PDA

View Full Version : Google Trends... Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams On Top.. JHH Least Popular.

Seyz
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Venus+Williams%2C+Amelie+Mauresmo%2C+Sere na+Williams%2C+Justine+Henin+Hardenne%2C+Maria+Sha rapova%2C+Amelie+Mauresmo%2C+Kim+Clijsters&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all

If you go to Google Trends On The Above Link, which is really interesting, it appears that Sharapova and Serena are the two most searched female tennis players out of the 5 questionable top current players (I would have added Clijsters but could only use 5). And Apparently JHH is the least popular, but that could also be because her name is complicated... who knows.. Anyways, I root for the Williams Sisters so I'm being fair when I say that Sharapova looks to really be the most popular female tennis player right now.

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM
People in India especially love Maria :lol:

JulesVerne
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:49 AM
An Maria is more popular in the US than the Williams sisters. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Google trends measures web searches on the internet, not popularity or recognition. 50 people searching for a topic multiple times a day can make a topic appear more popular than a topic that has 1000 people searching for it just once.

Kunal
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I'm an Indian and I am not her biggest fan...2 cents..

but yea i think its a given that she will be number 1 most searched player right now esp cuz serena is not playing

tennnisfannn
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
that makes it a billion hits:lol:

Nemesis
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
try Justine Henin without Hardenne or even Henin alone and the results are less radical. So your little theory is blown to pieces :rolleyes:

So Disrespectful
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
try Justine Henin without Hardenne or even Henin alone and the results are less radical. So your little theory is blown to pieces :rolleyes:

Maybe she's less popular now that she's taken ;)

Nemesis
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Here's the popularity in China. JHH most popular :eek:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%B5%B7%E5%AE%81%2C+%E5%A4%A7%E5%A8%81% 2C+%E5%B0%8F%E5%A8%81%2C+%E8%8E%8E%E6%8B%89%E6%B3% A2%E5%A8%83%2C+%E5%85%8B%E9%87%8C%E6%96%AF&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all
light blue = JHH 海宁
red = Venus 大威
orange = Serena 小威
green = Maria Sharapova 莎拉波娃
dark blue = Kim Clijsters 克里斯

Armeec
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Maria+Sharapova%2C+Roger+Federer%2C+Rafae l+Nadal&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.google.com/trends?q=Venus+Williams%2C+Amelie+Mauresmo%2C+Sere na+Williams%2C+Justine+Henin+Hardenne%2C+Maria+Sha rapova%2C+Amelie+Mauresmo%2C+Kim+Clijsters&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all

If you go to Google Trends On The Above Link, which is really interesting, it appears that Sharapova and Serena are the two most searched female tennis players out of the 5 questionable top current players (I would have added Clijsters but could only use 5). And Apparently JHH is the least popular, but that could also be because her name is complicated... who knows.. Anyways, I root for the Williams Sisters so I'm being fair when I say that Sharapova looks to really be the most popular female tennis player right now.

She might be popular somewhere else but not in the states. There's an article on the most popular male/female athletes for 2006. Venus is number one, Serena second...I think Maria is 4th. A few others mentioned are Mia Hamm, Michelle Kwan and some I can't remember.

MH0861
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM
LOL, do these girls really care who is most popular? I think they care more about winning titles. ;)

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Well popularity means money (endorsements) in their pockets. So it is important in some ways because even if you are losing there's still endorsements rolling in.

Spunky83
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I have the feeling one of them was my brother, frequently searching for Sharapova wallpapers :lol:

xin_hui
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Here's the popularuty in China. JHH most popular :eek:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%B5%B7%E5%AE%81%2C+%E5%A4%A7%E5%A8%81% 2C+%E5%B0%8F%E5%A8%81%2C+%E8%8E%8E%E6%8B%89%E6%B3% A2%E5%A8%83%2C+%E5%85%8B%E9%87%8C%E6%96%AF&ctab=1&geo=all&date=all
light blue = JHH 海宁
red = Venus 大威
orange = Serena 小威
green = Maria Sharapova 莎拉波娃
dark blue = Kim Clijsters 克里斯

right....and kim's name in chinese is not even 克里斯. it's克里斯特尔斯,or小克

Nemesis
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
right....and kim's name in chinese is not even 克里斯. it's克里斯特尔斯,or小克
well sorry, 克里斯特尔斯 gave very few results. I thought the first half was her family name, since that one gave the most results. But now I see that the name that gave the fewest results is her full surname. Not popular in China, I supose.

BTW: Is 海宁 (haining) the name for something different in China? Because OR she's extremely popular, OR she's lucky to have a name buddy.

xin_hui
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
well sorry, 克里斯特尔斯 gave very few results. I thought the first half was her family name, since that one gave the most results. But now I see that the name that gave the fewest results is her full surname. Not popular in China, I supose.

BTW: Is 海宁 (haining) the name for something different in China? Because OR she's extremely popular, OR she's lucky to have a name buddy.

that is because her surname is translated into 克里斯特尔斯. (some even use 克里斯特而斯)but almost like half of china's articles and whatnot call her 小克. so for eg if you want to search for things for her, u basically have to do two searches using these two different names

i dont know if 海宁 means anything else there, coz i'm not from china. but no way is she more popular than sharapova in china (your results show otherwise) but if i'd be to tell you the most popular female player in china, i'd say dementieva. (i post on the biggest china tennis forum)

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
She might be popular somewhere else but not in the states. There's an article on the most popular male/female athletes for 2006. Venus is number one, Serena second...I think Maria is 4th. A few others mentioned are Mia Hamm, Michelle Kwan and some I can't remember.

Maria was not even that high, she was 7th or 8th. Its definately a myth that has been propagated by media and her teenage fans but unable to provide empirical evidence to support this. Also I haven't seen her get that much support in the US during her matches either.

Also in this poll Serena got the most votes amongst men. I think they are confusing most advertised with most popular. The advertising can be overwhelming but how many people are buying is the bottom line.

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Your right...on this poll Maria is number 8.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060608/nyth149.html?.v=50

supergrunt
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Honestly I have NO idea why people thinK Maria is so popular :confused: . She is the most endorsed female athlete but ifyou go ANYWHERE everyone will know who Serena or Venus are :) .The same cannot be said for Maria. Some people I know know her as the "blonde girl" but thats it. Even my friends that don't know didly about sports know Venus and Serena! :hearts:

Seyz
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:27 PM
:wavey:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
that's hot. love them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM
History doesn't record who is the most and least popular among tennis players. History records results.

Bounty Hunter
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
History doesn't record who is the most and least popular among tennis players. History records results.

I agree!

hingis2002cn
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
i think hingis is the most popular.

Brooklyn90
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:54 AM
wheres anna k??

Milito22
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
wheres anna k??

ana k play tennis?

Brooklyn90