PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Lindsay match you saw that made you a fan

Lindsayfan32
Jul 11th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I was on gm and found a thread that asks what was the first match you ever saw of your faverite player and it got me thinking (that hurt). What was the first match you ever saw that made you a Lindsay fan.

Me it was the women's hard court final in Brisbane Lindsay play Labat and won 6-2 2-6 6-3 and then I went to the oz open and watched all her matches there and I've been hooked ever since.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Australian Open 2000 Final!!

Lindsay is just breezing through until a comeback attempt of Hingis, but Linds keep punching her!!

Lindsayfan32
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM

Lindsay is just breezing through until a comeback attempt of Hingis, but Linds keep punching her!!

Yes I was sitting in a pub watching this match as I lived in a small country town at the time with crap tv reception at home and when it got close the owner thought I was mad when it comes to Lindsay and close ish matches I am mad.

mike/topgun
Jul 11th, 2006, 11:06 PM
that was a good match

First time I saw Lindsay at Atlanta olympics, but thought she was too big to win majors, so I continued to cheer for Graf.:p
Then I didn't follow tennis that much, cos Graf and Agassi were out, and I was playin both volleyball and tennis in a club for 2 years, but it didn't work out.
I started to follow tennis more again in '99.
Then I saw a match in Sydney, probably semis, and Lindsay was looking FIT and beat Graf covincingly. So, back then I thought she's was a great player, well she was n1.:p Her strokes, serve, volleys were so fluid that it looked like the easiest thing on earth. And those great hands, and pure strikes. I thought she was the female Agassi:lol:, only taller with better serve....well she was moving kinda slow, but I saw the SMART GAMEPLAN she used to cover those lacks of mobility. And she was really dynamic and aggressive back then, placed her shots in ther corners, so it seemed like the classic tennis style.

PS. Definitely, the highlight of her career, the last classic she's won, was the IW final Vs Hingis in 2000. It was the last big event (for more than 64 players draw) she's won. And I though it was only the begining...

tennisfan2480
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:42 AM
First match I fell in love with her in was Her beating Venus in 2004 Stanford. She had such fight!!!!

santhuruu
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I became a late Davenport fan, ofcourse my biggest favourits are the Williams sisters, but when I heard in 2004 that Davenport might retire, I kind of became a fan of her, really starting at the Stanford 2004 final.

Lindsayfan
Jul 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Us Open 1998, semifinal vs Venus. It was love at first sight!

MH0861
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
1997 US Open QF.. Davenport def. Novotna 7-6 in the third.

The Daviator
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
2000 Wimbledon QF, vs. Seles :)

Kimmi
Jul 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I have a vague recollection of watching her win Wimbledon, but it was before I was really into tennis. But it is the earliest match I can remember so I think that is why I am a fan :)

LUXXXAS
Jul 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Philadelphia 1999 SF (?) against Venus :) Venus' ass was nicely kicked:) and Lindsay beat Martina in the final next day:) and next week she won Chase Championships...

LindsayRulz
Jul 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM
During the 2000 Wimbly Final

lindsayno1
Jul 13th, 2006, 10:20 AM
i THINK it was wimbledon 99

vw.
Jul 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
First time saw her was US Open 2002 in the Semis losing to Serena.
I became a fan after the 2003 Wimbledon Quarterfinal losing to Venus. :D

Kelly
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
saw her win the olympics thats when i first saw her...then the us open 98 got me hooked

jacs
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
FO 98 I think... or USO 98

Frederic
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I don't exactly remember which match it was, but I remember I began cheering for Lindsay when a lot of sport journalists said that Anna Kournikova was better than Lindsay. I told myself it is absolutely unfair to make that kind of judgment just because Anna is more pretty... So I began following Lindsay since about 1998. But the first Lindsay's match I could entirely see was the semi in Zurich against Justine Henin in 2002. Pure strikes, so fluid and easy ( to me,the best double handed backhand so far on the tour), enormous services on the lines, and a real powerful game that impressed me a lot. The game she plays is soooo risky, and often successful, a game I enjoy watching compared to Arantxa's or Conchita's I used to see... What I also like is her attititude. Lindsay is sooo fair play, respectful to her opponent, and her humility, the fact she doesn't like to be under the highlights, she is also soooo approachable. Then I became a huge fan of Lindsay and followed all the matches broadcasted on tv and recorded them.

thelittlestelf
Jul 25th, 2006, 03:11 AM
2003 Wimbledon R1 was the first match I ever saw of hers (as 2003 Wimbledon was really the first tournament that I had ever been extremely wrapped up in), and immediately after that I became a fan of hers, although she didn't play well at all.

tennisboi
Jul 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM
2000 Wimbledon QF, vs. Seles :)

What a coincidence that was the same match where i fell in love with Lindsay:)

GrandSlam05
Jul 26th, 2006, 04:10 AM
2004 USO R16 where she beat Queen Vee 7-5 6-4. That was when I really started watching women's tennis and I was hooked on Lindsay immediately. Great tournament until, you know.

Elske
Jul 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Wimbledon 99 - Quarterfinal :) :worship:

shirley
Jul 29th, 2006, 07:56 PM
*thinks*

You know I can't quite remember the exact match. It was definitely one of the tournaments used as warm-up for the US Open and I think she was playing Martina. It was after Lindsay won Wimbledon in 1999 and I took to her because she was one of the very few players (at the time) who could beat Martina and that won me over!

adamaglaia
Aug 12th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I wasn't a fan of Lindsay until I saw the match of her playing Justine Henin-Hardenne in Aussie Open 2004. She was about to start her prominence in the coming-up tournaments at that time, and she had a significant year of 2004. I become a fan of Lindsay because she is the most dedicated and respectable fighter of the game.