PDA

View Full Version : If Monica Officially Announces Her Retirement, Will Anyone Else Find It Ironic...

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
that her retirement will be over-shadowed by Steffi's Graf's husband?

:(

:secret: Of course anyone that retires this year will be overshadowed by Andre'... :tape:

Brooklyn90
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
ur right agassi and navratilova are also retiring so it may overshadow her's, but i hope not

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM

:secret: Of course anyone that retires will be overshadowed by Andre'... :tape:
Yes, awfully so. And just typical of the bad luck Monica seemed to get/attract. Somehow the Gods, fate, nature or whatever you want to call it seemed to conspire against her.

What breaks my heart (as a Mega Monica fan) is that people have already begun to forget about her. Monica has simply evaporated, whereas other ex-players managed to keep their name alive.

myxomatosis
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
The difference between Monica and Agassi, is that Monica already hasn't been playing for awhile and so in a lot of people's minds, is already semi-retired. Her official announcement will be somewhat anti-climactic as a result. It's more emotional for Agassi because people know when his last tournament will be. Nobody knew Monica's last tourney would be her final one.
I hope though that Monica's retirement and career gets the kudos and attention it deserves. :worship:

trivfun
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yes, awfully so. And just typical of the bad luck Monica seemed to get/attract. Somehow the Gods, fate, nature or whatever you want to call it seemed to conspire against her.

What breaks my heart (as a Mega Monica fan) is that people have already begun to forget about her. Monica has simply evaporated, whereas other ex-players managed to keep their name alive.

Monica didn't really have good social skills. She was a family girl. That was true with Steffi but her skills gradually improved after her father went to prison but Monica remained the same. When Monica's father died, it devasted her more than the knife stabbing because Monica kept going to finals after the stabbing but after that she was no where to be seen.

She is trying to be more social but that Greta Garbo is locked in her for good.

Brooklyn90
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM
The difference between Monica and Agassi, is that Monica already hasn't been playing for awhile and so in a lot of people's minds, is already semi-retired. Her official announcement will be somewhat anti-climactic as a result. It's more emotional for Agassi because people know when his last tournament will be. Nobody knew Monica's last tourney would be her final one.
I hope though that Monica's retirement and career gets the kudos and attention it deserves. :worship:
thats really true :worship: :)

auntie janie
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Are you kidding? I will NEVER forget Monica, my first huge fave in tennis. :hearts::kiss::hearts: I will never forget her Dad, Karolj, either: my favorite tennis parent ever. :hearts: A role model for all tennis parents to emulate.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Are you kidding? I will NEVER forget Monica, my first huge fave in tennis. :hearts::kiss::hearts: I will never forget her Dad, Karolj, either: my favorite tennis parent ever. :hearts: A role model for all tennis parents to emulate.
I din't mean tennis fans, I meant the general public. Monica is my fave player ever too, and that is why her lack of public recognition is upsetting to me.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Monica didn't really have good social skills. She was a family girl. That was true with Steffi but her skills gradually improved after her father went to prison but Monica remained the same. When Monica's father died, it devasted her more than the knife stabbing because Monica kept going to finals after the stabbing but after that she was no where to be seen.

She is trying to be more social but that Greta Garbo is locked in her for good.
I think you're right. Garbo suffered from clinical depression, and in the Sunday Times recently Monica also said she still suffers from depression now and then. Hence the tendency to avoid the spotlight. But as a fan of hers since I can remember I just want everyone to know how wonderful she was/is.

Slumpsova
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Monica can't retire. she should back to play for at least a tournament :(

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
it's not a surprise, she hasn't played in years, i considered her retired a long time ago. so i'd expect it to be overshadowed

ezekiel
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:20 PM
she will officially retire in australia

Wojtek
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
it's not a surprise, she hasn't played in years, i considered her retired a long time ago. so i'd expect it to be overshadowed

I agree. Probably most of us consider Seles as retired player

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM
she will officially retire in australia
Probably ezekiel, scene of arguably her greatest triumphs (though some would say RG), her favourite tournament, and she said she would give it to the end of 2006. :sad: Some of us will never be the same again. :sad:

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I agree. Probably most of us consider Seles as retired player
There are some of us who cling to the hope, even if we know it's in vain!

Andrew..
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I doubt Monica ever makes an official announcement.

trivfun
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:56 PM

You should read Nick Bolleteri's book before you make that conclusion.

vogus
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I will never forget her Dad, Karolj, either: my favorite tennis parent ever. :hearts: A role model for all tennis parents to emulate.

this is another case of you being extremely badly informed.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Hi there, do you know where it can be found? It's not on Amazon (UK version anyway).

Thanks.

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Nick isn't exactly a bastion of love for Monica... :tape:

crazillo
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I think every player would be overshadowed by those two, even if Monica was stil playing. Don't forget that Lindsay could be retiring, too...

Kart
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I think they'll give Monica a proper send off - she's been every bit the champion that Andre has been.

Couver
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I don't think she would be overshadowed, certainly not by Martina's retirement. I can see the USO making a bigger deal with Andre, but the fans would never forget Monica and I think they'd make that known and felt. I've been holding out hope though that she'd get to play a few tournaments before making such a decision :( Either way Monica is a legend and probably one of the most respected players to ever play the game, not to mention one of America's greatest champions. No one can overshadow her.

junlee_vee
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM

:secret: Of course anyone that retires this year will be overshadowed by Andre'... :tape:

You're obviously upset by all the appreciation Agassi is getting...how about going over to the men's tennis forum and whining about it. :rolleyes:

Carmen Mairena
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Nice way to look out for controversy... :scratch:

Monika... :awww: :smooch:

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
You're obviously upset by all the appreciation Agassi is getting...how about going over to the men's tennis forum and whining about it. :rolleyes:

I'm far too intelligent to post over there. :ras: I wouldn't dare! :)

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Wasn't this thread about Monica?

JackWalker
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:59 AM
just thought i would post that monica should have gotten surgery on her foot in mid 03. she would have been back on court at the 05 aussie open.

faboozadoo15
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:21 AM
nick is bitter monica never credited him-- for almost messing up her game. she always said she learned everything she knows from her dad, and she made the bolleteri academy sound like a hotel she stayed at.

Anne K.
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:34 AM

I wouldn't worry; Monica is not going to retire at this year's USOpen. She
may turn out to be one of those players who never officialy quit, like
McEnroe. But she hasn't played tour tennis in over three years, and will
be 33 in December. It looks more doubtful by the day that she'll make
a return to pro tennis. :sad:

Veritas
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:02 AM
nick is bitter monica never credited him-- for almost messing up her game. she always said she learned everything she knows from her dad, and she made the bolleteri academy sound like a hotel she stayed at.

You can hardly blame Monica for that, since in her book she made it clear that she didn't spend a long at the academy, and was eventually asked to leave by Nick.

Agassi's always been a showman, and not many can question his PR skills (or his PR team). He's been in the business for years, so he knows how to garner good publicity for him and his sponsors. Announcing that this year's circuit starting at Wimbledon and ending in the U.S. will be his last is a great way to build up momentum that'll lead to a final crescendo, giving him an almost fairytale-like ending. You can almost see the crowds at NYC clapping after every word he says and giving him millions of standing ovations - kinda like the crowd on David Letterman's Show. So far, no-one is doing the same thing as Agassi, so it's natural their retirement plans will be overshadowed.

As for Monica, even though she's a legend, she lacks the big, cliche Hollywood-like publicity that Agassi can build. She's more of a private person, and whatever PR work she does is limited to charities and tennis clinics, which is pretty anti-climatic for a person of her status. I'd love to see her give one final push, to regain the glory that was so cruelly stolen from her. But it'll take superhuman effort and it mightn't work out, but at least she definitely would retire ranked in the top-end of the rankings and with results many would be proud of. It's wishful thinking, but there's still hope no matter how thin it is :)