mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:37 AM
In 2010, we will probably be missing the following players from tour:

Lindsay Davenport
Mary Pierce
Kim Clijsters
Patty Schnyder

and we might be missing the following players
Venus Williams (will be 30 and a billionaire businesswoman)
Serena Williams (will be 29 and probably will have won an Oscar)
Amelie Mauresmo (she will be 31)

Justine Henin-Hardenne will be 28 and Martina Hingis will be 30. Essentially, the current crop of top players will be mostly obsolete. As the current top players are all in their early to mid twenties, and as the next generation will be replacing them in a transition period (we are not in a transition period at the moment,) it follows that the next crop of top ten players can be found among players that are currrently under 20 years old. Players that are still in their early twenties (21/22) and are in the top fifteen or twenty already also have a real chance at being top ten. Players who are 21/22 and not ni the top twenty probably don't have a real chance because there are younger players with more room to improve. Going by the basic rule of thumb that consistent top ten players reach the top fifty by the time they are 20 years old, we gain the following set of possible contenders:

1. Maria Sharapova 19, ranked 4
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova 21, ranked 6
3. Nicole Vaidisova, 17, ranked 13
4. Anna Lena Groenefeld, 21, ranked 16
5. Dinara Safina, 20, ranked 17
6. Maria Kirilenko, 19, ranked 20
7. Ana Ivanovic, 18, ranked 22
8. Shahar Peer, 19, ranked 24
9. Tatiana Golovin, 18, ranked 33
10. Anna Chakvetadze, 19, ranked 34
11. Sania Mirza, 19, ranked 38
12. Michaella Krajicek, 17, ranked 39
13. Lucie Safarova, 19, ranked 40
14. Na Li, 24, ranked 30 (but Chinese and was retired for 3 years)
15. Vania King, 17, ranked 88
16. Alexa Glatch, 16, ranked 243 (but played solidly at Forest Hills and won a match at the US Open as a 15 year old, has been injured since Indian Wells, but won her first come back event, a 10K...seems like a real prospect)
17. Sesil Karatancheva--was ranked in the top 40 as a 15 year old

I just threw in Alexa because I have a gut feeling about her--the same one I had about Maria and Nicole (and no one else lol,) and because I'm a big fat biased American:lol: .

Justine is going to stay damn near the top if she doesn't like...destroy herself.

Amelie...I think she's going to be retired. I can't see her playing at 31. She's too well rounded and rooted in reality.

Kim will probably have like 10 kids by then.:lol: I don't think she will come back, personally.

Martina...I feel as if she will be retired. I feel as if Martina came back to win one or two more grand slams. Unfortunately, her game relies on being super quick, and I just don't think she can be as fast as she needs to be when she's 30 years old. Players typically have remained in the top ten after 27 only when they have big, powerful weapons. She won't be top ten.

Maria and Sveta are pretty much obvious locks in the top ten. It would be very hard to convince me that either will get worse with age.

I do not think Elena will be top ten. Just like Martina, Elena relies on her movement. Her big shots are nullified by her attackable serve. I think she is a lock in the top ten as long as she can stay one of the five fastest players on tour, but, as soon as she loses that step or step and a half, she will fall to the top fifteen or twenty range, in my opinion. I think that will happen right around 2010 actually. Basically, she'll be on the edge.

I do not think Nadia will be top ten. She will be 28. I think she will definitely be top twenty still, but she is not Lindsay Davenport.

I think Venus and Serena will officially have retired by then.

Anastasia Myskina said she wanted to retire by 25, but that was in 2004, so who knows. Still, she will be 29 in 2010, and she relies on her movement. I don't think she's going to be top ten.

Mine:

1. Sharapova (Wimbledon, US Open, YEC champion)

2. Vaidisova (Oz Open champion, US Open runner up)
3. Kuznetsova (French Open champion)
4. Ivanovic (YEC runner up?)
5. Henin-Hardenne (French Open runner up)

6. Karatancheva

7. Krajicek
8. Groenefeld
9. Safina
10. Golovin

I think Maria Sharapova will be the no. 1 player. She is head and shoulders above everyone else under the age of 22, despite the fact that she is 19. She has been slowly improving since Serena Williams popped Maria's plan A bubble in oz 2005. She is likely to make a big breakthrough against the top three within the next year, as she has been pushing all of them to three sets fairly consistently. However, Maria will always struggle on clay, and I think Sveta or Nicole will always be at least even on slower, higher bouncing hard courts.

I think Justine's game will have evolved. She will be slower at 28 than she is now, and she won't, realistically, be in as great of shape. The big babes will be able to overpower her. However, I believe she will evolve into a blend of Amelie Mauresmo and Martina Hingis. Without her power, she will rely more on her consistency and unrivaled mental toughness and ferocity. She will be using more angles, will be serving and volleying more etc. She will probably reach the later rounds of three of the four slams, including Roland Garros, but I think 2010 will be the first year since 2002 that she doesn't win one.

I think Kuznetsova is going to take Justine's Roland Garros crown from her. Sveta's game is like...ideal for clay. However, she is not as consistent or as determined as Maria is, and her strokes do not penetrate as well as Nicole's do (neither is her serve as strong. )

Nicole's game seems perfectly suited to Rebound Ace. The ball bounces high but penetrates well. She doesn't handle low balls well. She will get better, but she will never be good enough to win Wimbledon in my opinion.

Ana Ivanovic is also a clear slam challenger in my opinion. Her only problem is that her game is designed for fast, relatively low bouncing courts (she does not generate as much pace up high, from what I have seen.) I think she will do very well indoors, but Maria already has the fast, low bouncing courts locked up, in my opinion. Still, Ana is good enough to win a few slams, in my opinion.

In essence, Sveta will be no. 1 on slow, high bouncing surfaces.
Nicole will be no. 1 on fast, high bouncing surfaces.
Maria will be no. 1 on fast, low bouncing surfaces and will have the slight edge on medium, medium surfaces.
Justine will still win a few big clay titles, and will make a run at Wimbledon.
Ana will win the indoor tier one titles, and will beat everyone she is supposed to.

I am almost sure these five will be in the top ten. Then we have the next tier:

Karatancheva runs like the wind, has a cocky attitude that bodes well, and has two more years than any other player in history to develop her game. This is a wildcard. She could be top three or she could not make the top ten. I think she has too much spunk not to be top ten, but she doesn't have natural, flat power like Nicole or Maria or Ana. I think Karatancheva will do very well on all surfaces, but I don't think she will find enough power to consistently beat the top five.

I think Michaela has too much power and too many connections at too young of an age not to make the top ten. However, she has the attitude of Kim Clijsters, without the amazing defense. I feel that those ranked ahead of her have a different attitude.

Groenefeld has a huge serve...ginormous. That will take her places. She can also volley better than most players on this list. That gives her a unique weapon. I think she is still finding her range, and I don't think she will find the top ten until 2008 or 2009, but I do believe she will stay there for three or four years a la Petrova.

Safina is super powerful, but is the worst mover on this list and doesn't hit cleanly or flatly enough to overcome that. I think Safina will reach the top ten next year and stay there for five or six years, but I would be surprised if she ever won a major.

I really do like Tatiana Golovin. She has a very nice game. When she gives in and gets a coach, she will stop being inconsistent (she was super consistent in 2004/early 2005 when she had a coach.) She does not have enough power to win many, if any, grand slams in my opinion. However, she moves beautifully, serves pretty big, and hits hard enough to take care of people she is supposed to beat.

Potential Spoilers:
Maria Kirilenko--will never be top five, but is the most consistent young player I know of. However, she does not have the variety, the volleys or the mind of Hingis, and is therefore more like Myskina or Rubin. I think there will be too many power players that can hit through her for her to be a top tenner.

Sania Mirza--if she can harness her power, she will be a contender at every slam she enters. However, I see her more as a downgrade of Mary Pierce--a few really amazing top ten seasons, MAYBE one slam or a few finals, but, for the most part, a really dangerous floater in the top 20. I don't think she will ever harness her power consistently.

Alexa Glatch--she is too young for me to confidently announce her as a top ten player, and I have never seen her play. If she hits big and flat and serves well, then her results as a 15 year old suggest she should be top ten or twenty. If she is a retriever, then those results indicate little more than top fifty potential.

A player under the age of 16 we haven't seen much of yet

Elena Dementieva or Anastasia Myskina

I don't think the others have big enough games to get there and stay there. Mirza is only a potential spoiler because of her unique story (not picking up a racquet til 9 or 10, turned pro at 18 etc.) I cannot think of a perrenial top ten player who was not top twenty by her 19th birthday.

IceHock
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM
sharapova won't be number 1

Chunchun
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
:yawn:

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM
sharapova won't be number 1

Awesome, that's great that you disagree with me:D, but can you be more specific?

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:48 AM
lol the only time sharapova could be number one is when everone good leaves, it's kinda hard to predict the top ten in futuer because many up and coming players haven't stared making their mark yet. I think nicole kirielinko and tati will be ahead of maria

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Don't forget that there will be other people that are playing now that could be top ten in 4 years such as Wozniacki, Pavlyuchenkova, Paszek, Ula Radwanska, etc. :wavey:

1handedwonder
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:58 AM
wow, that was longer than most of the essays i have ever typed!!! cudos to the dedication

dagamezbest
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM
my top 20 in 2010

1. Nicole Vaidisova- She has the game to be # 1
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova- She will still be a threat
3. Justine Henin-Hardenne- Some how I think Justine is still going to be playing
4. Shahar Peer- Big defensive player with good backhand she's gotta be top 10
5. Michealla Krijcek- Her game should be more solid by this time
6. Ana Ivanovic- She's going to have a good career
7. Maria Sharapova- Her unathletic ability will keep her down, but not out top 10
8. Na Li- I really think she is going to make it big.
9. Jelena Jankovic- If she can get it together she's a tough competitor
10. Anna Lena-Groenefeld- Powerfull but her movement will keep her down
11. Dinara Safina- Hits the ball hard but is unathletic
12. Jamea Jackson- She will be one of the fastest players on tour
13. Maria Kirilenko- Solid game she'll be there
14. Anna Chakvetdaze- Her game will develop a bit more as well.
15. Tatiana Golovin- If she gets back focused on tennis she'll be good.
16. Daniela Huntuchova- She should still be a top player
17. Vera Zvonareva- If she can keep her head straight
18. Jie Zheng- She's a good player, she'll be in the top 20
19. Peng Shuai- She has some good ground strokes as well.
20. Shenay Perry- Has a lot of variety to frustrate her opponents, she'll make it.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:00 AM
wow, that was longer than most of the essays i have ever typed!!! cudos to the dedication

Dedication/obsession :o

;)

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM
:lol: i was thinking the same thing

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM
In My Opinion:

1. Maria Sharapova
2. Nicole Vaidisova
3. Caroline Wozniacki
4. Ana Ivanovic
5. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
6. Viktoria Azarenka
7. Dinara Safina
8. Jelena Jankovic
9. Justine Henin-Hardenne
10. Shuai Peng

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
i think we can still count venus in because she said she doesn't want to retire till the 2012 olympics

TS
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Don't forget that there will be other people that are playing now that could be top ten in 4 years such as Wozniacki, Pavlyuchenkova, Paszek, Ula Radwanska, etc. :wavey:

Or even Agnieszka Radwanska, who is streets ahead of those 4 you mentioned at the moment.

Drake1980
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM
everyone seems to be forgetting about Michelle Larmo de Brito!!

Seyz
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM
It's probably going to be someone that's around-15-16now.

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:10 AM
everyone seems to be forgetting about Michelle Larmo de Brito!!
if i knew who that was maybe i would remember her :p :)

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Or even Agnieszka Radwanska, who is streets ahead of those 4 you mentioned at the moment.

She is also 2 years older. ;)

Wozniacki just won her first slam at 15.

Pavlychenkova won her first slam at 14.

Aga Radwanska won her first slam at 17 I think.

;)

Plus a lot of people say Ula is the more promising of the two.

Aga doesn't have power so she could be hit off the court.

Wozniacki, Pavlyuchenkova, Ula Radwanska, and Paszek all play agressive baseline tennis, which is what you need to do in order to survive in this age of tennis.

Reuchlin
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM
In all honesty it always amazes me how many people count Maria Sharapova out of "future top ten lists" after already being a proven CHAMPION (who is improving) while putting unproven players like Golovin/Little Masha ahead of her.

Reuchlin
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:15 AM
oh, and thanks threadstarter. I donated 10 vcash to you! sorry I couldn't do more but that was a great analysis that I enjoyed reading.

TS
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM
She is also 2 years older. ;)

Wozniacki just won her first slam at 15.

Pavlychenkova won her first slam at 14.

Aga Radwanska won her first slam at 17 I think.

;)

Plus a lot of people say Ula is the more promising of the two.

Aga doesn't have power so she could be hit off the court.

Wozniacki, Pavlyuchenkova, Ula Radwanska, and Paszek all play agressive baseline tennis, which is what you need to do in order to survive in this age of tennis.

Fair enough, but I meant that in 4 years time, if those junior players you mentioned were to be top 10 prospects, I think Aga could certainly be counted in the same breath.

It's not very often you see a kid make the transition from juniors to seniors with such quick success. Already a WTA Q/F, and a Slam 4th round and knocking on the door of the top 100. That's certainly gotta make people sit up and take notice :)

As for the so called power issue, well it's certainly not hindering her progress at this stage.

Oh and she was 16 when she won her first junior Slam (I'm nitpicking I know ;))

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM
lol the only time sharapova could be number one is when everone good leaves, it's kinda hard to predict the top ten in futuer because many up and coming players haven't stared making their mark yet. I think nicole kirielinko and tati will be ahead of maria

Kirilenko will not. She does not have the power game to win slams, and has a bad record against Maria despite being older. Tatiana has a bad record against all top players too. Realistically, people, Maria is going to stay in the top four or five whether or not you like it. She is also going to win at least two or three more slams, even if she never gets any better, just by luck of the draw (there are only three players at a time that can beat her consistently at the moment, and she is not going to get worse). Let's please all be realistic.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM
As for the so called power issue, well it's certainly not hindering her progress at this stage.

Yes, but she's not playing the better players with more power.

Azarenka is a real power player and Aga frustrated her, but Vika will learn how to hit her off the court. Aga is kind of like what Hingis is now. She can frustrate you if you don't know how to play her (i.e. Sharapova, Tokyo), but once you figure out how to beat her (i.e. Sharapova, Dubai), you can beat her again (i.e. Sharapova, Indian Wells).

Because Vika, Caro, Nastya, Tamira, & Ula all have agressive baseline games, I think that will take them farther. They all can add more variety to their game, but it will be hard for Aga to add power to a point where she can't get hit off the court.

Also, about being wrong about the time Aga won her first jr. slam, I wasn't sure if I was right, hence the reason I put "I think". ;)

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:29 AM
oh, and thanks threadstarter. I donated 10 vcash to you! sorry I couldn't do more but that was a great analysis that I enjoyed reading.

Thanks:wavey: . I don't even know what vcash is but I'll take it I guess haha.

1handedwonder
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:31 AM
hmmmm, i wonder if maria will strong enough to domintate at this point :rolleyes:

anyway

1. Henin-Hardenne
2. Kuznetsova
3. Vaidishova
4. Sharapova
5. Bremond
6. Karantancheva
7. Petrova
8. Dementieva
9. Petrova
10. Venus!!!???!!! :unsure:

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Kirilenko will not. She does not have the power game to win slams, and has a bad record against Maria despite being older. Tatiana has a bad record against all top players too. Realistically, people, Maria is going to stay in the top four or five whether or not you like it. She is also going to win at least two or three more slams, even if she never gets any better, just by luck of the draw (there are only three players at a time that can beat her consistently at the moment, and she is not going to get worse). Let's please all be realistic.
im am being realistic! Golovin would have beaten maria in miami if she didn't fall and both maria's have played some good matches against eachother. Im no saying maria won't be in the top 5. So i am being totally realistic!!!

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks:wavey: . I don't even know what vcash is but I'll take it I guess haha.

:spit:

How can you NOT know what vcash is? :help:

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:40 AM
im am being realistic! Golovin would have beaten maria in miami if she didn't fall and both maria's have played some good matches against eachother. Im no saying maria won't be in the top 5. So i am being totally realistic!!!

Kirilenko does possess the power to trouble Sharapova because of her variety, but I do not think she will be the better player when all is said and done. Same with Golovin. Both Kirilenko and Golovin can beat Sharapova, but I think Sharapova will win most of their meetings.

TS
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Yes, but she's not playing the better players with more power.

Azarenka is a real power player and Aga frustrated her, but Vika will learn how to hit her off the court. Aga is kind of like what Hingis is now. She can frustrate you if you don't know how to play her (i.e. Sharapova, Tokyo), but once you figure out how to beat her (i.e. Sharapova, Dubai), you can beat her again (i.e. Sharapova, Indian Wells).

Because Vika, Caro, Nastya, Tamira, & Ula all have agressive baseline games. That will take them farther. Because they can add variety to their game, but it will be hard for Aga to add power, because that's not her style.

Also, about being wrong about the time Aga won her first jr. slam, I wasn't sure if I was right, hence the reason I put "I think". ;)

Yeah as I said I was nitpicking ;)

Well, we shall agree to disagree. I think the kid will hold her own and keep developing her game on a consistent level, but that's just a hunch I have. Of course I could be wrong, but I don't think she is a flash in the pan. Interesting to see where we stand in four years time ;)

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Kirilenko does possess the power to trouble Sharapova because of her variety, but I do not think she will be the better player when all is said and done. Same with Golovin. Both Kirilenko and Golovin can beat Sharapova, but I think Sharapova will win most of their meetings.
i think in four years both players will mature alot more than they are now, every year they get better and better

MikeJones
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Jeez Louise...2010?

Human beings will be too busy flying to the moon and back for Vacation to be watching Tennis lmao...seriously though

Im sure when Maria won Wimby 2 years ago everyone thought shed be the undisputed #1 by now...hasnt happened.

See, the thing people never take into account, is the human aspect of everything. Shes a teen, away from friends alot, constantly travelling, not being a normal teen.

Which has MAYBE, taken a toll on her. Im not certain of this, Im not in her head, and Im not saying that its impossible for someone like Maria to be 18,19 and be #1, but it must be hard to be totally 100% focused on Tennis at that age.

And imho to be #1 now(meaing ahead of JHH, MOMO) you have to be 100% focused. I think Maria will be #1 someday though, maybe when shes 21,22.

Theres not doubt gonna be a new phenom every year, that captures our eye, and well will watch that person play and marvel and think "wow wont she be great in a year ot two...if she stays on track, she will no doubt be #1 in a couple years".

We never factor in the human element.

So...who knows? :scratch: lol

I hope, whoever it is...is an exciting player who transcends the game. Like the way a #1 should be. (Martina, Steffi, Monica, Serena)

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:56 AM
i think in four years both players will mature alot more than they are now, every year they get better and better

So will Sharapova. :p

égalité
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM
1) Nicole Vaidisova
2) Svetlana Kuznetsova
3) Maria Sharapova
4) Shahar Peer
5) Urszula Radwanska
6) Michaella Krajicek
7) Peng Shuai
8) Magdalena Rybarikova
9) Justine Henin-Hardenne
10) Agnieszka Radwanska

Other top 20 players:
Li Na
Caroline Wozniacki
Elena Dementieva
Jamea Jackson
Jade Curtis

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM
So will Sharapova. :p
true but i think sharapova is improving at a slower rate, that's my opinion :)

Stamp Paid
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I think Nikki will be #1. :o

I hope Tati will be Top 5 so I can consistently see her on TV and keep my interest in tennis.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM
1) Nicole Vaidisova
2) Svetlana Kuznetsova
3) Maria Sharapova
4) Shahar Peer
5) Urszula Radwanska
6) Michaella Krajicek
7) Peng Shuai
8) Magdalena Rybarikova
9) Justine Henin-Hardenne
10) Agnieszka Radwanska

Other top 20 players:
Li Na
Caroline Wozniacki
Elena Dementieva
Jamea Jackson
Jade Curtis

Interesting..

Why do you put Ula Radwanska and Rybarikova ahead of Wozniacki, when Wozniacki just beat both of them? :wavey:

Plus, Wozniacki is two years younger than Magda.

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM
1. Nicole V
2. Tatiana G
3. Maria K
4. Serena W
5. Maria S
6. Justine H-H
7. Nadia P
8. Svetlana K
9. Venus W
10. Shahar P

égalité
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Interesting..

Why do you put Ula Radwanska and Rybarikova ahead of Wozniacki, when Wozniacki just beat both of them? :wavey:

I think Ula and Aga have better variety in their games and are more complete players, and will reach the top 10 sooner. I definitely think Caroline will get there too. ;)

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I think Ula and Aga have better variety in their games and are more complete players, and will reach the top 10 sooner. I definitely think Caroline will get there too. ;)

Aga and Ula probably do have more variety than Caroline, but as I said before, I think Aga will have trouble when she has to face power players like Sharapova, Vaidisova, etc. Perhaps the same with Ula. But with Caroline I think her game should translate well into the WTA and I think her game will become more dimensional as she gets older. :)

Caroline still has a very complete game for her age. She has great groundies and a good serve (what you need most to survive on the WTA), plus she can come to net as well. :cool: Caro still has a lot of time to add more variety to her game. :angel:

JDLover
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Mine would be

1. Ivanovic
2. Vaidisova
3. Peng
4. Li
5. Safina
6. Sharapova
7. Stosur
8. Gronefeld
9. Schaivone
10. Karatancheva

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Sharapova has outpaced both of their improvements. Golovin has actually gotten worse since 2004, if you just look at her results. It is an interesting position, but it is not impossible...

égalité
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Sharapova has outpaced both of their improvements. Golovin has actually gotten worse since 2004, if you just look at her results. It is an interesting position, but it is not impossible...

I think when Golovin stops getting injured on a monthly basis, she'll move up significantly in the rankings and will start beating players like Sharapova. This year, before Indian Wells, she beat Petrova, held a match point against Mauresmo, and lost to Clijsters 7-5 in the third. I don't see Kirilenko being a top 10 player.

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I think when Golovin stops getting injured on a monthly basis, she'll move up significantly in the rankings and will start beating players like Sharapova. This year, before Indian Wells, she beat Petrova, held a match point against Mauresmo, and lost to Clijsters 7-5 in the third. I don't see Kirilenko being a top 10 player.

Some players never stop getting injuries...Golovin has definite top ten talent, but she doesn't have Maria's serve, she doesn't have Maria's power, and she doesn't have Maria's mental desire. Of course, things could change, but, one must admit, the odds are in favor of Sharapova's being the better player.

Andy.
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:47 AM
My Pics

Maria Sharapova
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Nicole Vaidisova
The the next lot in any order:

Maria Kirilenko
Ana Ivanovic
Dinara Safina
Anna Lena Groenefeld
Justine Henin Hardenne (if still playing)
Shahar Peer
Tatiana Golovin

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM
i guess will all see in 2010 :)

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM
so basically... i won't consider any middle aged folk, right? I'll just assume it smore like 2012, 2013, 2014.

I just have a feeling though... that by 2010-2... there's going to be some other people we really don't know about right now (maybe alexa) who will be in the top 10.

edit: My Top 21 young players, who are already non-juniors because i know nothing about juniors, and have no ambition to learn anything about it
1. Sharapova
2. Vaidisova
3. Ivanovic
4. Groenefeld
5. Jackson
6. Safina
7. Krajicek
8. Perry
9. Jankovic
10. King
11. Mirza
12. Peng
13. Kirilenko
14. Pironkova
15. Peer
16. Chakvetadze
17. Safarova
18. Laine
19. Dushevina
20. Oprandi
21. Harkleroad

edit: Radwanska should be somewhere in there

Dexter
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Well that's interesting. We have so many promising juniors... I just can't wait to see the likes of Magda, Wika, sisters, Caro, Tamira and others playing full season on the Tour. I do hope in the coming years they will be a major force. Each of them is different and so talented. Of course I'm so excited for Aga & Ula. Yet it's bizarre because in Poland we had promising juniors in like every discipline of sport nearly and about 5% of them were then succesfull in their senior careers :help: so it's a bit frustrating and I hope sisters will fullfy their talent that their have. :)

RJWCapriati
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM
2010 -

1. J. Capriati
2. M. Pierce
3. L. Davenport
4. M. Seles
5. M. Hingis
6. V. Williams
7. T.Golovin
8. J. Henin
9. S. Peer
10. D. Safina

Dexter
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:21 AM
^^ :spit:

floco
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I have a feeling that Amelie will STILL be playing... unless a series of bad injuries comes up (like Mary). She has such love for the game, tennis is her life. And like wine she's getting better with age so...

Also, Petrova out?? I don't think so... she's improved a lot this year already, and has been very consistent at only 23. I actually think she could even get better...

About the youngsters, hard to predict... Karantantcheva will probably be back stronger than ever. What about Rezai? At 19, doesnt she have room for improvement?

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM
1. Mauresmo
2. Kuznetsova
3. Vaidisova
4. Sharapova
5. Dementieva
6. Groenefeld
7. Myskina
8. Petrova
9. N.Li
10. Ivanovic

so.krist!na
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM
I don't know..(well,who knows..)
but i'm sure Ivanovic and Vaidisova will enter to Top 5.Peer and Groenefeld will enter to Top 10.I think Wozniacki and A.Radwanska will enter to Top 20..
As for Makiri,i think she will enter to Top 15.

crazillo
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Well, you can't predict it like that, because you never know about injuries and upcoming players. But in general I think you are right that those players have the opportunity to stay up there.

I think that Myskina will fall, too. But Dementieva will remain that high IMO.

In the last few years there have been very few vretirements, manya players will leave the tour in the near future. This will offer many chances to others, but also will create a lot of pressure on them...

Freakan
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm sure there will be some teenagers inside Top 10 (like de Brito, Hendler, Orlik, one of the Ren sisters, Khabibulina, Pavlyuchenkova and/or some other Russian girls). But it's impossible to predict who will be there for sure.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM
People need to remember there are juniors that will rise up the ranks like Sharapova did as well. ;)

mila_mail
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
how about radwanska????

Corswandt
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
There was a previous thread on this topic (the top 10 in 2010). Could anyone give me the link to it?

johnoo
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Interesting..

Rybarikova has a great forehand but her backhand is not good,Wozniack knew that and thats how she won.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Rybarikova has a great forehand but her backhand is not good,Wozniack knew that and thats she how won.

Caroline is smart. ;) :worship:

fammmmedspin
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:28 PM
How old was Graf when she beat Hingis and Venus in June 1999? Not all over 28 people are slowing down. ......

Add Vera Zvonereva too - there is a top ten player in there when she plays doubles and she could turn into the Schynder or Testud of the tour and will only be 25 anyway.

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just some players that i think will be up there in no particular order
Sharapova
Vaidisova
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Myskina
Vee Williams (if she stays healthy)
Pironkova
Agnieska Radwanska
Karatancheva
Golovin
Cornet (well its a maybe)
Wozniaki
Pavlychenko or whatever her name is
Some chinese girls also in the mix
Ivanovic (if she gets into better shape which is likely to happen)
Safina
Petrova
Mirza
Kraijicek

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Just some players that i think will be up there in no particular order
Sharapova
Vaidisova
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Myskina
Vee Williams (if she stays healthy)
Pironkova
Agnieska Radwanska
Karatancheva
Golovin
Cornet (well its a maybe)
Wozniaki
Pavlychenko or whatever her name is
Some chinese girls also in the mix
Ivanovic (if she gets into better shape which is likely to happen)
Safina
Petrova
Mirza
Kraijicek

It's Pavlyuchenkova. :)

IceHock
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Awesome, that's great that you disagree with me:D, but can you be more specific?

I feel that she will be in the top 5,but i think girls that are younger than her or about the same age like vaidisova for example,and how old is Na Li???she's like 20 something so i won't include her.Anyways i think Vaidisova has more game.Other girls that could really be up there would be Golovin,Ivanovic,Jackson-maybe,Peng,Peer.These girls in my mind have more of an all-around game,where as they can do more things,while Maria's game is more 1 dimensional,yes by 2010,it could be changed but basing it right now on the potential of these players I wouldn't put her number 1.She could though,who knows,only time will tell.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM
I feel that she will be in the top 5,but i think girls that are younger than her or about the same age like vaidisova for example,and how old is Na Li???she's like 20 something so i won't include her.Anyways i think Vaidisova has more game.Other girls that could really be up there would be Golovin,Ivanovic,Jackson-maybe,Peng,Peer.These girls in my mind have more of an all-around game,where as they can do more things,while Maria's game is more 1 dimensional,yes by 2010,it could be changed but basing it right now on the potential of these players I wouldn't put her number 1.She could though,who knows,only time will tell.

The only ones I could see coming close to Sharapova (not counting the current juniors) are Ivanovic and Vaidisova, but they still have a long way to go.

Asif_Nawaz
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Paszek,ALG,Caro,Ula and Domi will be int h e top 10

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
It's Pavlyuchenkova. :)
Ye i knew it was something like that :)

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Paszek,ALG,Caro,Ula and Domi will be int h e top 10

As much as I like Dominika, I'm afraid she won't make it to that level.

She doesn't have as much potential and game as the other players you just mentioned.

TTomek
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Ye i knew it was something like that :)
and its Wozniacki not Wozniaki ;)

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
and its Wozniacki not Wozniaki ;)
Wow there names are hard to spell :)

TTomek
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Wow there names are hard to spell :)
not for me :p

Berlin_Calling
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Azarenka will be top ten, for sure.

Derek.
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Azarenka will be top ten, for sure.

As long as she keeps her head on straight. :o

Poova
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'll make a top 20 prediction ;)

1. Vaidisova
2. Henin-Hardenne
3. Sharapova
4. Kuznetsova
5. A. Radwanska
6. Ivanovic
7. Karatancheva
8. Groenefeld
9. Petrova
10. Dementieva
11. Peer
12. Wozniacki
13. Safina
14. Myskina
15. Kirilenko
16. Li
17. Pironkova
18. Pavlyuchenkova (don't really know much about her except she was/is #1 on juniors)
19. Krajicek
20. Jankovic

Probably some new young guns instead of some of them though :confused:

Sund7101
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:24 PM
1) Ana Ivanovic- Hits the ball hard and flat, with nice touch around the net. Reminds me of Davenport but quicker. She will be in great shape!

2) Nicole Vaidisova- Power player with deep penitrating ground strokes and a great serve, but mentally she still has her ups and downs.

3) Martina Hingis- Still playing at the top of the game, with her wonderful finesse play and style of a savey veteran, a crowd favorite.

4) Venus Williams- Her schedule isn't booked, she plays when she wants too, but is still a threat at the majors.

5) Amelie Mauresomo- It's just a matter of time before she retires.

6) Karolina Sprem- Finally where she should be.

7) Maria Sharapova- Coming off another injury.

8) Justine Henin-Hardenne- Still has the heart, but can't compete at the top level day in and day out.

9) Jamea Jackson- "Action" Jackson, a joy to watch and her speed and athleticism make her a threat at every slam.

10) Shahar Peer- Great backhand and defensive player.

As a wildcard Mary Pierce wins Wimbledon and officially retires from the game! :)

IMPOSSIBLE
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Ivanovic will be top 10

squig2k
how long did that take to write :p
interesting views

IMPOSSIBLE
Oh hello

IMPOSSIBLE
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Does anybody Like sofia , I do !

IMPOSSIBLE
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Is my Pic Displaying

Ravsieg
Jul 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Hmm... not in any order in particular.

Sharapova
Vaidisova
Ivanovic
Karatancheva
Agnieszka Radwanska
Urszula Radwanska
Wozniacki
Azarenka
Pavlyuchenkova
Krajicek
Peer
Kirilenko
Golovin
Morita
Jankovic

Michelle Larcher de Brito will probably not be on the top 10 in 4 years. :scratch: She's 13 years old I think.

hacberto
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
1) Kuznetsova
2) Maria Sharapova
3)Kirilenko
4)Vaidisova
5)S. Williams( I think she will retire that same year but in the Us Open so is Venus and she will have 18 grand slam in total)
6)Jamea Jackson
7)Perry
8)Tatiana Golovin
9)V. Williams (In the next four years shw will have some very good moments and she will have 12 grand slam in total. She will marry Bob Bryan in 2008 :hearts: )
10.I really don't know

What do you think?

Drimal
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
1) Amélie Mauresmo
2) Justine Henin-Hardenne
3) Nicole Vaidisova
4) Martina Hingis
5) Elena Dementieva
6) Maria Sharapova
7) Daniela Hantuchova
8) Dinara Safina
9) Na Li
10) Michaella Krajicek

tterb
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Add Vera Zvonereva too - there is a top ten player in there when she plays doubles and she could turn into the Schynder or Testud of the tour and will only be 25 anyway.
There was a top 10 player in there in 2004 singles as well. I think she will get back to that level at some point. I think Vera has more potential than Testud and Schnyder, though - at her best, her game is explosive enough to make her a consistent slam contender. If her head's on straight (a big if), I see her having more capability than Testud/Schnyder of beating top players often.

At this point, though, I'd be more than thrilled to see Vera have the solid, perennial top 10 results Schnyder and Testud achieved late in their careers.

mirzalover
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
1) Amélie Mauresmo
2) Justine Henin-Hardenne
3) Nicole Vaidisova
4) Martina Hingis
5) Elena Dementieva
6) Maria Sharapova
7) Daniela Hantuchova
8) Dinara Safina
9) Na Li
10) Michaella Krajicek

i dont see Na Li being in the top ten ever let alone in 2010 she be 29 going on 30 or 28 going on 29.( i dont know when her brithday is) plus i feel peng shuai is more talented and she younger but who knows they both might be there in 2010

Talita Kumi
Jul 10th, 2006, 07:19 PM

1_SVETA :worship:
2_VAIDIS
3_ALG
4_PEER
5_SAFINA
6_PERRY
7_KRAJICEK
8_NA LI
9_PIRONKOVA
10_IVANOVIC

SHARAPOVA WILL BE OUT (SO MUCH MONEY) :o

No.1Hingis
Jul 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Will see... I remember when I started to watch tennis .. thats 8 years a go.. and.. there are some players that still play today and they were on TOP TEN too.. so.. I cant kick anybody out ..