PDA

View Full Version : To Mauresmo's haters and doubters

floco
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Regardless of the final's results, Mauresmo has just proved she could again make a third Slam final, beating good players such as Ivanovic, Myskina and Sharapova (on grass!!).
So, no, she didnt get to the Aus Open's final "just because" of retirements...
I'm delighted she can finally silence you all.

justine&coria
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Regardless of the final's results, Mauresmo has just proved she could again make a third Slam final, beating good players such as Ivanovic, Myskina and Sharapova (on grass!!).I agree.
So, no, she didnt get to the Aus Open's final "just because" of retirements...But, I don't understand that "so". It's a fact : she won the AO thanks to 3 retirements. Let's see today if she can win a GS in a more "normal" way.

floco
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I agree.
But, I don't understand that "so". It's a fact : she won the AO thanks to 3 retirements. Let's see today if she can win a GS in a more "normal" way.
Yes but she was leading before these 3 players retired. She was the fittest and deserved to win. It's part of tennis. The Aus open is pretty hard physically, you need a good preparation.
Today she's in another GS final, in England with different conditions.

I wrote "so" meaning it's not a coincidence, not a one slam final wonder this year.

winone23
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I'm not a MOMO fan, but If MOMO wins I will respect her, b/c the Aussie slam is a cruel joke no one should have to win their first slam in that fashion. If she wins this fair and square she will prove that she deserves to be number One. So I guess I'll root for her. Go MOMO!

Il Primo!
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Regardless of the final's results, Mauresmo has just proved she could again make a third Slam final, beating good players such as Ivanovic, Myskina and Sharapova (on grass!!).
So, no, she didnt get to the Aus Open's final "just because" of retirements...
I'm delighted she can finally silence you all.

Oh, c'mon, we don't ask the number one to reach a final but to win the whole thing. And there were other tourneys before this one, tourneys where she lost tragically. For instance, a number one can't lose 1 an 2 against anybody :rolleyes:
IF she wins Wimbledon(which won't happen), there will not be doubts anymore

saki
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Even if she wins, we will never know whether she would have won the Australian Open had it not been for the retirements. It doesn't matter. What ifs are such a dumb way of looking at these things. Amelie won the Australian Open because she was the best player in the draw - fitness is most definitely part of that. (And Nastya won her RG because she was the best player in that draw.. Maria won her Wimbledon title because.. you get the idea.)

Il Primo!
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yes but she was leading before these 3 players retired. She was the fittest and deserved to win. It's part of tennis. The Aus open is pretty hard physically, you need a good preparation.
Today she's in another GS final, in England with different conditions.

I wrote "so" meaning it's not a coincidence, not a one slam final wonder this year.

Krajicek would not have beaten her I guess...

But Momo leaded before her opponents's retirement cause they were already injured! Don't turn the story in your way.

WonderfulLee
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
go Momo!

floco
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Krajicek would not have beaten her I guess...

But Momo leaded before her opponents's retirement cause they were already injured! Don't turn the story in your way.
Wrong.
Against Clijsters it was very close, and she was leading in the 3rd set (not by far I agree), when she hurt her ankle.
Against Henin... how bad was she injured? will we ever know? bla bla bla... Let's not get into that again... But if you saw the match, she could certainly move, a lot...

Il Primo!
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Wrong.
Against Clijsters it was very close, and she was leading in the 3rd set (not by far I agree), when she hurt her ankle.
Against Henin... how bad was she injured? will we ever know? bla bla bla... Let's not get into that again... But if you saw the match, she could certainly move, a lot...

:secret: did you know Kim was already injured before she plays Amé (her hip)?

vwfan
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I'm not a MOMO fan, but If MOMO wins I will respect her, b/c the Aussie slam is a cruel joke no one should have to win their first slam in that fashion. If she wins this fair and square she will prove that she deserves to be number One. So I guess I'll root for her. Go MOMO!
ditto!

floco
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Oh, c'mon, we don't ask the number one to reach a final but to win the whole thing. And there were other tourneys before this one, tourneys where she lost tragically. For instance, a number one can't lose 1 an 2 against anybody :rolleyes:
IF she wins Wimbledon(which won't happen), there will not be doubts anymore

I was not talking about the previous years, but 2006. Or since the end of 2005 to be more precise.
About the Number One thing... She's N°1. Period. Now she doesnt win all the time, but hey, she's still N°1, or has anyone overcome her yet?? Or do you want to change the WTA ranking system?
By the way, when Davenport was N°1 last year, did she win a Slam? or the WTA Championships? No, but she was the most consistent. That's what it takes to be N°1.
You're talking about doubts. Believe me, no doubt, she IS N°1 whether she wins or loses today! I know you hate it but that's the way it is!

floco
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM
:secret: did you know Kim was already injured before she plays Amé (her hip)?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh that injury! The injury that took her to the SF! Yeah right her hip really look bad... :tape:

God, some people will say anything to take off credit from Mauresmo.

roooobert
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
well, mauresmo will never be one of the best in my eyes.. I think the no 1 should control matches and be the one who either wins or loses the matches.. mauresmo lets the best palyers win or lose against her.. if venus, serena, sharapova, davenport, the belgians play their best momo will not win...

but she is smart to play serve and volley, because its a fact, she cannot control matches from the baseline with those top spin shots.. anyway, cmon and win today momo!!

nouf
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM
go henin! :-)

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Who hates Momo?????

I don't think there are five people here that dislike her.

pav
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I must be # 5, good on her winning, and she may be a nice person, but not a good player to watch, and it is other players duty to unite and eliminate the ongoing and on recent evidence, growing momo menace :fiery:

dav abu
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Allez Amelie - Wimbledon Champion 2006!

watchdogfish
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I must be # 5, good on her winning, and she may be a nice person, but not a good player to watch, and it is other players duty to unite and eliminate the ongoing and on recent evidence, growing momo menace :fiery:

IMO she's a wonderful player to watch. She has great movement, tons of variety blended with a little power (although she doesn't have the raw power of say a Williams or a Sharapova).

Actually I thought it was quite refreshing to have a final where it wasn't a ball-bashing slugfest from the baseline. I think both Amélie and Justine both proved yesterday that serving and volleying can still be affective at Wimbledon. :)

Anyway I'm deviating...

dav abu
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Mauresmo is a great player to watch - some of what she did yesterday was truly breathtaking! I can't wait to get home and look at the video. It was definitely refreshing to see someone mixing it up so much. I think Momos win can have a seriously good effect on the game - she has shown that you don't need to blast the ball and that serve and volley can work, that has to encourage up and comers. Imagine if she could bring along players that would play like her :drool:

améliemomo
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Amélie victory at Wimbledon--> confirmation that she is a GREAT Champion.

Nothing to say more. :cool:

Bette_Midler
Jul 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Amélie is a beautiful person, she only inspires love :D