PDA

View Full Version : Strange and Insane Year So Far

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
1) Whoīs number one?
- Amelie and Henin are dominating the tour.
- Amelie has two grand slam wins out of two grand slam finals.
- Henin has three grand slams finals this year, winning Roland Garros.

- Up until yesterday most people thought that Henin was definetly the best player this year so far, now this result completly turn things around. Amelie :worship:

2)Other notables
- Williams era presence in Wimbledon finals ends with Venusīs third round loss to Jankovic and ranks outside the top 20 after Wimbledon. Insane ranking. :o
- Serena Williams last yearīs Australian Open champion has played just 3 events in the last 365 days and is not even a top 100 ranked player.
- If Venus does not play enough events and improves her ranking, and Serena comes back the top player could be all in danger of getting Serena in the first round and then Venus in round three.. Insane way to destroy the draw :p
- Hingis despite losing to Sugiyama ranked 21 in the world remains number 5 in the race for the year and came back from retirement not only to beat Venus in Rome but also passed her in the rankings for the first time since 2001. :worship:
- Hingis worst loses of the year come in hands off world number 19 Penetta (January) and Sugiyama ranked 21 (July). Who would have thought that at this stage Hingis would be this consistent. :worship:
- Kim Clijsters continues to reach grand slam semifinals, but also contunues to lose to her nemesis in big matches Henin-Hardene.. Kim still believes she can win a grand slam??? :mad:
- Mauresmo seems to be the nemesis for the big matches for Henin with a 4-1 edge so far against Henin in grand slam matches, Masters and Olympics overall. Who would have thought that after the Berlin match and the first set today she would figure out a way to win. :worship: Amelie.
- Venus Williams plays her first mix doubles tournament in years, with Bob Brian and reachs the final and is an almost sure bet to win against Ram and Zvonareva. :worship: Venus @ Wimbledon
- Sharapova continues in the same mood of Clijsters, but she keeps losing those SF grand slam matches. Her time will come. Still great consistency :worship:

Whatīs next the hard court season, i canīt really wait for it :worship:

lolo21
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
it's been an awesome year for me anyway so far : my two favourites players,Amelie and Martina,are both having a great year.........would be great now to see Martina win a GS after such a wonderful comeback! :bounce:

Paneru
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
2)
- If Venus does not play enough events and improves her ranking, and Serena comes back the top player could be all in danger of getting Serena in the first round and then Venus in round three.. Insane way to destroy the draw :p

:devil:

- Venus Williams plays her first mix doubles tournament in years, with Bob Brian and reachs the final and is an almost sure bet to win against Ram and Zvonareva. :worship: Venus @ Wimbledon

Still for the life of me can't figure Venus/Knowles being given 8th seed
last year. Yet, Venus/Bryan get no seed this year and have knocked off
the 11th, 6th, 4th, & 2nd seeds. Will face the 9th seed in the final.

PLP
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Yes, definitely a crazy year so far, but also exciting! I can't wait for the US Series to commence! :bounce:

rottweily
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I still think Justine is the best player this year.

new-york
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Can't wait to see what will happen in the followings.

sapir1434
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
As an Amelie fan, I wouldn't call it a stange year, but a dream year so far :hearts:

cellophane
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Boring year, so far, as far as qulaity matches / rivalries go. I was looking forward to so much more. I hope the hard courts will salvage it, but I am afraid to be let down.

lolo21
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:50 PM

despite being an Amelie's fan, i have to agree :)

but Amelie is perhaps a bit better on grass than Justine.

rottweily
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Today she was ;)

VivalaSeles
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
G-R-E-A-T year :D My favourites have won all the GS titles :D What more could I wish for? :D

Albireo
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Hingis worst loses of the year come in hands off world number 19 Penetta (January) and Sugiyama ranked 21 (July). Who would have thought that at this stage Hingis would be this consistent.

