PDA

View Full Version : Best BBC Wimbledon commentator ?

Helas
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
For me it is John McEnroe!

He is excellent.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Virginia Wade, Jo Durie and Jimmy Connors.

I think Jimmy is the best male commentator. He is so great. So much better than McEnroe.

Farina Elia Fan
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I pressed other - but my answer is PAM :)

-sugi-
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Jimmy Connors for me :)

Libertango
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors are my faves. I also really like Jo Durie and Virginia Wade (Ginny is hilarious! :tape: )

I cannot stand Simon Reed though! :mad:

Fabunny
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I thought Virginia was excellent, very fair

Apoleb
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Joe Durie. Fair and very nice to listen to. I also like that Australian woman.

!<blocparty>!
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Pam doesn't even work for the BBC does she? :confused:

I voted Chris Bailey under other. I love him. :)

deep bass
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Jimmy Connors. I've really enjoyed listening to him. Others are Jo Durie, Tracy Austin and Louise Pleming.

santhuruu
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I love almost every commentator, but for me, I really love Virginia Wade:D

ttlltt69
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
worst is Vijay.. never analyse players games and strategy..his fav quotes -- well done/good job/marvellous/just in /just out remarkeble..I would pay him to keep his mouth shut! Oopss.. his favourite's player is Sania Mirza!!

terjw
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Jo Durie is the best of them all - she's my favourite. I also like Viginia Wade. Of the men commentators I like John Mac and Jimmy Connors

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
for me the team on BBC Radio is alot better than the ones on TV (although some were on both).

Sticky (Stich) and Woody (Woodbridge) were great together :lol:
still no one beats Frew McMillan.

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM
One of the British ones like Joe Durie or Chris Bradnam are pretty good i think, fair and interesting to listen too, I think Pan Shriver is funny too and Jimmy Connors is good too except for when he keeps going "mmmmmm" after every point but he is still better than alot of the others add Chris Bailey and Sam Smith after those

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Louise Pleming is funny, she offered me some light comedy during Vee's loss to Jankovic, i like Virginia wade too lol

AllezCumonJiayou
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
John McEnrone definitely, and virginia is ok, I HATE Jimmy Connors though, and that annoying mmmm sound he always makes after a good point

jamesuk
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Connors and McEnroe have been way over used this Wimbledon, byt oday I was totally sick of the two of them, it seems to have gone to their heads. "In my day blah blah"
They have criminally under used Virgina Wade too, it was an insult to have her do the mixed final while Austin did the womens final.
Chris BAiley and Sam smith, god knows how they managaed to get their foot in the door so much at the BBC.

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I can't stand McEnroe.

cellophane
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
They have criminally under used Virgina Wade too, it was an insult to have her do the mixed final while Austin did the womens final.
Chris BAiley and Sam smith, god knows how they managaed to get their foot in the door so much at the BBC.

I think Virginia got the best match to cover! ;)

Kart
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Jo Durie.

!<blocparty>!
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Connors and McEnroe have been way over used this Wimbledon, byt oday I was totally sick of the two of them, it seems to have gone to their heads. "In my day blah blah"

I agree re: Connors McEnroe. Although Jimmy seems less up himself. Virginia Wade's voice irritiates me no end, Tracy's moreso.

Your last comment = :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111:smash: Chris and Sam are commentary legends, how can you not enjoy their matches. *SMH*

squig2k
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
mcenroe is great and funny

fnuf7
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Jimmy annoys me for always picking the "grinder" to win, and then repeating the words 'grind', 'grinder' and 'grinding' continuously whilst he commentates. Plus I've noticed whenever a point is won, he has this little mini-grunt like he's clearing his throat...it sounds slightly dodgy...:unsure: ;)

The_Pov
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Tracey Austin = http://yelims1.free.fr/Beurk/Beurk01.gif

LDF
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Tracey Austin = http://yelims1.free.fr/Beurk/Beurk01.gif

As soon as I saw your name I knew that would be your comment :lol:

The_Pov
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM
As soon as I saw your name I knew that would be your comment :lol:

I can't stand that woman, I actually don't think the bbc invites her to commentate, I reckon she just turns up, and poor Sue is too afraid to tell her she's not welcome!

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I can't stand that woman, I actually don't think the bbc invites her to commentate, I reckon she just turns up, and poor Sue is too afraid to tell her she's not welcome!
:lol: shes like a bad smell she just doesnt go away

Barrie_Dude
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Johnny Mac

The_Pov
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:22 PM
:lol: shes like a bad smell she just doesnt go away

So true!

watchdogfish
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Jimmy Connors for me, I find him so knowledgeable compared to the others. Special mention also for John Barret, why does he have to retire??

mauresmofan
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Virginia Wade is great - she's so posh and funny. That guy who retired yesterday from commentating for 36 years on the BBC was also great and Jo Durie - all I can say is thank God she works for Eurosport because the rest of their commentators are irritating.

Craigy
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Jo Durie :worship:

UncleZeke
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:19 PM
John McEnroe. He can always find something to talk about, even in a boring match..

SJW
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
It was a hard one.
I chose Connors...but it was between him, McEnroe and Stich for me.

Worst = Austin. Send her back to the States, and keep her there.

Josh
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:27 PM
John Barrett

jamatthews
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Virginia Wade followed closely by Jo Durie (and Chris Bradnam when he's teamed up with Jo).

For all the hatred there is on here, Andrew Castle and Annabel Croft are easily the most vile commentators in my opinion.

auntie janie
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Virginia Wade is great - she's so posh and funny. That guy who retired yesterday from commentating for 36 years on the BBC was also great and Jo Durie - all I can say is thank God she works for Eurosport because the rest of their commentators are irritating.

John Barrett! He was wonderful. Did not feel the need to OVERTALK. :p

I spent quite a few vacations in the UK during Wimbledon weeks, and I was sad to see more and more US commentators being brought over to inundate the viewer with constant chatter, US-style. But I thought Pat Cash was the WORST. :p

Goodbye, John Barrett! You were the best. It's truly the end of an era. :worship:

Monica_Rules
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:30 PM
John Barret and David Mercer are the best. There is another old guy, Bill Threlfal who is rubish he gets fact wrong and juts goes all in a muddle in matches and they always put him on when british women play. All he says about them is they should mix it up with lobs and drop shots all the time but when someone does that and it doesn't work he just says why do they go against there normal play:rolleyes:

Escape
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Has to be John McEnroe for me :)
But I also think Jo Durie is very good

Rachel_
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Jimmy annoys me for always picking the "grinder" to win, and then repeating the words 'grind', 'grinder' and 'grinding' continuously whilst he commentates. Plus I've noticed whenever a point is won, he has this little mini-grunt like he's clearing his throat...it sounds slightly dodgy...:unsure: ;)

:haha: :haha:

lol thats so true but neverheless i like him alot he's really nice. I also love Jonny McEroe .

Tracy is Ok providing Maria isnt playing

Jo Durie is good as are the sky sports team (poor Barry Cowan cant get in there at the beeb lol but he is really good imo)

Viktymise
Jul 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
John McEnroe annoyed me during the womens final when Tracy was talking about the variation in direction of serve frm Mauresmo and said that LenaD is someone who moainly always hits to the fh side on serve then he came in and said that they should be banned frm mentioning her serve and that she is nice but her serve is crap and she wasnt in the class of either Mauresmo or JHH, it wasnt like tracy was saying her was good she was making a point, it just seemed like he made a personal attack on lena for no reason, lena should be credited rather than faltered for having that serve and managing to do what she has done in her career

Cilla
Jul 10th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Jimmy annoys me for always picking the "grinder" to win"

:lol:

So true. But, despite this, I like his commentary. Though JMac is ok too. Of the women I think Jo Durie is the best. I like Sam Smith too.