PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon has the best finals

GoDominique
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
... and that's why it is the best and most prestigious Grand Slam. :)

There has never been a real stinker in the final. And those matches who came close were still memorable because of historic and remarkable achievements, like Navra's 9th victory (1990), Steffi's awesome performance (1992), Novotna's emotional win (1998) or Maria's flawless play (2004).

Wimbledon champions will always be remembered. :worship:

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I prefer the US Open. It has the best atmosphere.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Love your avatar :hearts:

Libertango
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Well it does have stinkers for finals (e.g Steffi-Monica 1992) but you're right, some of the best finals have taken place there in the last 10 years, men and women. It seems to consistently produce high quality tennis in the finals almost every year.

!<blocparty>!
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Grass is the best surface for good womens tennis. Clay is just ugly. The faster the better.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:24 PM

what atmosphere :tape: :tape:

Kart
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
There has never been a real stinker in the final. And those matches who came close were still memorable because of historic and remarkable achievements, like Navra's 9th victory (1990), Steffi's awesome performance (1992), Novotna's emotional win (1998) or Maria's flawless play (2004).

You can put that kind of spin on any grand slam final if you grasp at enough straws.

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
what atmosphere :tape: :tape:

Night matches. Also far less subdued than Wimbledon.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM

I agree kind of. I think US OPen and Wimbledon have had the best Semis but the finals at the US Open haven't been good. If it's a really tight match, I think the US Open would create a better, more intense atmosphere than Wimby... but, in recent memory, Wimby has had the best finals, easily.

!<blocparty>!
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
If it's a really tight match, I think the US Open would create a better, more intense atmosphere than Wimby... but, in recent memory, Wimby has had the best finals, easily.

I disagree. The USO has a fantastic atmosphere with great matches, agreed, but it can't beat the Centre Court atmosphere when a match of similar quality happens. Wimbledon 2005 final was just... I can't decribe how incredible the atmosphere was. You wouldn't get something THAT special at the USO.

A lot of players would say the same thing.

SelesFan70
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Night matches. Also far less subdued than Wimbledon.

Agreed! Night matches! :worship:

Infiniti2001
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Yada, yada!! Love your custom title and avatar GoDom :wavey: :haha: