PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 05 or Wimbledon 06?

dagamezbest
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I dont know about you guys but I dont think this Wimbledon can live up to the greatness of Wimbledon 05. It was so much better, maybe becaue Venus was still in the tournament but also other great players were present like Davenport and Mary Pierce. Wimbledon really isnt Wimbledon without WS and Davenport in the later rounds of the tournament. Its going to be strange when Lindsay retires. Overall we saw better matches in early rounds ex. Serena/Haynes first round. Even on the mens side as well. I liked the way the court played better last year as well. I highly doubt that Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo can live up to Wimbledon 05 final last year. I dont think they have it in them.

What do you guys think?

-jenks-
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
even though Kim only got to the R16, 2005 was a hell of a lot better!

hacberto
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
WIMBLEDON 2005 WAS MUCH BETTER.

_________

LOVE YOU VENUS :hearts:
LOVE YOU SERENA :kiss:

Brooklyn90
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM
no doubt 05!

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I dont know about you guys but I dont think this Wimbledon can live up to the greatness of Wimbledon 05. It was so much better, maybe becaue Venus was still in the tournament but also other great players were present like Davenport and Mary Pierce. Wimbledon really isnt Wimbledon without WS and Davenport in the later rounds of the tournament. Its going to be strange when Lindsay retires. Overall we saw better matches in early rounds ex. Serena/Haynes first round. Even on the mens side as well. I liked the way the court played better last year as well. I highly doubt that Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo can live up to Wimbledon 05 final last year. I dont think they have it in them.

What do you guys think?
Completly agree, 05 was one of the best female Wimbledons in history, so many great matches, there was like 2 or 3 great matches every round, and Vee really made Wimbledon magic last yr, this yr there have only been a handful of memorable matches, the semi's compared to last yr were just average, the final is going to be a let down compared to last yr, i think Vee going out early was a big blow for the event, its no contest 05 wins

LDF
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
2005 was fantastic :worship:

The Daviator
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM
2005!

Davenport def. Clijsters :banana:

Davenport def. Kuznetsova :banana:

Davenport def. Mauresmo :banana:

V. Williams def. Davenport :sobbing:

:inlove:
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM
2005 by 100000 miles.

So many awesome matches.
Myskina v Jankovic
Venus v Pierce
Venus v Sharapova
Venus v Davenport
Myskina v Dementieva
Haynes v Serena
Mauresmo v Davenport
:drool:

This year? :yawn: All 3 grand slams have been nothing special. The best one of the 3 so far, I would say, has been the French Open.

junlee_vee
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
What kind of question is this?? '05 in every way possible!!!

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
2005 by 100000 miles.

So many awesome matches.
Myskina v Jankovic
Venus v Pierce
Venus v Sharapova
Venus v Davenport
Myskina v Dementieva
Haynes v Serena
Mauresmo v Davenport
:drool:

This year? :yawn: All 3 grand slams have been nothing special. The best one of the 3 so far, I would say, has been the French Open.
:yeah: all great matches also id add Kuznetsova - Mirza and Dementieva - Klaschka to the list :)

KClijsters
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
2005 ofcourse......there were great matches.... and I haven't seen that this year. So, 2005!! :)

SJW
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM
2006 has been the worst Wimbledon in memory on the women's side.
2005 definitely :yeah:

LH2HBH
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I would have to say 2005! My 3 very, very favorites were in the final 4!!!! You can't beat that!

ĪCharlDaĪ
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:28 PM
2005 by far. I don't think anyone but a Henin fan will say 2006.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
2005 by far. I don't think anyone but a Henin fan will say 2006.
Ha definatley

Bijoux0021
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
:worship: There's no comparison; 2005 was amazing. :worship:

You didn't have to be a diehard tennis fan to appreciate it.

Paneru
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM
05' was infinitely better!

Better matches, better drama,
just better everything by leaps
and bounds!

Scotso
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Vamos Rafa.

Allez Amelie.

watchdogfish
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:51 PM
2005 had more tension throughout the tournament, and it was topped off with a terrific final!

HAIL-VENUS
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:52 PM
No doubt in my mind. '05 was the shit :dance: In particularly because Venus was only a hopeful to her fans. She played 3 consecutively unbelievable matches, including an unforgettable final along with Lindsay Davenport. No Venus, no Serena, no Lindsay.....'06 sucks majorly.

V-MAC
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
yeah last year was great - such high quality tennis and an unforgettable final. I must say though I am really enjoying the mixed doubles tournament this year - I loved watching the Bob/Venus - Sam/Leander and Jie/Max - Elena/Daniel matches yesterday. I wish the Beeb would show more mixed doubles :)

saki
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I've enjoyed Aga and Bremond's runs this year as well as Justine's and Amelie's so this year is better for me. It's just had more of my kind of tennis in it than '05 which was full of suspense and drama with a truly classic final.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM

But even better a few years before then. Remember quarter finals between Monica and Justine? Quarters between Venus and Steffi? Quarters with Monica and Lindsay? Mary Pierce in the quarters. Shock of Martina, the No 1 going out in the first round. I could go on.

Stingray
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
05 the standard of tennis was MUCH higher, and not so many of the matches were blowouts. Some of this years matches have been damn unpretty.....

tennisIlove09
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:21 PM
2005. Not even a question about it.

Europe rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:41 PM
2006, but only because Mel and Sarah reached round 2 :lol:

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM
2005!

Davenport def. Clijsters :banana:

Davenport def. Kuznetsova :banana:

Davenport def. Mauresmo :banana:

V. Williams def. Davenport :sobbing:it's ok. it was still a great match and Linds gave it her all. only a few shots separated them!

let's hope she's back next year for a repeat of the '05 final, same quality from both.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:03 PM
05' was infinitely better!

Better matches, better drama,
just better everything by leaps
and bounds!literally, by leaps. Venus' leaps! :lol:

winone23
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
yeah last year was great - such high quality tennis and an unforgettable final. I must say though I am really enjoying the mixed doubles tournament this year - I loved watching the Bob/Venus - Sam/Leander and Jie/Max - Elena/Daniel matches yesterday. I wish the Beeb would show more mixed doubles :)

me too :)

winone23
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
2005 was the best!!!!!!!!!!!

RJWCapriati
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:01 PM
2005 100%

hingisGOAT
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
2005 was a haven for crappy power matches i guess :shrug:

one-dimensional slugging the whole way, and a choking momo

this year isn't much better however. the all-belgian match was great, but still in two sets, and all of amelie's matches have been horrid

but by simple virtue of the fact that henin & mauresmo are in the final, two all-court players with real talent, makes this wimledon much more interesting than last years

also, not a fan of his, but gotta love that rafa is in the final. i'm hoping he beats federer, just to see how many fedtards [posters and commentators alike] break down into tears

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
2005 was a haven for crappy power matches i guess :shrug:

one-dimensional slugging the whole way, and a choking momo

this year isn't much better however. the all-belgian match was great, but still in two sets, and all of amelie's matches have been horrid

but by simple virtue of the fact that henin & mauresmo are in the final, two all-court players with real talent, makes this wimledon much more interesting than last years

also, not a fan of his, but gotta love that rafa is in the final. i'm hoping he beats federer, just to see how many fedtards [posters and commentators alike] break down into tears
Anyone who thinks 06 final will be half as exciting as last yrs is just deluded, and no actually last yrs final was a much better prospect as neither are classed as chokers, even tho im rooting for Amelie tomorrow she has the potential to blow it, last yrs final was never gonna be like that, and btw last yr wasnt just full of power matches and power matches werent boring, looks at Vee - Sharapova semi last yr and tell me thats boring, cause ur not a womens tennis fan if u say it is

new-york
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Venus. So 2005.

loved the 2005 sf.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Venus. So 2005.

loved the 2005 sf.
Ye the semi was fab, noone could have beaten Vee that day, i was nearly in tears in the end it gave me so much satisfaction, she showed she was the queen of the centre court, what a classic

crazillo
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
2005 without a doubt!!! :)

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Although Na reached the quarters (I only prefer 2006 for that :yeah: beating Sveta and Nicole :rocker2: ), and Lindsay lost that final (it was very sad for me :sad: :bigcry: ), objectively 2005 was better in terms of quality of matches.

Volcana
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Maybe Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne are that much better than the other players on tour, but somehow, the excitement isn't there this year. Credit must be given to Mauresmo for sticking with a strategy of making Sharapova create her own pace, but I have to admit, my family was referring to Mauresmo 'bunting' the ball back. They admitted it was effective, but all seemed to feel that Mauresmo simply let Shaparova self-destruct.

And other than a vague sympathy for Clijsters, none seemed to care much about Clijsters vs Henin-Hardenne. Of course, ESPN didn't show it twelve times either.

Here's hoping the final makes it all worth it.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Anyone who thinks 06 final will be half as exciting as last yrs is just deluded, and no actually last yrs final was a much better prospect as neither are classed as chokers, even tho im rooting for Amelie tomorrow she has the potential to blow it, last yrs final was never gonna be like that, and btw last yr wasnt just full of power matches and power matches werent boring, looks at Vee - Sharapova semi last yr and tell me thats boring, cause ur not a womens tennis fan if u say it is
I agree you canīt talk about something that has not happened yet, just because Venus is not in the final it does not means that the final will be boring. If it ends up being an unforced error fest, horrible match i can concede, but donīt discredit it right off the bat.

Most of the voters show that you are just a delusional fan just depresed because your favorite player is not in the draw anymore.

I dont even dare to vote on this one, becuase this is just another biased thread were Lindsay and Venus fans will vote for last year, while Henin and Mauresmo matches will vote for this year. So i dont see the point :rolleyes:.
I just thank god this event did not turn out to be another Roland Garros 2004 with horrible matches from the Quarters til the final.

Carmen Mairena
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
This year has been awesome so far... even though I'm not objective because I haven't got TV coverage... :retard: :tape:

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
You canīt talk about something that has not happened yet, just because Venus is not in the final it does not means that the final will be boring. If it ends up being an unforced error fest, horrible match i can concede, but donīt discredit it right off the bat.
You are just a delusional fan just depresed because your favorite player is not in the draw anymore.

I dont even dare to vote on this one, becuase this is just another biased thread were Lindsay and Venus fans will vote for last year, while Henin and Mauresmo matches will vote for this year. So i dont see the point :rolleyes:.
I just thank god this event did not turn out to be another Roland Garros 2004 with horrible matches from the Quarters til the final.
I never said it was gonna be i said it has a better chance to happen, your so anti williams, 05 was clearly better than 06, you dnt have to be a fan of anybody to realise that :o

Il Primo!
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
2005, obviously.. I dunno about you but none match excited me so far

hingisGOAT
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
and how was venus/sharapova a good match for anyone except venus fans? it was straight sets, NOT competitive, and sharapova hit like 5 winners and a bajillion errors on grass, yet some venus fans proclaim it to be the greatest match ever :haha:

it was shit. and so was lindsay's VERY predictable choke in the finals

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
and how was venus/sharapova a good match for anyone except venus fans? it was straight sets, NOT competitive, and sharapova hit like 5 winners and a bajillion errors on grass, yet some venus fans proclaim it to be the greatest match ever :haha:

it was shit. and so was lindsay's VERY predictable choke in the finals
OK, well i think somebody is a Williams hater :o :rolleyes:

JackFrost
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
2006 Because of Justine in the final and Jelena J. with her best grand slam performance.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I think this Wimbledon could have a direct affect on the history of tennis in both the men's and women's final, which is why I think this Wimbledon is more compelling.

On the men's side, it will be the first time in the Open Era that the same two men (#1 and #2) will play each other in both the French Open and Wimbledon finals.

On the women's side, Justine will be going for a career slam and winning FO/Wimbledon without losing a set.

Last years women's final was the longest in history, but that was its only historical significance, hence, not as compelling.

I know a good Wimbledon when I see one and this years finals for both the men and women is historic and the best in years.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I never said it was gonna be i said it has a better chance to happen, your so anti williams, 05 was clearly better than 06, you dnt have to be a fan of anybody to realise that :o
I did not meant to quote your post i was agreeing in someway.
As i said this is just a biased opinion from each of the fan base.
Like it or not this year had the top 4 players in the semis and the two best players of this year in the final so, the semis produced a tense three setter and a straight set one including a tiebreak, pretty similar.. it does not have anything to be jealous from last yearīs semifinals.
Now to repeat the kind of match produced from last year, well it remains up to be seen, you never know.
Last year the Masters produced a great battle in the final, which for me was the best match of the year.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I did not meant to quote your post i was agreeing in someway.
As i said this is just a biased opinion from each of the fan base.
Like it or not this year had the top 4 players in the semis and the two best players of this year in the final so, the semis produced a tense three setter and a straight set one including a tiebreak, pretty similar.. it does not have anything to be jealous from last yearīs semifinals.
Now to repeat the kind of match produced from last year, well it remains up to be seen, you never know.
Last year the Masters produced a great battle in the final, which for me was the best match of the year.
OK fair enough i accept your opinion

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Maybe Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne are that much better than the other players on tour, but somehow, the excitement isn't there this year. Credit must be given to Mauresmo for sticking with a strategy of making Sharapova create her own pace, but I have to admit, my family was referring to Mauresmo 'bunting' the ball back. They admitted it was effective, but all seemed to feel that Mauresmo simply let Shaparova self-destruct.

And other than a vague sympathy for Clijsters, none seemed to care much about Clijsters vs Henin-Hardenne. Of course, ESPN didn't show it twelve times either.

Here's hoping the final makes it all worth it.I agree that there is no electricity, whatsoever. Got give it to Venus for creating drama in her matches!

But I have to say, I so prefer watching tennis players hit unreturnable winners to the corners, create angles, smashes, and Vintage Williams swing volleys. Just prefer this style of tennis and it is why I like Wimbledon most of all.
I hope we see some of that, but I am doubtful. There will be tension and nervousness, but none of the beauty of the 35 point rally that Linds and Venus gave us last year.

MH0861
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:40 PM
2005. Several classic matches, before we even got to the final. Can't say the same about this year.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM

it was shit. and so was lindsay's VERY predictable choke in the finalswell, you're pretty alone in that sentiment. all the commentators are still commenting on both matches. Venus-Sharapova because they both played some amazing tennis in the first set. Maria faded away a bit in the second set, but Venus had so demoralized her by breaking her at love right away at the beginning of the set. Also Maria did hit errors, but Venus won the match. She wasn't sitting back waiting for Maria to miss. :rolleyes:

As for Linds-Venus, Linds was picked to win having beaten Venus the last three times they met. And Linds did not choke, Venus broke her to love two times to stay in the match. Winners hit by Venus, not errors hit by Davenport. Get the difference.

Anyway, last year's match: instant ESPN classic.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I think this Wimbledon could have a direct affect on the history of tennis in both the men's and women's final, which is why I think this Wimbledon is more compelling.

On the men's side, it will be the first time in the Open Era that the same two men (#1 and #2) will play each other in both the French Open and Wimbledon finals.

On the women's side, Justine will be going for a career slam and winning FO/Wimbledon without losing a set.

Last years women's final was the longest in history, but that was its only historical significance, hence, not as compelling.

I know a good Wimbledon when I see one and this years finals for both the men and women is historic and the best in years.Well, Justine trying to complete her career slam may be historically significant for her and her fans, but not for tennis. They've tried to create hype around this, but it just hasn't worked. It is a noteworthy accomplishment for sure for Justine, but her opponent does not present a huge obstacle. She would not be beating one of the best grass court players of this generation. She will be beating someone with less grass credentials than she herself has.

When Roger was trying to complete this Roger slam at RG to hold all four GS at once, he was playing against the best clay court player in the world and coincidentally the one person who has owned him and who stood between him and that accomplishment.

Justine vs. Venus would have created a similar tension and excitement. Justine trying to get her career slam going up against the best grass court player of this generation with Venus trying to defend her title and win a record 4th title.

Sorry, there is no there there for this final.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:01 PM
well, you're pretty alone in that sentiment. all the commentators are still commenting on both matches. Venus-Sharapova because they both played some amazing tennis in the first set. Maria faded away a bit in the second set, but Venus had so demoralized her by breaking her at love right away at the beginning of the set. Also Maria did hit errors, but Venus won the match. She wasn't sitting back waiting for Maria to miss. :rolleyes:

As for Linds-Venus, Linds was picked to win having beaten Venus the last three times they met. And Linds did not choke, Venus broke her to love two times to stay in the match. Winners hit by Venus, not errors hit by Davenport. Get the difference.

Anyway, last year's match: instant ESPN classic.
I donīt think he is alone. In a way that match dissapointed me, i realized how far was Sharapova from the top players, she looked undimensional, she looked slow, against a top notch Venus.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Well, Justine trying to complete her career slam may be historically significant for her and her fans, but not for tennis. They've tried to create hype around this, but it just hasn't worked. It is a noteworthy accomplishment for sure for Justine, but her opponent does not present a huge obstacle. She would not be beating one of the best grass court players of this generation. She will be beating someone with less grass credentials than she herself has.

When Roger was trying to complete this Roger slam at RG to hold all four GS at once, he was playing against the best clay court player in the world and coincidentally the one person who has owned him and who stood between him and that accomplishment.

Justine vs. Venus would have created a similar tension and excitement. Justine trying to get her career slam going up against the best grass court player of this generation with Venus trying to defend her title and win a record 4th title.

Sorry, there is no there there for this final.
This is complete BS, yes it is a huge acomplishment even for Henin.
Not for anything you keep reading in the NEWS all around the world the missing icons of the GS to players like Federer, Sampras, Mcenroe, Seles, Hingis among others...

Also the part about Mauresmo NOT being a TOP grass court player, itīs not a fluke that she has reached at least 4 SFīs at Wimbledon since 2002, so she is a least the 4th best player in the world in that surface.
Kim lost in three sets last year to Davenport, who also played three sets to Venus in the final, so Kim is not an cheap oponnent on the surface.

tennisbuddy12
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM
2005 had soo many high quality matches

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Well, Justine trying to complete her career slam may be historically significant for her and her fans, but not for tennis.

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :bs:

TomTennis
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
2005 all the way.

The matches, the excitement, the tension, everything about Wimbledon 2005 was terrific, and it ended with a history making final! Wimbledon 2006 has not lived up to it in any way at all!

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM
the tournament was better in 2005. but with amelie in this final, i have to say if she wins this, this will be more stunning than venus' historic victory. if she loses, i'd say the final in 2005 was better obvi.

Rachel_
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:59 AM

i didnt like one person in the last 4 in 2006 and there has been what 2 good mathces thus far??

vwfan
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:55 AM
2005 all the way.

The matches, the excitement, the tension, everything about Wimbledon 2005 was terrific, and it ended with a history making final! Wimbledon 2006 has not lived up to it in any way at all!exactly! no brainer. :cool:

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:00 AM
the tournament was better in 2005. but with amelie in this final, i have to say if she wins this, this will be more stunning than venus' historic victory. if she loses, i'd say the final in 2005 was better obvi.
Exactly this is what describes the feeling of the majority of Williams Fans. Wimbledon last year was the greatest thing in the world because Venus came out as champion. But this year, since Henin (a player hated by many of them) is in a good position of winning, then the whole event sucks. But if Amelie wins somehow it turns out not as bad after all. :lol:
:yeah:

cheesestix
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Well, Justine trying to complete her career slam may be historically significant for her and her fans, but not for tennis.

Yeah, it happens all of the time. No biggie. :rolleyes:

cheesestix
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Exactly this is what describes the feeling of the majority of Williams Fans. Wimbledon last year was the greatest thing in the world because Venus came out as champion. But this year, since Henin (a player hated by many of them) is in a good position of winning, then the whole event sucks. But if Amelie wins somehow it turns out not as bad after all. :lol:
:yeah:

Your comments are spot on! :cool:

sebbe
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Mary would've been in the final this year if she had the same game as last year....

winone23
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM

I know a good Wimbledon when I see one and this years finals for both the men and women is historic and the best in years.

Last year's final was also historic b/c Venus saved match points and She was the Lowest seed to ever win Wimbledon,

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:12 PM
2005 without a doubt. So many good matches.

So far, 2006 had only one good match and that was Justine/Kim.

Everything about 2005 was better. Even the semifinals. People say that only power tennis fans would've liked the Sharapova/Venus final but Chris Bailey commentated on that match and he was often left speechless at times during it. You could tell how impressed he was by the quality, and this is usually a guy that acts all sarcastic when it comes to the womens game when he presents on Sky Sports.

winone23
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Venus and Maria semi was good b/c of the quality and the tension of the match. Venus carrying the Williams flag, Venus getting revenge for Serena's lost, Venus beating the defending champ who did not lose a service game the entire tourney until Venus broke her several times. No one picked Venus to win, and Venus ended Maria's grass court win streak and to have a Williams in the final for the sixth time. And Richard beating Yuri. And Venus setting up an old school match with Davenport for a rematch of the 2000 final. Priceless classic stuff.

shirley
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Last year's Wimbledon was much, much better. I watched way more matches that I have this year. Then again, that may just be down to the fact that Lindsay isn't playing this year. Last year I watched most of the early round matches as well as the business end of the tournament. I only really started watching this year at the quarter final stage

mike/topgun
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:49 PM
2005 by far
both the womens and the mens

2006 - 2 big names in the finals, and I doubt we'll even see anything surprising

justine&coria
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Well, let's first wait for the end of the tourny.
Anyway, so far Wimbledon 2005 was a lot better, but as a fan of Justine, if Justine wins it today, Wimbledon 2006 will remain the Wimbledon I'll remember the most.

Veeko
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
because henin do it bette:bounce: and sharapova was out again:lol:

Tennisaddict
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
As a major Venus fan 2005 was better for me than this year, but what stands out for me as well is the fact that the matches in 2005 were unpredictable. I didn't know if Venus was going to beat Hantuchova, Pierce, Sharapova and Davenport. Clijsters/Davenport was also unpredictable. Henin/Danilidou was also a good match. Mauresmo/Davenport was also unpredictable. So a lot of matchups in 2005 were very exciting and entertaining and full of tension. This year I knew that Mauresmo was going to beat Sharapova and that Henin would beat Clijsters. I'm also sure that Henin will beat Mauresmo in a couple of hours. So that takes away my excitement for this final as it did for most of the matches at Wimbledon 2006. It's like a Federer/Hewitt match-up and you already know who is going to be the victor before the first ball is hit. So definitely 2005 for me.

I like to not know who is going to win beforehand, when a match is a toss up of what each player will bring to the table that's when I'm really into a tournament. I therefore hope that Serena will come back strong and Davenport as well, and that Venus will find her consistency, because together with Henin they could provide exciting match ups again where the outcome will be unpredictable beforehand.

Mightymirza
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM
As a major Venus fan 2005 was better for me than this year, but what stands out for me as well is the fact that the matches in 2005 were unpredictable. I didn't know if Venus was going to beat Hantuchova, Pierce, Sharapova and Davenport. Clijsters/Davenport was also unpredictable. Henin/Danilidou was also a good match. Mauresmo/Davenport was also unpredictable. So a lot of matchups in 2005 were very exciting and entertaining and full of tension. This year I knew that Mauresmo was going to beat Sharapova and that Henin would beat Clijsters. I'm also sure that Henin will beat Mauresmo in a couple of hours. So that takes away my excitement for this final as it did for most of the matches at Wimbledon 2006. It's like a Federer/Hewitt match-up and you already know who is going to be the victor before the first ball is hit. So definitely 2005 for me.

I like to not know who is going to win beforehand, when a match is a toss up of what each player will bring to the table that's when I'm really into a tournament. I therefore hope that Serena will come back strong and Davenport as well, and that Venus will find her consistency, because together with Henin they could provide exciting match ups again where the outcome will be unpredictable beforehand.
I hope so!!!!!!!

Libertango
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:24 PM
2005 was fabness all the way! The quality was high, and it was so exciting and unpredictable in the closing stages! :hearts:

Nothing this year has come close to the Venus-Maria semi or the final. :worship:

Highlandman
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
2005 :hearts: :hearts:

Venus - Pierce
Venus - Sharapova
Venus - Davenport

etc. - it was great :hearts: :wavey:

dagamezbest
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
2005 :hearts: :hearts:

Venus - Pierce
Venus - Sharapova
Venus - Davenport

etc. - it was great :hearts: :wavey:

Yeah i enjoyed the Venus/Pierce match because thats when Venus came into her grasscourt game and realised she has what it takes to win the title.

lindsayno1
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
2005 by far

2005 by 100000 miles.

So many awesome matches.
Myskina v Jankovic
Venus v Pierce
Venus v Sharapova
Venus v Davenport
Myskina v Dementieva
Haynes v Serena
Mauresmo v Davenport

agree totally. This final was SO boring imo! Nothing like last year. The semis were better. You cant beat that sharapova v venus match and lindsay v amelie!!! SO exciting!!!

This year has been naff really.

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Someone has to eat some words :lol: The match was not decided beforehad :angel:

squig2k
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM
the quality and excitement of the tennis in 05 was a lot higher

The Daviator
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM

There's more to a tournament than the final, on the whole, 2005 was far superior to '06, and Amelie winning isn't really that historic apart from the fact that she's the first Frenchwoman to win in over 80 years, but then again Vee made history last year as the lowest seed to win ;)

2005 :rocker2:

LindsayRulz
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM