PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Why Justine LOST: Reason #1

Reuchlin
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Reason number #1 why Justine lost:

She was too agressive. Instead of letting Momo self destruct she attacked the net far too much, giving Amelie the opening to hit reflex shots instead of shots that she really needed to think about. As soon as Justine would sit at the baseline the errors from Amelie would come.

Paneru
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:25 PM
No, it was the psychic! ;)

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM

She was too agressive. Instead of letting Momo self destruct she attacked the net far too much, giving Amelie the opening to hit reflex shots instead of shots that she really needed to think about. As soon as Justine would sit at the baseline the errors from Amelie would come.

Justine served and volleyed wonderfully in the first set. And while that doesn't come naturally for Justine, it won her the first set. Serve and volleying comes more natural for Amelie, of which she patiently waited for her opportunity to attack.

It was nice to finally see a Wimbledon final in which serve and volley tennis made a comeback on grass....the way it is supposed to be played.

Justine had the right idea, however, it just came more naturally for Amelie on a fast court.

Pengwin
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Reason #1 = Amelie played significantly better, took chances, made amazing plays etc.

No more reasons.

.ivy.
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Is this really necessary? :rolleyes: Amelie earned her win fair and square, let's not try and detract from her win. I'm sure Justine will be back next year, and will have a better gauge of how to play Amelie on grass.

Reuchlin
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I don't know why you all think this is a jab at Amelie. I think she did play BETTER--HOWEVER, there are things that Justine could have done differently--afterall it wasn't a blow out.

Meeek
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Reason #1 = Amelie played significantly better, took chances, made amazing plays etc.

No more reasons.

:worship: :yeah:

tennisbear7
Yeah. I just wish fans would stop and think about the opponent's play and how it was superior. In the end, Ame's nerves held up. What could Justine do? Miraculously save those two aces in the last game?

Mother_Marjorie
Is this really necessary? :rolleyes: Amelie earned her win fair and square, let's not try and detract from her win. I'm sure Justine will be back next year, and will have a better gauge of how to play Amelie on grass.

Yeah, I'm very proud of Justine for winning Eastbourne, and playing a close Wimbledon finals after losing first round last year at Wimbledon.

Both players are proving they are the best on tour this year.

Giggles
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Justine served and volleyed wonderfully in the first set. And while that doesn't come naturally for Justine, it won her the first set. Serve and volleying comes more natural for Amelie, of which she patiently waited for her opportunity to attack.

It was nice to finally see a Wimbledon final in which serve and volley tennis made a comeback on grass....the way it is supposed to be played.

Justine had the right idea, however, it just came more naturally for Amelie on a fast court.

Agreed :yeah:

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM

No more reasons.

This is the #1 reason. End of story:rolleyes:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
The only reason I see why Justine lost = 1st serve :tape:

If she had done better with it, she could have won....

...but that is past. Amelie deserves it. Congrats Amelie!

Dexter
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
One and only reason... Amelie played better than her today. End this kind of crappy discussion :(

Yasmine
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I hope this is not gonna turn into a bashing thread on either player;) Amélie was better, the win was deserved for Amélie and that's what counts. :hug: and kuddos to Juju fans but she's done great this year since RG, Eastbourne and now a final in Wimbly, nothing to be ashamed of. As she said herself she'll come back next year hungry for it :yeah:

KBdoubleu
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Amelie played better than her, end of story

.ivy.
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm very proud of Justine for winning Eastbourne, and playing a close Wimbledon finals after losing first round last year at Wimbledon.

Both players are proving they are the best on tour this year.

I agree. I can't wait for next year, when she's really used to the surface (although she may shock us all and lose first round again :) ).

It'll be interesting to see how both of them match up on hard courts, maybe a rivalry?

tommyk75
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Amelie played smart and solid, and her serve held up under the pressure beautifully. Justine obviously got tight after the first set, and her first serve fell apart. And she made so many careless errors from the baseline. It was like she wanted it too badly and refused to wait to win the points.

Although I still think Justine at her best would beat Amelie at her best pretty handedly, it doesn't matter; today, Amelie was clearly the better player. Congratulations to Amelie, whose pure joy and redemption made this the most emotional Grand Slam win since Jana Novotna got the monkey off her back.

Grohl
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM

the one and only reason!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
She faced a better player. She lost.

azinna
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Actually, Justine wasn't too consistent from the baseline today. Staying back and waiting for errors would have gotten her in more trouble.

JustineTime
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I blame it on the wind. :shrug: :p

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Hmm....I don't know about that. Justine wasn't really doing well from the baseline either, plus Momo's short balls were MAKING Justine come to the net...and there Momo just had brilliant passing shots. Momo played well today, really good. Nice to see that Momo was ready to step it up at the plate and stay with Justine, the mental giant...and not crumble like some players like to do.

vettipooh
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Amelie won...Justine lost...story end!!!

LoveFifteen
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I agree. Justine was breaking wind the entire match. Poor little tummy! :lol:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Reason #1 - Justine did not cheat! :wavey:

radics
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Reason: Amelie was better. <-- End of story!

LoveFifteen
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM

ALLEZ! :angel:

rottweily
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I see a great rivalry coming up when both of them keep playing soo well.

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I think one of the reasons why she lost composure was her return of serve, i have no idea what she was trying out there, Amelie did not serve that well today and Henin all of the sudden started to miss the returns trying to go for and Mauresmo was holding serve much easier than in the first set.

But the main reason why she lost was Amelie, she played grass court tennis to perfection, she looked so good at the net, and returned serve better in the last two sets.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
LoveFifteen = IDIOT :rolleyes:
Bounty Hunter = MORON :rolleyes:

terjw
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:29 PM
It sounds glib - but one huge reason she didn't win was she didn't hold serve when she broke back in the second set. That was a huge game and she certainly lost a couple of points she shouldn't have. Of course no guarantees she'd have won then but the momentum was swinging back to her and she was a set up.

Yes I know at the end of the day Amelie played better and simply deserved it. But it's not disrespectful to Amelie to look at where Justine could have done better. Actually as far as the third set goes I will just say Amelie played better and leave it at that. In particular she served really well - too well to make me think that she was ever going to be broken then.

Justine Fan
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
LoveFifteen = IDIOT :rolleyes:
Bounty Hunter = MORON :rolleyes:

We know ...... it's been proven many times and most of the board think so too!

ALLEZ!!

Can't see any of their favourites in the Wimbledon final or anywhere near it or having won any significant trophies this year, can you? :haha:

thelittlestelf
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
IMO the biggest mistake she made was not capitalizing on the Mauresmo return of serve, which 90% of the time was a high floating slice (even off some second serves).

Mauresmo's great play had more to do with it than anything, though, and Justine surprisingly let that get into her head.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:38 PM

Yeah, like that famous "broken ankle" that sent Hingis running into retirement. :wavey:

harloo
Amelie just outclassed Justine in the last two sets. She played the perfect serve and volley game and it startled Justine. Everyone always talks about how Justine is a finesse player but to me she is a basliner with a few shots. It's not her game to serve and volley and that's what won Amelie the title.

LoveFifteen
We know ...... it's been proven many times and most of the board think so too!

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

kosmikgroove
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Mauresmo won because believe it or not... she played better. She handled her nerves better and overall had a better service game.

Justine, next year you get that serve under control!

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I think Justine did enough to win but she got caught. She didn't serve in the high sixties on first serve like I thought she needed to. She didn't slice too much and she went for her shots especially her backhand which is good. She hit some pretty wicked flat backhands to Mauresmo's forehand and they came back. Mauresmo didn't give her that many angles though and it hurt Justine. She did not open up the court at the baseline like she would have liked to. The thing I've been saying though is Justine will NEVER win Wimbledon unless she serves in the mid-sixties on first serve for about a year now. She SHOULD have taken something off of it if Mauresmo was just chipping them back. It has nothing to do with being aggressive in my opinion. It has to do with her not letting go of a habit that will likely continue to hurt her chances at Wimbledon. A habit I'm sure her coach has told her about especially to win this slam.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif Reasons Why Justine LOS... (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8511770#post8511770) Jul 9th, 2006 12:42 AM LoveFifteen (member.php?u=37273) I'm not an idiot. I'm a moron. :kiss:
Goodrep of the century :haha: :haha: :haha:

Kart
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Waiting for Amelie to self destruct is always a dangerous play IMHO.

Justine was going for a bit too much too soon though.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Reason why Justine lost: Because she didn't win.

cellophane
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I thought Justine kind of took her foot off the gas pedal after the first set. :shrug:

vwfan
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif Reasons Why Justine LOS... (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8511770#post8511770) Jul 9th, 2006 12:42 AM LoveFifteen (member.php?u=37273) I'm not an idiot. I'm a moron. :kiss:
Goodrep of the century :haha: :haha: :haha: :lol:

rottweily
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Amelie just outclassed Justine in the last two sets. She played the perfect serve and volley game and it startled Justine. Everyone always talks about how Justine is a finesse player but to me she is a basliner with a few shots. It's not her game to serve and volley and that's what won Amelie the title.

Complete bullshit. To do good serve and volley you have to have a good serve: Justine first set. 13 of 16 = 81 %. In second and third set the serve was off.
Amelie had a magnificent serve in the third set.

Justine has proven time and time again that she is a complete player, completer than Amelie.

Lulu.
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
:zzz:

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Justine has proven time and time again that she is a complete player, completer than Amelie.

She wasn't as complete today.

*JR*
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Justine was making the kind of UE's that indicate fatigue, meaning that playing Eastbourne was probably a mistake. Had she used Birmingham as her grass warmup instead, she'd have started on Wed. or Thu. (several days after the RG final) then had ova a week off B4 her first match @ Wimby.

Infiniti2001
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Complete bullshit. To do good serve and volley you have to have a good serve: Justine first set. 13 of 16 = 81 %. In second and third set the serve was off.
Amelie had a magnificent serve in the third set.

who pissed in your beer?? :lol:

saki
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think Justine's volleys were better than Amelie's today. The net stats bear that out too. Amelie played a good match but she doesn't serve & volley better than Justine.

Il Primo!
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM

:lol:

SJW
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM

No more reasons.

TROOF.

UncleZeke
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
reason #1 ) she just lost to a little bit better player today.
both girls had more winners than unforced errors. total points for match, Amelie 92 and Justine 88. Amelie held her nerves and serve when it mattered in the third set.
A very deserving champion today. It won't surprise me if Amelie wins Wimbledon again and I expect Justine to win Wimbledon before she retires. A wonderful match to watch by two great players.

trivfun
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Justine prefers basliners than to another serve & volleyer. Another words, she hates playing herself. My father told me this before the match and proved to be true. She rather play a Sharpova or a Williams sister because they prefer the baseline and they don't mix their strokes with spins and slices like Amelie does on a consistent basis when coming to the net. Even though Amelie missed a lot of easy shots, she never let Justine get into a rhythm. Another words, she used her inconsistency as a weapon in the second set and in the third set, she used the wide serve to keep Justine off balance.

Justine Fan
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:47 PM

:rolleyes:

At least it was Amelie Mauresmo World No. 1 in the Wimbledon final and not Jelena Jankovic World no. 40 something in the 3rd round :haha:

You know absolutely Jack Shytt about finesse tennis, so please keep your ass out of it when talking about finesse tennis!

If Amelie had outclassed Justine in the last two sets, surely the score would be 6-1 6-1 or even 6-0!

Giggles
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Justine was making the kind of UE's that indicate fatigue, meaning that playing Eastbourne was probably a mistake. Had she used Birmingham as her grass warmup instead, she'd have started on Wed. or Thu. (several days after the RG final) then had ova a week off B4 her first match @ Wimby.

Yep, she looked fatigued. But it would have been too tough to play French Open and Birmingham back to back. Perhaps, losing in the 2nd or 3rd round in Eastbourne might have helped her to win Wimbledon.

*JR*
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Yep, she looked fatigued. But it would have been too tough to play French Open and Birmingham back to back. Perhaps, losing in the 2nd or 3rd round in Eastbourne might have helped her to win Wimbledon.
She'd have had a WC @ Birmingham, and thus a longer break than from the Eastbourne final to Wimby, as Slams don't have WC's. Though the real problem is how short the grass season is. There should be @ least 3 weeks between RG and Wimby, with the RG finalists automatically eligible to play a warmup event after a week off, with a week off after that (if they want it) B4 Wimby. Only 2 weeks between these Slams is ridiculous.

WorldWar24
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:22 PM
youwin some, you lose some. Henin won lots of big matches the least couple of years, and quite frankly, she didn't deserve some of those wins. Or should I say, her opponent deserved it more but she gutted it out. Today Amelie didn't let that happen

Apoleb
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Justine lost because:

1- Her serve was a mess from the second set on
2- Her ground strokes were down from the second set on, especially her forehand, and that was very surprising. She usually has patches of bad play in a match, but not like that.
3- Amelie's serving in the last set

For whoever said that Amelie "startled" Justine with her serve and volleying tactics, he's either stupid or didn't watch the match. What kept Justine going in the third set was her serve and volleying. If anything, Justine was volleying better than Amelie, even when she was struggling with her ground strokes.

I think Justine peaked a bit too early on grass. She was playing perfect tennis in the first week, but since her match against Hantuchova, she started going down. Her serve also wasn't as good as it was in Eastbourne and even in Roland Garros. She usually hits a lot more aces.

*JR*
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM
But maybe Justine was playing so much S & V because (due to the fatigue factor discussed above) she was looking for the points 2B short, whoever took a particular one. 3 straight weeks of tennis (even with the off days) is a lot for her, and it seemed like she had only one more good set left to give.

JustineTime
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:53 PM
TROOF.

Um, that's spelled t-r-u-t-h, Rover. ;) :rolleyes: :p

new-york
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM

At least it was Amelie Mauresmo World No. 1 in the Wimbledon final and not Jelena Jankovic World no. 40 something in the 3rd round :haha:

You know absolutely Jack Shytt about finesse tennis, so please keep your ass out of it when talking about finesse tennis!

If Amelie had outclassed Justine in the last two sets, surely the score would be 6-1 6-1 or even 6-0!

your lack of ability to answer without a big bashing sentence for some players you don't like is highly annoying & for sure, shows how much you try to be more mature than the ones you're constantly blaming for being "sore losers".

treufreund
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM
she needed to keep up her serve percentage and also to come into net more in 2nd set so that amelie would feel pressured to do more with the returns thus forcing her to miss more returns...

Marcus1979
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM
if Williams fans made similar threads we get crusified :shrug: :o

Reuchlin
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
if Williams fans made similar threads we get crusified :shrug: :o

Clearly the Wimbledon final was not a "blow out." This allows much room for discussion as it was only one break in the third set that decided the champion. I don't think none of us are arguing that Amelie didn't deserve the win, or that she won it based on Justine's errors. Appreciating Amelie's win does not, however, mean that we cannot evaluate Justine's play...which SOMEHOW contributed to her loss.

Gowza
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM
well i think she lost because she dropped her level of play and mauresmo picked it up. i was before this wimby one of the people that didn't understand mauresmo's grass skillz and it still don't think the volleys are that terific, she's good at it but imo the reason she is so good on grass is her serve which on other surfaces i've never really noticed. i always thought her serve was pretty average. but in this final her serve was spot on and she was serving a lot of first serves, this meant justine had very few chances and the couple she had to get back into the match she couldn't take. justine was hoever playing below par imo despite the good serving from mauresmo. henin wasn't serving very well which i think is something she's done well over the tournament and it contributed a lot to way the match went.

trivfun
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Maybe, the Ken Rosewall or Darlene Hard curse hit her.

Melly Flew Us
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
reason # n:
justine's little friends have returned. she needs to rest well otherwise they may affect the rest of her year.

harloo
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:50 PM

If you think that little dig at Venus bothers me then you are sadly mistaken. The fact remains that she has nothing to do with Justine losing the final.:lol:

Finesse tennis is Martina Hingis, Federer and a few others on tour. Justine has some finesse elements to her game but she is a baseliner. She hits a one handed backhand and volley's occasionally but otherwise she takes big cuts at the ball to set her next shot up for the winner.

Face it, Amelie just outclassed Justine. She had great positional pressure and played that old school serve and volley game. Justine just couldn't adapt to the conditions and Amelie's brilliant play.

Enough said.;)

tennisfan2480
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
The way I saw it ... Justine went for a bit too much when she didn't have to. Amelie was steady on defense. And Amelie served amazingly. That's pretty much it.

Apoleb
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Justine has some finesse elements to her game but she is a baseliner. She hits a one handed backhand and volley's occasionally but otherwise she takes big cuts at the ball to set her next shot up for the winner.

Face it, Amelie just outclassed Justine. She had great positional pressure and played that old school serve and volley game. Justine just couldn't adapt to the conditions and Amelie's brilliant play

You are either stupid or didn't watch the match or both. Both came in nearly as much to the net, and Justine ended up having a better winning percentage at the net than Amelie. The difference in this match was Amelie's serve, and Justine's unforced errors on her service games.

Finesse tennis is Martina Hingis, Federer and a few others on tour. Justine has some finesse elements to her game but she is a baseliner.

Oh god. Please tell me you're kidding. Justine is the model of the all-rounded player in the woman's game. She's not a "baseliner with some finesse elements." She nearly has every shot in the book. But anyway, I'm not going to bother explaining to you what Justine's game is all about. You're too stupid to be worth it.

harloo
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Justine lost because:

1- Her serve was a mess from the second set on
2- Her ground strokes were down from the second set on, especially her forehand, and that was very surprising. She usually has patches of bad play in a match, but not like that.
3- Amelie's serving in the last set

For whoever said that Amelie "startled" Justine with her serve and volleying tactics, he's either stupid or didn't watch the match. What kept Justine going in the third set was her serve and volleying. If anything, Justine was volleying better than Amelie, even when she was struggling with her ground strokes.

I think Justine peaked a bit too early on grass. She was playing perfect tennis in the first week, but since her match against Hantuchova, she started going down. Her serve also wasn't as good as it was in Eastbourne and even in Roland Garros. She usually hits a lot more aces.

You're the stupid one since you can't disagree with someone without resulting to name calling. I watched the match from beginning to the end, not only did Amelie's accurate serve and volley game in the second and third set startle Justine but the fact that Amelie held her nerve made her lose focus.

Stop making excuses. Justine didn't peak too early, she just lost the match to the better player that day.;)

mykarma
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

Justine Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM
You are either stupid or didn't watch the match or both. Both came in nearly as much to the net, and Justine ended up having a better winning percentage at the net than Amelie. The difference in this match was Amelie's serve, and Justine's unforced errors on her service games.

Oh god. Please tell me you're kidding. Justine is the model of the all-rounded player in the woman's game. She's not a "baseliner with some finesse elements." She nearly has every shot in the book. But anyway, I'm not going to bother explaining to you what Justine's game is all about. You're too stupid to be worth it.

Don't bother Jorge286, it's like :banghead:

It's very obvious from what the op states that they have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the game of tennis, the way Justine plays or what shots are what! So save your typing fingers and let the op spew out all that they think they know about Justine's game or the way she plays. After all, posters who understand and know the way Justine plays will have a real good laugh at reading the op's analysis of Justine's game won't they? :haha:

So ... what do you think of Justine's ball bashing game? :lol: :lol: :lol: I say she's just as good as Lindsay when it comes to baseline tennis don't you? :devil:

saki
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM
You're the stupid one since you can't disagree with someone without resulting to name calling. I watched the match from beginning to the end, not only did Amelie's accurate serve and volley game in the second and third set startle Justine but the fact that Amelie held her nerve made her lose focus.

Stop making excuses. Justine didn't peak too early, she just lost the match to the better player that day.;)

No-one is saying that Amelie wasn't the better player. But that was down to her serve and not her volleys. Justine made fewer mistakes at the net and won more points at the net. The key to the match was that Justine dropped her serve more often due to poor serving than Amelie did.

Justine Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:27 PM
If you think that little dig at Venus bothers me then you are sadly mistaken. The fact remains that she has nothing to do with Justine losing the final.:lol:

Finesse tennis is Martina Hingis, Federer and a few others on tour. Justine has some finesse elements to her game but she is a baseliner. She hits a one handed backhand and volley's occasionally but otherwise she takes big cuts at the ball to set her next shot up for the winner.

Face it, Amelie just outclassed Justine. She had great positional pressure and played that old school serve and volley game. Justine just couldn't adapt to the conditions and Amelie's brilliant play.

Enough said.;)

Who are the others?

hablo
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Momo's serve and volley game was definitely working better in the second and third sets :yeah:
(and so were her passing shots :drool: )

Bumsby
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
the wind strangely blew only on Justine's side ;)

Bumsby
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
The way I saw it ... Justine went for a bit too much when she didn't have to.
I agree. That's something you do when you want to win so badly, but somehow you're afraid of losing. It's a vicious circle: the more mistakes you make, the more you get nervous, and you make even more mistakes. It used to happen to Amélie before she grew up ;)

saki
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
the wind strangely blew only on Justine's side ;)

Justine never handles wind well. :o That's obviously her fault - it's the same for both players and some players handle it better than others, but it is true. See also the Toronto final where Kim adjusted to it far better than Justine. It's not an excuse, it's an analysis.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Justine was better at the net in the FIRST set....momo was pathetic at the net in the first set, but after that 1st Momo was doing better at the net than Justine...Momo's volleys look better too...imo.

Jum_p_Over
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Who are the others?

Schnyder is a good example. I think you need to spend less time in this thread defending your favorite to the death and post in the mauresmo defeats henin wimbledon thread... or are we still too sour? :lol:

Bumsby
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Justine never handles wind well. :o That's obviously her fault - it's the same for both players and some players handle it better than others, but it is true. See also the Toronto final where Kim adjusted to it far better than Justine. It's not an excuse, it's an analysis.
Ok, but now that you take it seriously, Amélie does not handle the wind particularly well either. I remember her last match she played at Indian Wells, she lost in the 2nd round and she blamed the wind for it.

saki
Jul 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Ok, but now that you take it seriously, Amélie does not handle the wind particularly well either. I remember her last match she played at Indian Wells, she lost in the 2nd round and she blamed the wind for it.

No, I think Justine's problem was that not only was there wind which she doesn't like but she was going for too much unnecessarily and that was giving her a smaller margin for error. Basically, I think Justine thought she had to be aggressive all of the time and Amelie had a better mixture of offence and defence. But the decisive factor was Amelie's great serving and Justine's poor (for her) serving. Just look at the ace count - Justine hit 9 aces against Kim in Eastbourne and just one against Amelie in the final. It's almost impossible to win Wimbledon without serving better than your opponent(s).

Justine Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Schnyder is a good example. I think you need to spend less time in this thread defending your favorite to the death and post in the mauresmo defeats henin wimbledon thread... or are we still too sour? :lol:

And you need to spend less time telling me what to do! Is this the only way you think you can get to be powerful then? LOL! As if I'd listen to someone of the likes of you! Please :lol:

Now why are you sour? You state above that you are ... as in the word "we" :lol:

I'm certainly not sour ..... but by the tone of your post, you certainly are ... :wavey:

junlee_vee
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Why am I not surprised that a Justin...er...Justine fan, especially THIS one, brings up Venus Williams as a defense mechanism???? :haha: :haha:

Jum_p_Over
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:31 PM
And you need to spend less time telling me what to do! Is this the only way you think you can get to be powerful then? LOL! As if I'd listen to someone of the likes of you! Please :lol:

Now why are you sour? You state above that you are ... as in the word "we" :lol:

I'm certainly not sour ..... but by the tone of your post, you certainly are ... :wavey:

Um im refering to you by saying we in context with that specific sentence, its an english phrase we use in the states when we are mocking someone.

And why would i be sour, justine betrayed mauresmo, and now destiny has just struck back. Karma's a bitch aint it Justine Fan? Alicia Keys never said it better

" What goes around, comes around.
What goes up, must come down.
It's called Karma baby.
And it goes around. "

Justine's actions were destined for her to lose, and she did

And you seem pretty sour to me, not posting in that thread. Since that's the thread about the match and you didnt post once and then comming to this thread and making fun of venus as if to soothe the pain... How can you say thats not sour, not being able to face the fact that your favorite lost :lol: :lol:

Justine Fan
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Um im refering to you by saying we in context with that specific sentence, its an english phrase we use in the states when we are mocking someone.

And why would i be sour, justine betrayed mauresmo, and now destiny has just struck back. Karma's a bitch aint it Justine Fan? Alicia Keys never said it better

" What goes around, comes around.
What goes up, must come down.
It's called Karma baby.
And it goes around. "

Justine's actions were destined for her to lose, and she did

And you seem pretty sour to me, not posting in that thread. Since that's the thread about the match and you didnt post once and then comming to this thread and making fun of venus as if to soothe the pain... How can you say thats not sour, not being able to face the fact that your favorite lost :lol: :lol:

Blimey .... are you stalking me? Looking through all the threads to see where I've posted. I must report you to the moderators for doing this. :devil:

Did you not check in the thread where it's entitled "Justine Fans congratulation Amelie"? Go take a look, you will see I was one of the many Justine fans that posted in there and I got many good reps for it! :haha: :haha: Idiot! Amazing how you missed that one isn't it?

Gotcha!!! :ras:

That's right ... karma goes around ... so you'd better watch out! Karma is a bitch ain't it Jump ... just look at what happened to your faves :tape: :tape: :D Can't get much worse than that can you? ;)

Destiny eh? You could look at it that it was Amelie's destiny that she would win the title this year.

Jum_p_Over
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Blimey .... are you stalking me? Looking through all the threads to see where I've posted. I must report you to the moderators for doing this. :devil:

Did you not check in the thread where it's entitled "Justine Fans congratulation Amelie"? Go take a look, you will see I was one of the many Justine fans that posted in there and I got many good reps for it! :haha: :haha: Idiot! Amazing how you missed that one isn't it?

Gotcha!!! :ras:

That's right ... karma goes around ... so you'd better watch out! Karma is a bitch ain't it Jump ... just look at what happened to your faves :tape: :tape: :D Can't get much worse than that can you? ;)

Destiny eh? You could look at it that it was Amelie's destiny that she would win the title this year.

It doesn't take a long time to go thru 6 pages and not see a giant blue teddy bear :p

Although it's been a while since ive checked the thread that you said you posted in, but the first time i checked you didnt post there either. But since you did i apologize about that :kiss: Although that does negate the accusation that im stalking you :lol:

And BTW, i dont have any faves, and thank god i dont cuz i dont want to be one of those people that defend their players to the death and blow off any type of post that are critical of their players without any kind of open mind. I do like people to win more than others i will admit, and mauresmo over justine isone of them :yeah:

faste5683
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Net approaches:

Mauresmo: 22 of 45 = 49%

Henin-Hardenne: 27 of 44 = 61%

Have you even seen her play, at all?

:wavey:

IceHock
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Justine lost because Amelie was the better player that day,period.

hablo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Net approaches:

Mauresmo: 22 of 45 = 49%

Henin-Hardenne: 27 of 44 = 61%

Have you even seen her play, at all?

what were the stats for net approaches just for the last two sets ? :p:lol:

faste5683
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Beats me! I just went for the match total, which shows that Justine can play a little serve and volley herself.

hablo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Beats me! I just went for the match total, which shows that Justine can play a little serve and volley herself.

saki
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM

Set 1 was 3/12 for Amelie, 13/16 for Justine

Set 2 was 7/13 for Amelie, 6/17 for Justine

Set 3 was 12/20 for Amelie, 8/11 for Justine

Justine had the better % success in both the first and the third sets.

They both volley well, the difference was that Amelie served better. Serve & volley is about the serve as well as the volley. Justine's 1st serve percentage went from 61% to 55% to 52% over the three sets. Amelie's was at 85% for the crucial final set - once she'd broken Justine in that set, Justine never really had a chance at breaking back.

So, yeah, I really don't understand why people see Amelie as the better volleyer - I think they're both great at the net, which made for a good final - the difference was the serve.

Ryan
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I don't think Amelie necessarily volleyed better today, but I think she came to net at the right times, whereas Justine rushed the net on some poor approaches late in the last two sets to pressure Mauresmo. Although Amelie has a poorer percentage of net points won, she won the important points at net.

hablo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I don't think Amelie necessarily volleyed better today, but I think she came to net at the right times, whereas Justine rushed the net on some poor approaches late in the last two sets to pressure Mauresmo. Although Amelie has a poorer percentage of net points won, she won the important points at net.
:drool:

hablo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Set 1 was 3/12 for Amelie, 13/16 for Justine

Set 2 was 7/13 for Amelie, 6/17 for Justine

Set 3 was 12/20 for Amelie, 8/11 for Justine

Justine had the better % success in both the first and the third sets.

They both volley well, the difference was that Amelie served better. Serve & volley is about the serve as well as the volley. Justine's 1st serve percentage went from 61% to 55% to 52% over the three sets. Amelie's was at 85% for the crucial final set - once she'd broken Justine in that set, Justine never really had a chance at breaking back.

So, yeah, I really don't understand why people see Amelie as the better volleyer - I think they're both great at the net, which made for a good final - the difference was the serve.
Thanks for the stats :yeah:
Sharapova and Jhh net approaches may have been more effective, they both beat Momo in that department :worship:
I'm just happy Mauresmo finally got to hold the trophy :bounce:

JustineTime
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:17 PM
No, I think Justine's problem was that not only was there wind which she doesn't like but she was going for too much unnecessarily and that was giving her a smaller margin for error. Basically, I think Justine thought she had to be aggressive all of the time and Amelie had a better mixture of offence and defence. But the decisive factor was Amelie's great serving and Justine's poor (for her) serving. Just look at the ace count - Justine hit 9 aces against Kim in Eastbourne and just one against Amelie in the final. It's almost impossible to win Wimbledon without serving better than your opponent(s).

Best analysis I've seen thus far. :yeah: Justine couldn't buy a first serve, it seemed, after the first set. :shrug: Amelie outserved, and, in general, after the first set outplayed Justine. One of the things that historically has set Justine apart from the rest of the pack has been her uncanny ability to win the big points. Amazingly, Amelie played the best clutch tennis of her career, IMO. Justine neither said nor did anything to detract from that fact, and she gave Amelie her well-deserved kudos after the match, not even allowing Amelie to give her the the "too tired" out. :shrug:

If you can't at least give Justine HER well-deserved kudos for handling defeat graciously AND gracefully, you are a small person indeed. :shrug: My condolences.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Exactly..it ain't about how much you win at the net, it is WHEN you win those points that matter. And really Momo did this better at the crucial points than Justine did...witness the 9th game of the second set with Momo serving. She saved many of those bp's by coming to the net and winning the point.

Mightymirza
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:30 PM
well juju just lost some key points and ame dint lose her nerves thats it...Ju still could have won it,but then it matters how you play on imp points..The MP was a classic example of the match..Momo was just awesome..Deserved to win this one...Anyways france disappointed me in the Football final!! I was in a bar full of italian supporters and I was the only supporting france :lol: Was 'allez'ing everytime i cud and everyone was soo pissed at me..Am glad italy won else I might hav been killed :lol: