PDA

View Full Version : The next GS Sharapova will win will be...

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I Wanna Know!!!!!!!!

tennisvulture
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
The first in which she reaches the FINAL. She rarely loses in finals.

franny
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
She lost in two finals this year already didn't she? Anyways, I really don't know anymore. Before, I thought that she was almost there. But now, almost there doenst seem like it means much anymore. I mean, I'm still optimistic, but honestly, I don't see her improving that much by the U.S. Open. Unless she catches on fire like Clijsters did. I think Aus Open 08 will be her best shot. The high bounces should help her. She really was very close this year to defeating Justine. She's alwyas a threat at Wimbledon. But again, as of now, she's only a threat, not a favorite. Not even that likely. She'll have to improve ALOT. Of course, I'd rather have Martian win the Aus Open, so.....

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Who knows . I mean, there are some strong up and comers, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Chakvatadze, Golovin, Safina, Radwanska sisters and even Kusnetsova, Jankovic, Perry, Jamea Jackson and so on. After the current top players are through, any one or more of these ladies, could come through and block Maria out. Kuznetsova is a better player than Maria, and you ca imagine she will be getting more consistent and solid with time (and has also made her second slam final, before Maria and is an all court player).

Kuznetsova, IMO is more likely to be the big factor in the following years, than Maria S, and Im sure the other girls will catch up. If so Maria may never win another slam. Stranger things have happened.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:33 PM
The first in which she reaches the FINAL. She rarely loses in finals.

How many finals has she been in recently... and how many won? She lost Dubai, and Miami and won her only title of over a year and a half in Indian wells with a depleted feild (not defeating a top 5 player).

Oh and Sania Mirza, and Krajicek could also be factors.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM
She lost in two finals this year already didn't she? Anyways, I really don't know anymore. Before, I thought that she was almost there. But now, almost there doenst seem like it means much anymore. I mean, I'm still optimistic, but honestly, I don't see her improving that much by the U.S. Open. Unless she catches on fire like Clijsters did. I think Aus Open 08 will be her best shot. The high bounces should help her. She really was very close this year to defeating Justine. She's alwyas a threat at Wimbledon. But again, as of now, she's only a threat, not a favorite. Not even that likely. She'll have to improve ALOT. Of course, I'd rather have Martian win the Aus Open, so.....

MARTIAN!? or do u mena martina? :p

I think she could win AUS OPEN or WIMBLEDON in 08. I think she just needs to lose more to get even more fire behind her, clean up the net game, and get passed this SF block she is having. =)

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM
honestly, i don't think she'll win the US Open this year. who knows with her, it's too hard to guess because she hasn't been beyond the semi's since her first GS title.

canoe.
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Aus 07. :)

Derek.
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Who knows . I mean, there are some strong up and comers, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Chakvatadze, Golovin, Safina, Radwanska sisters and even Kusnetsova, Jankovic, Perry, Jamea Jackson and so on.

I don't think that Chakvetadze, Golovin, the Radwanska sisters (maybe Ula), Jankovic, Perry, and Jackson will reach Maria's level.

Kuznetsova is already at Maria's level, maybe even higher than her.

Vaidisova, Ivanovic, and Safina are still a step below her, but I think they will reach her eventually.

Also, there are juniors that are coming behind her.

Still, I think Maria will win more grand slams. ;)

RenaSlam.
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
The last option...allez!

Couver
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
The positive for her is she's reached the SF's of all of the majors except RG, so at least she knows she can play on the other surfaces and she's gotten close at OZ and USO. Just going by her game though I would say the OZ and USO are her best bets after Wimbledon, which I think will always be her best shot since she admits it's her favorite slam.

crazillo
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I think she has a shot next season, but not this one...

LH2HBH
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
For some reason I see her winning at Aus. She seems to enjoy playing there and I can see her holding that trophy for some reason.

darrinbaker00
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Wimbledon 2004. :devil:

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM
For some reason I see her winning at Aus. She seems to enjoy playing there and I can see her holding that trophy for some reason.

Well when WE want to see things so badly, we often mistake this feeling for... 'i can see it for some reason'.

By By Aus 2007, Kim will be making her last charge, Hingis will be ready to fight, hopfully Serena will be fighting back, Venus will be marking her ground, Justine will be looking to make Amends, Kusnetsova will believe, and Amelie will look to defend. It will take a miraculous draw and some big retirements so Maria to win. Not forgetting Lindsay and Pierce will be looking to fight. They are all better than Maria.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:45 PM
:tape: The last option is the most popular.. by FAR!

thrust
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM
After Justine, Kim, Amelie, Venus and Serena retire. She really needs to get a real coach, or she will become another Andy Roddick.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM

serena is going to be looking for some serious revenge...but i agree, i think whenever sharapova wins another slam, it will be in australia

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Her best chance is wimbledon,i don't see her winning the ao or fo because the courts are slow,uso maybe but..i think it will be a while before she wins one,i don't think she will get one next year.

darrinbaker00
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM
After Justine, Kim, Amelie, Venus and Serena retire. She really needs to get a real coach, or she will become another Andy Roddick.
Or, at the very least, a more subtle coach..... ;)

-VSR-
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Maybe a slam where Venus, Serena, Justine, Kim, Mauresmo, and Safina are not present. 2008 and beyond... :p

Gowza
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:08 AM
don't know what year but i would say either aus open or wimbledon.

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Well when WE want to see things so badly, we often mistake this feeling for... 'i can see it for some reason'.

By By Aus 2007, Kim will be making her last charge, Hingis will be ready to fight, hopfully Serena will be fighting back, Venus will be marking her ground, Justine will be looking to make Amends, Kusnetsova will believe, and Amelie will look to defend. It will take a miraculous draw and some big retirements so Maria to win. Not forgetting Lindsay and Pierce will be looking to fight. They are all better than Maria.

Maria has a winning head-to-head with Hingis, Davenport and Pierce. They are NOT better than she.

Maria is also by far the youngest and has a greater chance of significant improvement in her game in the coming years. Sveta also but she is almost two years older than Maria and has had more time to grow her game.

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Davenport is better than Maria but she too has a problem keeping her mind together.

AjdeNate!
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:46 AM
As soon as she improves her serve; to be more dominant, and her footwork, she'll start winning again.

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Davenport is better than Maria but she too has a problem keeping her mind together.

How so?:confused: Their head-to-head is 4-1 Maria.

Hazy
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Didn't she lose all those SF's in three sets? So she's not that far away from at least making it to the finals again I think...

new-york
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:53 AM

bringing the h2h to compare players' greatness is really dangerous.

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:55 AM

Davenport has accomplished so much more than her,you can't go by head to head to see who's better,and besides when Davenport plays good she has a tendency to beat people like 6-0,6-0.Maria is a lot younger,so you can bring this up in about 6 years.

mirzalover
its so hard to say because the top players seem to be in a wide range of like 8 players amelie justin kim maria venus serena kuznetsova. and then you have players who could bet them any day of the week because their so talented petrova patty anastasia elena and nicole but i would not be surpised if she won the aussie open next year or wimbly

darrinbaker00
bringing the h2h to compare players' greatness is really dangerous.
How so? If you and I play each other five times and you win four of the five, how can I claim to be better than you? Because I have a better record against someone else than you do?

mirzalover
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Maria has a winning head-to-head with Hingis, Davenport and Pierce. They are NOT better than she.

Maria is also by far the youngest and has a greater chance of significant improvement in her game in the coming years. Sveta also but she is almost two years older than Maria and has had more time to grow her game.

they all have done more than maria at this point in their career so they are better than her at this point in time

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Davenport has accomplished so much more than her,you can't go by head to head to see who's better,and besides when Davenport plays good she has a tendency to beat people like 6-0,6-0.Maria is a lot younger,so you can bring this up in about 6 years.

Oh, for heavens sake I'm not talking about who has had the greatest career.:rolleyes:

I was talking about who would beat the other at a slam which was on topic when I brought it up.:lol: At this point in their careers, Maria owns Lindsay.

Lenafan
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Tough crowd. Mentioning Golovin, Chakvedatzke, Perry. LMFAO. Maria has unrealistic expectations thrust on her. She has to improve on her variety, her volleying her fitness. She realizes this which is a huge plus and I feel she will improve a lot of these as I believe she really learns from each loss. Plus her only current strategy is to just hit harder when the going gets tough. I think with experience she will learn that this is not an optimal strategy. She also already competes very well and fights better than the young players. Sharapova actually reminds me of Mary Pierce in a way.

I am not comparing Maria to Lindsay, but there was a point that Lindsay really had to work on her mobility. I think she, Kuznetsova, and Vaidisova are the 3 that will reach their potential and will stand out in the next generation. I think it's popular to say Safina, but I don't buy that. I believe Vaidisova will be the best of them based on what I have seen. But for those who think Sharapova won't win another Grand Slam or write her off at the age of 19 because she lost to the #1 player on argubably her best surface is assinine.

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Oh, for heavens sake I'm not talking about who has had the greatest career.:rolleyes:

I was talking about who would beat the other at a slam which was on topic when I brought it up.:lol: At this point in their careers, Maria owns Lindsay.

It's not really owning,4-1???not even close,and they all have been wicked close matches except for the double bagel Linds handed Maria.Both playing their best,Lindsay would win.here's your eyes too:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .I hate that

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:11 AM
It's not really owning,4-1???not even close,and they all have been wicked close matches except for the double bagel Linds handed Maria.Both playing their best,Lindsay would win.here's your eyes too:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .I hate that

Whatever, actual results mean nothing to you, fine...

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Whatever, actual results mean nothing to you, fine...

no they do,it's just you think she owns Davenport when she clearly doesn't and you stated she was a better player.Davenport had a better game.She could do more,your saying Maria is better than her based on their head to head.

Lindsayfan32
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Maria hasn't made a slam final since she won Wimbledon 2004. I think one slam wonder is a great tag for her right now and another is highly over rated.

Brooklyn90
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM
i don't know? maybe something after wimby 2008...

thelittlestelf
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Err, well she has a lot of time to improve and I think that she definitely has the tools to become a great player, but she'll need much more than just raw power to win another slam. I'd give her a decent chance in '07 to win one but a much bigger one in '08. She'll never be able to beat a Mauresmo, Henin, or Clijsters if she doesn't develop an effective net game, however. They all know how to draw her into net with short slices/groundstrokes and she needs to learn to be able to hit those shots in an offensive position instead of a defensive one in order to improve her record against them. Even looking at how Penetta almost beat her showed Maria's lack of variety. She used tons of variety to flat-foot Maria and probably would have beaten her if she had been mentally tougher. Contrarily, in the next round Maria beat Elena quite soundly when Elena wasn't even playing badly simply because she didn't change up the pace enough.

I'm not sure if lack of experience or motivation is really a factor here, I just think that a lot of players have figured out a way to beat her. Power only goes so far.

Gowza
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Maria hasn't made a slam final since she won Wimbledon 2004. I think one slam wonder is a great tag for her right now and another is highly over rated.

serena won her first slam us open 99 and didn't reach her 2nd final until 2001 us open. henin's first final was in 01 and she didn't get to her next final nearly 2 years later in 03. venus had her first final in 97 and didn't reach another until nearly 3 years later in 2000. so maria is still on par with those players, some would say she may even be ahead of henin and venus because maria actually won her first slam final whereas those 2 didn't and they had to wait 2-3 years to even reach another final and win their first. give her a bit more time, she was 17 when she won her first, she's still only 19, it's not like she's been losing 3rd and 4th rounds since then, she's been reaching QFs and SFs just like players like venus, justine and serena did.

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
How so? If you and I play each other five times and you win four of the five, how can I claim to be better than you? Because I have a better record against someone else than you do?

Exactly.

jacobruiz
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:02 AM
serena won her first slam us open 99 and didn't reach her 2nd final until 2001 us open. henin's first final was in 01 and she didn't get to her next final nearly 2 years later in 03. venus had her first final in 97 and didn't reach another until nearly 3 years later in 2000. so maria is still on par with those players, some would say she may even be ahead of henin and venus because maria actually won her first slam final whereas those 2 didn't and they had to wait 2-3 years to even reach another final and win their first. give her a bit more time, she was 17 when she won her first, she's still only 19, it's not like she's been losing 3rd and 4th rounds since then, she's been reaching QFs and SFs just like players like venus, justine and serena did.

It's all been said many times but bears repeating.:yeah:

ezekiel
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Serena had a more rounded game really and was built like a tank in a positive way so there was no reason for her to fade or weaken. She could sustain her power game due to her strong body and add more to it.

Maria is build like a leaf and riding youthful confidence no fear game that her body is not likely to sustain. Indeed she must add more to her game just to sustain level and inevitable wear and tear that her body suffers and will suffer. But she appears stubborn and unable to add more to her game and that's why fears and predictions of female Andy Roddick or Leyton Hewitt are valid .

waratahsrock
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Highly overrated? Maria continues to consistantly go deep into the draw at the Grand Slam events and is continuing to improve.

MH0861
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Don't see her winning one in the near future. She hasn't been able to prove that she can hang with the Belgians and Mauresmo, and she usually will have to go through atleast one, if not more, en route to a title.

MH0861
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Highly overrated? Maria continues to consistantly go deep into the draw at the Grand Slam events and is continuing to improve.

I think she's overrated, but only because she is so hyped - atleast here in the US. I don't think she lives up to the hype, but I think it would take a lot for anyone to be able to. People expect a lot out of her.

mirzalover
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I think she's overrated, but only because she is so hyped - atleast here in the US. I don't think she lives up to the hype, but I think it would take a lot for anyone to be able to. People expect a lot out of her.

you took the words right out of my mouth :worship: :worship:

Robbie.
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Well if she can't beat Clijsters, Henin or Mauresmo - which she has demonstrated she can't for whatever reason - the chances look to be slim in the forseeable future. I really thought today was her chance to step up to the mark on her best surface, but she didn't. And let's face it, there is no top player you would rather face in a GS semifinal than Mauresmo. She does still have time on her side though, and you don't know what the future holds in terms of injuries to other players etc.

thelittlestelf
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM

I was talking about who would beat the other at a slam which was on topic when I brought it up.:lol: At this point in their careers, Maria owns Lindsay.I think Maria's good record against Lindsay has a lot more to do with Lindsay's bad luck than Maria's excellent play. Even just taking the results at face value, all of Maria's wins over Lindsay have been in close three set battles, and Lindsay also has the infamous 60 60 win over Maria. That alone is pretty far from ownage. Not to take any credit away from Maria, but when you also combine that with the obvious factors of Lindsay's injuries and the Wimbledon rain delay, it becomes quite far from a dominating record.

MH0861
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I think Maria's good record against Lindsay has a lot more to do with Lindsay's bad luck than Maria's excellent play. Even just taking the results at face value, all of Maria's wins over Lindsay have been in close three set battles, and Lindsay has the infamous 60 60 win over Maria. That alone is pretty far from ownage. Not to take credit away from Maria, but it's undeniable that Lindsay's injuries and the rain delay at Wimbledon were clear cut factors in their head to head.

I have to agree.

If used a H2H alone as a basis for who is "better", you'd get things like Myskina and Tara Snyder being better than Maria!

Chunchun
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:21 AM
no more for her :devil:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:21 AM
US Open 2006, Aussie Open 2007 or Wimbledon 2007. But that depends on her form, luck of the draw and her opponents.

French Open 2007 is quite out of the question.... unless she keeps training on clay all the time....