PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins completely dissed Justine

JustineTime
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM
'S'OK, though; I can't stand his bombastic bloviating anywhoo. :rolleyes: :tape: :tape: :tape:

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
How did he diss Justine? She probably refused an interview:rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I thought it was Justine that walked on and totally ignored him :confused:

Paneru
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I thought it was Justine that walked on and totally ignored him :confused:
If she did, kudos to her!

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Bud Collins is a good example of what is wrong with US tennis.
Old, feeble, nearly senile.

Anyone want to guess about today's NBC ratings?

A great match, I think the ratings will be half of last year.

And they will continue to go down

Drake1980
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I think he drives Justine insane, she just didn't want to deal with him!

50Sense
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Something tells me that Bud Collins does not have the authority to just wave off an interview with the finalist. I'm sure Justine has something to do with that decision.

JustineTime
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
OK, maybe 'twas t'other way around...

:hehehe:

:shout: I'd like ta think so!!! :shout:

:lol:

R. Federer
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM

two non americans is the reasons it would be lower, not quality of the tennis

harloo
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM
You know Justine didn't wan't to talk to him. He didn't diss her at all. I wouldn't wan't to smile and talk after a Wimbledon final loss either.:lol:

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
two non americans is the reasons it would be lower, not quality of the tennisThat's the way it's going to be.

NBC, ESPN, USA, and CBS have all been selling tennis in the US as
US stars winning easily, a lot of it tape delayed borefests.

Now, they have nothing. They chased all the casual fans away,
and the US may not win another major for 10 years

The ratings will disappear

eck
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I can't say I feel bad for Bud.

auntie janie
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
You know Justine didn't wan't to talk to him. He didn't diss her at all. I wouldn't wan't to smile and talk after a Wimbledon final loss either.:lol:

Exactly. A lot of times the losing player chooses not to do an interview on their way off the court.

Justine Fan
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Who'd want to talk to that senile old clown anyway? Even if I'd won I wouldn't want to talk to him! The man is insane and highly annoying.

GOOD ON YOU JUSTINE FOR IGNORING THE OLD GIT I love ya Justine ... you so make me laugh ... you know what to do when it comes to interviews ;)

JustineTime .... can you please change the thread title to "Justine disses that old git Bud Collins" :devil:

JustineTime
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
JustineTime .... can you please change the thread title to "Justine disses that old git Bud Collins" :devil:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:58 PM
once again, justine is just blah don't wanna say it.

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Exactly. A lot of times the losing player chooses not to do an interview on their way off the court.

It happened last year too when Lindsay was not interviewed by him either. In fact, as long as I have been watching Wimbledon finals that was the first time I think I never saw the finalist talk to him.

Perhaps it's because the players are now interviewed on Centre Court by Sue Barker and the Network is simply saving airtime?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:21 AM

I could write a few choice words to describe YOUR comments...but... i will rise above and laugh it off for its comedic value... :lol: ... :wavey:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM
That's the way it's going to be.

:rolleyes: are u freaking kidding?

Justeenium
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
because he was not nice to her in her RG interview so she probably snubbed him too.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
It happened last year too when Lindsay was not interviewed by him either. In fact, as long as I have been watching Wimbledon finals that was the first time I think I never saw the finalist talk to him.

Perhaps it's because the players are now interviewed on Centre Court by Sue Barker and the Network is simply saving airtime?

Bud talked to Serena in 2004...she told him to only ask a few questions though because she was in tears :sad:

and something tells me that he's going to want to interview both men tomorrow, regardless of the outcome

Barrie_Dude
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Hey! I like Bud Collins

VS Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Lindsay did not talk to him last year either. She did not even participate in the on court interview after the final.

Lindsay was so close I did not blame her. Justine probably just did not want to endure Bud's annoying blather.

MikeJones
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
The ratings the US are bad. Sharapova sells however, like shes does in any country.

Even though Shaparova speaks great english, and lives alot in the US, you still have to label her a non-American.

Truth is, Momo and HH are not draws in the US, and prolly never will be. You can add Kim as well

UncleZeke
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM
I like Bud also. He is one of tennis's biggest fans and has done a lot for the sport.Too bad he got old. I'm guessing most people who don't care for him aren't old enough to remember him in his prime.

Barrie_Dude
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I like Bud also. He is one of tennis's biggest fans and has done a lot for the sport.Too bad he got old. I'm guessing most people who don't care for him aren't old enough to remember him in his prime.Yeah! I have been listening for better then 30 years! He's likely forgotten more about the sport then most will ever know

drake3781
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM
OK, maybe 'twas t'other way around...

:hehehe:

:shout: I'd like ta think so!!! :shout:

So why don't you change your title then, instead of continuing to accuse him publicly?

JustineTime
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:26 AM
So why don't you change your title then, instead of continuing to accuse him publicly?

Because it is what it is. I don't need to change it to make you (or me) feel better. :shrug:

Marcus Jordan
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Hey that reminds me, did Stefanik do a press conference after he lost to JB? I was looking for his interview at the Wimbledon site and its not there.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I hope she did snub him, I can't stand him.

égalité
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM
He's the only one who pronounces Maria Sharapova's last name correctly so I have to give him some credit :x

Understandable, though. I wouldn't want to talk if I just lost the most important match of my career.

RJWCapriati
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Bud Collins is an old idiot

borisy
Jul 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Tennis isn't played for American channels' ratings. I'm sure the ratings were pretty good for European channels.

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
He's the only one who pronounces Maria Sharapova's last name correctly so I have to give him some credit :x

Understandable, though. I wouldn't want to talk if I just lost the most important match of my career.

Hehe and that is what I really like about Bud is he makes an effort to pronounce a player's name correctly.

I actually miss his days as a commentator with Dick Enberg. He was animated and funny and frankly, today's commentators could use a little humor.

Purple Rainbow
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Who is Bud Collins? :confused:

rottweily
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Who is Bud Collins? :confused:

A senile, old american ass.

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
A senile, old american ass.

He deserves more credit than that. After all he is one of the sport's greatest tennis historians and despite being a little eccentric and animated, he really is rather respected in the game.

MisterMan
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:04 PM
He visibly makes the player very uncomfortable during his "interviews" by using ridiculous words, analogies and jokes about thier nationality.
"Freuling Forehand Steffi" "Belgian Bomber Clijsters" "Fast Frenchie Amelie" are some of his cringe-worthy cutsie phrases.

laurie
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
The ratings the US are bad. Sharapova sells however, like shes does in any country.

Even though Shaparova speaks great english, and lives alot in the US, you still have to label her a non-American.

Truth is, Momo and HH are not draws in the US, and prolly never will be. You can add Kim as well

Why not? Why can't Americans appreciate good players?

JustineTime
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Why not? Why can't Americans appreciate good players?

We can. It's the commentators who apparently don't get that. :tape: :rolleyes:

laurie
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
That's a shame. I hope it changes. I love the hardcourt season.

lizchris
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
That's the way it's going to be.

Considering they had two winners last year, I think that is stretching it a bit.:rolleyes:

Barrie_Dude
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Bud Collins is an old idiotSo are you!:fiery:

Barrie_Dude
Jul 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
A senile, old american ass.:fiery: :fiery:

trivfun
Jul 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Bud should be credited of bringing tennis to the spotlight. He was the first television commentator when he covered tennis on PBS for at WGBH in Boston in 1963-1980, CBS 1968-1972, and NBC from 1972. He first started with the Boston Herald as a tennis writer then the Globe. It was he that advocated the coverage of tennis and thanks to him and others, he has brought the game along.

With that said, Bud does have a tendency to twist history a just a bit with minimal harm. He will make up somethings to add flair to the story but he figured that no one is looking at this sport seriously so he has to do it to bring attraction. He has had people who didn't like him like Chris Evert who didn't respect his commentary and pushed him out of the NBC booth of Wimbledon. Now that was a rivalry.

Yes, I do think Bud needs to cover other sports besides tennis which he was very good at. But tennis is his money sport.

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
He was with a newspaper, and announced some tv tennis.
Big deal.

The players make the game. The only announcers I want are former players.

Who are those 2 metrosexuals on NBC? Robinson and Roberts?

Tennis has enough of a wimpy image in the US.

NBC doesn't need those 2.

trivfun
Jul 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
He was with a newspaper, and announced some tv tennis.
Big deal.

The players make the game. The only announcers I want are former players.

Who are those 2 metrosexuals on NBC? Robinson and Roberts?

Tennis has enough of a wimpy image in the US.

NBC doesn't need those 2.

I agree with that assesment concerning metrosexuals. I wish those metrosexuals would have Mark Harmon appeal like Bill McCatee to bring women into the game. Or have a gay person instead of these dorky guys whose moms had to find them a woman.

Bud did his job well and a Hall of Famer but he needs to consider retirement. Bringing former players, they don't look at their own career objectively and they have issue with other greats who use to kick their butts. like McEnroe and Lendl which was the real rivalry.

sfselesfan
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Bud Collins irks me...and Justine is evil...so I could care less about whether the two ever speak.

SF

No.1Hingis
Jul 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I guess... without not had seen Bud Collins (just couple times) cause obviously we have latins commentors...

I guess.. Justine has the right to not give an interview to a single person of media.. she certianly has to know Bud is somebody who always requieres that interviews.. so she could expect that.. I guess.. she was mad or sad and thats understandable.. is not like she was first time in that stage and she could be happy with a least be into finals.. Justine is not looking to reach last steps.. her goal is WIN (thats absolute)..

so.. maybe she had to stop a little and ask a couple of questions and go ahead.. so she has THE CHANCE to not do that.. so..

And American tennis and etc etc etc... well.. definitely they have to do something with players.. but .. is not OLD.. just need time to gain ag confidence.. is a crisis.. nothing to worry.. times to times.. and news figures have to come... but theres a process.. the european formule is working great, as oriental contries are working too.. so.. there is something they can learn..