PDA

View Full Version : Maria not as upset?

supergrunt
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I know that this is old news that Amelie beat Maria in thier semi, but didn't Maria seem alot more determined to beat Venus last year and alot more upset when she lost? :confused: Was it the fact that she lost to another power player last year, or that it was a Williams sister, or that is was 6-1 in the second, or what? She just seemed more upset last year and the match seemed more intense.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I noticed that aswell, she was nearly in tears last yr after losing to Vee, maybe she knew she was outplayed and couldnt do anything bout it, maybe she thought she was invincable since she was the defending champ, maybe because it was a Williams sister who knows

franny
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I think that last year was a reality check for her. I believe that she believed that she was the shiz on grass and a better grass court player totally put her in her place. I don't think she learned much from last year. I mean, playing someone like Venus with Maria's game, she just had to overpower Venus or be overpowered. It's one or the other. At Zurich and Miami, her power game was greater than Venus' and she constantly put Venus beyond the baseline. At Wimby, Venus' power game totally pushed Maria back and made her look slow. This year, she fought better. She also learned more. Her power game was there, but she learned that you need so much more against players who have it all. From this match, she knows that she's almost there. She knows that she just needs to add that variety to her game. Thus, I think last year she felt more upset because 1) she thought she was the shiz and 2)She just didn't execute her power game as well. Nothing she can do better. This year, she knows she can improve and she took more from this match.

Lolo8
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I thought it was very telling last year when Maria came out with those pants on during the semifinal match against Venus. She didn't wear those pants before. Maria knew playing Venus was a special occasion that day. Honestly I didn't see the same intensity when she played Amelie that I saw when she played Venus . People play out of their minds when a Williams is on the other side of the net. :wavey:

Kart
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I don't think Maria played as well as last year so maybe that might have had something to do with it.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I don't think Maria played as well as last year so maybe that might have had something to do with it.
I think she played better last yr

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM
she definitely played better last year, i think maria just doesn't have a lot of confidence and that led to a lot i think

new-york
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:57 PM
she experienced it already now. maybe.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
she was dethroned last year.

this year, she'd already lost to jamea jackson, so she knew that her game was attackable.

JackWalker
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I know that this is old news that Amelie beat Maria in thier semi, but didn't Maria seem alot more determined to beat Venus last year and alot more upset when she lost? :confused: Was it the fact that she lost to another power player last year, or that it was a Williams sister, or that is was 6-1 in the second, or what? She just seemed more upset last year and the match seemed more intense.

i thought the same thing. the difference is that maria is not the defending champion, she put up more of a fight than last year, and she knows mauremo played much cleaner tennis.