britain were willing to prescribe cortisone injections.

With the exception of Grand Slam events, the Williams sisters generally have not presented themselves together, but Venus is a three-time Acura champion and Serena has accepted a wild card into this year's draw that was awarded at her agent's suggestion. Giscafre said her understanding is that Serena has been working industriously at her Florida base preparing to rejoin the tour at a $175,000 event beginning July 17 in Cincinnati.
By Giscafre's count, 22 of the 24 top-ranked women have entered the Acura.

Sund7101
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Great news! And I love the Acura Classic, plus Mary has had great success there! :)

ashwu
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM
acura~

RJWCapriati
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Can't wait to see Mary defend!!!!

Mark Spruce
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I am so happy about this.

I nearlly missed my plane to the Falklands becuase of Mary in the final last year LOL. I was watching the match on TV in Mexico City in the airport, and i wanted to see Mary get the last point, and it was like last boarding notice and my name I think LOL

Mark

safinfans629
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
a exciting news Mary should win this tournament again

ashwu
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I am so happy about this.

I nearlly missed my plane to the Falklands becuase of Mary in the final last year LOL. I was watching the match on TV in Mexico City in the airport, and i wanted to see Mary get the last point, and it was like last boarding notice and my name I think LOL

Mark

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir David Pierce
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Sorry, but the news of retiring on www.wimbleden.org must be obviously wrong and I am so glad, that she'll comeback soon.

See you

Dave

zibaas
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
uhuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

:bounce:

vanillalatte
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
do you really think she's gonna play?
i mean, if yes, that would be wonderful.
but we had the same with Roland Garros, Wimby, Fed Cup etc etc..
i hate myself for being so negative :o

Please, Mary - play.

zibaas
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Marie91, we didnīt have the same confirmation
especially in WB
now, its official i think ;)

vanillalatte
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
i'm not sure..
she could withdraw again..

but i stop being negative now.

:woohoo: go Mary!

Mark Spruce
Jul 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Oh that is great !!!!!!! LOL

Lets all be positive and happpy for Mary.

Oh hopefully when I do see Mary this weekend. i will say hello from all of her fans here oK

Mark

but i stop being negative now.

:woohoo: go Mary!

Wizzy Maryfan
Jul 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
do you really think she's gonna play?
i mean, if yes, that would be wonderful.
but we had the same with Roland Garros, Wimby, Fed Cup etc etc..
i hate myself for being so negative :o

Please, Mary - play.

i AGREE, there's nothing official and I won't believe anything since I see Mary on court ...

Just hope she'll be back soon, she's out since 5 months now ... :confused:

vanillalatte
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Oh hopefully when I do see Mary this weekend. i will say hello from all of her fans here oK

Mark

yes!! :D

i'm sure Mary will be there.

Mark Spruce
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
official and mary out court.

I could not a gree more with you

Mark

Mark Spruce
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I am praying like mad for it

Mark

yes!! :D

i'm sure Mary will be there.

Wizzy Maryfan
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Mary reviens, Maaaary reviens,
Mary reviens parmi les tiens ... :tape:

squig2k
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
omg omg omgg mary!! i am so happy now, i so hope she can make it!!!

squig2k
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
'By Giscafre's count, 22 of the 24 top-ranked women have entered the Acura.'

:eek: should be amazing! perfect for marys return

squig2k
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:36 PM
lol mark i see you've changed your flag to france :wavey:

rsunderji
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM
great news! great. Especially after all that retirement nonsense. Allez Mary!