PDA

View Full Version : Supergrunt on Martina

supergrunt
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I didn't start really following tenins until after Martina Hingis' retirement. I was always hearing though about how she outsmarted the power players and was a "court artist." I was interested to see what everyone was talking about when she came back. She wasn't really the witty court artist that everyone said that she was; she seemed more like a baseliner... :tape: :tape: Occasionally she would hit a drop shot or good volley but she seems to me just to be a baseliner counterpuncher :tape: I am not denying her greatness or anything but just becuase a girl hits a slice once in a while doesn't make her a "court artist." :tape: :tape: :tape:

UDACHi
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I was thinking this, too. I didn't follow tennis until Wimby 2004. Martina is nothing like she was described.

perseus2006
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM
The "artist" bit goes back to a comment made by Hingis when some reporter observed her comparitively poor fitness. Hingis responded with, "I am not an athlete, I am an artist".

hingisGOAT
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:48 AM
if you understood the subtleties of tennis, you wouldn't have this problem :)

Apoleb
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:07 AM
eh. Martina isn't just a "counterpuncher." I'm not a big fan, but she's clearly extremely talented. She anticipates like no other, and has the court senses to place the ball in the most annoying places for other players, even though she might not have the most powerful groundstrokes. At her best, she likes to control ralleys by doing just that, and then come up with the opening to finish the point. I think that's a short sum up of her game. You could see her talent at most against people who don't overhit her. Just pick up some of her 97 matches, like the Australian Open final against Pierce, and you'd understand.

Vincent
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Hm....In my opinion, if you manage to keep your win-lose record against great players like the Williams sister and Davenport toe to toe, then you should be something more than merely an average baseliner.

She may have a bad day and you catch her on that day. :wavey:

Reuchlin
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM
No, Hingis is special-- but she clearly is not as good as she was (comperatively) at her peek.

Drake1980
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Hingis is the bomb!!!!

Perfection
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I thought the same as supergrunt when I first started following tennis in 2001 and I saw her play.. I was thinking she was going to be like Fabrice Santoro or something... but all she did was just... baseline rally with a few dropshots here, a few lobs there, net approaches occasionally. I was so dissapointed!

But then I analyzed her more and watched her closely, and realized that she has such great anticipation and feel and talented shots that nobody else could pull off. They may not be captivating, mesmerizing shots.. but they are still special and unique to Martina's game.

Billy Moonshine
Jul 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
You really had to see her at the height of her powers and in the context of her dominating period, let's say end of '96 to early 99.
Watching the 16 year old outsmart her more experienced opponents- Novotna, Sanchez, MJ Fernandez, Martinez, Pierce- was amazing. I witnessed live her semi final and Final victories at the 97 Oz open and her accuracy, consistency, placement and variety were great to watch. She completely exposed Pierce's weak movement and one dimensionality.
However her game changed a little when Davenport, Serena, Venus and JenCap started to overpower her. She quite simply did not have the time she had when playing the less powerful girls of her 97 Golden year.

LH2HBH
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM
She's not that good on grass IMO. She is an artist on Hard Courts though, ESPECIALLY Rebound Ace.

Marcus Jordan
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hingis will keep winning Australian Opens for a few more years. She made the quarters in her comeback-slam. And she has a great chance in the US Open if the draw is kind. I can see her winning 10 slams total barring injury.

Hingie
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM
A baseline counterpuncher? Hardly!

I've followed tennis since 96 and i have seen her hit shots no other player could pull off! Early in her career the backhand down the line was a real standout but now everyone hits that shot. You could argue that she does not have that signature shot but every shot is of a high standard and that makes for high quality matches.

As someone else mentioned, get your hands on tapes from 96 to 01 and you'll understand.

^bibi^
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
She just has this sense of the game that no one else have, that's it :p

Mightymirza
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:18 PM
well she can place the ball like none can...Always changing directions martina...As myskina said most of girls like to go cross court and martina would return your DTL shots with DTL returns...

Apoleb
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
And ofcourse no one went yet to her net and doubles skills. :hearts: Simply amazing. She has the best feel around the net, and simply gorgeous to watch.

alex14
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:05 AM
its not just what you can with ur ground strokes that make u an artist...she has game plan a to z...when one isnt working she goes to the next...she knows whats happening on court...her touch is amazing, amazing court sense...she knows what shots to play in the right moments...analyses weaknesses and strengths, constructs points, some of these things which make her such an amazing player to watch.

xtooL
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM
She does play as a baseliner sometimes but then she comes up with great shots that I havent seen anyone on the tour execute like she does.. The majority of todays top players cant volley as well as she does or give her effective lobs n drop shots . I dont watch a lot of the Womens tour but when Its Martina I do watch it coz she has so much more than hitting powerful balls and screaming . She isnt the fastest player but her anticipation is what get s her to the balls.. she sometimes run in the direction of the ball before her oponent even placing it..and something else she could do is exploit her oponents weaknesses and knowing what they are .
Strategies is another aspect of her game .. Roger once said when they used to play doubled she used to have 3 strategies for winning.. most players these days duno what strategies even are..

UncleZeke
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Martina has already won one tier I (Rome) and lost in finals of another Tier I (Tokyo) this year.. Along the way, she has beaten Venus (Rome), Sharapova (Tokyo), Kuznetsova (Doha), Davenport (Indian Wells), Dementieva (Berlin), Vaidasova (Rome) and the likes of : Schiavone, Safina, Kirilenko and Pennetta TWICE each. Pretty staggering numbers for someone who was off the tour for so long..
Only a handful of girls have done better than Martina this year.