PDA

View Full Version : Shriver: Two Grand Slam finals in one

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Updated: July 6, 2006, 4:51 PM ET
Two Grand Slam finals in one

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/columnists/Shriver_Pam_55.jpg (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=pam_shriver&name=SEARCH_m_archive&srvc=sz)
By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com

WIMBLEDON, England -- For women's tennis, this Wimbledon final between No. 1 seed Amelie Mauresmo and No. 3 seed Justine Henin-Hardenne is going to seem like unfinished business.

They met at the Australian Open final in January, only to see Henin-Hardenne retire in the second set because of a reaction to anti-inflammatories. Almost every tennis fan felt cheated by Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal.

So Saturday's final will almost be like two Grand Slam finals in one.

A lot of people are going to be cheering for Mauresmo: She's a more likeable player and an underdog despite being the No. 1 player in the world. If she can win Wimbledon, that will erase all doubt about her being a true No. 1.

Henin-Hardenne is a much better clutch player, and I trust her more than Mauresmo in this match; but people will believe in Amelie more if she wins Saturday. She's just one match shy of gaining true respect as the No. 1 player in the world.

If Henin-Hardenne wins, she will be the 10th player to win the women's career Grand Slam and will raise herself closer to the elite women in Grand Slam history. It would be the sixth Grand Slam title of her career, and if she plays long enough, it wouldn't surprise me to see the No. 3 player in the world win 12 or 13 majors.

Brad Gilbert picked Henin-Hardenne to win Wimbledon without losing a set, and so far he's been right. I don't know if she will win the final, but Mauresmo will at least take a set from the Belgian. The Frenchwoman's game is better suited for grass because it allows her to be more aggressive and to serve and volley.

A ton will be on the line for both players Saturday.

ESPN tennis analyst Pam Shriver won 21 singles and 112 doubles crowns, including 22 Grand Slam titles, and was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2002.

AllezCumonJiayou
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:56 PM
this is so unfair to amelie, if justine wins wimbledon, everyone will remember it like Justine was the real winner this year even though they both will have one slam each.

Justine's retirement thing was really mean and sneaky, she basically deny mauresmo the chance to feel like a real slam winner and have a psychological advantage over her.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:16 PM
great short article pam!!!!!!!! GO AMELIE, knock that girl right off the court!!!!!!!!:)

dizoo
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Pam Shriver is an asshole
she always says bad things bout Justine
probably she's a frustraded player

moon
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I just hope Momo remembers what Justine did in Australia and takes it to her!

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I just hope Momo remembers what Justine did in Australia and takes it to her!
I think its better for momo to forget it as shes the player who suffers from nerves during the match :tape: it might just get her thinking too much and get frustrated..Best chance for momo to win a match is to play like shes got nothing to lose..If she pressure herself into winning something,it just slips by...

darrinbaker00
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Please read this:
http://www.tennisfame.com/enshrinees/PamShriver.html

"Frustrated" player? I don't think so.

_Cell-chuk
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Oh Pam Shriver, just shut up.
What kind of a writer are you?
Noone remembers the Aussie final except you.
Just get over with it.

Mr_Molik
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I REMEMBER AUSSIE FINAL
go amelie!

mirzalover
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I REMEMBER AUSSIE FINAL
go amelie!

yeah i remember it to and when amelie retires when people talk about her first grandslam title they will say something about justine

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I remeber the ao too,and if i was Amelie i would be going into that match with a vengeance,saying she robbed you.So take it to her Amelie!!

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM

shriver is probably the most fair commentator...give me a break:rolleyes:

Lenafan
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM
It seems like some of these writers like Shriver or Wertheim spend like 5 minutes coming up with their articles. 2 Grand Slams in one. Brilliant stuff!!!! Thanks for pointing out Brad Gilbert's opinion too. Maybe next time she can find out who Patty Schnyder likes to win the tournament. They actually get paid for this type of stuff??? I wish I had their job.

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM

I don't really see anything bad she said about Justine??Everything she said is basicly right.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I don't really see anything bad she said about Justine??Everything she said is basicly right.

thank you:wavey: :worship:

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM
thank you:wavey: :worship:

Your welcome!:wavey:

Junex
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:19 AM
So does this mean Amelie has a lot more to prove than justine? :tape:

Justine you...little :devil:

:lol:

Mightymirza
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM
So does this mean Amelie has a lot more to prove than justine? :tape:

Justine you...little :devil:

:lol:
yeah Juju has said it hundreds of times that shes got nothing to prove to anyone anymore...

Shenanigans
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Amélie is going to tear Justine apart she has that look in her eyes, Amélie will win!

DragonFlame
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Amélie is going to tear Justine apart she has that look in her eyes, Amélie will win!

you have no idea how much justine wants that career slam!
may the best win :)

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I honestly still don't get the fuss about the Australian open final. :shrug:

Who in his right mind would think that Justine would retire at one set down and a break down so early in the second set, if she was actually fit to compete????? :confused: It wasn't like Mauresmo was totally dominating the match. She was content with putting the ball in especially in the latter parts of the match, so Justine could've easily turned it around if she found some form.

JustineTime
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:06 AM
this is so unfair to amelie, if justine wins wimbledon, everyone will remember it like Justine was the real winner this year even though they both will have one slam each.

Better recheck your math there, Slugger. ;)

junlee_vee
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:16 AM
I honestly still don't get the fuss about the Australian open final. :shrug:

Who in his right mind would think that Justine would retire at one set down and a break down so early in the second set, if she was actually fit to compete????? :confused: It wasn't like Mauresmo was totally dominating the match. She was content with putting the ball in especially in the latter parts of the match, so Justine could've easily turned it around if she found some form.

:haha:

Jasmin
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Pretty much. Everything she said this time is true. There's articles about a lot of people not rooting for Henin regardless of the hard times because of sportsmanship or like of.

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
:eek: Wow, 12 to 13 Majors...I dunno...maybe 8 or 9, but 13 is really pushing it! :eek: