PDA

View Full Version : Should Venus and Bob win the mixed doubles....

Jaffas85
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Should Venus and Bob win the mixed doubles do you think it will help restore Venus' game and confidance more so making her a legitimate contender for the U.S. Open title?

Thoughts?

winone23
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Should Venus and Bob win the mixed doubles do you think it will help restore Venus' game and confidance more so making her a legitimate contender for the U.S. Open title?

Thoughts?

Yes, I think it will once she gets a tastes of winners "high" she's going to want more. Even if Venus and Bob do not win they should still play at the US open. Then when Serena comes back they should play doubles.

junlee_vee
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
I'm just glad she's still playing! She needs to play whenever she gets the chance and get match tough (and stay injury FREE!)...however possible!

Reuchlin
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I think it was certainly a pos. (and a great sign of maturity) from Venus to not drop out of mixed once she was out of singles. I don't know if it will help her singles (see R.Stubbs), but it will certainly help her have more fun out on the court.

dreamgoddess099
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Doubles play always helps both sisters. At their best they were winning slams in the singles and the doubles.

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I think it was certainly a pos. (and a great sign of maturity) from Venus to not drop out of mixed once she was out of singles. I don't know if it will help her singles (see R.Stubbs), but it will certainly help her have more fun out on the court.
Venus may be playing for the fun of it, but doubles is how Bob Bryan pays the rent, and I'm quite sure he made Venus well aware of that fact.

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:49 AM
This is for sure helping. Being low on matchplay, all this doubles action is really going to help, otherwise she would be stagnant for like another 3 1/2 weeks, but since she's doing this it will really get her match tough, AND she is getting some much needed practice with her serves and volleys! :)

Fabunny
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I think Venus is serious about improving her game; what better way to do it than to partner with one of the #1 doubles team in the world. Venus is not as good as she need to be at net or as consistent. SHowever, since the mixed doubles began this week, I have seen improvement in her serve, volleys, and groundstrokes compared to her singles play. Besides, this is only her 5th tournament and she needs the match play which is getting slaying the seeded teams in her path. Finally, Venus vowed to win all 12 Grand Slam titles (singles, doubles and mixed at each GS). She and Serena have a bet going and she wants to win.

Infiniti2001
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Venus NEEDS doubles play, because it really helps her game... It just kills me that she hasn't realized that yet :shrug: Even though her forehand and 2nd serve have never been technically sound , she'd never lose as ugly as she loses now in singles when she played doubles with Serena :eek:

Derek.
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:22 AM
It definetly would help. I hope they win! :)

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:24 AM
:lol: why r we still talking about Venus? the gurl needs to retire already

exodus'05
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Playing doubles is a great idea, I hope it'll give her some confidence.
I wonder why she hasn't played doubles before, because she said herself that she needed to get the match rhythm back.

Lulu.
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:55 AM
It will definatly help her game alot. Vee and Rena need to start playing Doubles again it would help them so much

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM
No way! A packed court to see mixed doubles? I wonder why? Venus! It's great to see a big name in doubles as it draws the crowds who get to see really exciting tennis - much more exciting than the base line sluggers.

Cat's Pajamas
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:04 AM

oh really and who's your fav? Davenport? :tape:

she's only 26 for crying out loud and can beat anybody anyday :rolleyes:

if your gonna make such a bold and irrational statement at least bring some supporting evidence :retard:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM
i definitely think they should, and i think serena and her need to get back into the doubles competition together.

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:16 AM
oh really and who's your fav? Davenport? :tape:

she's only 26 for crying out loud and can beat anybody anyday :rolleyes:

if your gonna make such a bold and irrational statement at least bring some supporting evidence :retard:and lose to anybody anyday :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:19 AM
and lose to anybody anyday :rolleyes:
Yes, just like every other player in the history of the game.

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Yes, just like every other player in the history of the game.sadly Venus does it more often than others

junlee_vee
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:24 AM

This pathetic shout out for attention doesn't deserve a serious reply! :haha:

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:28 AM
sadly Venus does it more often than others
According to official WTA Tour statistics, Venus has the seventh-best career winning percentage (.812). Six does qualify as "others," though, so techically speaking, you're right.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:33 AM
it would do WONDERS for her confidence @ net, and I know it would motivate her to get back out there with Ree (the key to their consistentcy and success)

winone23
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM

You wasted 3 brain cells on this post, which you desperately need to conserve. :retard: :retard:

Tennisation
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM
You wasted 3 brain cells on this post, which you desperately need to conserve. :retard: :retard:u wasted more brain cells replying to my post, which u desperately need to conserve

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM
You wasted 3 brain cells on this post, which you desperately need to conserve. :retard: :retard:
You do realize, of course, that would put him one brain cell in the red. ;)

winone23
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:50 AM
u wasted more brain cells replying to my post, which u desperately need to conserve

Conserve your brain cells, your a few cells away from going brain dead. I guess you can't understand the concept "poor thing"
:retard: :retard: :smash: :smash:

sky20748
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
the fact of the matter is venus is playing.everyone yells about how she doesnt play this and doesnt play that.she is trying to re=focus and get things back in order.true she needs to get the techniques back down.not only that she needs to add other elements to her game.everyone wants to stay at the baseline.she needs to serve and volley and do better placements with her shots.the reason she and bob are winning is because they are taking doubles to another level.they are hitting with intensity.she is playing a singles serve for a doubles serve and the opponents arent able to handle that period.i say play on venus work out the kinks and get ready for the hardcourt season.she is one of the hardest hitters out there.how else did she make it to the semi's of the mixed doubles.she realized that she messed up in the singles by slacking.so she is trying to fix it now.she played 2 matches in one day.i say she can handle it.

Martian Jeza
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Each title is good to be taken unless you are a certain girl ( I don't have to mention her name ) ...

mila_mail
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:16 AM
i think venus and bob can defeat the second seed at least, going to the final

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM
According to official WTA Tour statistics, Venus has the seventh-best career winning percentage (.812). Six does qualify as "others," though, so techically speaking, you're right.preach to the troll. :worship:

now, let's all ignore the slime.

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
now on the topic.

any matchplay is better than none, and Venus desperately needs more.

playing doubles requires winning lots of points at the net, which Venus is trying to incorporate more consistently into her game. she's getting there, but she only comes to net when she gets in trouble. even in doubles, she is winning baseline rallies while Bob is outstanding at the net.

playing doubles improves you on-court awareness, and we know how venus can just take a little snooze during her matches. she still doesn't play each point with intensity. two matches where she maintained focus and intensity the entire match that were the exception this past couple of years: SF against Maria and QF against Serena in Miami. Both matches were among the best I've ever seen Venus play. Great serving, controlled aggression, and absolute determination. Remember she almost bageled Serena, so you know that she was on a mission!

winning anything, builds confidence. the more she wins, the better.

I hope she takes the title; I don't think she was prepared to leave Wimbledon without a trophy and a winners check. :lol:

tennislover
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
why not?

Paneru
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Thoughts?
She'd be a legitimate contendor regardless.
Besides, it's some two months away and
anything can happen between now and then.

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM
She looks like she really wants it, she was fist pumping and screaming yes evening which as a fan was great to watch, i think her performance in the mixed shows that she is still mighty hungry

rrfnpump
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM
no, Zvonareva/Ram should win :)

no offence to Venus, but I would hate to see Bob taking the title :fiery:

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM

no offence to Venus, but I would hate to see Bob taking the title :fiery:well, both have SF matches to win, so let's just see.

Kunal
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
nope

Viktymise
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM

no offence to Venus, but I would hate to see Bob taking the title :fiery:
I dnt think Zvonereva/Ram will beat the black siblings, i think its gonna be a Vee/Bob - Black/Black final which would be brilliant i think

SS6888
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
goooo kata/nenad!!