PDA

View Full Version : Alison Lang To Umpire Women's Final Saturday!

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
:banana:

I was hoping it wouldn't be De Jenkin! :rolleyes:

Alison is a very confident, firm umpire.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2006-07-07/200607071152276367906.html

Shenanigans
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I don't think De jenkin can umpire the match cause it is a French player in the final.

bis2806
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Well she would get the honor considering one, she's a good umpire, and second, she's British. It felt like the US open out there during the Momo-Maria match when the Texan woman umpired the match :lol: - also the same umpire at the French Open where posters criticize her bad french, "keeyah-honta-say-ho"

crazillo
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I miss the times of Jane Harvey and Fiona Edwards though...

Alison Lang is OK, but I didn't always like her in the past.

égalité
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:44 PM
At least it's not Mariana Alvez :tape:

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
She's good i like her, she doesnt take any shit either, the best british umpire i think, she doesnt make any big mistakes like the other 2, fiona edwards and jane harvey

partbrit
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
At least it's not Mariana Alvez

Well, the press was quick to crawl over Alvez over that incident, but they went out of their way to bury the backstory, didn't they?

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
She's good i like her, she doesnt take any shit either, the best british umpire i think, she doesnt make any big mistakes like the other 2, fiona edwards and jane harvey

Alison, I'm almost sure, is the same umpire at the US Open 2004 who, after Jennifer Capriati told her she couldn't change the score after calling it out incorrectly, Alison looked down at her and said, "Yes, I can!" :clap2: (This was the match after the whole Serena/Jennifer/Alvez fiasco.)

AceTennisGrrrl
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I like her....nbut when she says "first serve" i want to kill myself

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Alison, I'm almost sure, is the same umpire at the US Open 2003 who, after Jennifer Capriati told her she couldn't change the score after calling it out incorrectly, Alison looked down at her and said, "Yes, I can!" :clap2: (This was the match after the whole Serena/Jennifer/Alvez fiasco.)
Ye i remember last yrs Vee - Sharapova semi Vee walloped a backhand DTL which was clearly in and and liesperson called out but she overruled and Maria gave her a dirty stare and she was like "Maria the ball was clearly inside the line" in a stern tone she doesnt get pushed around by the players thats for sure :)

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Well, the press was quick to crawl over Alvez over that incident, but they went out of their way to bury the backstory, didn't they?
What was the back story

partbrit
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM
What was the back story

That the association had violated its own rules and seriously overworked Alvez without giving her a break. Being human, the fatigue probably got to her a bit.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
That the association had violated its own rules and seriously overworked Alvez without giving her a break. Being human, the fatigue probably got to her a bit.
It was still a horendous call though

partbrit
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Sure it was--no one said it wasn't. That isn't the issue. The issue under discussion is that the press told only half of the story. The association has to take some blame for breaking its own labor rules, taking a 2nd tier umpire and overworking her, then putting her into a very large situation.

Reuchlin
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ye i remember last yrs Vee - Sharapova semi Vee walloped a backhand DTL which was clearly in and and liesperson called out but she overruled and Maria gave her a dirty stare and she was like "Maria the ball was clearly inside the line" in a stern tone she doesnt get pushed around by the players thats for sure :)
:worship: :worship: That's sexy.

Geoffry
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Good.

But after the AO 2004 final and this Wimbledon, it's only De Jenkin I don't like anymore. Clijsters and O.Rochus would surely agree with me. ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Alison :yeah: :)

missed her at Birmingham this yr :shrug:

Jenny.C.Fan
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Don't like alison lang, why couldn't it be Carlos Ramos he rocks :)

drive-volley
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Alison Lang is my fav umpire. Glad she's umpiring the final.

Europe rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I remember during the French Open all the commentators for the BBC reckon that she was the fastest to get to the marks on the court and then back. Good to see a Briton in the final of Wimbledon!

Andrew..
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Loit said she was going to slit her neck in New Haven last year. :)

cellophane
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I remember during the French Open all the commentators for the BBC reckon that she was the fastest to get to the marks on the court and then back. Good to see a Briton in the final of Wimbledon!

:haha:

tenn_ace
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Sure it was--no one said it wasn't. That isn't the issue. The issue under discussion is that the press told only half of the story. The association has to take some blame for breaking its own labor rules, taking a 2nd tier umpire and overworking her, then putting her into a very large situation.

exactly... and they did it because 2 or 3 high level umpires got caught cheating with accredetations at the Olympic Games. So, those umpires missed US Open 2004, but that's about it as for their punishment - Alves paid the price... I'm sure you know their names.

by the way, AAlves wasn't a second tier umpire. she was a silver badge at that time, which is pretty high up in the ranking.

Farina Elia Fan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I got Alisons autograph lmao

She is a very good umpire imo, I was expecting her to get it.

defo top 5 umpires on the womens side

Lemonskin.
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I loves me sum Sandy Dee tho :sad:

Farina Elia Fan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Loit said she was going to slit her neck in New Haven last year. :)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mike_T
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I wanted to see Mungo mania breaking out with Mr. Jerry on the mic.

Brian Stewart
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Did anyone notice that history was made today? De Jenken umped the Federer match, becoming the first woman to ump a men's GS semi or final.

So, that's one barrier slightly broken. (It will only be fully broken if a woman umps a final). But that still won't help the ITF if they're dragged into the Hollins/French lawsuit.

Marcus1979
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I liked Jane Harvey when she used to umpire :D :yeah: