PDA

View Full Version : Tracey Austin On The BBC

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Did anyone else notice how TA and her male sidekick were so obviously routing for Maria during their commentary of the match with Amelie? They hardly gave Amelie much credit and delighted when she seemed to be wobbling in the 2nd set, saying how painful it was too watch, yet raved when Maria looked as if she was trying to regain control. I personally felt they were willing Amelie to collapse. When Amelie won the disappointment in their voices was pretty obvious.

Afterwards TA was interviewed by Sue Barker, and her response to Amelie's win was muted at best, and she tipped Justine for the title. She just couldn't bring herself to say what a great and significant win this was for Amelie, or look pleased.

The Beeb did quite a good piece on the Williams sisters, interviewing several 'experts', TA, Shriver and Collins etc on the likelihood of a Serena return. Most were pessimistic, though Shriver thought that Serena has the weapons to get back to the No 1 spot. TA thinks that Serena is unlikely to be able to compete at the top again, saying the sport has become more international and the younger girls are fitter and stronger and hungrier, and that Serena has been lured by riches and Hollywood. While it's possibly true, TA is well and truly a Maria fan. She came up with the usual: 'Maria is still only 19'. Forgetting that by 19 Monica had won 8 Grand Slams. I went right off the woman!

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Obviously you've never heard Tracy Austin commentate a Maria match before ;) She commentated the Australian Open and i found her to be quite biased towards Maria.

switz
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
she idolises Maria. Just look at her hair :o she wants to be a teenager again when she was good and people cared about her.

fnuf7
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah I've noticed since 2004 that Tracy worships Maria, she always mentions that Maria uses/used the same coach/trainer that she used and that she saw Maria when Maria was like 9 and knew she'd be big. It's like TA's trying to claim Maria's success was down to TA finding and nurturing her, makes me laugh a bit :lol:

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM
John McEnroe on NBC was practically panting at the thought of Amelie choking (when he wasn't discussing Roger's blazer). :rolleyes:

I do love Tracy, however! Too bad Maria doesn't have her consistency off the ground.

vertigo
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM
After luxourious praise of Maria (and their mutual connections) Tracy then moves on to her second favourite subject: Lindsay A. Davenport. *Swoon*

mila_mail
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM
okay[B]
so what!

Fabunny
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I raised this issue yesterday, see: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=247871 because I thought Tracey's commentating was despicable, yet her article would suggest otherwise.

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Tracy making excuses for Maria because she thinks she is pretty. She probably cried later after Maria lost.

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
It's good that others have now experienced this for themselves and the US viewers who complain about this have valid reasons. Be thankful that Maria wasn't playing Venus or Serena then you would discover the rock bottom of US tennis commentators.

All that you have stated is what has been regurgitated repeatedly by all US tennis commentators and that is why I don't watch Maria's matches. I find the ass kissing too nauseating.

V-MAC
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
yeah in that feature the Beeb did in the Williams, how many times did Tracy say that Serena was "overweight"?!? I mean we got it the first time, no need to repeat it like 6 times :rolleyes:

The Daviator
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Maybe I was watching a different match :confused: I thought she was very fair to both players and gave Amelie a lot of credit, anyway, I don't care who she supports, I think she's a great commentator ;)

Fedcup
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
They also said on bbc last week that if Maria can get her self going (after playing more matches) she'll dominate on gravel too. :eek:

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:51 PM
It's good that others have now experienced this for themselves and the US viewers who complain about this have valid reasons. Be thankful that Maria wasn't playing Venus or Serena then you would discover the rock bottom of US tennis commentators.

All that you have stated is what has been regurgitated repeatedly by all US tennis commentators and that is why I don't watch Maria's matches. I find the ass kissing too nauseating.

I don't watch her matches either unless I know that she lost.. that's bad but I can't stand the commentators drooling. I like to hear their reaction when their fav isn't winning.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Im a bit inbetween on my opinion of her, sometimes she is a great commentator then other times she biased, like in the 04 final she was clearly for Sharapova she was nearly cheering for every point maria won in the end but in the semi's last yr she was unbiased when Vee was giving Sharapova a royal spanking, but to be honest most of the BBC commentators are obsessed by Sharapova, esp Sam Smith, she has her head so far up Sharapova's ass any time she commentates on one of her matches, she nearly has an orgasm when Maria hits a winner, plus she doesnt like Vee as when Chris Bailey was saying it was great that Vee was back and did well enough at RG she stayed very silent and she barely ever mentions her either :rolleyes:

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
They also said on bbc last week that if Maria can get her self going (after playing more matches) she'll dominate on gravel too. :eek:

I guess the domination they are referring to is the media hype. Yes I believe she will continue to dominate in that arena as tennis moves to the hard court season. :rolleyes:

Paneru
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM

True!

All the more reason to love
Richard's biting comments during
the 04' USO when Austin was running
her damn mouth! :tape:

It was funny to see how her comments then
evaporated when both sisters won a Slam the
following year. :cool:

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
True!

What were they saying at the USO 04 :)

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
but to be honest most of the BBC commentators are obsessed by Sharapova, esp Sam Smith, she has her head so far up Sharapova's ass any time she commentates on one of her matches, she nearly has an orgasm when Maria hits a winner, plus she doesnt like Vee as when Chris Bailey was saying it was great that Vee was back and did well enough at RG she stayed very silent and she barely ever mentions her either :rolleyes:

This seem to be the running theme for women's tennis lately. Luckily for us coronations are contested on the tennis courts and not in the court of opinions.

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
True!

Yea, I noticed she doesn't pick on them as much since. She's one who hopes Vee and Serena don't return to form because they will only add to the list of people who can defeat you know who. :lol:

BTW as a side note, can you believe that I've heard one of the males ask if Maria has any weakness in her game. This is just demonstrates how much they know about tennis or if they are actually watching her tennis.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
yeah in that feature the Beeb did in the Williams, how many times did Tracy say that Serena was "overweight"?!? I mean we got it the first time, no need to repeat it like 6 times :rolleyes:
Yes, she did. I was disgusted by that. She enjoyed saying it too. Over and over. She doesn't want Serena to return, but she gave a grudging nod to Venus. Maybe she has a thing about weight and food, or more bluntly she's a bitter old anorexic - forgive me if I spelt it wrong! Even Sue Barker looked a bit frosty and changed the subject.

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM

LOL, I don't think she meant something negative for Serena. She just likes to repeat everything she says when she's commentating for like a million time, which makes her totally annoying.

watchdogfish
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Did anyone else notice how TA and her male sidekick were so obviously routing for Maria during their commentary of the match with Amelie? They hardly gave Amelie much credit and delighted when she seemed to be wobbling in the 2nd set, saying how painful it was too watch, yet raved when Maria looked as if she was trying to regain control. I personally felt they were willing Amelie to collapse. When Amelie won the disappointment in their voices was pretty obvious.

Afterwards TA was interviewed by Sue Barker, and her response to Amelie's win was muted at best, and she tipped Justine for the title. She just couldn't bring herself to say what a great and significant win this was for Amelie, or look pleased.

The Beeb did quite a good piece on the Williams sisters, interviewing several 'experts', TA, Shriver and Collins etc on the likelihood of a Serena return. Most were pessimistic, though Shriver thought that Serena has the weapons to get back to the No 1 spot. TA thinks that Serena is unlikely to be able to compete at the top again, saying the sport has become more international and the younger girls are fitter and stronger and hungrier, and that Serena has been lured by riches and Hollywood. While it's possibly true, TA is well and truly a Maria fan. She came up with the usual: 'Maria is still only 19'. Forgetting that by 19 Monica had won 8 Grand Slams. I went right off the woman!

I thought the same thing. Tracey Austin definitely didn't not give enough credit to Amélie for winning. I thought it was amazing how well she came back in the 3rd set after the momentum had clearly swung in Maria's favour at the end of the 2nd, but they didn't really give enough praise for Amélie IMO.

She was annoying me so much throughout the match. If I had a pound for every time she talked about Maria's great mental stength (which is true, btw, it's just annoying being reminded about it every 5 minutes!) I'd by very rich!

It's not just Tracey Austin that annoys me, it's biased commentators in general and the BBC seem to have employed too many of them! I love to watch Roger Federer, but every time one of his matches comes on TV I have to mute the sound because the commentators are so biased! I think the only decent ones the BBC got this Wimbledon are John Barrett (pls don't retire!) and Jimmy Connors (pls come back next year!)

Sorry about that rant, thanks for starting this thread so I can get it out! :)

G_Slammed
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Austin is a Sistahhatah from wayyyyy back. I'll never forget how Venus checked her old, wrinkly bitter pasty ass after winning a tough match vs. M. Shaughnessy in the 1st round of the US OPEN one year. Closed her lippless ass mouth right up. Don't ya just love Venus?

AllezCumonJiayou
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
sometimes I can't believe how outrageously biased these commentators are, aren't they supposed to be trained on how to commentate objectively?

Veenut
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
sometimes I can't believe how outrageously biased these commentators are, aren't they supposed to be trained on how to commentate objectively?

Objectivety for them is to openly kiss the ass of those they like and make villains out of those who they disapprove of. Only in tennis!! It's such a disgrace for the sport when you can't view a match without being annoyed constantly.

The bad news is its our turn to now suffer as she will be commentating for the US open on USA.

dav abu
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I actually really like Tracey Austin and almost always enjoy her commentary.