PDA

View Full Version : An interesting correlation between Mauresmo and Novotna

TS
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Both Amelie and Jana brokethrough and won the season ending championships (Jana in '97, and of course Amelie last year), and won Wimbledon the following year.

I guess these are two players that were constantly hounded by sections of the media (and tennis fans) for their inability to perform at the highest level in pressure situations and big matches, and once they took that big step of winning the prestigious YEC, it just seemed to pay off for them and give them that extra confidence to get that Slam monkey off their back.

Morrissey
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Also Jana and Amelie are both lesbians as well. The lesbians have dominated Wimbledon since the 1960s.

Brooklyn90
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM
go lesbians!!!

Reuchlin
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Lol at the Lesbian comments haha. :lol: :lol:

MinnyGophers
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:42 AM
There is something else actually.

They both won Wimby when the French soccer team was in the world cup finals the next day.

TS
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Oooh lesbians(!), soccer(!), there's more to this than I thought :cool: hehe

1handedwonder
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:46 AM
well, venus and serena arent lesbians???:confused:

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I don't think Amelie would be in Jana's league. :o BTW, Jana looked leaner and taller(?) in her doubles match than she had when she was competing.

Robbie.
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM
well, venus and serena arent lesbians???:confused:

Or Lindsay or Hingis or Graf or Evert or Sharapova :p

UncleZeke
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
What the heck..Lesbians RULE !!

spencercarlos
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Both Amelie and Jana brokethrough and won the season ending championships (Jana in '97, and of course Amelie last year), and won Wimbledon the following year.

I guess these are two players that were constantly hounded by sections of the media (and tennis fans) for their inability to perform at the highest level in pressure situations and big matches, and once they took that big step of winning the prestigious YEC, it just seemed to pay off for them and give them that extra confidence to get that Slam monkey off their back.
Interesting enough is that these players are labeled as mentally weak, well you can add Gabriela Sabatini and Kim Clijsters as players that are/were mentally weak but as correlation they won the Masters first than a grand slam. The same applies to Jana and Mauresmo.
;)

samn
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Interesting enough is that these players are labeled as mentally weak, well you can add Gabriela Sabatini and Kim Clijsters as players that are/were mentally weak but as correlation they won the Masters first than a grand slam. The same applies to Jana and Mauresmo.
;)

Are you suggesting that Clijsters will end up with just one Grand Slam singles title as Sabatini did?

Marcus1979
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
can't be ruled out

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM
go lesbians!!!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Andy.
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Are you suggesting that Clijsters will end up with just one Grand Slam singles title as Sabatini did?
Well she only has 5 more chances to change that.

fifiricci
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Well she only has 5 more chances to change that.

Thats what scares and dismays me about the retirement deadline Kim has set herself. I'm a fan who thinks that she is too good for one slam wondership but the clock she set herself is ticking away. It's a shame, but her decision, so that's it. She's had an indifferent season so far (I cant remember the last time she got to this point with only 1 tournament win to her credit) and will have to do very well indeed to defend the USO. I hope she can do it, but she isn't going to be in the list of top favourites, I fear.

crazillo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
It's right, but actually has been poibted out before.

Though I think that Jana should have won a lot more Slams, while I don't think that Mauresmo should win like 5 more or so...

Both were also attacking. Jana was funnier in her interviews though. :lol:

MistyGrey
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM
also they both beat Mary in the final of the YEC.

dav abu
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I agree Cellophane about Novotna looking even more fit than when she was playing. We went to a few of her matches and couldn't believe how well she was looking - she looks as fit and even fitter than a lot of current players. The Jana - Amelie stories definitely have a link and when Amelie fell to her knees on match point it reminded me very much of Jana's celebration. They are both so nice to their fans as well :)