PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else finding it hard to root for someone in this Wimbledon final?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I mean you've got Amelie. She's a fan favorite whereever she goes. She's come so close to winning this tournament on a bunch of occasions by getting into the final four, but never quite pulled through. Now she's got a real shot to win Wimbledon and silence the naysayers by winning a "legitimate" Grand Slam (ie winning her matches fully through instead by retirement).

Then you've got Justine. She's been changing her game for the last two years in that she's attacking the net more solely because she wants to Wimbledon. It's the one slam that's eluded her and she's a single win away from winning all four majors. She's also not going to get a better opportunity to win Wimbledon in her life with the Williams' not at full steam/Sharapova getting better in the years to come/Davenport injured, etc etc.

Both of them could benefit on so many different levels from this win and I'm finding it hard to actually cheer someone through. I'm just hoping for a good quality final.

égalité
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:32 AM
No, I'm finding it VERY easy to root for Amelie!

LoveFifteen
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM
*raises hand*

fifiricci
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Ditto! I certainly won't be rooting for the other side :lol:

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Me too! I can't wait and hope Amelie lifts the Rosewater Dish!

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM
not at all, I'll root for anyone playing against Justin

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Yeah, i dont care for either of them and its a pretty boring and nothing final for me, i dont care who wins either way, although it would be nice to see Amelie win a slam the right way she deserves that.

middy
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Couldnt have asked for a better final, thank GOd no mindless ball bashers

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:00 AM
I want Amelie to win to silence the critics who question the validity of the Aussie (ironcially, I'm one of them). I have a lot of respect for Justine as a player, but I just find it really hard to root for her unless I'm REDICULOUSLY ambivilient (2003, 2005, 2006 French Open Finals).

I think this will be the first time that I can remember where the Mixed Doubles Finals (assuming VeeBob win tomorrow, which they should) will get better ratings than the Womens' Singles Final. Oh well....it's tough to root for anyone, because Venus should be playing Saturday...well she will be, but in the wrong final....

Go Amelie I guess...at least we both speak French, are have the same Birthday!

ALLEZ!

Melusine
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
I find it hard to choose,
I want Justine to win, she would deserve the career grand slam and I really don't hink she's as evil as some people try to paint her

but on the other hand, Amelie also deserves the feeling of winning a grand slam by really finishing a final

guess I'll cheer for Justine anyway :yeah:

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Although I can't find it in my cold, dead heart to forgive Justine for the Oz Open, this is one final that I'm not rooting AGAINST anyone. :o It's gonna be totally hot for either one of them when they win it! Just think...one of them is gonna win WIMBLEDON! :banana:

:secret: Although I'm thinking Larry Scott is rooting for Amelie big time. Otherwise, Justine will 2/3 in Major Finals this year and still not #1. :secret:

forever_rafter
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Absolutely no, I'm after Amelie with all my heart. If Henin played Sharapova in te final I wouldn't watch it at all.

mn73
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I shall be cheering Amelie until the last point, and if Justine wins the last point I will be pleased for her that she has achieved the career Slam. She is certainly the most deserving player since Serena Williams to get all four Slams.

This is why I long for Jennifer to return. If she was in the final against anyone I'd cheer for her until the last point and if she lost be bitter and disappointed for weeks after, maybe longer! That's being a true fan!!! :lol:

rottweily
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
No :D

fnuf7
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Same here! :D

Meeek
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Very very veeeerrry easy: AMELIEEE!!! :rocker:

Bart
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
No. Allez Justine!! :bounce:

pav
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
No bugger can really want momo to win
if she takes the title it will be a sin
I'll be rooting for Juju to show us her best play
smiling as she yelps out "Allez"
she can hold up her hand
or show momo her ass
just as long as she wins on the green grass

The very best way to crush the great momo menace
is for juju to beat her by playing better tennis
I don't think the momo should be shown on TV
out there for the poor public to see
I've applied to have her image pixelated
but shit,what a stir that idea created

Now I haven't been the greatest Juju fan in the past
but I hope she gives this match a great blast
tugs the peak of her cap,and serves really well
and gives the dreaded momo a day of pure hell

If it ends with Juju grinning,and Momo real sad
that will be the best day that I could have had
with the only time Juju has to raise up her hand
is to salute trendy shirted Pierre clapping up in the stand

for momo fans you will like this pic I took this morning after three days of pissing rain and large parts of our property are heading downhill,could it be punishment for momorubbishing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/slip.jpg

Martian Jeza
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I won't root for JHH, this is already clear on my mind...

selestribe
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM

:yeah:
ALLER MOMO !

Kunal
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
yea i am....not any interest tbh....would like to see momo win cuz i want her to rid herself of the chokers tag....i doubt thats gonna happen

waratahsrock
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I would like to see Mauresmo win it. I doubt i'll be watching the match though.

Grohl
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
nope, mauresmo all the way!

TomTennis
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I knew once Venus lost, then it was Justine's for the taking, especially with big grass court hitters like Davenport and Serena already out. When Sharapova lost it was just icing on the cake really.

Its Justines for the taking. Amelie will be all over the place mental wise.

Im not a fan of either, but I think I would prefer Amelie to win it.

dododo
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Boooooring

BEEILOVEYA
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
If I want someone from this MISERABLE final to win, that would be Amelie. DEFINITELY not Justine. But I don't like neither of these two players. :eek:

fnc
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
No, it's very easy to pick who to cheer for when Justine is playing in a match. Go Mauresmo!

VivalaSeles
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I love both :) So I'm finding it difficult to choose/know who to root for.

Jogi
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I'm not a fan of JHH or Amelie, but I'd be happy for both, just want a nice final :)

chloejoey
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
not rooting for anyone too since maria's out, if kim's in the final, i might root for her .

yicheng23
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
i'm cheering for ju 100%

tennislover
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM
i'm going to root for Amelie
but if juju wins that won't scandalize me.......

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
well, wimbledon is my favorite tournament.

and i got the best final last year, with my two favs, women who are champions in every sense of the word, playing wonderful tennis, bringing out the best tennis in each other with beautiful, long rallies, angles, great serving, eye-popping winners, suspense, and determination. . . :worship:

this year, two players i don't much respect or like playing probably nervous tennis with most points ending in errors than winners.

well, you see where i'm going here. . .

perhaps if momo wins though, she will at least match Venus' jumping and celebration.

WF4EVER
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
No

Jogi
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

and i got the best final last year, with my two favs, women who are champions in every sense of the word, playing wonderful tennis, bringing out the best tennis in each other with beautiful, long rallies, angles, great serving, eye-popping winners, suspense, and determination. . . :worship:

this year, two players i don't much respect or like playing probably nervous tennis with most points ending in errors than winners.

perhaps if momo wins though, she will at least match Venus' jumping and celebration.
you Venus-fans are definitly bad losers :)
was this serious or just a joke???
VW made 54 UEs in the 3rd round against Jankovic, and 50 winners :tape:
JHH and Mauresmo made 32 in their semifinals yesterday TOGETHER and each many more winners than UEs
lol@you

Mercury Rising
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM
JHH and Mauresmo made 32 in their semifinals yesterday TOGETHER and each many more winners than UEs
lol@you
Indeed it's amazing what they sometimes come up with...

Lachrymarum
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
As much as I hate to admit it - I won't be watching Saturday's final. I was so disappointed by the quarterfinals (Myskina, Li Na and Dementieva losing) that I lost interest in Wimbledon. :sad:

auntie janie
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:51 PM
A thrilling final! Two gorgeous one-handed backhands, so much variety, surprising angles, spins, changes of pace -- these players both produce beautiful, stylish tennis. Both are also subject to nervous spells, which adds more intrigue. All this and NO SHRIEKING! Who could ask for more? :worship: I can't wait for this match.

I want Justine to win because she's my favorite player :hearts:, but I love Amélie, too, and if she pulls this out I'll be thrilled for her. :kiss: She's a very special player on the grass, and that was a HUGE breakthrough for her yesterday, finding her way back after her usual Wimby semifinal 2nd-set meltdown. Impressive!

If I found it a "boring" matchup like some here are saying, I simply WOULDN'T WATCH IT. So easy. Easier than whining about it on a message board, even. ;)

partbrit
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Hell no!

I've waited years to see Amelie in this final and will cheer for her from the moment she enters the court.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
lol@youcouldn't agree with you more. that was a bad match, but I don't think that I was comparing that match to current SF. i was comparing last year's SF to these. :rolleyes:

Sund7101
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
This won't be hard, I always root for whoever is playing against Justine.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Me too, i think Henin will have more chances to win this event, and i think this one of the last chances for Amelie to do it.
It will be the first final between two classic players (one handed backhand) in a long time, i hope it produces great tennis.

cometz9
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm rooting more for Momo but wouldn't mind if Justine wins, the person i didn't want to win is out of the tournament anyway.

spencercarlos
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

You forgot to mention choking by Lindsay, 2005 Wimbledon and Australian Open with the final matches controlled for a set and a half, and let the nerves/choke get her, that is mainly why Lindsay won´t win a grand slam anymore. She is just not convinced that she can win a grand slam again.

alfonsojose
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Allez Momo :D

Diesel
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I always root for the other player not named Justine in cases like this, so no, it's easy finding someone to root for.

lukehingis
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
absolutely... don't think i'm even gonna watch the finals.... just let it be over and done with.. bring on the US Open series!!!!

hotandspicey
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Amelie all the way! :woohoo:

HAIL-VENUS
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Actually, I'm not. I like Amelie Mauresmo. Justine's alright, but I don't particularly care for such blatantly dishonest people (the FO hand thing against Serena). I'd much rather have Amelie win the tournament than Justine. So, no...no problems for me :shrug:

terjw
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm not a fan of either player. In situations like this when I don't otherwise have a preference it's not really difficult. I'm rooting for Justine simply because I want the player who beat my fav Kim to go on to win the title. At the AO it was the other way round and I was rooting for Amelie.

watrat
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Women'a GS finals are pretty boring this days (especially this year). So, I don't watch them. I guess I won't change the routine also this time.
Otherwise I would be probably more pleased if Amelie lifts the trophy.

dav abu
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I can't wait for tomorrows final-and I will be screaming my lungs out for Amelie!! Though I imagine I will be doing plenty appreciative clapping for Justine.

marmite1
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
No. Amelie :yeah:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
hell no!!!!!!! GO AMELIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

star
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I want them both to win for different reasons...I guess I'll be rooting for Amelie though

moon
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
No problems for me.
MAURESMO ALL THE WAY!
(I just hope she can hold her nerves)

No Name Face
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
amelie! :rocker2:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Nope!!!

Go Amelie & Nadal!!! :bounce:

Rachel_
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM
These 2 players are not my faves but......

As if i would ever cheer on JHH after what she did to Rena...errr no and her behaviour towards Amelie at Aus was disgraceful so in answer to the question.....its really easy to choose who to root for!!

sunset
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I find it hard to choose,
I want Justine to win, she would deserve the career grand slam and I really don't hink she's as evil as some people try to paint her

but on the other hand, Amelie also deserves the feeling of winning a grand slam by really finishing a final

guess I'll cheer for Justine anyway :yeah:

Me too, I have to go with Justine. :bounce:

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Not finding it hard at all!!go Amelie!!!

Bitter Blue Bong
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM

Basically.

vesanto
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I couldn´t care less. But I think that Justine would be very pissed if she loses the oportunity of winning all Slams. That would be nice to see! :devil:
Anyway, I hope it is a good match!

hdfb
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM

Amen brudda.

LH2HBH
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:42 PM
NOT AT ALL!!!! I can't wait to see Amelie WIN Wimbledon and WIN THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN all in one moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO AMELIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.centralchronicle.com/20050516/16a9.jpg

backhanddtl4
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Well I don't find Mauresmo deserving, and I don't want Justine to match Serena's accomplishments cause I don't think she's good enough yet. Yes I think it's hard to root for either of them, but I'm pulling for Mauresmo because the fact that she didn't choke in the 3rd set against Sharapova is....unheard of. (For Mauresmo at least)

pav
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
T be honest,even on a wet horrible day like we are having over here I wouldn't want to root either of them!