PDA

View Full Version : Article: Gold Coast tournament to move to Brisbane in 2009!

Alicia Rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:50 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/images/email_arrow.gif (javascript:emailWindow())
http://foxsports.news.com.au/images/print_button.gif (http://foxsports.news.com.au/print/0,8668,19713446-23216,00.html)
http://foxsports.news.com.au/images/subscribe_button.gif (http://news.reply.com.au/ni/foxsports.asp)

Email this report (javascript:emailWindow())
Print this report</SPAN> (http://foxsports.news.com.au/print/0,8668,19713446-23216,00.html)
Subscribe to Sportsmail (http://news.reply.com.au/ni/foxsports.asp)
Hard courts combine for Brisbane
July 7, 2006

THE Australian men's and women's hard court tennis championships will both be played in Brisbane from 2009.

The men's event will move from Adelaide and the women's from the Gold Coast to a new $77 million tennis centre being built at Tennyson in Brisbane's south-west. The combined tournament will be a lead-in event to the annual Australian Open in Melbourne in January.

Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood said the change of venues for both tournaments enabled the events to be combined.

"The worldwide trend in tennis is moving towards more and more combined tournaments where the public get to see the top men and women playing in the one venue," he said.

"Today's announcement ensures the future growth of both tournaments in this changing world environment for tennis and will strengthen the attraction to top players of preparing here in Australia prior to the Australian Open."

The decision to switch the men's event from Adelaide is a devastating blow to the South Australian government and Tennis South Australia.

Their tournament at Memorial Drive in Adelaide has been won by players who later went on to claim grand slam titles, including hometown hero Lleyton Hewitt, who won his first ATP Tour title there as a 16-year-old.

Wood said Tennis Australia will be working together with Tennis SA and the SA government to investigate alternative ways to continue to provide opportunities for top-level tennis to be seen by the South Australian tennis public.
"The events in Adelaide and the Gold Coast have increased in popularity in recent years thanks to the efforts of a number of talented and dedicated individuals, including staff at the local associations, the respective tournament directors, sponsors, government agencies and volunteers.

"Their efforts to help grow the sport, and to stage memorable tournaments for the public year on year, is to be commended."

Tennis SA president Bill Cossey said the organisation was disappointed to lose the men's event.

"At the same time, we understand the changes in the world calendar with the increasing threats to our domestic circuit from overseas tournaments," Cossey said.

"Unfortunately, Adelaide is currently in no position to sustain a combined event at Memorial Drive."

He said Tennis SA would work with the state government and Tennis Australia to investigate options for staging any events beyond 2009.

Prizeidiot
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
They've increased the prize money considerably as well haven't they?

Does it move up in Tier Status then?

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM
They've increased the prize money considerably as well haven't they?

Does it move up in Tier Status then?
Thats what i was wondering ;)

I wonder what the new tennis centre in Brisbane will be like :)

Alicia Rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Gold Coast has a nice complex but no way holds enough people, practically every day this year was sold out, mostly because of the fact Martina was playing ;)

ctan88
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM
What a great decision! Looking foward to it :)

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Gold Coast has a nice complex but no way holds enough people, practically every day this year was sold out, mostly because of the fact Martina was playing ;)
I imagine a lot of people would have also bought tickets expecting Maria to be there ;)

Alicia Rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I imagine a lot of people would have also bought tickets expecting Maria to be there ;)

Yeah that to, I'm pretty sure she said she's coming next year, but we'll see :o

gsm
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:04 AM
IMO its a shame to lose both adelaide and gold coast (i have gone to the adelaide event the last few years) but on the other hand it will be cool having combined wta/atp events back to back in brisbane and sydney.
I wonder what the new tennis centre in Brisbane will be like :)
http://www.tennisattennyson.com.au/prop_dev.htm:
The State Tennis Centre will include:
- A 7000 seat international-standard centre court with corporate facilities.
- Twenty-two International Tennis Federation standard match and training courts including two grass courts, four clay courts and sixteen hard courts.
Administrative, commercial and support facilities including change rooms, pro shop, café, media facilities and function rooms.
- Administrative offices for Tennis Queensland.
- Tennis legend John Newcombe has participated in the design process to ensure the best outcome for players, coaches and spectators.

centre court pic: http://www.srq.qld.gov.au/zone_files/Photos_-_Tennyson/tennyson-stadium-view.jpg

Alicia Rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:21 AM
:eek: I am impressed :worship:

~|Naomi|~
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Yep, they sold a huge amount pre-event because of Maria, then when she pulled out they hadn't quite been sold out but when martina signed up it just tipped them over sold out. So both of the girls had an effect.

This has been in the pipe line for years. I'm sad to see the GC lose the event, we supported it but the venue isn't up to it from a spectator point of view, from a player's point of view - they really like it as the court is like a minute walk from the hotel and the practice courts another couple of minutes, it is a relaxing way for them to start the year. But none the less the move is best for the tournament & needless to say the development of the new tennis centre is great for QLD and Aussie tennis.

Sunny_Boy
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Hopefully they televise the event

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM
IMO its a shame to lose both adelaide and gold coast (i have gone to the adelaide event the last few years) but on the other hand it will be cool having combined wta/atp events back to back in brisbane and sydney.

http://www.tennisattennyson.com.au/prop_dev.htm:

centre court pic: http://www.srq.qld.gov.au/zone_files/Photos_-_Tennyson/tennyson-stadium-view.jpg

centre court looks good :cool:

Martian Stacey
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Hopefully they televise the event
Channel 7 already covers the semis and finals of these events, so i would assume they will at least continue to do that for the combined tournament.

And maybe they'll cover it more if the tier level is increased :)

Goai
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
That's near my home! The last event in Brisbane was at Milton I think. This means I won't have to travel all the way to the Gold Coast every year. :)

Sharapova's_Boy
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:53 AM
:eek:

switz
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM
good for australian tennis. they should be able to get much better sponsorship dollars with a combined event. bad for the Hopman Cup though

~|Naomi|~
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM
That's near my home! The last event in Brisbane was at Milton I think. This means I won't have to travel all the way to the Gold Coast every year. :)

Now I will have to travel all the way to Brisbane;) Not that it is that far away:lol:

Alicia Rocks
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:22 AM
^^ Same with me :lol:

krystlel
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I won't have to travel so far away so I will probably be able to go for more days during the event.

That Centre Court stadium looks huge in comparison to Gold Coast. Does anyone think it's too large? I suppose this depends on whether the two tournaments go up in status and manage to draw in more top players...

musicilike
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:50 AM
but no more Canberra classic

Epigone
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Nice stadium :yeah:

No more having to travel to the Gold Coast :banana:

Mattographer
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
The new stadium is similar to Sydney (the current one) except the difference is the place of the roof :p

Mattographer
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I don't know if the new stadium is such good idea because Sydney NEVER has been sold out! :lol: There are too many unavailable seats :p

SpikeyAidanm
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:54 AM
they had a tourney in Brisbane back in the 80's eh? hmmm I guess it was a good move, alto GC was getting a pretty good field for a Tier III, I wonder if it'll be a Tier III R48 tourney, doubt it'll be a Tier II tho.

jimbo mack
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM
sounds like they may upgrade it to a tier 11

~|Naomi|~
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Nice stadium :yeah:

No more having to travel to the Gold Coast :banana:

& what is wrong with travelling to the Gold Coast?:devil: It is a lovely location with such lovely, accomodating locals:angel:

Mattographer
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Honestly, I prefer Gold Coast over Brisbane for the beach and in general! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:49 AM
but no more Canberra classic

That was the week after anyway, and they increased Hobart's draw and made it a Tier 3 (now they just need to upgrade the place, coz it's a dump!)

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Sweet deal. I always thought there should be bigger warm up events to oz...and more of them...

WHY THE HELL WASN'T I BORN IN AUSTRALIA THOUGH?:sad: I mean, I don't even know how big a hectare is (fucking American measurements lol...)

Mattographer
Jul 8th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Sweet deal. I always thought there should be bigger warm up events to oz...and more of them...

WHY THE HELL WASN'T I BORN IN AUSTRALIA THOUGH?:sad: I mean, I don't even know how big a hectare is (fucking American measurements lol...)
:haha:

We don't even know how hot it is with Fahrenheit in Celsius or how fast is it in km/h from mph ;)

DutchieGirl
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:36 AM

We don't even know how hot it is with Fahrenheit in Celsius or how fast is it in km/h from mph ;)

Yeah, and most of the rest of the world uses celcius and km/h. ;)

Babolatpro880
Jul 9th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, and most of the rest of the world uses celcius and km/h. ;)
:lol: I get so confused. I was talking to someone from like Australia one day on MSN and they go omg it's so hot it's like 30 degrees or something like that.

And I'm like, wtf :confused: That's like freezing.

Alicia Rocks
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:01 AM
:lol: I get so confused. I was talking to someone from like Australia one day on MSN and they go omg it's so hot it's like 30 degrees or something like that.

DutchieGirl
Jul 9th, 2006, 01:01 AM

:haha: Well, 30 degrees celcius is quite hot. ;)