PDA

View Full Version : What was the nicest semi to watch?

arn
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM
What do you think was the nicest, best, most entertaining, highest quality,... match we saw today? Only vote if you actually saw both matches :)

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Justine vs kim...Sharpy vs momo was uglyyy at times.. :tape: battle of nerves from both players...

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I was worrying for kim too much.... so i give it to Amelie v. Maria even though it was more messy.

IceHock
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Amelie vs. Maria was a lot more competitive,seeing different styles going at each other

LH2HBH
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I enjoy watching all 4 players except for Justine so i had to go with Amelie vs. Maria

cellophane
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Amelie vs. Maria. It was exciting in the 3rd set, when it appeared Maria was on her way back to winning after being down 4-0.

auntie janie
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Justine vs Kim. No screeching!

Lenafan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Amelie and Maria. A contrast in styles. Some pretty big momentum swings. Plus the whole Amelie thing with whether she was going to blow a lead. Maria's refusal to give up even when things looked the bleakest. The fact that the 3rd set ended 6-2 was kind of surprising. I was expecting like an 8-6 final set. And definitely not as predictable as the Belgian semis although Henin/Clijsters was easily higher quality tennis. I am biased as I can't stand watching any match involving Henin.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:02 AM
amelie and maria's.

hdfb
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:03 AM
i would have said amelie vs masha just because i loved sharapova losing. :o

but it'd have to be justine and kim even though Clijsters could have made it even better by making it go to a third set. their rallies were awesome, and justine, i am reluctant to say, made some very fine volleys at times that would just barely clip the line and swing ever so quickly away.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Kim and Juju was the better quality of the two. Momo and Masha was up and down from the second set on.

scoobsuk
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I give it to Sharapova vs Mauresmo

Both matches had some good quality tennis in there and some tension and excitement, but for me the Kim vs Justine result had a bit too much predictability about it. I expected Justine to get a tough match and then win in 2 sets and she did so it lacked a bit of fire for me.

The Amelie vs Maria match had many more elements of unpredictability to it - Maria never having beaten Amelie, would Amelie overcome her demons or would she choke a lead away, etc. The tennis may have been, at times, lower in quality than the other match but it made up for it in the drama stakes. It was just a bit more gripping, the intensity of both players was present. Kim, on the other hand, was mostly quite passive and unexpressive.

Drake1980
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Belgians!

Couver
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Well I saw all of Amelie and Maria's match and only 5 games of Kim's and Henin's and I have to say Kim's and Henin's for sure. The shot making was amazing, as was the court coverage and the rallies. Amelie played some fantastic points at times, as did Maria but there match was too up and down and error filled.

arn
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I had the feeling Kim and Justine played +- at the same level, while I thought Amelie always had the upper hand against Maria. I know the amount of sets they played doesn't back up what I feel, but Kim vs Justine was more competitive to me.

Dasha_
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Justine and Kim played better tennis (it takes 2 good players for a great match), but I loved watching Sharapova runing to the net and trying to hit a volley........ And it was great to see Amelie at the net. It crossed my mind - she and Federer in mixed doubles would win mixed doubles Wimbledon title so easy.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Amelie and Maria were most exciting for me.

:inlove:
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Justine-Kim. Higher quality and I didn't have to bite my nails the whole time, screaming!!!

krystlel
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Sharapova/Mauresmo match was definitely more interesting. They haven't played each other in a Grand Slam before whereas Kim and Justine have met so many times before. I was so pissed off this morning since I was watching it on tape and my dad spoiled the result for me while I was halfway through the third set. :rolleyes:

The match-up was interesting seeing Mauresmo tease Sharapova with tricky shots and lure her into the net. (and it was fun seeing Maria trying to volley) I started cheering on Mauresmo and really hoping she'd pull it out after she blew the lead in the second set. Even though Mauresmo was leading throughout the match, I never felt that she would win for certain. As scoobs said, both players were more expressive. Loved that jump of Mauresmo's after she hit the backhand winner and her shouting out trying to push herself in the third set.

The Henin-Hardenne/Clijsters panned out pretty much as expected. There were some good rallies and it was of a slightly higher quality, but not high enough for it to be more interesting than the other semi-final.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Tennis wise Kim/Justine but I felt like you always knew Justine was gonna win it.

Sharapova/Momo was good for the unpredictability but it was awful sometimes. Car crash tv.

Martian Jeza
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
For JHH fans : The match against Kim
For Momo fans : The match against Maria

Neutral opinion : :yawn: who cares...

mila_mail
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:17 AM
maria vs amelie of course

vwfan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM
well, i preferred the sharapova and mauresmo match for the suspense and not the tennis necessarily and then i loved momo's celebration at the end. great to see!

anyone who knows just a little bit about tennis, knows that kim ain't gonna beat justine in a grand slam match. :o i was underwhelmed by justine's grasscourt tennis, though i must say that she did have a few impressive volleys and played the big points well.

but, i have to say neither match came close to the semis of last year. those were just :eek:

in venus/maria, it was some of the best tennis and best rallies and filled with drama. and unlike, momo/maria this year, Venus won the match. she took it to maria and left her demoralized. maria helped momo with 50+ errors and momo just didn't know how to close the door.

in linds/mauremso, you saw two talented players with different styles playing just fantastic tennis.

got to admit it, this year's Wimbledon lacks luster without Venus and Davenport in the later stages of the tournament. to be fair, what could surpass what both ladies brought last year!

tennislover
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM
amelie masha obviously

thrust
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Justine-Kim was far superior tennis. Kim would have beat either Maria or Amelie yesterday, in two sets. Justine played a very good grass court game yesterday. She kept going for her shots even after she missed some. She volleyed very well and that sliced curving backahnd down the line, was awsome! The better grass court player won against an outstanding opponent who played very well.

FrenchY52
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I slept after 10 minutes of Justine's match so
Amélie vs Maria

Grohl
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
mauresmo vs sharapova! cause sharapova lost :o