PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel-Completely Overated

Brashkoala
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I was dying to get The Tennis Channel for more than three years and i finally got it this spring. Little did I know that it was going to be a huge dissapointment. The channel has infomercials all night long and during the day they show the same shows over and over again. Each program is shown at least ten times a week only to be repeated week after week. Its a complete joke. I thought more classic matches would be shown from old grand slams, classic matches, but nothing. The only good thing is the coverage for tournaments, but those are far and between, and the commentary is awful. I would much rather the channel get cancel and had back tournament rights to espn and fox sports.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
hmm made me re-think about getting it. what do the rest of you think about it?

venusfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I've had TTC since day one and yes it's a bit overrated because all they do is show the same boring programs during the day and at night.. after midnight the informercial starts. HOWEVER, TTC have the best coverage when it comes to LIVE tennis. I've watched the ATP masters series from the 1st round to the final and they start from the 1st match to the last match. It's just awsome when it comes to showing the masters series.

partbrit
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
My cable company has tried to get it and can't. You're making me feel better about that.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I'm glad someone else finally had the courage to bring up this subject.

In my opinion, The Tennis Channel won't find widespread legitimacy until they begin competing for live or "near live" coverage of the Grand Slam tournaments, and the Tier I and II events.

crazyroberto6767
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I still want it :sad:. But this makes me feel a little better about the fact that my cable company doesn't carry it.

Cariaoke
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM
It's overrated when they don't have rights to a tournament.

But during an atp event, the coverage is outstanding. They have coverage of every match and replay them so often that if you didn't catch it at 8 AM you'll catch it at 8 PM. I enjoyed Rome and Monte Carlo for this very reason.

I hated they only got the rights to the women's events from the quarterfinals or semifinals on but these are events that I've NEVER seen on US TV so I really shouldn't complain.

They only show tennis 30% of the time. Frankly, who cares about the USTA jr event final or classic fed cup or davis cup action. Show more relevant tennis.

I *do* like the original series like 'no strings', 'center court', etc. but they repeat the same ones and I never know when something new premieres. :o

They need to work on balancing their schedule.

Brashkoala
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:15 PM
they cover the men's master series from the first round extremely well. however they cover a select few women's tier ones from the quarters on and not the first round. for what its worth just download the videos of matches people post in the video thread instead of being aggrevated that you dont have the tennis channel. it blows.

Mightymirza
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
agreed its really overrated...I had it for fall and then dont have it..they dont show much of womens tennis anyways...And once they have a tourney they keep on repeating same coverage

serenafann
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I also wanted it for a long time and would often ask my cable service about its availibilty,I have it now and I agree its not as good as I thought it would be,mostly good for showing Tennis tournaments you won't see elsewhere,bottom line is I would rather have it than not.They could do so much more with it like actually in real time go to the Slams and show some behind the scenes things,and like a poster said,more Classic matches,and how about up to date scores on in progress matches.

tommyk75
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:53 AM
I love all the programs that show players in off-court situations, like the one that Murphy Jensen hosts and the off-court documentaries like the ones on Dulko and Moya, etc.

But I also don't understand why they don't show more classic matches, like Graf-Sabatini, Navratilova-Evert, etc. Are the rights too expensive or what?

Still, all in all, I love it, and I'm sure it will get better and better with time.

...Oh, one gripe: the guy who does that Centre Court interview show should be replaced ASAP; he clearly knows NOTHING about tennis.

thelittlestelf
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I definitely agree. I'm not a big fan of men's tennis so the outstanding coverage of the masters series events wasn't really a big plus for me, and like other people have said it's more worth it to download matches off of here than get the tennis channel. I was, however, quite pleased that Comcast gave me the channel for free for a while so I could see what I was missing. As it turned out, I wasn't missing that much.

nikita771
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Wow. I had forgotten about the Tennis Channel. I remember bugging the heck out of my cable company about getting it. Of course, it is still not available. I'm sorry to hear that it's not as good as it could be, but am encouraged that it does show matches that I wouldn't otherwise be able to see. Hopefully when it does make it to my part of the universe, it will be included in my regular cable package.

CC
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I like Bag Check. That's the most exciting thing I've come across while watching.

tae04
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Yep Tennis Channel is only really good for mens tennis.. All the Master Series events are completely covered each round. The selected womens tournaments (mainly European events) only show the semis and finals. Usually they have a super Saturday of all day coverage for the womens Nasdaq and Indian Wells. Fed Cup and Davis Cup are usually shown all the matches too.

So those are the pluses of getting it.

Down falls too many replays, dumb shows, not enough classic matches.

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Haha personally I'm grateful whenever anyone gets any tennis on TV for me. Lol. Perspective Perspective Perspective, but don't we always want more.

rhz
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:06 AM
well, they are new in the business. they need informercial to survive. fed cup and davis cup coverage are great, then the atp tennis and the open access, life on wta, bag check, tournament coverage etc.. they are doing good for a starter company but yes they need improvement.

ZAK
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Tennis Channel > no Tennis Channel. I wouldn't complain

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
The tennis channel isn't that overrated to be honest. There are some great shows at times, what other sports station is going to show you a 30 min interview with Mario Ancic? Or show a documentary on Max Mirnyl? I honestly think it's great that they repeat stuff, that way if you miss it...you're sure to catch it. If someone is complaining because TTC repeats things too much, you need to get out more.

Kenny
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I'm sorry, but I love it.

It's very refreshing to turn it on and watch tennis. Maybe to you it's repetitive.. but I don't watch it all the time.. ? :shrug:

It's totally worth it to have when there are tournaments on --- that aren't being shown by ESPN! :)

I love it.

Jakeev
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Frankly I think the Tennis Channel would be a outstanding if could have rights to some of the bigger events.

Something tells me had the Tennis Channel been able to show Wimbledon, we would have seen more matches like the old days when HBO and even TNT had coverage.

I am also a big fan of Katrina Adams. For all you folks tired of all the current crop of commentators that get their digs into players, than she is a refreshing change.

Her commentary may seem a bit boring, but she is insightful, intelligent and is probably one of THE most objective commentators of any tennis coverage I get in the States.

Give the network time. It's still growing.

backhanddtl4
Jul 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I was dying to get The Tennis Channel for more than three years and i finally got it this spring. Little did I know that it was going to be a huge dissapointment. The channel has infomercials all night long and during the day they show the same shows over and over again. Each program is shown at least ten times a week only to be repeated week after week. Its a complete joke. I thought more classic matches would be shown from old grand slams, classic matches, but nothing. The only good thing is the coverage for tournaments, but those are far and between, and the commentary is awful. I would much rather the channel get cancel and had back tournament rights to espn and fox sports.

Well during a slam, other networks have purchased the right to show the matches. Tennis Channel is good for showing the Tier I, II, and III tournaments that ESPN would never show unless it's part of the "US Open Series". You'll probably be grateful you have The Tennis Channel once the indoor european season starts.

moon
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Well during a slam, other networks have purchased the right to show the matches. Tennis Channel is good for showing the Tier I, II, and III tournaments that ESPN would never show unless it's part of the "US Open Series". You'll probably be grateful you have The Tennis Channel once the indoor european season starts.

I agree with this.
Between the AO & Indian Wells, espn shows nothing, but the tennis channel does. After the Miami & IW, espn shows nothing until Roland Garros, but the tennis channel does. Also after USO, espn shows nothing until the Year end championships, and the tennis channel does. These are the times of the year when you really get your money's worth.

I haven't had the tennis channel for a year, and I miss it. I can't wait to get it back.

trivfun
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
More Old Matches Please. I Want To See The Darlene Hard And Maria Bueno Match From 1960, Us Nationals Finals.

SelesFan70
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
It's slightly repititive, but for extra $5 a month well worth the price for me. :) As far as the commentary, Katrina Adams has come a LONG way since they first started to be on the air.

Personally, I think it's totally great they show the Juniors! I want to see what's coming down the road!

Brashkoala
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:08 PM
i rather have the tennis channel than not, but im just saying that it was a huge dissapointment especially after all the promotion behind it.

Infiniti2001
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Frankly I think the Tennis Channel would be a outstanding if could have rights to some of the bigger events.

Something tells me had the Tennis Channel been able to show Wimbledon, we would have seen more matches like the old days when HBO and even TNT had coverage.

I am also a big fan of Katrina Adams. For all you folks tired of all the current crop of commentators that get their digs into players, than she is a refreshing change.

Her commentary may seem a bit boring, but she is insightful, intelligent and is probably one of THE most objective commentators of any tennis coverage I get in the States.

P.S. The channel is young-- I bet in time they will have more coverage of tournaments.

Give the network time. It's still growing.

I agree Jakeev... My only problem is with the tone of Katrina Adams voice :tape: Meanwhile , I'm not at all sorry I paid the extra 4 bucks, because I've learned so much about players we don't normally hear about on the tour :shrug:

vettipooh
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the headz up. I can be a little more patient now, and stop bugging cablevision!

junlee_vee
Jul 9th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I'm glad someone else finally had the courage to bring up this subject.

In my opinion, The Tennis Channel won't find widespread legitimacy until they begin competing for live or "near live" coverage of the Grand Slam tournaments, and the Tier I and II events.

How are they to do that with no contractual rights to do so? Like someone else has said, they're just starting out...they can't possibly show grand slams with stations such as NBC and ESPN around. And I doubt they even have the expenses to pay for coverage of them.

And to everybody whining...be grateful you even have the damn channel! :o I know I am! A lot of people can't get it.

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2006, 05:33 AM
I agree Jakeev... My only problem is with the tone of Katrina Adams voice :tape: Meanwhile , I'm not at all sorry I paid the extra 4 bucks, because I've learned so much about players we don't normally hear about on the tour :shrug:

I know what you mean but she is still makes up for it with her knowledge and insight. So I often see past it.