PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova and Wayne Rooney

WC6320
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Sharapova rules world where beauty and the beast are one

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8303-2256504,00.html

AND so I made a journey from Germany to England, from Gelsenkirchen to Wimbledon, from the World Cup finals to the All England Championships, from the feet of Wayne Rooney to the arms of Maria Sharapova.
It’s all sport, of course, but as I watched Sharapova moving to a confident victory over Elena Dementieva, her fellow Russian, winning 6-1, 6-4, it occurred to me that there are certain differences between Rooney and Sharapova. For example:

Rooney is not 6ft 2in tall and he is not dazzlingly beautiful.He feels no need to perform a blue-movie soundtrack every time he makes contact with the ball.

Sharapova is incapable of doing anything without grace; Rooney moves into action like a wardrobe going downhill while Sharapova plays a game with no physical contact.

Rooney doesn’t fiddle with his hair all the time and he doesn’t get to play in a sponsored nightie. Rooney’s legs are purely functional items; Sharapova’s have an aesthetic dimension. Rooney tends to go easy on the make-up, nor does he play in long, dangly earrings.

Sharapova has no known gambling problem. She speaks articulate, confident English: “Your questions are always so philosophical,” she teased one journalist yesterday. “You should be a professor.” She also has the ability to deliver the killer line in press conferences. “It’s such a pointless question,” she told the Daily Mail.

Rooney is unable to move with a queenly mien. He doesn’t get paid to do swimsuit shoots. Sharapova has never had a gift she has given thrown into a squirrel sanctuary.

Rooney never tucks the ball into his knickers. Sharapova has never been involved in a scandal with a cheap whore who has a weakness for Pot Noodles.

Rooney tends not to be confronted by naked men during a match, as happened to Sharapova yesterday. Sharapova got beyond the quarter-finals.

But are they, in fact, as dissimilar as all those points would seem to indicate? The more I watched Sharapova and her unabashed delight in her sport and her victory, the more I thought that Rooney and Sharapova are siblings under the skin. For example:

Both are winners and both burst on to the world in a blaze of precocious talent at 17. They share a zest for competition, for the stylised combat of sport. Both tend to play better when things are against them. They can raise their game as a matter of pure defiance.

They both seem to hate the ball they play with and at the least excuse will hammer it away as if they never want to see it again. Both find defeat hard to deal with.

Both have a sense of their own hard-won superiority. They are neither of them at all dismayed at being better than most other people. It is something they take in their stride because it seems perfectly natural to them.

Both must battle the intense nature of their temperaments and neither has a real concept of a lost cause. The idea of being beaten — even of a minor setback — doesn’t occur to them.

Both have achieved great things, but neither has achieved a sustained level of success. Each is struggling, on the whole successfully, to convert limitless promise into show-us-yer-medals accomplishment.

They are both marked by the sizzling intensity of their demeanour when down to business and both love a good, fist-pumping triumph.
Both play better when they don’t have their backs to the net and they both love to make their opponents pay for any weakness. Both have a powerful sense of the sporting hierarchy and of their lofty place within it.

They fear no one. They pity no one. They both have a finely tuned sense of the geometry of their sport, which enables them to come up with unexpected and dismaying lines of attack.

Both love to charge a ball — the volley or the running drive-volley, a special joy when it works. They can both get rather wild when desire outruns performance. Above all, when an opponent is down they will, and without mercy, put the boot in.

And so Sharapova put the boot into Dementieva. She seems to be playing herself into form round by round and at times yesterday she looked pretty close to being the real thing.

The serving was more consistent (20 unreturned serves), the ground strokes increasingly venomous and she even threw in the occasional volley, just for the sheer relish of it.

But, more importantly, it was a good, solid workout for her competitive mind. And it is the competitive mind that separates the men from the boys — or, rather, that separates those with the Rooney-Sharapova mindset from the rest. The first-raters from all the others.

Interesting :cool: :cool:

spudrsca
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Bullshit, i wouldn't call grace the way Sharapova play.

forever_rafter
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Rooney is a disgrace to football and Maria is just overrated in more than 1 aspect

Edward.
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Maria is great, and Rooney is a ****.

End.

Sam L
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Maria, full of grace. :)

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM

End.
:lol: :lol: The best thing about this thread is your avatar! It's GREAT!

lindsayno1
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:08 PM
YES! C Ronaldo is an arse!

squig2k
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
haha, he always cries :)

miffedmax
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Shame Rooney didn't stomp on CR instead.

Not that it would have had any effect.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:20 PM
maria:) she is not overrated, btw......

BUBI
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM

End.
And C. Ronaldo is awesome :worship:

furrykitten
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
C Ronaldo is a diving cheat, end of story, it was great to see him crying!

dagamezbest
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
maria:) she is not overrated, btw......

Maria is very over rated in more ways then one.

.ivy.
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Bullshit, i wouldn't call grace the way Sharapova play.

Totally agree. Grace would have a game like Amelie Mauresmo's.

bis2806
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Sharapova has no known gambling problem. She speaks articulate, confident English: “Your questions are always so philosophical,” she teased one journalist yesterday. “You should be a professor.” She also has the ability to deliver the killer line in press conferences. “It’s such a pointless question,” she told the Daily Mail.

Wow so everyone that can talk like this speaks articulately.... rightttt...

myxomatosis
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Wow so everyone that can talk like this speaks articulately.... rightttt...:lol: I think the point is more to claim that Rooney couldn't

The_Pov
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:01 PM
:lol: I think the point is more to claim that Rooney couldn't

If Maria got a Harvard degree bis would still think she's stupid!

bis2806
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
If Maria got a Harvard degree bis would still think she's stupid!

But the fact is she never will :) So there's no use to bother thinking about her!

Drake1980
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
:tape:

The_Pov
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:34 PM
But the fact is she never will :) So there's no use to bother thinking about her!

Once again I will remind you, if you're going to make fun of other people's english make sure yours is perfect! :)

bis2806
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
No one is perfect. And my points stands: If you're consistently posting without correct puncuation and grammar, people are not going to fully comprehend what you're saying :) Hun, it's okay.