PDA

View Full Version : Fan Generalisations

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM
This thread may cause a bit more bickering and if it gets out of hand then I will dispose of it BUT, blah blah whatever!

OK... There seems to be a lot of generalisation surrounding fan bases! Many people on these boards seem to believe that if you are a fan of a particular player then you act and think the same way as other fans of that player. I have only been on these boards for a year and during that time have seen some general comments thrown towards me due to the fact I am a Maria fan and even sometimes coz I am a Dani fan! Its not just me, I know that Williams' sister fans among many many others have the same generalisations towards them!
I understand how people can get preconceived ideas due to one fans bad behaviour or similar, but is it truly necessary for such generalisations and labels to the different fan bases?

I'm sorry to start a thread about this, as I know it doesn't involve most of the board, but I try not to get involved in petty arguments and I feel this is the only way I can actually get my point across and heard!

:wavey:

Erika_Angel
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM
This thread may cause a bit more bickering and if it gets out of hand then I will dispose of it BUT, blah blah whatever!

OK... There seems to be a lot of generalisation surrounding fan bases! Many people on these boards seem to believe that if you are a fan of a particular player then you act and think the same way as other fans of that player. I have only been on these boards for a year and during that time have seen some general comments thrown towards me due to the fact I am a Maria fan and even sometimes coz I am a Dani fan! Its not just me, I know that Williams' sister fans among many many others have the same generalisations towards them!
I understand how people can get preconceived ideas due to one fans bad behaviour or similar, but is it truly necessary for such generalisations and labels to the different fan bases?

I'm sorry to start a thread about this, as I know it doesn't involve most of the board, but I try not to get involved in petty arguments and I feel this is the only way I can actually get my point across and heard!

I find it annoying when some people think that all Maria fans only like her because of her looks. I personally am a fan of her game, not her looks, which I know many are similar. Any tennis fan with half a brain should realise that despite whatever thier opinions on her looks are and the reaction to her looks by the media, the girl has game and some people actually do enjoy watching her play for her game.

I also dislike how any male fan of hers who is older than 20 is considered a pedofile, or at least has the insult hurled by a few immature haters.

It seems that some people hate some players so much that they will attack and insult their fans just because they don't like their favs. It is pety and annoying, and I have a particular person in mind ... any Maria fan would probably know who it is :tape:

It goes for all fans aswell, not Maria's obviously, however she seems to have a large number of people who dislike her for no apparent reason (or at least really dumb ones).

:inlove:
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:49 PM
When people say that the williams fanbase generally consists of black people. :rolleyes: Stupid, ignorant comment.

Bounty Hunter
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
When people say that the williams fanbase generally consists of black people. :rolleyes: Stupid, ignorant comment.

I was about to post that. I'm not black, I just love the best tennis player that ever lived and she happens to be African American.

davidmario
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I'm white and I love Venus - where's the problem?

PatrickRyan
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:12 PM
and im mexican and i love serena :D

davidmario
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
"Many women's tennis fans are gay" - Well I don't think so. There are many straights here.

I'm white and straight and I love Venus Williams:lol:

I hope I'm not the only one in here:scared:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM

You're not! :) But I like Serena Williams.

fifiricci
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Some people think that Kim fans are as nice as Kim and don't mind if she loses. Patently, this is not the truth. ;)

LoveFifteen
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I was about to post that. I'm not black, I just love the best tennis player that ever lived and she happens to be African American.

Steffi was African-American? :angel:

Albireo
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's always fun to watch the fanbases killing each other over some illusory press conference diss aimed at Player B by Player A, when the two players usually care less. If the players hated each other as much as the fanbases would like to believe, this would be pro wrestling rather than tennis.

Bounty Hunter
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:10 PM

:lol:

SJW
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM

Yeah. She was light-skinneded :D

No Name Face
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM

yeah, have you seen that nose? ;)
definitely african american

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Some people think that Kim fans are as nice as Kim and don't mind if she loses. Patently, this is not the truth. ;)
:lol: I'll keep that in mind! :p

Pureracket
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Steffi was African-American? :angel:Nice! LOL!!!!!

miffedmax
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I hate the fact that all us Lena D. fans are stereotyped as loving her just because she's the most awesome player on the tour.

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I hate the fact that all us Lena D. fans are stereotyped as loving her just because she's the most awesome player on the tour.
Damn that must suck!

Sweep
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:34 PM
"Many women's tennis fans are gay" - Well I don't think so. There are many straights here.

I'm straight. And I like women's tennis.

I got generalised for being a glory-hunter once for liking Sharapova. Not the case - in the rest of the sports that I follow I support struggling teams that seldom have success.

Philbo
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM

I th0ught he was talking about Navratilova...

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'm asian and belong to the minority here in the states and some fans is telling me I should support Williams than Devenport. Crazy!!!

Justine Fan
Jul 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM

The majority of Kim fans are very nice, you however are the exception :tape:.

Rexman
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Myskina fans are known as tremendously good-looking, with good senses of humor and million dollar smiles. People are intimidated to approach us sometimes I think because we are so amazing. It stinks :(

Dinkie
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Myskina fans are known as tremendously good-looking, with good senses of humor and million dollar smiles. People are intimidated to approach us sometimes I think because we are so amazing. It stinks :(

I know what you mean, it's hard sometimes to live with. ;)

!<blocparty>!
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I thought we could make generalisations in here. :( Oh well.

Venus fans - retards.
Maria fans - retards.
Kim fans - retards.

Jul 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
wow i am a retard x3. :woohoo:

btw are you called Rafa=FedKilla on MTF or did u just copy it from that person? :p

!<blocparty>!
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM
wow i am a retard x3. :woohoo:

btw are you called Rafa=FedKilla on MTF or did u just copy it from that person? :p

He copied me!

!<blocparty>!
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM
And I just died @ your avatar. :tape:

Dinkie
Jul 12th, 2006, 05:43 PM
OK... There seems to be a lot of generalisation surrounding fan bases! Many people on these boards seem to believe that if you are a fan of a particular player then you act and think the same way as other fans of that player. I have only been on these boards for a year and during that time have seen some general comments thrown towards me due to the fact I am a Maria fan and even sometimes coz I am a Dani fan!

To be honest, the Maria fanbase is very alike imo, there are only a few who have an objective view of her appearance, achievements and tennisability. The others are just screaming in large numbers, supporting eachothers posts, whenever someone makes a critical remark towards Maria Sharapova. And that's what you remember most of the time. So to me they're all the same.

Jul 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
well i'm not like that. :rolleyes:

clonesheep
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Roger Federer said Serena is his favorite player.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Roger Federer said Serena is his favorite player.

I dont think so!

pav
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM

:lol:

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:35 AM
To be honest, the Maria fanbase is very alike imo, there are only a few who have an objective view of her appearance, achievements and tennisability. The others are just screaming in large numbers, supporting eachothers posts, whenever someone makes a critical remark towards Maria Sharapova. And that's what you remember most of the time. So to me they're all the same.
Yes but for those who don't post on a regular basis in the GM, such as myself, you don't get to know what they are actually like and what they think about her game so it becomes an issue of are they ALL the same or just the ones who post in the GM the same?... And thats where my point lies! ;)

BTW Acetennisgrrl, I can't rep u at the moment sorry hun, but no its not coz of your sig... I started this thread before I saw it and I can take ur sig lightheartedly coz I enjoy the fact you are open about it! :p

AlexB
Jul 13th, 2006, 02:56 AM

yeah thats a horrible stereotype :mad: because im actually very approachable :lol:

Prizeidiot
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Well, this is an awfully thoughtful thread Katie :p

But I guess is really only an issue for Maria fans, Serena fans, Venus fans, and Justine fans. I don't think anyone makes any assumptions about me.

Actually, I have one bad habit, which is assuming Serena fans also like Venus and vice cersa. Which makes no sense seeing as I like Venus and not Serena.

Oh, and I guess people make the unfair assumption that a Nicole Pratt fanbase doesn't exist at all, which is also not true. I've seen a couple of them here and there

DutchieGirl
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Oh, and I guess people make the unfair assumption that a Nicole Pratt fanbase doesn't exist at all, which is also not true. I've seen a couple of them here and there

Sure - she has about 5 fans that post here! :lol: ;)

AceTennisGrrrl
Jul 13th, 2006, 03:45 PM
My sig is true and you all know it.

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM
My sig is true and you all know it.
Your sig is gone! :awww: