PDA

View Full Version : I Like It When Players Don't Like Each Other

picklzz
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I think it's great that Justine and Amelie don't get along and dislike each other. Women's tennis has suffered because of a lack of animosity. Nothing would
please me more than to see a Serena/Justine grudge match in the final of the
U.S. Open.

crazyroberto6767
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Players don't have to dislike each other to have a rivalry. But tennis is missing a compelling rivalry at the moment, although if Justine & Momo play each other more often (with close matches and/or H2H), there may be something there.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM
The most compelling rivalry to date of this generation has to be Justine and Kim because they've consistently played one another through the years without any huge gaps.

Evert-Navratilova and McEnroe-Borg are two of the greatest All-Time not just in tennis, but in sports.

Kart
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I hate it when two players publicly dislike each other.

You can have a competitive rivalry without animosity IMHO.

The problem is often the media for stirring though :mad:.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I hate it when two players publicly dislike each other.

You can have a competitive rivalry without animosity IMHO.

The problem is often the media for stirring though :mad:.

Evert and Navratilova were classic back in 1981. They really hated one another.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I think it's great that Justine and Amelie don't get along and dislike each other. Women's tennis has suffered because of a lack of animosity. Nothing would
please me more than to see a Serena/Justine grudge match in the final of the
U.S. Open.

Serena/Justine was not a grudge match.

terjw
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM

You are joking - they never hated each other. You have to wait until Hanna Mandlikova came along. There was not much love between either Nav or Chrissie and Hanna.

Kart
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Can't say I remember that well seeing I was only four years old then :p.

Seriously though, I know it sounds weak but I'd much prefer a tight match played in good spirit than a tight match ending in bitter recrimination.

That might partly be due to the fact that I come to this board and see so much petty fighting though.

supergrunt
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
oh oh.. what about Serena and Maria... dis you see those looks that Serena was giving Maria at the AO?

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM
You are joking - they never hated each other. You have to wait until Hanna Mandlikova came along. There was not much love between either Nav or Chrissie and Hanna.

Read Navratilova's book. Nancy Lieberman was the bitch that made Navratilova hate Evert in the early '80's, and coached Navratilova to hate her. Evert and Navratilova were NOT friends.

Rachel_
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I love a bit of needle!

Sally Struthers
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:17 AM
The bitchier off the court the better for me!

Justine Fan
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:19 AM

and now are best friends! ;)

Mightymirza
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:30 AM
well I would love it if none of them are my fav..I can enjoy freely but when its not the case it makes me veryyy uncomfy..Besides rt now apparantly ame hates juju but ju never said otherwise!!!!..i dont think she hates ame

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Serena/Justine was not a grudge match.

bullshit it wasn't.

Andy.
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Serena and Masha would be th ultimate rivalry, both women will never be best friends and they both want to be in the spotlight and dont like to share the spotlight so its the ultimate battle when they play, stares and grunting and all.

Slumpsova
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:57 AM
since when that Amelie & Justine hate each other? did i missed something?

Mightymirza
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:59 AM
apparantly ame says she doesnt like juju anymore but justine never said that anyways.

StarDuvallGrant
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:41 AM
bullshit it wasn't.

First don't curse with me. Second it wasn't a grudge match. There was nothing for Serena to have a grudge with Justine until the French. It's always been one sided coming from Justine and whatever animosity and insecurity she has.

auntie janie
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I could care less if the players love or hate each other. What affects me a lot more is if I don't like my player's opponent. Then I get so tense during the match and am a lot more anxious for them to hurry up and get the win, preferably by losing no points at all. :D

auntie janie
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:52 AM
apparantly ame says she doesnt like juju anymore but justine never said that anyways.

Amélie did say something like that earlier, but yesterday or today on tv, she said things are fine between them.

In fact, what I think Amélie and many players dislike most is for journalists to try to pry into their private feelings, about each other or whatever, and especially when they try to draw them into saying something antagonistic that the reporters can then sensationalize. :rolleyes:

Marcus1979
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM
what about what Hnigis and Venus used to be like ?

MinnyGophers
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I think Amelie and Justine were seen hanging out at some tournament not long ago... I think they patched things up, but forgive doesn't necessarily means forget.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Serena and Masha would be th ultimate rivalry, both women will never be best friends and they both want to be in the spotlight and dont like to share the spotlight so its the ultimate battle when they play, stares and grunting and all.

well said my friend:worship: :hearts: :kiss:

Marcus1979
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
didn't there used to be claims that Serena and Jennifer hated one another?

améliemomo
Jul 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I think Amelie and Justine were seen hanging out at some tournament not long ago... I think they patched things up, but forgive doesn't necessarily means forget.

wise words.I agree.

Hopefully she will turn it into positive energie for the finale.

Allez Amé! :bounce:

Jakeev
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
The only thing I can say is that it's rare to see compelling, top-level play when best friends play each other. It tends to be even worse when it's siblings.

Recently, Lisa Raymond beat her doubles partner Sam Stosur a few weeks ago 7-6 in the third. The matched seemingly went unnoticed but I am curious to know what that match was like.