Wouldn't the 0-and-2 loss to Dementieva at Tokyo be her worst loss? Or are you speaking of losses to players "she should beat?" (In any event, maybe the Pennetta loss doesn't count, as it was so early in the comeback.)

sky20748
Jul 8th, 2006, 07:13 PM
the same with momo she went thru a slump and then decided to turn it around.she didnt win anything after the AO and then went six months and won wimbledon.everyone goes thru lulls in there careers.ok momo is 27 and venus is 26 she still have time barring any injuries to get her sh*t together.serena still has time to her her sh*t together.any player still has time to get there sh*t together.it takes dedication and practice and stragety.and i am glad that venus win or lose stayed to get the match practice that she needs.she didnt run and hide.she stayed knowing the talk would be there about her losing the 3rd round.but heh sh*t happens.it's called life.everyone wants to win.the thing is getting back to basics.get off that baseline trying to blow opponents away and start moving forward.that is the key.

lolo21
Jul 8th, 2006, 07:27 PM
the same with momo she went thru a slump and then decided to turn it around.she didnt win anything after the AO and then went six months and won wimbledon..

she won the Open Gaz de France and the Anvers title (beating Kim in final) just after the AO,don t forget ;)

kosmikgroove
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM

despite being a Justine fan, I still think Amelie has had a better yera :)

but Justine is perhaps a bit better on clay.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM
what's next in the hardcourt season? the return of serena fucking williams!!!!!!!!!:)

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Dear God I hope Serena plays for real...I mean selfishly I do. I'm cool if she just wants to play for old times sake, but I do miss her beat down sessions.:devil:

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Wouldn't the 0-and-2 loss to Dementieva at Tokyo be her worst loss? Or are you speaking of losses to players "she should beat?" (In any event, maybe the Pennetta loss doesn't count, as it was so early in the comeback.)
Well its hard to say what to expect from Martina Hingis, but i meant about the ranking of the players that have beaten Martina this year.

Jasmin
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:59 PM
It has been strange. Some good but overall not so awesome. However I'm happy today for Amelie and the BB brothers.

akosijepoy
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
i want like a serena/venus vs. top 10 player 1st round.

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
what's next in the hardcourt season? the return of serena fucking williams!!!!!!!!!:)
This is what the tour needs now, imagine Serena returning at full strenght. I hope Lindsay does comeback too.

cellophane
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:27 PM
The tour needs Serena, Mary, Lindsay & Martina in shape and at their best. I'm not even mentioning Jen and Monica.

alfonsojose
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Martina's comeback is complete. I think she'll be in Madrid :D

spencercarlos
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
1) Whoīs number one?

- Up until yesterday most people thought that Henin was definetly the best player this year so far, now this result completly turn things around. Amelie :worship:

2)Other notables
- Williams era presence in Wimbledon finals ends with Venusīs third round loss to Jankovic and ranks outside the top 20 after Wimbledon. Insane ranking. :o
- Serena Williams last yearīs Australian Open champion has played just 3 events in the last 365 days and is not even a top 100 ranked player.
- Hingis despite losing to Sugiyama ranked 21 in the world remains number 5 in the race for the year and came back from retirement not only to beat Venus in Rome but also passed her in the rankings for the first time since 2001. :worship:
- Hingis worst loses of the year come in hands off world number 19 Penetta (January) and Sugiyama ranked 21 (July). Who would have thought that at this stage Hingis would be this consistent. :worship:
- Kim Clijsters continues to reach grand slam semifinals, but also contunues to lose to her nemesis in big matches Henin-Hardene.. Kim still believes she can win a grand slam??? :mad:
- Mauresmo seems to be the nemesis for the big matches for Henin with a 4-1 edge so far against Henin in grand slam matches, Masters and Olympics overall. Who would have thought that after the Berlin match and the first set today she would figure out a way to win. :worship: Amelie.
- Sharapova continues in the same mood of Clijsters, but she keeps losing those SF grand slam matches. Her time will come. Still great consistency :worship:

Some Venus Fans assured that Henin would win right off the bat, i thought that Venus and Bob has this tournament won already after beating so many great teams to get to the final, so we were wrong :eek:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
1) Whoīs number one?

2)Other notables

+ sveta's back :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Good run nonetheless though by VeeBob! I think I knew realistically that after playing 4 tough sets, Bob wouldn't be @ his best, so they just went out there and had fun!

Justine Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:54 AM

:worship: :worship:

Vey gracious of you!

oakkao
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Some Venus Fans assured that Henin would win right off the bat, i thought that Venus and Bob has this tournament won already after beating so many great teams to get to the final, so we were wrong :eek:

I think most people did. Not only Venus fans. :kiss:

Bob played a 4 set Doubles FInal today! Surely that was physically exhausting :lol: Venus and Bob seemed happy with their performnace anyway :bounce: :cool: Go Vee!!

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:59 AM
This year is okay i guess...I enjoyed the years when Venus and Serena played a lot and they were on top of their game. Also Davenport, Seles, Capriati, Pierce, Hingis, Dokic, Rubin and a few others were playin which made the game more interesting. Mauresmo and Henin are dominating because many top players are not in tournaments, injured or rusty from not commiting to playing tennis as much as they do....so...tennis has definately been better in earlier years.

Sam L
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
It looks like Henin and Mauresmo have overthrown the Williams sisters.

Knizzle
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM
It looks like Henin and Mauresmo have overthrown the Williams sisters.LOL!!!

Whichever way the wind blows huh Sam??

UDACHi
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM
-Elena Dementieva is well on her way to taking over the world of tennis.

Knizzle
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:12 AM
-Elena Dementieva is well on her way to taking over the world of tennis.

She's up for the commissioner position?? :confused:

Knizzle
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:12 AM
ITF President maybe Udachi???

Robbie.
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:13 AM
LOL!!!

Whichever way the wind blows huh Sam??

He's a bit like that isn't he? :lol: :lol:

It's pretty silly to say that the Williams Sisters have been "overthrown". That would imply that they have actually been around to be ousted, which they haven't.

UDACHi
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:19 AM
No, silly Knizzle, she's gunna win San Diego, LA, New Haven, US Open, Stuttgart, Moscow, and the YEC. :wavey:

flyingmachine
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM
G-R-E-A-T year :D My favourites have won all the GS titles :D What more could I wish for? :D
Yeap that's rght especially after a great final match at Wimbledon. So no strange year for me.

flyingmachine
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
It looks like Henin and Mauresmo have overthrown the Williams sisters.
Well at this rate yes. ;) :tape:

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:20 AM

It may seem that way because of her 17 match winning streak going into the final yesterday but I think it's a toss up between her, Amelie and Nadia Petrova.

But of the three, she has only had one early-round loss (Miami) and outside that has been incredibly consistent.

Seyz
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
I would hardly place Petrova into that category. When push comes to shove, Petrova isn't all that impressive.

spencercarlos
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM
It may seem that way because of her 17 match winning streak going into the final yesterday but I think it's a toss up between her, Amelie and Nadia Petrova.

But of the three, she has only had one early-round loss (Miami) and outside that has been incredibly consistent.
Petrova? Based on??????

rottweily
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Correct.

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Petrova? Based on??????

Four tournament wins including two Tier 1 events.

If she had not got injured she probably would have been a major factor the past five weeks. She had the momentum on her side when both Justine and Amelie seemed fragile before the French Open. (and Amelie before Wimbledon even started was still struggling)

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I would hardly place Petrova into that category. When push comes to shove, Petrova isn't all that impressive.

Have you actually been following tennis this year? If not than you are totally wrong. Nadia was looking very impressive until she got injured.

crazillo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
It's been quite a good year, but I preferred 2005 by far somehow.

spencercarlos
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Four tournament wins including two Tier 1 events.

If she had not got injured she probably would have been a major factor the past five weeks. She had the momentum on her side when both Justine and Amelie seemed fragile before the French Open. (and Amelie before Wimbledon even started was still struggling)
Petrova has not even reached a grand slam final this year, it just absurd to say that itīs a toss up between a player that has 2 slam wins and the other who has 3 grand slam finals already, she is just a far distant number three.
And it remains to be seen up until the time when Petrova is beating Sharapova and Clijsters she could consider her better than them.
Not because you win a Tier I event beating Schynder and some nobodies you are a threat for a grand slam. Even talk about Tier II Amelia Island where the better ranked player you beat is named Schiavone puts you straight to the top.
Sure she got two important wins over Amelie and Henin, but still she has to prove that she can succeed at Grand Slams.

mike/topgun
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM
this year is nowhere as exciting as i.e. last year:tape:

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Petrova has not even reached a grand slam final this year, it just absurd to say that itīs a toss up between a player that has 2 slam wins and the other who has 3 grand slam finals already, she is just a far distant number three.
And it remains to be seen up until the time when Petrova is beating Sharapova and Clijsters she could consider her better than them.
Not because you win a Tier I event beating Schynder and some nobodies you are a threat for a grand slam. Even talk about Tier II Amelia Island where the better ranked player you beat is named Schiavone puts you straight to the top.
Sure she got two important wins over Amelie and Henin, but still she has to prove that she can succeed at Grand Slams.

Uh did you not read what I said? Yeah Petrova did not reach a Slam final this year but that was kinda hard considering she began the French Open with an injury and didn't even make it to Wimbledon.

She clearly had the momentum going into the French and I am not sure why you feel the need to downplay her accomplishments in 2006.

Now how she handles coming back from injury this Summer is another story and we will have to wait and see how everything still comes out.